Chapter 26 (2/13/2014)

26

Alexis POV

The moment I parked my car I already knew that a party is on going based on the noise that can be heard outside despite the thick walls of the mansion. Bumaba na ako sa kotse ko at ibinigay sa driver ang susi ng kotse para siya na ang mag park. Then I walked towards the pathway leading to the den. Sa library ako dadaan dahil mukhang sa living room ang party.

I am not a party snob, in fact, I’ve had my fill of parties. Sa Paris, I partied almost every night. Kaya siguro gusto ko ng katahimikan kahit ngayon lang. Kaya naman, nung nagkaroon ako ng chance na magbakasyon, I immediately grab the opportunity. I booked a ticket to the Philippines. My father’s country.

Ang tagal ko na ding hindi nakapunta dito and I planned on staying on my house in one of the plush villages in the metro which I’ve acquired recently. Pero hindi pa ako nakadalawang araw, I was already bored.

That house was too big for a single person like me but then it was a good investment and real estate investment had become a hobby.

Pumasok na ako sa library at dumiretso sa hallway going to the sitting room where there’s an elevator going to the second floor. Supposedly, didiretso na ako sa kwarto ko but when I passed by the security room, pumasok ako dun and turned on the LED monitor that almost occupied the whole wall. I keyed in the password on the control panel and started watching the CCTV footage of the cameras all over the mansion.

I clicked on the screen that shows the living room where the party is on going and zoomed it in. I then saw my twin talking to one of his friends. But my attention diverted to a girl who nearly fell on the floor if not for the sofa.

I chuckled. Iinom inom hindi naman pala kaya. Nung sa tingin ko maayos naman ang party, I turned off the monitor and went out of the security room tapos pumunta na akong room ko.  Naligo ako at humiga ako sa kama and soon after I fell asleep. Nagising na lang ako dahil nakaramdam ako ng gutom. I checked on the bedside clock and it says 1AM. I went out of my room to grab some food at the kitchen. Hindi na masyadong maingay ang party nung nasa kitchen na ako. Papunta na ulit ako sa sitting room at pabalik sa kwarto ko when I bumped into someone.

“I’m sorry.” I heard her say. It was quite dark in the hallway kaya naman hindi ko masyadong naaninag ang mukha niya. I am helping her to her feet when she clung to me and nozzled my neck. I stiffened. Who wouldn’t? Any sane man would react that way lalo na at nakahawak ako sa bewang niya where I could feel her softness in my hands.

Then she licked my ear and I hissed. Alam ba ng babaeng ito ang ginagawa niya? I am about to stop her when she spoke near my ear. She said something that raised my libido into full throttle.

“Uhhhh…I want to eat you. You are so delicious, so yummy, so…” She said sexily and licked the side of my lips. I instantly felt my hard on and my emotions go haywire. I cupped her cheeks and kissed her thoroughly. I guide her to the elevator papuntang room ko.

Next thing I know, We’ve had a one night stand. It was supposed to be normal. No big deal. I am used to one night stands, to flings, to casual relationships. Her being a virgin didn’t even matter. I’ve had a fair share of virgins myself. I am not a playboy but with the kind of crowd I am into, it was normal.  And I wasn’t even surprised when I woke up to find her gone. It’s no big deal. She’s just another girl. Or so I thought.

Until my twin asked for a favor from me later that day.

“I can’t passed up that opportunity Kuya. Minsan lang sila mag bigay ng scholarship and I’d be damned to turn it down. Pero hindi ko naman pwedeng pabayaan ang school or else I won’t graduate. And besides kayang kaya mo na yun. Ilang beses na ba tayong nagpanggap? C’mon!” And he is right. We often switch places lalo na nung mga teenagers kami. And it was fun. It was always fun because we are so alike, no one barely noticed that our eyes have different shades.

“I am not sure Lexie. Gusto kong pumuntang Amanpulo.” 

“You can go there once I’m back. It’s just 2 months Kuya. At 3 months ang vacation mo. You can spend the remaining month there. Please. Pretty please. I need to graduate and I need to attend that fashion class in Paris too.” He pouted.

“I’ll go check first. If I don’t like the environment, I am not doing it.” But my twin just grinned because we both knew that my answer is as good as yes.

Then Amanda and I were introduced and any doubts about pretending to be Lexie flew into thin air. I immediately recognized her because I looked at her face when she was asleep that night. And I don’t know what got into me when I gave her my real name and not Lexie’s name. I must be out of my mind. I even ignored the glances of my cousins sa pagbigay ko ng ibang pangalan. Pero hindi na sila nagtanong. I am just glad na hindi nila napansin na hindi na si Lexie ang kasama nila. Kunsabagay, hindi naman nila alam na may kakambal si Lexie. Kaya sino ang mag aakala na hindi na si Lexie ang kasama nila? 

I must be really out of my mind because I can’t seem to get her out of my mind. At first I thought it was just admiration. Admiration for her wittiness, for her sunny disposition, for her frankness and her innocence. She’s like a breath of fresh air. I can’t resist her no matter how hard I try. But I never knew that I’d fall so hard. So damn hard, that it scares me.

At alam kong nagsisinungaling ako sa kanya. That I ought to tell her the truth if I wanted her to be a part of my life.

But I cannot tell her. Not only because it would taint Lexie’s image and his grades. But more so, because aside from the househelps who have sworn their loyalty to us and a few very close relatives and our parents, no one else knew that the Archduchess Charlotte Helene of Austria had a twin before her marriage to the Archduke of Austria and was still known as Princess Charlotte Helene of Luxembourg.

And now I am reaping the fruits of that lie. Dahil habang nakaupo siya sa passenger seat ng kotse ni hindi niya makuhang tumingin sa akin. Nakatingin lang siya sa labas ng bintana, na para bang it would kill her if she even took a glance at me.

“Nagpapatawa ka ba? You’re demanding honesty from me? Are you serious?” She laughed bitterly when I asked her if indeed she’s pregnant. I am dying to know the truth from her. Pero tama din siya. Sino ba ako para magdemand ng katotohanan sa kanya kung ako ang unang nagsinungaling. Ako ang unang nangloko.

“Mandy…”

“Ayoko nang marinig pa ang boses mo. It’s either you’ll stop talking or I’ll jump off this car. You choose. Coz seriously, at this very moment, I would be very thankful if my life will end. I just don’t have the guts to end it myself. But if provoked, I might as well do it.” I flinched at her words and it’s as if I’ve been speared directly to my heart multiple times.

I clenched my hand on the streering wheel. Sino ang matutuwa sa kaalamang mas gugustuhin pa ng babaeng mahal mo na mamatay kesa sa makasama ka? It really feels like I’ve been kick in the gut and I can’t do anything about it.

I clenched my jaw and swallowed the lump in my throat. But it was not enough to stop the surge of my emotions.

And for the first time in my adult life, I,  Alexis Willem d’Aviano Mondragon shed a tear.