Chapter 14

Adalyn

I woke up dead in the middle of the night as fear coursed through my body. I don't know why I was so scared but I turned toward Elijah's side of the bed and peered over the pillow wall to see him still sleeping like a baby.

I sighed and laid back down willing myself to close my eyes. I heard shuffling in the room and my body turned ice cold.

Roman.

No response. I know he's sleeping but I was so scared that I felt like I might pee myself, I needed his reassurance.

I told myself I was just going crazy and I rolled over, scooting away from the edge of the bed and towards the pillow wall.

I didn't dare move after that as I listened closely to the room. I began shaking in my spot on the bed as I began to hear heavy breathing from the corner of the room.

Roman, please wake up.

Still nothing.

I barely opened one of my eyes as I glanced towards the corner of the room and I had to cover my mouth to stop myself from screaming. Standing in the corner of the room was a dark figure. I couldn't make out any of their features but they were definitely there.

Mia. There is someone in the room.

Don't worry I'm coming. Don't move.

I felt so much relief when her voice filled my head. I gently heard the sliding of the backdoor and it wasn't too much later that I saw her dark figure creeping down the hallway towards the room. I looked to the corner and the figure was still there. I shut my eyes tightly and in less than twenty seconds the lights to the room were turned on as Mia jumped in the room ready to fight whoever was in the corner.

I waited for a sound or something but nothing happened. I slowly opened my eyes but I was quickly confused as I looked in the corner and no one was there.

"I-I-I swear someone was there. I could hear them breathing." I said trying to catch my breath. Mia looked all around the room and took a minute to sniff the room.

"I believe you, I can smell that someone was in here but I can't pinpoint the scent." She said.

I got out of the bed and went to the corner of the room and looked around. My hands began to shake again as I bent down and picked up a black button.

"Someone was here Mia." I whispered.

She quickly came over and hugged me as she noticed the tears that were welling in my eyes. I sobbed out against her, burying my head in her chest.

"It's okay Adalyn, you're safe I promise."

"Will you please stay in here?" I cried.

"Yes, it's okay I'm right here." She whispered.

She brought me back over to the bed and helped me lay back down. I scooted over so there was enough room for her to sit on the edge of the bed. She turned off the light and sat down, gently stroking my hair.

I let out a small hiccup as my crying had finally come to a stop. I willed myself to close my eyes and calm down. I took another deep breath and relaxed, slowly falling asleep.

-

I woke up a few hours later, the sun shining through the window. I grunted and rubbed my eyes before opening them fully.

I looked up and Mia was still where she was a few hours ago. She gently smiled at me before she stood up and yawned.

"Have you been there the whole time?" I asked sitting up with a groan.