Complications~Grey's Anatomy

By wandamaxilover

Gisele Shepherd hadn't seen her big brother for a few years, so she decided it was time for a visit. During t... More

IMPORTANT
Prologue
Brand New Beginning
First Day
Bad Blood
The Face of Change
Hard Bargain
This Is Why We Fight
Transplant Wasteland
Idle Hands
She's Killing Me
Sleeping Monster
Do You Believe in Magic
Readiness Is All
Perfect Storm
Seal Our Fate
I Want You With Me
Puttin' on the Ritz
I Bet It Stung
Map of You
Somebody That I Used to Know
Get Up, Stand Up
Take It Back
Change of Heart
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
Fear (of the Unknown)
Puzzle With a Piece Missing
Got to Be Real
Bend and Break
Don't Let's Start
Could We Start Again, Please?
Risk
All I Could Do Was Cry
The Distance
When I Grow Up
How to Save a Life
She's Leaving Home: Part 1
She's Leaving Home: Part 2
You're My Home
Sledgehammer
Walking Tall
I Choose You
Old Time Rock and Roll
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
The Me Nobody Knows
Something Against You
A Good Friend of Mine
Home Sweet Home
The Sound of Silence: Part l
The Sound of Silence: Part II
The Sound of Silence: Part III
Swimming in Miami
Odd Man Out
I Am Not Waiting Anymore
When It Hurts So Bad
I Wear the Face
There's a Fine, Fine Line
It's Alright, Ma (I'm only bleeding)
It's Alright, Ma (I'm only bleeding) II
Trigger Happy
You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side
Show In a Mysterious Desert
Mama Tried
At Last
Family Affair
Family Affair II
Famiky Affair III
Babymoon
La Dolce Vita
Braxton Hicks
Stay With Me
She Can't Be Dead
Amelia's Arrival
Weed, Wine, and Sushi
Naming Advice
What Happened?
Chirurgia and Yacht Parties
Out of Hospital
Packing Up
Emergency Landing
New York, New York
Detour
Diagnosis
Back in Seattle
SOS
Undo
News

Keep Me In Your Heart

4K 103 39
By wandamaxilover

  GISELE WAITED IMPATIENTLY AT THE AIRPORT FOR HER COUSIN, eager to get to her grandmother.

After what seemed like an eternity, her cousin, Talia pulled up to her. Gisele walked to the passenger door, set her donut pillow on the seat and carefully sat down before slamming the door shut.

   "You're mad." She stated, starting to drive.

"Yeah, I'm mad. Why didn't anyone tell me about it sooner? I could've helped."

"It was already way advanced when she was diagnosed a little over six months ago," Talia said, "She's ready to go, has been since she found out."

Gisele rolled her eyes and leaned against the car window.

"What's with the pillow?"

Gisele looked down, remembering her pillow, "Oh, I broke my tailbone."

A beat of silence passed when Talia remembered Gisele hadn't put any bags in the car, "Where's your luggage?"

At the mention of bags, Gisele realized she hadn't packed or brought any bags with her. She'd been on autopilot since receiving the call about her grandmother that she'd forgotten to pack another bag or just take the one she'd packed for Miami.

   "I forgot."

   "How could you forget?" she asked, "You're staying here for at least two weeks not a few days."

   "I know, I just didn't think."

They soon arrived to her grandmother's house, feeling queasy due to the bumpiness of the roads but held it together wanting to see her grandma. She greeted her whole family as quickly as she could, wanting to get to her grandma.

Gisele went into her grandmother's room, sitting down right beside her, "Why didn't you tell me sooner? We need to get you to a hospital, get some scans. We could Hepatectomy, I don't think a liver transplant is the right choice, you'd need to get better—"

    "Gisele, I am ready. I do not need or want any medical treatment."

    "Why didn't you tell me?" Gisele asked, "I could've helped."

Fetu shook her head, "You were going through a hard time if I told you, you would not have gotten help," she grabbed hold of Gisele's hand, gently squeezing it, "Don't be sad, I have lived my life. Now you live yours and let people help, let yourself love and be loved. I am at peace, it is my time now and I want to spend my last days on earth with family, here in my home."

Gisele sniffled, attempting to hold back tears and failing miserably, "Okay... How are you feeling?"

Fetu reached up, wiping Gisele's tears away, "I am okay."

   "Are you in any pain?"

   "No, I am fine," she reassured her, "You say hi to everyone."

Gisele nodded, "Mhm, every single body."

Jackson had paged, called, and texted Gisele and had gotten zero response. He guessed she'd gone home since they had gotten back from Miami and working was the last thing she wanted to do when she was jet lagged.

He was about to go to her house to see her when he caught sight of Amelia at a nurses station, "Hey, have you seen Gigi?"

"Yeah, right before she left for Samoa." She said, directing most of her attention to the computer.

Jackson scrunched up his face in confusion, "Right... Um, I'm sorry," He has no clue where that was, having never heard of Samoa before, "Where?"

"Samoa." Amelia said one again, this time looking up at him and seeing the blank expression on his face. She sighed, "It's in the middle of New Zealand and Hawaii, in the Polynesian region of the Pacific Ocean."

