Fred Weasley: In My Way || P2

"Neville?"

"Hey," He sat at the chair in front of you. "Are you okay? I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now."

"Um... y-yeah I'm okay. I'm used to it. Holden just... he's had a really hard upbringing. He deserves someone to care about him."

"But he doesn't care about you," Neville told you. "That enough is obvious. If he cared about you, he wouldn't... hit you like he does."

"He's just... physical," You continued defending Holden. Because you knew if someone had gotten him in trouble for what he's done, you'd get the blunt of all of his anger.

You're trying to save yourself.

Neville reached a hand out towards yours across the table but you flinched when he got close. He retracted his hand with a heavy frown.

"Love, you should really let someone help you. This isn't safe for you."

"I'm okay, Neville. Really," You stood up with your books held tightly to your chest. "Just... don't tell anyone what you've seen, okay?"

"Fine. Just... at least let me take you to Pomfrey. I bet ice would feel brilliant on that cheek of yours."

"Okay," You nodded. "But... quickly. I don't want him seeing me with another guy. He'd come for you too."

"I'm not scared of him," Neville said bravely. "I'm more scared of him hurting you again."

You walked with Neville to the nurse wing and made up a story about why you had a bright red and welted cheek. She bought it, thankfully, and provided you with an ice pack.

The second you placed the ice against your skin, you nearly cried at the relief it brought. The burning sensation immediately left and all you were left with was a dull sting. Which was a lot more tolerable than a burn.

"Better?" Neville gave you a halfhearted smile.

"So much better," You smiled at Pomfrey. "Thank you."

"Of course, dear. Now, be more careful, yes?"

You and Neville sat in the nurse wing together long enough for your cheek to stop hurting. The redness had gone down to a faint pink but your skin was still slightly raised. It's barely noticeable though, so not anything you should be too worried about.

"I have to get to potions," You told Neville on your way out of the nurse wing. "Thank you for the help. Really. It's... nice to have a guy friend I don't have to be scared of."

"I won't ever hurt you. You don't have to be scared of me," Neville gave you a friendly smile. "You can come to me. You know... whenever he's not around."

"Not likely. He has spies," You sighed heavily. "Thank you anyway, though, Neville."

You left him in the nurse wing and headed to potions. But what you didn't know was that after you were out of eyeshot, Neville turned right towards the Gryffindor tower.

If he couldn't face Holden to confront him... he was gonna go to someone he knew who could.

Well... two someones.

———————————————————————
a/n: lol, I love you all so much, but none of you guessed Neville and my lil Nev lovin' heart hurts 😂 but- development. writing the next part now!