Chapter 23- Revelation of the truth

A/N: Please read the Author's Note in the end even if you don't usually do, it's extremely important.

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•

Day 13 

Days until the Olympics are over : 4 days

*Jacqueline's POV*

1:00 pm

"I need to speak with you." I announced sternly at the blond boy who was chatting with a tiny brunette.

Max arched his eyebrows in surprise but excused himself and followed me slowly to the apartment Anna and I shared.

"So... What is it?" he inquired as soon as he sat down on my bed. I sighed sitting right across from him on Anna's bed and pondered how to break to him the news.

'Hey Bro... Sorry, my best friend isn't interested in you anymore?' or maybe something like 'Anna broke her promise. Sucks to be you Max'

"What is it?" Max inquired looking annoyed. He didn't want anyone to interrupt him while he was talking to a girl. Especially a hot one. He crossed his legs and stared at me expectantly.

I gulped nervously and fiddled with my thumbs. There was no point in delaying it any longer. Max was already going to rip my head off.

Why did I volunteer to do this?

"Nice game by the way." I started the conversation smoothly referring to this morning's game. He nodded happily.

"Made it to the finals! Congratulations to you too. Didn't know you had it in you." he teased me and I stuck my tongue out at him.

"If it weren't for Anna we would be gone." I added after him before a long silence filled the room.

"Where is she by the way?" Max inquired hesitantly and I saw a hint of worry in his eyes. This was going to be harder than I thought.

"Erm... She went out to get something to eat" I replied vaguely and he nodded in understanding.

Soon, another silence filled the room increasing my anxiety and worry. I have never suffered from lack of words. Max must have noticed it too. We were exchanging worried looks. He wanted to say something important but he knew I wanted to do the same as well. He was evaluating the situation trying to guess who would speak first.

"Is this about a  guy?"

That caught me off guard and I met his green orbs and I wish I didn't. His eyes reflected so much sorrow and agony and his smile faded away turning into a little frown, his eyes have lost their spark and he looked miserable.

"Yes."

"Oh..."

"Max, I-"

"It's okay. She has already chosen." he replied sternly making me jump in fear. I have never seen Max this angry before. He seemed hurt and wretched just how Anna had told me he would be. I began regretting doing this. I didn't want to hurt my brother even if it were for my friend.

He stood up quickly and made his way to the door. Before heading out he turned to me but this time his face was impassive.

"Just tell her one thing..." he began and I nodded urging him to go on.

"Tell her not to have made promises she couldn't keep."

******

*Anna's POV*

3:00 pm

"Would that be it?" I asked the ginger woman who was sitting right in front of me.

Her lips curved in a tight smile as she nodded. She closed the file in front of her and stood up ushering me out.