"Okay, but why is she there?"

"She's visiting family," was all she said, not knowing if Gisele would want her telling people about her grandmother.

He nodded, understanding, "Wait, why do they live there?" He asked, Gisele never mentioned any of this.

Amelia rolled her eye, "Because she's half Samoan, her biological mother was too. She got the white from my uncle henceforth why we're related..." she paused, thinking he would've known all of this, "you really don't know any of this and she didn't tell you, you've been screwing each—"

Jackson cut her off, "Shh... just forget I asked," He said before walking away.

Seemingly out of nowhere, Bailey appeared in front of her, "Shepherd, what's this I hear about Gisele taking yet another vacation. I mean, she literally just got back from Miami and now she's on some remote tropical island—"

Amelia cut her off, "Can we go somewhere private?"

Bailey agreed and they went into an empty patient room.

   "I don't know if you met Fetu, her grandmother, when she came."

Bailey nodded, "I did, she seemed like a wonderful person. Why?"

   "She's dying, only has a couple days and Gisele needed to be there."

Bailey's face softened, feeling sorry for Gisele knowing she'd been through a lot in the past two years, "Oh, is she okay? Because she just got better."

Amelia shrugged, "She seems fine but I'm not completely sure."

   "Tell her to take all the time she needs."

Gisele had walked to the beach, seeing how it was only a ten minute walk, she needing time and space to herself. Having the need to get out of the house since it was so crowed, it seemed like the everyone from the island was there.

Her phone rang. Seeing it was her sister she immediately answered, "Hey Mae."

"How's it going?"

"I don't even know how to answer."

"I'm sorry, I wish I could help somehow... do you want me to fly there?"

"You don't have to, I'm okay." She reassured Amelia.

"Does mom know?"

Gisele sighed, "No, I forgot. I didn't think about anything but getting here, I even forgot to pack a bag."

"I know, you left your bag. You should've at least taken the one you took to Miami."

"All those clothes are dirty and not Samoa appropriate, plus I mostly packed bikinis." Gisele said.

"Right... do you want me to call mom and tell her?"

"Yes, please. But tell her she doesn't have to drop everything and come."

"I will..."

   "I have to go back, I'll call you when I can."

  "Oh, almost forgot. How does Jackson not know you're half Samoan and you didn't tell him you were leaving?"

  "It just hasn't come up and I didn't really have time to tell anyone anything besides you."

  "He seems worried, I told him you were visiting family. Didn't know if you wanted me to tell him or not."

   "You can tell him... I have to get back before my bitchy cousin starts bitching."

  "Okay, I love you so much."

  "I love you more."

She hung up and stayed a little longer, sitting there digging her toes into the sand, watching the waves crash onto the shore. Taking in the breathtakingly beautiful view she had missed. She kept meaning to visit more but with residency, the car accident, and her emotional issues she hadn't had a whole lot of time to visit.

Getting back to the house, she once again was sat next to her grandmother.

  "How are you?"

  "I'm okay, still in therapy."

Fetu smiled, "Good, good. And your married boyfriend?"

   "He's not married anymore. Finally got divorced."

   "Great, it is good you are happy, that you are feeling love."

   "I mean it's okay." Gisele said.

Gisele's phone began ringing, pulling it out of her pocket to see it was Emmy wanting to FaceTime, she was about to decline when Fetu stopped her.

   "Is that Emmy?"

   "Yeah, I'll just call her back later."

    "No... answer it."

Gisele answered. Emmy's face appeared on the screen a second later, "Hey."

She noticed how Emmy's hair hung off the couch, "What are you doing upside down?"

Emmy sighed, "I'm bored," she said, "What are you doing?"

"I'm in Samoa—"

Emmy gasped, "Really, why didn't you tell me? I would've gone with you."

"It was a last minute thing."

"Is Fetu there?"

"Yeah," Gisele looked over at her grandmother, "Emmy wants to talk to you."

Fetu took the phone, smiled remembering those times Emmy accompanied her grandmother they were always together, "Emmy!"

   "Talofa Fetu," Emmy said, "How are you?

  "I am doing okay, and you?"

  "Great. Just spending time with my grandma in Mexico."

   "That is good."

   "Speaking of Mexico, I'll be on the cover of Vogue but they'd like it more if you were in it with me."

Gisele looked over to Fetu, she knew she couldn't go especially not now, "I don't think it's the right time—"

Fetu cut her off, "No, you are doing it. I do not want my death to mean mourning and I do not want anyone to be sad for too long, so you are doing it," she looked back to the screen, "She is doing it."

Emmy talked to her grandmother for a few more minutes before Gisele excused herself and went out onto the porch.

   "What did she mean by death? She meant metaphorical death right?" Emmy asked, hopeful.

   "Nope, she is dying. Most likely in a few days. It's Angiosarcoma, liver cancer" Gisele said, "She keeps getting worse."

   "Gigi, I... If you need me there, I'll be there."

Gisele sighed, "No, I'll just see you in Mexico. I'm okay."

   "Alright, call me if you change your mind."

