Chapter 3

Adalyn

I continued to tap my pen against my paper as I stared at our kitchen wall that was painted a soft yellow. The same color I begged my mom to paint it 11 years ago.

"Adalyn are you alright?" My mom asked walking into the kitchen.

"What? Yeah." I sighed sitting up and rubbing my face in the palm of my hand. I couldn't stop spacing out and thinking about Roman. His muscles, his face, his hands, everything was imprinted into my mind and it wouldn't leave me alone no matter how hard I tried to distract myself.

I played music, I took a shower, I even started my homework, yet nothing was pulling my mind from the god of a man.

When I got home I couldn't focus on anything anyone said. My vision was haunted with images of him. I felt hollow and alone, I couldn't explain the feeling but it was as if I was simply a vessel. It was like I wanted him, like I needed him.

"How's your essay coming along?" She hummed pouring herself a glass of tea.

"It's good, I'm almost done." I said sighing while leaning my head on my arm.

"Your father and I found a dress for you today. We went out while you spent time outside." She smiled turning towards me, taking a sip from the mug she was nursing.

Oh my god.

I forgot about the bonding ceremony. It seemed to have completely escaped my mind. The idea of marrying Travis suddenly revolted me, my skin crawling with the thought.

"You should go take a shower darling, get ready for bed." She smiled softly, her identical green eyes creasing at the side as she came over and gently kissed my head.

"Okay momma." I said standing up and stretching my stiff limbs. I felt a soft pop in my shoulder as I rotated my arm around.

I took the short flight of stairs up to my room and I closed my door behind me, beginning to strip out of my clothes. I sighed and took off my underwear and bra and made my way to my bathroom where I turned on the warm water.

I stepped in and quickly bathed myself, allowing all my stress to melt away with the hot water. It was my second shower in the span of a few hours but I would take any excuse to try to replicate the warmth of his flesh on mine.

I finished and stepped out, wrapping myself in a warm towel. I entered back into my room and stopped dead in my tracks as I noticed my window was wide open. I scrunched my eyebrows and closed it, looking around my room for any sign of disturbance.

My heart sped up as they landed on a note placed neatly in the middle of my bed. I picked it up and unfolded it, reading the neatly scribbled note.

'Baby girl, make sure you close your curtains unless you want wandering eyes all over that pretty body of yours.'

My eyes widened and I immediately walked over to my window scanning the dense forest and there in the front behind a tree, my eyes made contact with those same deep blue ones. I scoffed with a smile, jokingly glaring at him as I closed my dark curtains. My cheeks were bright red and I could feel my skin heating up.

I felt some sort of ease knowing he was just outside. I sighed and got dressed putting on a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt.

I bit my lip contemplating going outside. I wanted to see him but I know that curfew was in a few minutes and if I was seen out I would get in so much trouble.

Screw curfew

I smiled and grabbed my shoes, putting them on and lacing them before tiptoeing down the stairs and out the back door.

As soon as I took a step out I could see his bright eyes through the trees causing butterflies to form in my stomach.

The closer I got to him the harder my heart would beat.

I finally got in talking distance to him as I looked up at his face.

"Hi baby girl." He smiled.

"Hi." I whispered.

He reached forward and grabbed my hips pulling me forward until we were hidden in the trees. He pulled me close to him and sighed as he placed his forehead against mine gently inhaling.

"It's killing me not being near you all the time." He sighed.

"I know. I feel the same way and I don't know why, I barely know you." I said wrapping my arms around his torso.

"It's the mate bond." He said looking down at me. The moon shinned through the trees casting a heavenly glow around him.

"What's that?" I asked. He separated from me and grabbed on to my hand guiding me deeper into the forest.

"Well every wolf has a mate that they are destined to, like their soulmate. The mate bond is when you meet your mate. All the goosebumps, tingles and butterflies, that's from the bond. It causes you all the desires you feel and to love your mate unconditionally." He told me as my cheeks blushed red. I looked up and realized he was looking down at me.

"Addy, you are my mate. And I know it's hard for you to understand but I can't stand being away from you. It drives my wolf crazy." He sighed stopping and turning towards me.

I followed his lead and turned to face him.

"Your wolf?" My voice was soft as I was uncertain what he would say or do after that.

"Yes. I have a wolf that I share this body with, he's apart of who I am. He's the one who first realized you were our mate. We balance each other."

"Does he like me?" I asked tilting my head. Roman chuckled and gently placed his hands on my hips.

"Yes, very much." One of his hands moved up to cup my cheek as he gently angled my face towards him. He looked down at my lips and back to my eyes before he gently leaned down and pressed his plump lips against mine.

I lost all sense of control as tingles flowed throughout my whole body. I felt like I was in heaven  while his soft lips moved against mine.

I sighed against his lips and melted into his touch, leaning my body against his.

He broke our kiss and looked down at me with a smirk on his lips.

"Are you beginning to trust me yet?" He chuckled.

I rolled my eyes with a smile grabbed on to his hand leading him deeper into the forest until I got to my favorite tree. It was a thick tree with thick roots that was perfect for sitting on. I sat down and tugged on his hand, encouraging him to do the same. He smiled and sat down next to me. I began giggling as he grabbed on to my hips, pulling me to sit in his lap. I leaned back and allowed my body to relax against his.

I could feel the rhythm of his breathing as I gently moved up and down against his chest. I reached down and grabbed onto his hand bringing it into my lap. I traced along his fingers, enjoying the small sparks of joy that would dance along my skin.

"Why do they lie?" I whispered.

"Who baby?" He murmured against my ear sending goosebumps along my skin.

"Everyone, they lie about you. They say you're evil, but I don't know if I believe that anymore." I murmured bringing his hand up to my lips and gently kissing the skin.

"And why's that?" He asked wrapping his other arm around my waist.

"I don't feel scared around you. You've never once hurt me, yet. And you didn't steal me." I shrugged my shoulders.

His grip tightened on me as his lips skimmed my ear.

"I will never hurt you, ever."