*16*

*** 3 days later ***

"Can we expect him to come home atleast today?" Haseena asked Vikram on the call.

"Not really Haseena ji," answered Vikram, "Salaar is taking Raj's case very seriously. Any updates from your men?"

"No," said Haseena, "Rashid bhai is looking too. Can you convince Salaar to come home?"

"I wouldn't dare," said Vikram, "He isn't his calm self anymore."

"Fine, I am coming to your place," said Haseena and cut the call.

*** A few hours later ***

"What do you mean by you missed the staff room?" Salaar shouted frustrated, "I asked you to search everywhere and everywhere means everywhere!"

"Yes Salaar, got it," said Sandeep hesitantly, "I'll send our men again."

"Do it before the kid gets killed," Salaar said angrily and continued to roam around the room in frustration. Vikram was watching from one corner of the room. He wanted to console but didn't know how. Meanwhile Haseena came in. Vikram looked at her and signalled to show how frustrated Salaar was. 

Haseena patiently waited until Salaar noticed her. He paced back and forth for a while before his attention turned towards Haseena.

"What are you doing here? Go back," Salaar said the moment he noticed her.

"I want you to come home with me," said Haseena.

"I need to be here," said Salaar, "Things aren't going well."

"Yes, Vikram told me about Amira's friend," said Haseena, "but still....it's been three days since you've been home. You can continue to manage it from the palace."

"Haseena I am not a king to pass orders from the palace," said Salaar, "I am a soldier."

"But the precious treasure you are supossed to protect is in the palace," said Haseena and Salaar remained silent.

"Amira is now more open to you than she is to me," Haseena continued, "I don't even know about Raj and in Amira's eyes, I am her sensitive and innocent sister while you are her jijaaji who is capable of evil if necessary." "If she has any problem she will come to you and not me," Haseena added, "and if you continue to stay away from her, Rajkesh might actually use this opportunity to get closer to her and none of us would even know."

Salaar found that argument to be very convincing. Who is to say if this is a mere distraction? Who is to say that his men are loyal to him? Who is to say that Amira would be safe in the palace while her guardian is fighting outside? 

He immediately handed over the responsibilities to Vikram and headed home.

*** A few hours later ***

Salaar felt a strange vibe the moment he entered the palace. The way his men looked at him was a little off. Usually it's just fear but today it's something else. A little bit of disgust that despite their best efforts, couldn't be hidden, but why?

Even Haseena was confused by the sudden change. However all their questions were answered when she saw Amira...or were more questions raised.

Amira's eyes were red, swollen and filled with tears. That's not how she looked before Haseena left and it didn't look like anyone hurt her. 

Amira walked towards Salaar and asked one simple question. "Why?"

Salaar looked at Amira confused but the next thing they heard turned their world around.

A news announcement from the TV. 

'This murder has sent the state into a havoc. All these days Salaar was considered a powerful and evil force, but only to the mafia world, but have things started to change? Jhonny's murder raised the question and Raj Vedant's murder gave the answer. The question of why still remains unsolved.'