   "I will, love you."

   "Love you too."

Salamasina walked over to her, handing her a cup before sitting down next to her.

"What is it?" Gisele asked.

"Kava. Fetu said you needed some, I'm honestly surprised you haven't thrown up yet."

Gisele playfully shoved her, "Shut up."

"You okay?"

She shrugged, "Not really, you?"

"Nope."

The next day, Gisele was checking over Fetu.

She gently swatted her granddaughter away, "Okay... you and the girls should take a trip somewhere with Natia... after, learn to get along and be a family."

Gisele sat down next to her, "She called me halfbreed."

"Gisele." She deadpanned.

Gisele sighed, "Okay, we'll go to Fiji or something."

   "You have to make sure the hatchlings are born and protected." Fetu said, confusing Gisele.

Gisele furrowed her brows, "Hatchlings?"

   "Baby sea turtles."

   "What baby sea turtles?"

   "Yours."

She still had no clue what her grandmother meant, "I don't have baby sea turtles."

  "You will... soon."

  "What does that mean?" Gisele asked but received no answer seeing how Fetu had drifted off to sleep.

Gisele covered her with the thin blanket, kissing her forehead before going out to the garden where she spotted Talia sitting against a tree trunk. As she approached, she held out a mango to Gisele.

Taking it, she sat down next to her, "Mama just told me to protect my baby sea turtles, do you know what that means?"

Talia shook her head, "No. I wouldn't pay attention to what she says, half the things she says don't make sense."

   "Where would I even get baby sea turtles?"

  "Don't know, but a few days ago she told me to feed pineapple to the elephants."

"She said we should go on a bonding trip, just us girls, including Natia."

Talia made a face, "Why would she go? She's a bitch."

"I know but she's dying and wants us to get along."

Talia shook her head, "There's no getting along with her."

"We have to, it's her literal dying wish. We at least have to try." Gisele said.

"She's not gonna go," Talia said, "She won't go."

It was late at night when Gisele felt someone shaking her, she gently slapped at their hands.

   "What?" She groaned out, she had barley fallen asleep still not used to the time difference.

    "Wake up!" Sala whispered harshly.

   "Why?"

   "She passed."

Gisele shot up in her bed, her exhaustion immediately fading away, "She died," Sala nodded, "When?"

   "Only minutes ago, Auntie Sinu checked on her but she..." she trailed off, leaned down and hugged Gisele tightly.

Gisele hasn't moved an inch since Sala broke the news, she sat in bed in shock, staring into space. She knew her grandmother was going to die but she'd been hoping to spend at least another week with her.

She didn't hadn't notice when Talia came in not until she sat down next to her, "Everyone's gathered. We're waiting for you, they want you to lead the prayer."

It was a moment before Gisele spoke, "I can't."

   "What do you mean, you can't?"

She turned her and faced her cousin, "I just–I don't really believe anymore, I haven't in awhile. So how am I supposed to lead and my Samoan isn't as good anymore."

Tailia grabbed hold of Gisele's hands, "She'd want you to, you're her favorite."

   "Can't you do it?"

Tailia sighed, "Gisele—" before she could finish, Gisele ran out of the room, down the hall and into the restroom. Talia followed close behind and found her vomiting into the toilet bowel, "I'll just do it... You need anything?"

Gisele had managed to say 'no' before puking again.

Once she felt like she wouldn't throw up again, she joined everyone in Fetu's room, amazed at how many people were there.

Before she knew it, it was morning and no one had slept. After the funeral home came and took her, Gisele and a few of her cousins were outside in the garden.

   "She's not getting buried?" Natia asked.

Sala shook her head, "Nope, she wanted to get cremated and get scattered amongst the sea turtles."

   "What's with her and sea turtles?"

They all shrugged, "How long is that gonna take?" Talia asked.

   "She wanted it done as soon as possible." Sala said.

   "I paid the funeral people extra, plus a very nice tip, so instead of it being three to 15 business days it'll be like five hours." Gisele said.

Natia scoffed.

Gisele rolled her eyes, Natia always had something to say about her, "What?"

   "Here we go," Talia muttered, it was ridiculous how often Natia found the need to pick a fight with Gisele.

Gisele chose to let it go, "Mama wanted us to go on some bonding trip, I suggest we go to Fiji."

Natia scoffed again.

   "Okay, what is your problem?" Gisele asked, having had enough of her cousin's attitude.

  "My problem is you flaunting your money like it's nothing, some of us don't have an abundance of money to spend on some silly trip."

  "I never told you, you needed to spend any  money. I'll pay for it if you don't want to and it's not silly, Fetu wanted us to get along." Gisele explained.

  "Doesn't really matter what she wanted, she's dead."

Everything seemed to go quiet, even the chirping birds.

   "Don't you dare disrespect her." Sala said, threateningly.

  "I just don't want to spend time with an entitled, bratty model palagi." Natia said, looking directly at Gisele.

Gisele frowned, "How am I a palagi, when I know more of the Samoan culture, traditions and language than you, you once told me you wanted a normal 'Aussie life' whatever that means."

