Winter Rose.

By imintheblackparade

There were two babes in the Tower of Joy. Two babes tied so closely to their parents, Ned had to make the de... More

Prologue
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
Part ii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.
xxi.
xxii.
xxiii.
xxiv.
Part iii.
xxv.
xxvi.
xxvii.
xxviii.
xxix.
xxx.
xxxi.
xxxii.
xxxiii.
xxxiv.
Part iv.
xxxv.
xxxvi.
xxxvii.
xxxviii.
xxxix.
xl.
xli.
xlii.
xliii.
xliv.
xlv.
xlvi.
xlvii.
xlviii.
xlix.
l.
li.
lii.
liii.
Part v.
liv.
lv.
lvi.
lvii.
lviii.
A/N about the book
lix.
lx.
lxi.
lxii.
lxiii.
lxiv.
lxv.
lxvi.
lxvii.
lxviii.
lxix.
lxx.
Part vi.
lxxi.
lxxii.
lxxiii.
lxxiv.
lxxv.
lxxvi.
lxxvii.
lxxviii.
lxxix.
lxxx.
lxxxi.
Part vii.
lxxxii.
lxxxiii.
lxxxiv.
lxxxv.
lxxxvi.
lxxxvii.
lxxxviii.
lxxxix.
xc.
xci.
xcii.
xciii.
xciv.
xcv.
xcvi.
xcvii.
xcviii.
xcix.
c.
ci.
cii.
ciii.
civ.
cv.
cvi.
cvii.
cviii.
Part viii.
cix.
cx.
cxi.
cxii.
cxiii.
cxiv.
cxv.
cxvi.
cxvii.
cxviii.
cxix.
cxx.
cxxi.
cxxii.
cxxiii.
cxxiv.
cxxv.
cxxvii.
cxxviii.
cxxix.
cxxx.
cxxxi.
Part ix.
Ending A.i.
Ending A. ii.
Ending A. iii.
Ending A. iv.
Ending B.i.
Ending B. ii.
Ending B. iii.
Ending B. iv.
Ending c.
A/N and bloopers.

cxxvi.

2K 118 52
By imintheblackparade

Thank you for all the responses for the last chapter. 

Rhae's arms curled around her brother as the pair watched the Dornish army, the forces marching their way from the courtyard of Winterfell and through the main road that leads to the King's Road; their yellow armour bright against the muddy, trodden snow. She could see Oberyn in the front, Alleras beside him as they led their army.

She felt lost at the sight of them going, at Oberyn leaving for Dorne once more and not returning until whenever he felt he was healed. The death of his daughters had rocked him, shaken him to his core much like Elia's death had all those years ago, and like he did on Dragonstone, he was doing what was right for his family.

Rhaenar had opened the letter, and stored it alongside those of Rhaegar and Eddard's in Rhaegar's chest, locking it tight with a key to only open when she needed to. The contents were secret, and that's how she would keep them. Aegon tugged her tighter, his hand rubbing soothingly along her back. "You can see him whenever, you know that."

She nodded, biting down on her lower lip. "I know that." Rhae agreed gently, letting Aegon's cloak swamp her. "It doesn't make it any easier."

"It won't, a part of you loves him." Deep down, Rhaenar knew that. She knew that Oberyn had been a literal rock for her through some of the hardest points of her life, she just regretted she couldn't always be the same. "Did you open his letter?"

Rhae nodded. "It's of no concern to anyone but myself." She ended swiftly, standing slightly taller at his side as the last of the Dornish began to march from the gates. They had a long ride ahead of them, the potential for it to get dangerous for them as they came close to King's Landing not leaving her. Oberyn was smart, and fearless; he would survive anything.

"Shall we join the council?" He prompted, leaving the conversation where it was as he glanced beside him; to one of the small towers that led to the many corridors of Winterfell.

