Chapter 19: A Night to Remember

Tonight is supposed to be the best night of my life and yet, I am not in the exact spirits I expected. It's been two weeks since Zane and I basically broke up in the car and things just haven't been the same. Every time I see him he avoids my presence and all I want to do is talk to him and apologize. I was a complete bitch to him and I deeply regret it.

 Jazlynn was released from the hospital a week ago so she's excited to even be attending prom after everything. I go over to mom and dad's house to get ready for tonight and dad is way happier than I expected. " Are you excited for tonight?! I can't wait to see you in your dress!" he says while hugging me. Mom manages to waddle her way to us and I let out a laugh. " Mom when are you having my baby brother because you look stressed" I say jokingly. She laughs and rubs her belly and embraces me with excitement. " You are going to love the dress I picked for you, and so is everyone in the room. No one will resist you, including Zane" she adds. I can't help but get a little sad when I hear Zane"s name knowing I messed everything up. Mom and Dad hug me together and I suddenly don't feel empty anymore. 

  I am finally dressed and I love it! It's a long red gown that hugs my body nicely and exposes my back a little

  I am finally dressed and I love it! It's a long red gown that hugs my body nicely and exposes my back a little. I must say mom outdid herself with this! " Karmaa! Let's go you're already an hour late for your prom bebe!" dad yells. I take one more moment to admire myself in the mirror and begin to head downstairs. As I walk down to meet my parents, dad is super shocked when he sees me, and mom's emotions are running high. " My baby you look so gorgeous! " he says. I can tell dad wants to fight tears but it doesn't work. I give him a long hug and I can tell he doesn't want to let me go. "Alright Matt she needs to leave now" she says. He gives me one last hug before he lets me go with his bodyguards. Yes, I said bodyguards. Ever since we told Mom about the messages at the hospital she told Dad and well you know. Esteban has been my dad's best friend and protector for all of my life. His daughter use to play with Jace in I when we were younger so yea Esteban has had some years with us. Esteban holds the car door open for me to get in and I can't help but look back at my parents and smile as I walk into the car, and I see them continue to smile at me also. 

  Finally, I make it to the school and I see so many beautiful people walking inside and I instantly get excited. I walk out of the car and take a deep exhale just admiring the moment and feeling super happy. I make my way towards the front doors and I run into Jazlynn, who is way to hype right now. " Oh my god! Karmaa you look amazing! " she says. I understand what she's been through but it doesn't change the past but let's not ruin the moment. " You look pretty Jazlynn " I add. She smiles super hard and I can't help but laugh at her. " So how have you been? " I asked. " Listen I know things are basically back to normal with us, so to answer your real question no, I have not received any more text messages and I wasn't able to really see who shot me that day but I seriously don't think Jace is dead Karmaa" she replied. I nod and just want to forget I even asked. She takes my hand as we both walk to the gym. 

 I walk into the gym and not by anyone's surprise but all eyes lock on me and I get butterflies. I feel like the center of attention and it kind of feels good. Through all of the eyes, I only feel one person's and I know exactly who it is. I spot him through the crowd and I can't help how I feel about him. We both may be upset at each other, but love trumps all. He walks to me and I can't help but look at him up and down and bite my lip, he looks so good. I think mom told him what color I was wearing because we match completely.  With a grey suit and a red silk shirt and pocket square, I completely fall in love with him again.

 " You look so beautiful Karmaa" he says. He grabs my waist and pulls me close. " Zane... I'm sorry for being so selfish and disrespectful. You deserve so much and yet I put you through so much. " I reply. He smiles at me and I smile in return. " You're right, I do deserve so much. But I deserve someone like you Karmaa. I love you and I only want the best for you, I don't mean any harm" he says passionately. I can't help but kiss him and he kisses me back. I missed this, I missed him. I missed his touch, smell, smile, everything. We break from the kiss and I walk him to the dance floor. As we dance the night away, everything feels so good with Zane. I love how comfortable he makes me feel. When I was with Troy it was a constant battle of how I could please him and he never did the same with me which is why I couldn't ask for a better boyfriend.

 " Alright, senior class! It is now time to announce our Prom King and Queen! " Ms. Smith mentions. The crowd goes crazy and I can't wait to hear the results. "Our Prom King is... our very own quarterback Mr. Zane Mitchel! " she screams in the microphone. I scream and hug him and he makes his way to the stage to get his crown. How did he even get nominated?! I'm super happy for him. " And now for our Prom Queen... captain of the cheerleading squad Miss Karmaa White!". I look around confused but excited by the news. What the hell?! Jazlynn comes behind me to push me to the stage and I make my way to Ms.Smith. The crowd continues to cheer and I can't help but smile about it. Ms.Smith places the tiara on my head and the sash on my body and I become overwhelmed with joy. I will remember this moment forever, I just wish Jace were here to embarrass us both with his loud cheers. I look to my right and see Zane smiling at me and we walk to the dance floor where we do our King and Queen dance. 

We dance slowly and Zane doesn't let up on eye contact at all. " I love you Zane " I said, he smiles at me, and before he could say anything he breaks eye contact and looks in the direction behind me. His eyes widen as a sign of concern but before I can ask him, he spins me to trade places. I look at him confused, then multiple gunshots abrupt and I see Zane's body jerk a total of 3 times before I catch his body, and we both drop to the floor. 

" ZANE! ZANE! BABY PLEASE DON'T! ZANE! SOMEBODY HELP!HELP!HELP ME PLEASE! " I screamed, and at this moment I felt my life was over.