  "Only because Fetu loved you the most. Gisele could do no wrong, most beautiful model in the world."

  "This is why you hate me 'cause I was her favorite and because I'm a model," she couldn't help but laugh at her jealousy, "You do realize I was basically an orphan for a while when I was four right, that's why she looked after me so much. And green isn't your color, there's no need to be jealous of my beauty. You're beautiful too."

Natia glared at Gisele before getting up, "I'm not doing this." They watched as she marched into the house.

   "Told you there was no getting along with her." Talia said.

   "She's such a bitch." Gisele commented.

Five hours later, they received her remains. Went to the beach, it seemed like everyone from the island had gathered. Gisele watched in awe as some of her cousins performed Siva Tau, a traditional Samoan dance. She had always been captivated by it since she was little.

Awhile later, they they gathered at the beach And they do Samoan dances and singing and such they they have food

Once they came back from the beach, first thing Gisele did was head straight for the restroom. She'd been dry heaving, vomiting, and crying.

Her phone began ringing, reaching over to the counter she grabbed it, seeing it was Jackson, she leaned against the wall and answered.

   "Hey, how's it going with the family?"

    "Horrible." She felt tears forming, and kept blinking them back.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

She shook her head, "My grandma just died," she managed to choke out.

   "I'm so sorry, I wish I could do something... I could fly there."

   "No, no. I'm—" she set the phone down before rushing over to the toilet.

   "Still have jet lag?"

Gisele quickly wiped with some toilet paper, she sniffled, "Yup, it gets worse when I cross multiple time zones."

   "You sure you don't want me to fly down there?"

   "Honestly, I'm doing fine. I'll be back soon and it's a really expensive flight."

   "Okay, see you soon. I love you."

Gisele froze for a second, it felt too soon for 'I love you's', he just divorced April, "Same, I'll call you later," She blurted out Bernie he cold said anything and hung up. She quickly called her sister, "Jackson just told me he loved me."

"Really? What did you say?"

"Same."

"Same? That is all you said?"

"Yeah, I mean we've only officially been together for like a month and a half. I feel like it's way too soon."

"What about your thing? Do you count that?"

"No, not really 'cause he was married and I was being a mega bitch."

"Are you gonna talk to him about it?"

Gisele sighed, "I don't know... probably."

"How's Fetu?"

"She's with the turtles now."

"Am I supposed to know what that means?"

"That's what she kept saying "I'll be with the turtles after I pass" We cremated her and scattered her ashes in the ocean."

"I wish I was there, sounds like you need a hug."

Tears started rolling down her cheeks, "I do."

Amelia was silent for a moment, "I have to go it's 911."

"Go. I'll be fine, love you."

"Love you more."

She hung up, went into her contacts and clicked on one, it rang a few times before she picked up, "Hey mom."

    "Amelia Just told me. Do you need me to get there... because I will, just say the word." Carolyn said.

Gisele bursted out into tears, again. She wanted to say no because it was an extremity long flight from New York but she really wanted her mom there, "Yes lease. I really need you mommy."

   "I'll get on the first flight I can."

2 weeks later

Gisele and Carolyn were at the airport, standing in front of Carolyn's gate, they had spent the morning saying their fair wells to everyone.

"Are you sure you don't want to come back to New York with me? I don't know how I feel about you going back to modeling, I just don't like it, not after what happened last time."

"Mom, it's not like last time. I promise, I'm not trying to make it in modeling while simultaneously trying to graduate med school I'll be fine," she said, trying to reassure her mom, "besides Mama wanted me to do it and I already said yes so..."

Carolyn sighed, still not entirely convinced it was a good idea but she knew her daughter was stubborn, "Well, just call if you need anything."

"I will."

Gisele watched her board her flight, waving till she was out of sight before going over to her own gate. She hated the thought of enduring a ten hour flight with her broken tailbone but had no choice since she already agreed to the photoshoots.

Ten hours and a very sore tailbone later, she'd finally landed in Mexico City and the best part of having forgotten to pack any bags meant she didn't have to wait for her bag at baggage claim. Walking out of the airport, she immediately spotted Emmy standing by a taxi.

Next thing she knew she was engulfed into a tight hug, "I love you and I'm so sorry," she said, rubbing Gisele's back.

"Thanks."

They pulled away, Emmy reached into her back pocket pulling something out handing it to her, "Here's your barf bag," she managed to get a small smile from her, "I didn't know what you wanted to do, stay in or go out but before we do anything Abue wants to see you first."

"Okay, let's go."

They were walking back to the taxi when it dawned on Emmy that Gisele walked through the airport doors empty handed with the exception of a pillow, "Where's your bags? And why do you have a pillow?"

"Because when my cousin called me I just went to the airport and the pillow is for my broken ass."

"You broke your ass?" Gigi nodded, "I told you we should've gone to the hospital."

"There's nothing they can really do anyway."

"Wait, you were in Samoa for two weeks, what were you wearing for that whole time?"

"Mama told Natia to let me barrow some clothes—"

Emmy scoffed, she hadn't gotten along with her when she visited the island the last time she and Gigi went together, "She's a bitch."