The council, Rhae thought, raising her brows; she'd almost completely forgotten about it. "Yes." Rhaenar muttered in agreeance, nodding as she let Aegon lead her from the wall fortress and inside, where the cold wasn't as biting, and the snow couldn't settle in their hair. The Lords who had pledged themselves to her would be in attendance - mostly those of the Stormlands, Westerlands, and her own armies; she still had yet to let the Crownlands warm up to her, but in time she hoped their fractured relationship would heal.

Rhae knew numbers would be low, that they'd need time to recuperate following the Long Night, but at least they'd be able to discuss before making any moves, and hopefully head home before charging into King's Landing. "Are you nervous?" He asked.

She shook her head. "Surprisingly not, yesterday... I think I needed it, to come into my own again." Rhaenar muttered with surety, glancing up to meet his eyes. "I know I was angry with you for the way it came out, but in a way, I'm glad it did. There's no more lies, or secrets. Just the truth, of what the war was, what we are. We may have battles to face in the future, but for now we can focus on this."

Her cheeks had remained flushed from the sips of wine from last night, her eyes sparkling to him under the overcast sky despite the dark circles lining them. Rhaenar's step had a spring, her smile a little bright, and her mood lifted in a quick wave.

He smiled at her, his lips raising as he tugged her close and pressed a kiss to her forehead. At least Rhaenar was in a better mood, happier than he'd seen her since she arrived in the North. "Shall we go show the Lords a thing or two?"

"After you." Aegon encouraged, letting her take the lead as she opened the doors of the main hall, the spirits lighter as faces turned towards her. She could see the Lords of the Stormlands and Westerlands clinging to the edges of the room; Tywin standing beside Gendry, and Missandei and Torgo taking another side. In front of her stood Tyrion and Varys, welcoming her with warm eyes as they stepped back to reveal Harry.

Her heart swelled as she rushed over, wrapping her arms around his shoulders as he grunted beneath her. "Careful, Your Grace, I'm not ready for you yet." He teased, his own eyes closing as they embraced one another.

"Shut up, you oaf." Rhaenar teased, stepping back as she cupped his cheeks. "It is so good to have you back, Harry; I thought you'd be out for a least a few more days."

He shook his head, glancing down to his armour - the place where the wight had speared, was miraculously patched with more jewels. "If I can put this armour on, I can fight for you. I promised you my last breath, and this is me giving it to you." Rhae smiled, taking his hand and squeezing it as Aegon came to her side, and they all glanced over the map.

Harry held a special place in her heart, like a younger brother or a cousin she wanted to look out for. "Now, someone fill me in on the forces we have to our disposal. I want to know just how depleted we find ourselves after this war." Rhae uttered as she glanced to the pieces on the board, their chips all different shapes as they represented the multitude of armies.

Torgo stepped forward first. "Half are gone." He confirmed, reaching forward to remove half of the chips that represented the Unsullied. Rhae knew they had taken a considerable hit, leaving the Unsullied at a force of 5,000 at best. They'd be tired, especially having come from the war at Highgarden, training at Casterly Rock, and then moving onwards to Winterfell.

"And the Dothraki?" She prompted, noting the pieces that had sat in front of the circles.

He frowned, reaching out to remove another half. Rhaenar sighed. "They too took considerable losses, and without the leadership of Qotho and Shaqafi, it'll take time for them to decide new leaders." New leaders were vital in not only finding out the needs of the Dothraki she had here, but to also relay the word to those that remained in Meereen, that their loved ones wouldn't return home.

"Were there any survivors from Shaqafi's squad?" They'd faced the brute of the dead that had made it in the Godswood, and from clear up it was hard to decipher how long they had lasted and if any survived from the number of corpses within the woods. Torgo shook his head. Fuck, she thought, reaching up to run a hand across her lips.

The Dothraki and Unsullied brought the numbers to 65,000 roughly - the same number of the Stormcrows estimated to have been ferried to the Capital by Euron's men. "Aegon, inform me of the Firebornes."

"Not as many casualties, but many were wounded. We're standing at 7,000." He agreed before tugging back some of the chips. The map was beginning to look a little thin from what had previously sat upon it.

