Chapter 56

Adalyn

Of course in the end I made it to Romans office in a pair of leggings and an oversized sweater that fit over my enormous belly. Roman had picked me up in his strong arms and carried me the whole way even after I fussed to him that I was too heavy, which he promptly ignored and instead pulled me closer to his chest protectively.

When we made it to the hallway where his office was located, I could make out the form of a man standing outside of Roman's office door, Berlin standing next to the man. I could only assume that was Chris. He had strikingly blonde hair and hazel eyes that held a dark brown in the center but faded out to a forest green. He was a little shorter than Roman but taller than Berlin as she gently leaned against him, her wolf probably in joy that she was with her mate.

Chris immediately straightened at seeing Roman walking towards them, along with me in his arms, "Alpha." He greeted.

Roman nodded his head at him before reaching towards his office door and opening it, the light from the window on the opposite wall adding natural light to the room. He walked around his desk and took a seat in the large chair as I settled on his lap, moving myself on his thighs as I gently snickered at his hard on that was still tucked away in his pants gently pushing against my butt.

Roman cleared his throat, motioning to the seats in front of his desk as Berlin and Chris took a seat, "What was so urgent?" Roman asked, cutting straight to the chase as Chris anxiously looked at both of us.

Berlin reached over and gently grabbed his hand in hers, giving it a squeeze before nodding her head at him, urging him to continue.

"During my studies within the city walls I had learned news from an old comrade of mine, he said that Monara and Evelyn were expecting a child." He gulped gaging our reaction as my eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"What?" I blurted out in shock, my mouth gaping open.

Chris eagerly nodded his head before he continued, "Apparently Evelyn and Monara had learned of your pregnancy and had wished to conceive a child of their own so that they could hex you and steal the power and energy from your pups and transfer it to their own child."

I took a deep breath, my hand immediately finding my tummy but Roman beat me to it as his hand pressed against my flesh in a protective way, his grip on me tightening.

"So, it was them behind the hex on my mate and pups?" He lowly growled out, his muscles tense behind my back as I looked up at his face. His eyes were beginning to swirl with darkness as he took deep jagged breaths.

I placed my hand over his large one and gently calmed him with my thumb as I ran soothing circles on his skin.

"That's not all." Chris murmured, pausing, "there's rumors around the whole city that Monara plans on attacking soon and he was able to play it off as some big crusade to wipe the earth of wolves. For god's sake there are parades in the streets." He growled, his fist clamping shut tightly as Berlin attempted to soothe him.

I was able to see how much he cared for her and werewolves. He was willing to sacrifice everything he's ever known to protect the one he loves. It was so clearly evident in the way he reacted.

Chris momentarily paused, looking down at the edge of Roman's desk before turning and looking up at me, "While I was there one of my informants notified me that Mia has committed a blood bond with Monara." He carefully spoke gaging my reactions as my eyebrows furrowed down.

I turned to look at Roman, noticing how his soft eyes were already on me, "it means that she has willingly vowed her life and safety to him. She will do anything they say." Roman softly spoke, his other hand coming and taking ahold of mine.

"Why would she-" I paused, my mind beginning to replay every moment I had with her.

She protected me when I needed someone the most and I couldn't wrap my brain around why she would ever pledge her undying loyalty to them. I gently gulped, feeling as though my throat was being constricted. All this stress felt as if it was tightening around my chest and taking a hold of my lungs as to prevent any air from entering or leaving.

I felt Roman's soft lips press against my ear as his soothing voice whispered out, "Breathe baby, it's okay."

I shut my eyes and followed his command as I took a small breath in and out, trying to relax. I turned to look up at him as his eyes held all the reassurance that I needed. There was a heavy silence that clung in the air, feeling as if it was suffocating us all. The only thing strong enough to break it was Roman's rough voice as he cleared his throat before glancing at Chris and Berlin.

"Thank you for informing me. We are grateful for you, and your work never goes unnoticed."

Chris nodded his head solemnly and looked at Berlin with soft eyes before they both stood up and gently bowed towards us as a sign of submission.

"I'll see you later Addy" Berlin gently smiled, her eyes dull compared to her usually bright color.

I pursed my lips gently and nodded as I watched them retreat out of Roman's office door, Chris grabbing onto her hand.

Once the door closed fully with a soft thud, I turned to look at Roman, watching as his eyes found mine instantly. The light from the windows gently reflected off the bright blue storm that was currently storming within his irises. His hand came up and gently cupped my cheek as he brought his face close to mine, so close that I could feel the breath from his lips skim across my skin.

I looked up into his eyes, noticing the sense of vulnerability within them.

"I will never let anything happen to you or my children. Ever." He breathed out, his lips gently brushing against mine with every word uttered.

Nothing else needed to be said between us as I pushed forward and connected my lips with his in a soft but tender kiss. The truth in his words was made apparent as his lips hungrily moved against mine in a protective but dominant manner.

My skin was burning and the only thing that could stop it was him. I tried to push myself as close as I could to him but the giant amount of flesh spanning across my abdomen prevented me. I pulled apart from Roman's lips, placing my hand on his chest as a way to steady myself as my skin roared with warmth.

Roman's eyes furrowed in panic when he noticed how warm I was, his large hand coming up to press against my forehead.

"Adalyn, you're burning up!" He frowned as I looked up at him with a pout feeling myself become lightheaded.

His hands immediately groped the flesh along my hips as he quickly picked me up in his strong arms, his legs hastily carrying us out of his office and down the hallway towards our room.

He kicked the door open and even in my feverish state I scowled at him causing him to subtly roll his eyes before he gently placed me at the end of our bed. His hands made quick work and tugged off the warm sweater that was beginning to stick to my skin due to all the sweat that was beginning to form.

"Roman." I mumbled, the air cold on my skin as I attempted to reach for him, my hands extending towards his strong built chest.

"Shh, I'm right here my love." He cooed, moving between my legs so his chest was touching mine. His long fingers reached up and gently pushed my hair out of my face and behind my ear as his other hand wrapped around my body, pulling me closer to him.

I rested my head against his chest, feeling the soft beat of his heart as I closed my eyes.