"I know, she didn't want to so I borrowed some from Talia."

A couple minutes later, they arrived at Abue's house, walking in she was pulled into another tight hug, "I didn't know your grandma but she must have been a wonderful person based on how you turned out."

Gisele nodded, "She was."

She wrapped her arm around Gisele, leading her to the kitchen, "Ven, I made all your favorites, carne asada con arroz rojo, tamales y aguachile."

   "I helped but she wouldn't let me eat any of it." Emmy added.

   "This is not about you," Abue said, "Y todo es vegan, don't worry."

Gisele was surprised, she didn't know those very traditional dishes could be made vegan, "I didn't know that."

   "We replaced the shrimp with vegan oyster mushrooms, the meat with jackfruit, wasn't that hard." Emmy explained.

Early the next morning, the house was full of people helping both Gisele and Emilia get ready. Once they were ready, they all loaded up into a van and drove 40 minutes outside of Mexico City to the Pyramid of the Sun.

Gisele hopped out of the van once parked, regretting it when she felt a searing pain shoot to her tailbone.

One of the groundskeepers approached them, shook their hands and introduced himself, "Hello, I'm Matteo. Welcome to Pirámide del Sol, we have closed this pyramid off to the public and later, if you are up for it. You can climb up to the top." he said, "Has anyone been here before?"

Everyone raised their hands, Emmy and Gigi had came to the Teotihuacán archaeological site for a school trip when they lived in Mexico City.

They thanked him before going back into the van, where Gisele and Emilia climbed in and changed into their dresses. White for Emmy, and a deep forest green for Gigi. Once they were dressed, they got out and were both handed a pair of black gladiator sandals that went just above the ankle.

   "I almost picked out some heels that would've gone great with the dresses but settled for the sandals for safety reason." The stylist explained. Gisele and Emmy shared a worried glance, "Don't worry, everything is fine."

Once they got closer to the base of the pyramid, the photographer began taking pictures of the two without them knowing, intrigued how the two always seemed to holding hands, he found it interesting how naturally it happened. Their hands would brush up against each other and next thing they'd be hand in hand.

Emmy swung their hands back and forth, looking over at Gisele to see her not totally present in the moment.

    "You okay?" She said, getting the brunettes attention, "You don't have to do this, you can sit this out, it isn't the only shoot today," Emmy said, "We still have Marie Claire, then Cosmopolitan and Elle tomorrow."

Gisele shook her head, "No, it's okay," a wince cut her off and bent over a little.

They stopped walking, Emmy stood in front of her, "Que paso? What hurts?"

Gisele slowly stood up straight, "It's weird... I haven't had cramps in years."

   "I thought you didn't have periods."

   "I don't, haven't had one in like eight years," Gisele explained, "but I'm fine."

Reaching the base of the pyramid, they began the photo shoot, "Quiero que las dos se sienten en los escalones, inclinarse un poco  adelante." The photograph instructed.

Gisele begrudgingly went over and sat on the steps, laughing in pain and squeezing Emmy's hand.

    "Ow, you're hurting my hand," Gigi instantly loosened her grip, "Should you even be sitting down?"

   "Probably not." Gisele answered, "It hurts."

   "Gisele pon tu cabeza en el hombro de Emilia." He said.

Gisele laid her head on Emmy's shoulder like he said.

After a few shots and a couple different poses later, Gisele suddenly got the urge to cry and couldn't hold the tears back.

The whole crew froze, not knowing what had just happened that suddenly changed her mood.

    "Que pasa?" The photographer asked, concerned.

    "Nada, esta bien," Emmy turned to Gigi, "Hey, do you need a break?"

Gisele shook her head, "No," she sniffled, "let's keep going," one of the makeup artists approached her with a tissue, dabbing the tears away.

She smiled at them, "Gracias."

The photographer explained how he wanted to take a couple more photos except this time hiking up the pyramid while holding hands.

Looking down at her dress, Gisele found the length of them extremely concerning, "We're gonna die."

   "No we're not."

Gisele gave her an unimpressed look, "I love you and you have an amazing walk but when you're not on the runway you're extremely clumsy, and you trip a lot."

   "No I don't."

   "We went to get raspados yesterday and you tripped over your feet on the way home then made us go back for another one."

    "Whatever." Emmy muttered.

About halfway up, Gisele felt the urge to vomit but resisted, feeling like it would bring her bad luck if she threw up on an ancient pyramid.

   "I need to stop for a sec," she sat down not caring anymore about dirtying the dress. It was hot, she was nauseous, and she desperately wanted water, "Trajaron agua?"

Someone handed her a water bottle, she drank most of it which helped settle the nausea. Once Gisele felt better, they began climbing again.

When they reached the top, Gisele felt like she was on top of the world, everything seemed so small. She was so busy admiring the view that she startled when Emmy wiped away her tears, she hadn't noticed she was crying again.

Emmy wrapped her arms around her best friend.

"Mama died." She choked out.

Emmy rubbed Gisele's back, "I know, I know and I'm so sorry," she said, "I miss her too."

It was later in the afternoon, Gisele had already talked with her mom and barley finished with Addison when her sister wanted to FaceTime.