"Harry?" Her only hope of having her own army take King's Landing, without the help of the other Lords. She'd already asked so much of them to come up here, asking them to fight in a war they were caught in the middle of seemed to be unreasonable.

He grimaced. "Elephants down by half. Men down to similar numbers as the Fireborne, we're looking at 7,000 too." Rhae nodded, pursing her lips. She knew the Unsullied planned to head to Naath, and Rhaenar wanted to uphold that promise, but they may need to delay it until after they had taken King's Landing. Rhaenar would wait before saying anything, give them a chance to see what they're working with.

Her eyes lifted, watching as the Lords of the Crownlands, Stormlands, and Westerlands moved forward. Tywin moved away a small portion, her brow raising. "You didn't take many casualties, Lord Tywin?"

He shook his head. "The archers maintained their distance, the footsoldiers worked together. It was mainly the men sent to defend the soldiers that paid a price." Tywin said stiffly, nodding his head. "We would have sustained much more if it wasn't for the added efforts of the other Lords, and the sacrifice of the Unsullied."

Rhaenar bowed her head to his words, understanding his stance. "Thank you, Lord Tywin." Torgo said, glancing at the man he had been shadowing. "The Lannister Army fought bravely, Your Grace, almost like the Unsullied." It was a high complement to come from Torgo as Tywin nodded his head respectfully to the commander beside him, his cheeks flushing as he raised his chin that little higher.

Rhaenar smiled, before glancing around. "Anything else we should note on?"

Varys nodded, placing down some chips in King's Landing. "The Stormcrows have arrived in King's Landing, courtesy of the Greyjoy fleet. The balance has grown distressingly even." She could see the pieces, the three armies almost rivalling what they held.

"When the people find out what we have done for them, that we saved them..." Missandei began, her voice gentler than the others, but her eyes as equally as hard.

Rhae shook her head, turning to her friend. "That's not their way; Cersei will make it all a fallacy, claim it was all preparation for war on the capital. They'll never truly believe our word." And that was the hard part of it being so isolated, that people would never realise the very real threat that had lingered North of the wall. "If we're going to hit her, we need to be clever about it."

Tyrion nodded, agreeing with his Queen as he glanced over the map. "The objective here is to remove Cersei without destroying King's Landing." Yes, that they could all agree upon. Rhaenar didn't want more blood on her hands than she already had, if they did this, they'd do it the correct way.

"Thankfully, she's losing allies by the day. Yara Greyjoy has retaken the Iron Islands in her Queen's name. The new Lord of the Storm's End had pledged himself to Your Grace, and we have more allies than realised." Varys began as he motioned to Gendry, the Lord smiling gently as all eyes turned to him.

Rhae smiled, the corners of her eyes crinkling. "And we welcome Lord Gendry, and thank him for supporting us along with the other Lords." She reminded herself as she gazed over them all, keeping the happy expression to her as she invited them to step closer. "But, with Cersei on the Throne, we still don't hold official power in Westeros. As long as she sits on it, all that we do will be for nought."

"We need the capital." Aegon agreed, their focus turning to the Red Keep's depiction.

"I watched the people of King's Landing rebel against their King when they were hungry, and that was before winter began." Rhae grimaced. "Give them the opportunity and they will cast Cersei aside." She didn't like the idea of making the smallfolk suffer just because they were at war, she needed to be better than her predecessors.

Gendry stepped forward, nodding his head. "We'll surround the city. If the Iron Fleet tries to ferry in more food, the dragons will destroy them. If the Lannisters and the Stormcrows attack, we'll defeat them in the field." Though she preferred the idea of meeting the Lanisters and Stormcrows in the field, she was still unsure about the prospect of starving them."

"Once the people see that Cersei is our only enemy, her reign is over." Tyrion confirmed.

