CHAPTER THIRTY SIX.

━━ Third Person,
June Twentieth. ━━

"Fuck," dawn swore to herself as she stumbled upon her house, even more late than she was before. "Fuck, fuck."

She stumbled up to the front door, and twisted the knob— swinging open the front door and seeing a tall man come in view.

"Dad—" Dawn breathed out.

"Where the hell were you?" Calum, an angry dad at the moment, crossed his arms over his chest. "You weren't answering your phone, you aren't home on time, and I don't even see your location on life 360."

"I am so sorry," She apologized. She truly did feel bad she was late, but she wasn't angry that she did. She enjoyed time with Harvey.

"Are you?" Calum raised his eyebrow, "Because if you were sorry, you would've been here at five."

"I know, and I am so sorry dad." Dawn frowned, standing up straight and finally closing the front door that was letting in evening, cold air. "I promised you— I know— I'm so sorry."

"Yeah, you will be sorry because you're grounded." Calum extended his hand, "Phone."

"What?" Dawn said surprised, "But that's so unfair! I just lost track of time; I didn't mean to! I won't be late next time, I promise. Please."

"You promised time and time again, Dawn, I'm sick of you being late. No arguments. I mean it." Calum said. "This is not the first time this has happened.

"It's not my fault!" Dawn protested, digging for her phone in her bag. "But fine, have it your way."

Dawn slapped her phone in Calum's hand, her eyes becoming teary eyed— but before Calum could try and reason with her, she pushed past him and ran up to her bedroom.

Calum groaned, running his hands through his hair and set down her phone on the counter. He felt bad, and felt like a dad, but this was a good lesson for her— and he knew that.

"Hey," Ashton greeted the distressed Calum, "You okay? I heard arguing."

"Dawn is just— being stubborn." He mumbled, grabbing a champagne glass and a bottle of champagne, pouring a half cup. "Remember how I said she would be here for dinner? like she promised? for the fifth time?"

Ashton nodded, putting his elbows on the counter and his chin rested in his hand.

"She was late. no warning, not answering any texts, and came home an hour and a half late. I was worried and upset. So, I grounded her." He explained, moving his hands as he spoke. "Was that wrong? Did I do it wrong?"

"Honestly? No." Ashton admitted, "You're a Dad— no scratch that, you're a Parent. You're allowed to be worried and punish her, even if she dislikes you for doing it. She was out late with no warning. You're allowed to be worried and teach her a lesson."

"So you don't think I'm an asshole?" Calum raises his eyebrow.

"You're always an asshole," Ashton laughs softly, causing Calum to roll his eyes playfully. "But no, I don't think you're an asshole."

"Thank you." Calum exhales. "I guess I should go speak to her, right?"

"Yeah." Ashton nods, "Go speak to dawn. I'll be here, waiting to hear about it."" He smiles, taking a sip of his water.

Calum pats Ashton's shoulder as he walks by him, jogging up the staircase and toward the door that entered Dawn's room.

He knocked hesitantly, hearing a faint 'Come in'. He slowly appeared in her room, not looking at her immediately.

"Hey." He greeted Dawn.

She sat on her bed, her legs in a cross position with a book sat in front of her. She looked up past the hair that fell in front of her tear stained face.

"Hey." She brought her lips into a fine line, putting the bookmark in the book and closing it. "What's up?"

"I'm sorry for how I handled that back there." Calum mumbled, sitting on her bed edge. "But Peanut, I cannot have you being late all of the time and not answering my texts, okay? I get worried. It needs to be improved, my love."

Dawn closed her eyes and nodded. "I know, and I'm sorry. Truly."

"What's the point in having a phone if you're not going to contact me?" Calum frowned at his daughter, moving hair out of her face. "I'm worried about you twenty-four seven."

"I know." Dawn said, a little firmer now. "I know." she repeated in a softer voice, "I know it's unsafe and I know I was wrong, and I'm sorry."

"I know, I believe you." Calum crosses his arms, "But it's not enough for me to believe it forever. You've been super late home for a while, and I've been tolerating it, but now this is where I draw the line."

Calum had never really given Dawn a firm talk, or disciplined her like this. This felt weird for the both of them, and Dawn knew she deserved this— but it was weird.

"I know dad." Dawn sat up straight. "I promise you I'll start being home at time."

"I'm giving you one more chance," he took her phone out of his pocket and set it down in front of her. "If you're home late one more time like that, and not answering your phone, I will be taking extreme measures."

Dawn sighed, and nodded. "I understand."

He brought Dawn into a tight hug, and hummed softly as he rocked her back and forth. "Now, Peanut, tell me why you were crying."

Dawn pulled away from Calum's hug, and wiped her tears. "My old guardian," She began, "Used to get really mad at me if I did things like that, and would sometimes hit me. I know you would never do that, but I'm still very nervous about that. I'm sorry."

Calum's expression was shocking. "Oh my love, I would never ever do that. You know that. You mean the world to me, and I'm here for you always. I'm just worried and I care about you so, so much. I love you, Dawn."