"Happy Turkey Day."

Amelia was thankful that her sister sounded so happy, "Thanks. How are you doing? Is Emmy taking care of you?" Emmy was sitting right next to Gisele and had heard.

"Of course she is," Emmy said loudly as she took the phone from Gisele, "Who do you think I am?"

"Well you better, now give my sister the phone back." Amelia said.

Emmy handed the phone back.

"Who are you talking to?" Gisele heard Bailey's voice.

"Gisele." Her sister answered.

Next thing she knew it was Bailey's face on her screen instead of her sister's, "Gisele, how are you doing?"

"I'm still emotionally stable if that's what you mean."

Bailey frowned, "You know what I mean, take as long as you need."

"Thanks." Gisele said.

She watched Bailey hand the phone back, "How was the—"

Her sister didn't get to finish due to Jo taking the phone, "Hey, how are you? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I just–I didn't really tell anyone besides Mae."

"Wait. How do you know?" Amelia asked.

"I was on the peds floor and some teenager was watching some gossip news show, they said your grandma died and they reached out to your representatives but got no answer."

Gisele furrowed her brows in confusion and looked over at Emmy, "Do I even have a representative?"

She shrugged, "No, I don't think so... actually we haven't had one in years."

"Who are you guys talking to?" Gisele heard Jackson say.

"Gigi."

Jackson took the phone from Jo, "How's it going? Are you—"

"Doing just fine." Gisele cut him off.

"You sure? When are you coming back? Soon?"

"I'm sure, and in two weeks... maybe." Gisele said.

"Okay—"

"Give me my phone," Amelia said taking her phone back, "I'm speaking with my sister."

The photographer had called them back.

"I have to go. Love you all."

Emmy and Gigi were at some club, Gisele needed to go to the restroom, having the urge to throw up again, most likely from a mixture of the alcohol she'd been drinking along with the jet lag.

After she cleaned herself up, Emmy set up her phone so it was propped up against the mirror and was recording them. They danced against each other.

She posted the video to her Instagram story as they exited the restroom and headed back to their table. Suddenly her old friend, Nicholas came up to them.

"My condolences."

Gisele forced a smile, "Thanks."

Next thing she knew, everyone was doing  body shots.

Jackson sat next to Amelia at the table in the attendings lounge, his frowned deepened with each story he saw.

   "Her grandmother just died and she's taking time off to grieve but it doesn't look like grieving."

Amelia looked up from her magazine, "What are you talking about, her grandmother did die. She is grieving."

"Doesn't look like it when she's at some club in Mexico, grinding on some girl."

"What?"

He handed her the phone, she watched her sister dancing with Emmy.

"Okay you can't judge Gigi on how she grieves the loss of her grandma, especially since the woman was basically her second mom," Amelia said, annoyed with his jealousy and criticism, "Knowing Fetu, she probably told Gisele to live her life and not miss out on experiencing things just because she died. Also that's not some girl, that's Emmy and I wouldn't let Gisele hear you talk like that about her best friend."

He stayed silent, and saw she updated again, this time he saw Gisele doing a body shot on Emmy, he showed Amelia again.

"Why would she do that while we're together in a relationship, a strictly monogamous relationship."

Amelia rolled her eyes, "Jackson calm down, Gigi likes to let lose," she said, "her grandmother just died, like I said she's letting lose. She's not going over the edge this time, Emmy's there in Mexico with her. And everything is better when she's with Emmy... unless she's off the wagon, then we're all screwed."

Jackson sighed, seeing another update he clicked on it, Gisele bent down over some guy and took a shot glass off his body with her mouth.

   "Who is that?"

He shoved the phone in her face, "He looks familiar." Amelia said.

  "What do you mean?"

   "I think he's an old boyfriend."

    "What?"

    "Not 100 percent sure, though."

Gisele decided to take advantage of the sun and chose to go to the beach, she and Emmy were lounging on some beach chairs on the sand.

Her phone began ringing, seeing it was Meredith wanting to FaceTime caused her to scoff. Gisele wouldn't exactly say she couldn't stand her sister-in-law anymore but she wouldn't day it was water under the bridge, there was still a big part of her that hated Meredith.

   "Why is she FaceTiming me?"

Emmy leaned over to see who it was, "Gross, just hang up... we still hate her right?"

Gisele sighed, "Yes... no... maybe. Kinda," she answered anyways and Zola's face appeared, "Hey Zo, what's up?"

    "When are you coming home?"

    "Soon."

   "I want you to do my hair. Mommy doesn't know how to do the mohawk."

Gisele smiled, "I'm almost done with my trip. I'll be there soon."

They spoke for a few minutes before ending the call.

   "I forgot to ask you," Emmy started, "Did you end up sexing it up with pretty boy?"

"Yeah, a lot like a lot, a lot."

Emmy wiggled her eyebrows, "How was it?"

"It was okay—"

"Just okay? You waited what, more than six weeks to have sex and it was okay," Emmy exaggerated, "Dump his ass."

"You didn't let me finish, it was okay but the more we did it the better it got, so it's amazing now."

