Chapter 39

Adalyn

"I have a surprise for you." I murmured reaching up and gently caressing his face.

His blue eyes studied mine as his lips curled up slightly.

"Yeah and what would it be?" He asked, swiping his tongue over his bottom lip.

"Well then it wouldn't be much of a surprise, come on." I giggled, standing up and throwing on my dress before I looked back at him.

I walked forward and reached down, buttoning up his pants before zipping them. He chuckled and threw on his shirt, his muscles gently contracting under his warm, tan skin.

"Come here baby." He murmured as I turned around allowing his fingers to dance along the skin of my back before he gripped the small zipper and pulled it up, sealing me in my dress.

I reached out and grabbed his hand, his large one engulfing mine as I tugged on him and brought him out of our room. I pulled him downstairs and my mother and Maddox sat there, talking back and forth with one another.

"What's the sur-" Roman said but stopped midway through when we made it to the bottom of the stairs, looking straight ahead and seeing his brother.

"Maddox?" He mumbled, his eyes widening as he took hesitant steps towards his brother.

My mother and Maddox paused their conversation as my mom walked over to me, standing by my side and reaching down, grabbing onto my hand. I gently squeezed her hand as I gave her a soft smile, watching the scene play out in front of me.

"Brother." Maddox murmured, taking slow steps towards Roman.

When they got close enough Roman pulled on Maddox, bringing him in for a tight hug as the muscles in his back tensed.

"I swear you should be dead right now." Roman said pulling back. Maddox chuckled and nodded his head looking at his brother.

"I thought I would be too. If it wasn't for Adalyn's family, I wouldn't be alive." He said turning to look at my mom and I.

We gently smiled at him as he turned back to face Roman who looked over at me, his eyes connecting with my own.

He gave me a soft smile and walked over to me, pulling me towards him as I dropped my mothers hand, embracing him in my arms. His arms wrapped around my body and pulled me close to his chest, leaning down and gently inhaling my scent.

He pulled back and looked at my mother, walking over to her and pulling her into a hug which she graciously returned.

"Look who came out of hibernation!" Rene smugly said as he stood in the doorway of the kitchen, a wide smirk on his face as his arms were crossed in front of his chest, a small white towel thrown over his broad shoulder.

Roman shot him daggers with his feral eyes as I reached forward and grabbed his hand, his body relaxing immediately upon my touch.

"Well come on love birds dinners ready." Berlin smiled, peaking her head out and around Rene's body to look at us.

"Wait!" I mumbled turning towards Maddox.

He nodded his head and reached towards the small table near the door, grabbing the stacks of papers and journals. I walked over to him and grabbed the pile as Roman gave me a questioning glance.

"Before I left, I ransacked Monara's office. I grabbed everything I could, hoping it could help in some way." I said shrugging my shoulders as I looked down at the paperwork.

"Here, I'll put it upstairs and we can go through it after dinner." Roman said taking the stack of things from my hands and leaning down, placing a soft kiss on my forehead as he made his way upstairs.