Chapter 9: Rumors

*EXPLICIT LANGUAGE*

      My heart,  sinks. Is this really happening? A fucking sex tape? Anyone who knows me would know I didn't do this! But does anyone really know me? This is crazy! As I stand in shock, somehow Zane looks at me to make light of the situation. " Karma, listen I know I haven't known you, but look at me" he says. I can't help but look away, I feel so stupid for even coming back here, why didn't I listen to my dad?! " Please Karmaa, look at me I need you to focus" he replies. I look at him with tears in my eyes, this time I'm not sad, I'm angry and the rage wants to burst out of me. He grabs my shoulders and I latch on to his eye contact. How is he doing this? He's getting me to trust him with just his eyes.

  " I know this is a lot to deal with, I know more than you think. Jace always talked about you, and by a sense of your character, I know you didn't do this. We need to go before people find out where you are and crowd you with cameras and questions, okay? " he demands. I agree as he puts his varsity jacket over me followed by his arm. He walks out of the bathroom to see if the hallways are still clear. " Were good but I'm pretty sure the rally is done which means we don't have time, now where is your car?" he asks me. I answer him and he pulled my arm to direct me out of the bathroom. I become numb to shit like this. First day of school and it's filled with bullshit. Karen and her ego this morning, and now this rumor that people pray to be true. Karmaa what are you going to do? People continue to walk over me time and time again. What needs to changed?

   Zane runs in front of me while trying to avoid others, and I can't help but think why is he helping me. As we make it to the car I hear everyone leaving the field. " Karmaa do you have your keys? " he asks. I shake my head no, knowing we have another problem. Zane looks around to make sure no one is near as he comes up with another plan. 

                                   *CELLPHONE RINGS*

It's Jace. Zane looks at me waiting for me to answer my phone, but what can I say I am completely numb. Zane eventually snatches my phone and answers. He puts the phone on speaker so both he and I can hear. " Karmaa! where are you? I have your things " he says. Zane looks for me to answer but he answers instead. " She's with me, hurry and come to the parking lot we need to get her out of here," he says holding the phone close to his mouth. " What the hell is going on?! " he shouts. Zane rolls his eyes at the phone as if he just wants to hear he's coming to us. " Bro! enough of that shit hurry now! " he yells. " The hallways are packed, everyone is talking can I please be let known of what the article is! " he says. I wanted to snatch the phone and ask Jace why the fuck is he mad when I should be, but I let Zane talk. After 3 minutes of both of them arguing Jace makes it outside in which others were starting to do the same. " Shit! Karmaa I got you okay? " he says while holding on to my wrist. I've never felt this much security other than my dad before. He made me feel better but also made me feel safe.

  " Karmaa! " yells someone leaving the building. Zane snatches the keys from Jace and picks me up to put me in the car. A rush of students begins to run towards our direction as if we were throwing money! This shit is ridiculous, all for some fake news?! Ugh! As Zane lightly tosses me in the passenger seat, he closes the door and rushes to the driver's seat before anyone can try to rush in. As he makes it in the car and lets out a sigh he looks at me. " Are you okay? " he asks. He pulls my hair from my face as if he wants me to look him in his eyes, which I do. " Yeah, I'm fine " I answered scarcely. Phone flashes are everywhere and the car starts to shake back and forth, Zane turns on the car and directs me to put my seatbelt on. As I fasten my seatbelt I think of this morning with Moira and I know exactly how she feels... this is crazy. 

   Zane begins to beep but nobody is moving. We sit in silence and we begin to hear a chant go on. " BLOODY KARMAA! BLOODY KARMAA! ".  I bring my knees to my face and cry. This isn't the story, you've got it all wrong. Zane then backs up the car almost hitting people, which made a clear path by just backing up. He backed up enough for us to escape the parking lot. When I finish crying I look up and see Zane worried. We are now at a distance from the school and I feel a little better. He runs his hands through my hair to get me to feel comfortable. " Are you alright? " he asks. And for the first time, I answered this question honestly. " No " I reply. My phone begins to ring and it's my dad.

                                          *CELLPHONE RINGS*

" Dad! Dad! I should've listened to you I'm so sorry dad. Someone made a rumor about me that's not true! I never should've come back... " I cry on the phone. As I pour my heart out on the phone he comforts me and calms me down. " Bebe, who are you with? Jace? " he asked. I looked over at Zane and watch him as I answer. " I'm with Zane. Jace's godbrother. " He asked if he can speak to him and I hand him the phone quickly. " Thank you for taking care of my daughter " he said. As I look out of the window I can tell Zane looked at me and answered " Without a doubt Mr. White " and it filled my not-so-broken heart. 

  We pull up to Jace's house after 20 minutes of just driving in circles. We sit in the car and just before Zane tried to leave the car I grabbed his arm, signaling for him not to leave me. He sits back in the seat and closes the door. " Thank you. People I've known a lifetime ate up the rumor before you did, so thank you. " I said. He looks down then gives me the eye contact I've been waiting on. " You don't need to thank me, I would do it a million more times if I need to. I know a good person when I see one " he adds. We gaze into each other's eyes once more as if this is our routine, he begins to lean in but I had to stop him, " Um, I kind of threw up when you found me in the bathroom, so this really wouldn't be the perfect time " I say covering my mouth with his jacket. We both let out a little laugh as he sits back in the seat.

" Karmaa? " he asks softly. I look at him awaiting to hear his question. " If that isn't the real story, then what is ? " he asked, and for a moment my mind draws blank and I become scared to even move. He notices my body language and tells me to forget he even asked, and truthfully I'm glad he did, lives will be ruined including mine.