"You used condoms, right?" Emmy asked.

"Yeah but I'm on the shot—"

"Still?"

Gisele nodded, "It helps with the anemia."

"So if you're on the shot, why use condoms?"

"Because I had an appointment for another shot when I got back to Seattle."

"Did you use the condom..."

   "On the cork board, Yeah."

Emmy abruptly sat up, "You're kidding, please tell me you're kidding."

   "No, why?"

Before Emmy could respond Nicolas, their long time friend approached them with two cup holders.

   "¿Qué tal Chicas?" Nico said.

  "Nada, we were just relaxing when you ruined the mood." Emmy sarcastically said.

"Okay pues, I won't share."

  "What's that?" Gisele pointed to the clear cup with yellow contents inside.

Both Emmy and Nico gasped playfully, "You were right, she is losing her Mexican-ness."

   "Told you." Emmy said with a smirk.

Gisele rolled her eyes, "Cállate, you're not even Mexican."

   "But I am, I lived here since I was thirteen therefore, I am Mexican," he sat down next to Gisele and handed them each two cups, one orange and the other yellow, "I only payed 209 pesos for them thanks to my charming good looks."

Gisele was impressed, he basically paid ten dollars for six drinks, "I forgot."

    "Forgot what?"

    "Siempre te crees muy muy." Gisele said, ever since they met, Nico had an arrogance to him that at first rubbed both girls the wrong way but once they had gotten to know him it had become a running joke.

   "That's because he's un Argentino." Emmy exaggerated.

Nico frowned, "What's that supposed to mean?"

  "Que te crees muy muy." They both said.

   "Says the two fresas." Nico countered.

   "We're not fresas." They said.

  "Yeah you are, both of you, remember that summer when you both were about to turn sixteen. You both just started modeling and getting a bunch of money. Doña Letty took us to her rancho, all you guys did was complained about the bathroom, the roads, everything," Nico said, remembering how they complained about the cobblestone road and how bad it'd be if they sprained an ankle, "She made you both clean the schools by yourselves and give the janitors the money you earned."

   "Not our finest moments. I know this..." She held up the cup with the orangish liquid, "...is a michelada. What's this?" she held up the cup with a yellow slushy substance in it.

  "It's a mangoñada, how have you not had it?" Emmy said.

Gisele shrugged, "I don't know," she took the spoon it came with, trying a spoonful. A flavor of mango that was sweet yet a little savory, "This is so good."

So far it had been a slow day for Jackson, so slow he found himself sitting at a nurses station scrolling through Instagram and noticed Gisele had once again updated her story. Clicking it, she had reposted a picture from her maybe ex-boyfriend's account, it was a picture of him, Gisele, and Emilia at the beach both girls were kissing his cheeks with 'my ride or die's' in white letters.

He went to the post, it was three photos, the one he saw with all three of them, the second Gisele had her arms around Nico's neck and he was kissing her cheek. He looked at the caption, not understand it seeing it was in Spanish.

He spotted Callie walking out of a patient's room, "Hey Callie." He called her over knowing she knew Spanish.

  "Yeah." She walked over.

He handed her the phone, "What does that mean?"

Callie looked through the photos before even glancing at the caption, "Ooo, who is this. He's hooot."

"What did it say?"

"Mi sirenita @iamgisele y Mi pequeña bruja @emilialopez, it means my little mermaid and my little witch. I'm guessing he's calling Gisele his little mermaid," she explained before looking up at him, "You two breakup or something because she rebounded fast."

He snatched his phone back, "No, we didn't break up."

"Sorry, it's just the photo and the pet name. Did you see the pictures of Gisele at that hookah bar eith Drake?"

Jackson frowned, "Drake?"

Callie nodded, "Yeah, you know the rapper. He sings that song 'I need a one dance, Got a Hennessy in my hand'—"

"I know who Drake is." He muttered before walking away.

2 weeks later

Emmy pounded on the door, Gigi had been in the restroom for the past 20 minutes, dry heaving and if they didn't leave now she'd potentially miss her flight back home.

"Gigi, you're going to miss your flight. Hurry," she kept knocking until the door opened, Gisele was looking worse for wear, "Isn't the vomiting supposed to be gone by now."

"Yup, I think it's cause I traveled so much."

"Are you sure you don't want to take some warmer clothes?"

"No, I'm good," Gisele said, "I'm tired and all I want to do is sleep." She pouted.

Emmy reached up, placed her hand on Gisele's forehead, "You feeling okay? You're not warm?"

"I think I just need to sleep for a week."

"Okay, but you're taking a cobija."

"Yeah, I'll take a blanket."

An eight hour flight and a taxi ride later, Gisele walked through the hospital doors, she headed to the attendings lounge when she ran into Stephanie.

  "Hey, I heard," she hugged Gisele, "I'm sorry."

Gisele suddenly started crying, but forced herself to stop and pulled back, "I'm sorry... this just happens sometimes."

Stephanie's phone went off, "I have to go. You okay?"

Gisele nodded, "Yeah, have you seen Jo or my sister?"

  "Jo's at some army hospital with the chief, Torres, Grey, and Jackson," she said, backing away, "I haven't seen your sister, sorry."

On her way up to the attendings lounge, everyone kept stopping her, hugging her, and giving her their condolences. She knew they were being nice but with every person that hugged her, she was a step closer to having an emotional breakdown.

Gisele made it and saw Amelia sitting on one of the couches, "Hey."

Amelia looked up, surprised Gisele was standing in front of her, "You're back? I thought your flight wasn't till tomorrow."

   "I booked an earlier one, I just wanted to sleep in my own bed."

  "Why didn't you call me? I would've picked you up," she noticed Gisele was shaking due to her lack of jacket, "Where's your jacket? You're shaking."

  "I'm shaking because I spent the last month in at least 80 degree weather then I come back here and it's 50 degrees and raining."

Amelia grabbed her jacket off the armrest of the couch, stood up and helped her sister shrug the thin jacket on, "It's really thin but it's something," taking a good look at her, Amelia saw how drained her sister was, from the red eyes and tear tracks to the dark circle under her eyes. She wrapped her arms around her tightly causing Gisele to burst out in tears, "Fetu was a great person, I love mom and she's great but you know how sometimes emotionally withdrawn she was when we were kids. Sometimes when Fetu came to New York, she'd see that and she'd treat me like her a daughter. Demand I go wherever you guys went."

  "She always knew when I was pulling away," she sobbed into Amelia's shoulder a little harder before pulling herself together, "I can't stop crying," she sniffled wiping the tears away, "I just want to stop crying."

   "Cry if you need to... or scream. It's okay to do whatever makes you feel better."

   "I've been crying for like a month."

   "You can't force yourself to stop feeling." Amelia said.

Gisele took a deep breath, "I know."

   "So you ended up letting mom go after all." Amelia said sitting back down.

Gisele followed her sisters lead, "I just needed mom."

   "That picture of you and mom was really cute, Gazelle," when she and her mom were in Samoa, Talia had taken a picture of them napping. Gisele was cuddled up to her mom, Gisele had captioned it 'I'll always be your little gazelle'. Gazelle was nickname she'd given herself when she was a year and a half old, she'd spell her name with an A instead of I, and a Z instead of S, "I need to go check on a post op's, wanna come," Gigi shook her head, "Okay, page if you need me."

"I will."

Gisele had gotten tired of sitting by herself in silence and decided to go down to the ER, once again everyone she passed had stopped her and gave her their condolences. It was an understatement to say she was over it.

Spotting Owen, she called for him, "Owen!"

"Gisele," he walked over to her, "You're back, I'm s—"

She sighed, she was annoyed with everyone telling her they're sorry, "I know, your sorry. I get it. Do you know when they're getting back from the army hospital?"

   "Should be any minute now."

   "Thanks," Gisele stood outside in the ambulance bay, suddenly felt the chilly air was when her teeth began to chatter, the thin jacket doing nothing for her. She was now regretting not going staying in the attendings lounge where it was warm.

Suddenly, Bailey appeared from seemingly out of nowhere running towards her.

Bailey stopped seeing Gisele standing outside, "Gisele, you're back. If you need more time off you can have it to grieve or...," her phone buzzed, "I have to go deal with something." Before she left she gave a gentle squeeze to Gisele's shoulder.

Not long after, the bus pulled into the ambulance bay, coming to a stop a few feet away from her. She watched Jo jump out of the passenger seat and run over to her.

Jo brought her in for a tight hug, "I'm always here if you need anything," saying nothing at first, she heard Gisele start to sniffle, "I'm always here."

Everyone had gotten off the bus and decided not to disturb the moment between the two residents and made their way inside, except Jackson who waited. He really missed his girlfriend.

Jo pulled away, "Call me later, okay."

She nodded, "Yeah," She looked over at him, forcing a smile, "Hey."

"Hi," He saw just how bad she was shaking, shrugging off his coat he placed it over her shoulders, "You're freezing... How are you holding up?"

Tears began flowing, she couldn't stop them, "I c-can't stop c-crying."

"It's okay to cry." he hugged her and stroked her hair.

"I know," she hiccuped, "but my gra-grandma didn't want that, she didn't wa-want us being sad."

"You can't control how you feel."

"I miss her."

"I know, I know," he said, "Want to come over—"

Gisele shook her head, "Maybe later but right now I just need to be in my own bed."

"How about I come over so we can sleep in your bed?" He asked, hopeful she'd say yes. He knew she wouldn't be alone but he really wanted to be there for her.

She nodded, "Yes, please."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.3K 657 41
Escaping from her so called past life, Callie Torres decided to move to Seattle to somehow rebuild her life. Along the way, she meets people who soon...
6.2K 496 29
Amelia Shepherd moves to Seattle after divorcing her husband Ryan after their relationship went sour. She's fragile and scared, and super protective...
144K 2.6K 36
Instead of Derek getting into an accident, what if it was Meredith back in Seattle? Will she survive? *set in season 11 when Derek was in dc
33.5K 1.3K 33
What happens when one of the Shepherd family gets in a bad accident, will the family adjust and stick together as they discover their new daily life...