Rhaenar frowned. "I am unsure of this plan," She admitted to them. "Not only for the safety of the smallfolk in King's Landing, but to also use the armies of the Stormlands, Crownlands, and other regions of Westeros." Rhae continued on. "You've suffered a great loss at your own expense, not only have you lost family and men, but that also means you've lost some protection for your lands. All it takes is for Cersei to offer better deals to the Houses that haven't picked a side, and you'll be warring amongst yourselves."

Lord Penrose stepped forward. "That is a risk I am willing to take Your Grace, not once has Cersei Lannister considered us as her people, but in the short time we've been acquainted, you've given us more of a place in Westeros than ever before." He glanced around him, to the other Lord. "If it gets her off the Throne, and you on it, I am all for fighting alongside you."

Her heart swelled, seeing some of the other Lords nod along. "I thank you, Lord Penrose for your words; and offer you this. You may fight if you choose, it is up to you if you continue to march with us. Please do not feel that if your Overlord or friends have made such a decision, you have to." Rhaenar tried to sweeten, keeping to her moral of giving everyone a choice in what their House can do.

"All right. The men we have left are exhausted. Many of them are wounded. They'll fight better if they have time to rest and recuperate." Tywin said, the other Lords nodding at his words.

"I agree, if we're going to fight an army of this size, we'll need the men to be the best they can be. How long do you suggest we wait?" Rhae questioned.

"I can't say for certain, not without talking to the officers, but estimates should suggest a month or two. Enough time for us to sail back to our respected lands and then formulate a plan once we work out what Cersei's tactics will be." He knew his daughter, but she was alone. With whoever the captain of the Stormcrows was, and the Generals left in King's Landing.

A month or two would give them plenty of time, those who had sustained more serious injuries could then choose to come along or to sit it out. "What do you think she'll be planning?" Her eyes flickered between Tyrion and Tywin, the members of family who would understand her the most.

They may have underestimated her once, but hopefully they had learnt from their mistakes. "She'll rely heavily on the Greyjoy fleet, it's her strongest asset right now - especially knowing we'll be making a journey from the North now the war is won." Tyrion uttered as he motioned towards the Greyjoys.

Rhaenar nodded. "What do you suggest we do?"

"Split ourselves, some of the Lords that sailed North have enough space upon their ships that we should have our forces divided. As for those who live on the continent, they can travel by the King's Road, if that's acceptable?" The emerald turned to the Lords who nodded. "The Dothraki might fare better riding the King's Road with the armies, so if there is a potential attack upon our armies, they'll have more numbers."

"I am willing to host the Unsullied and Dothraki in the Westerlands until we are ready to make our move." Tywin agreed. "The Firebornes and the Golden Company should give you enough men to sail safety to Dragonstone with." Yes, it would give her enough numbers; but the Unsullied were set to sail to Naath.

Torgo's eyes met Rhaenar's. "Are your plans still the same? You're still destined for Naath." She questioned him.

They flickered to Missandei, who in turn glanced up to Rhaenar. "We are willing to postpone, if it pleases Your Grace. We crossed to be by your side, it would be wrong of us to abandon you now." She said, nodding her head. It filled her heart knowing Missandei was willing to wait, that she would stay until they got back on their feet. Rhae smiled at her, giving her hand a quick squeeze before turning back to the map.

"So... if all are in agreement... All armies shall return home while we put up a blockade on King's Landing, limiting the supply of food. If any attempt to smuggle food into the capital, those in ships shall meet the Greyjoy army and engage." A good alternative to using the dragons. "Then once recuperated, the Westerlands shall ride down the Kingsroad, meeting the Reach's army to enter the city from the West and South side; the Crownlands will be defending the sea and come up through the route and into the bottom of the Keep, and the Stormlands will enter from the North side." Tyrion pointed.

"This will begin a coup from the inside out." Tyrion explained as he moved the pieces around the map to surround King's Landing. "Then, we shall sail from Dragonstone with the Golden Company and Firebornes, with the Queen and the Dragons."

She nodded. "We'll take it slow, minimal innocents killed - we don't need a repeat of the Sack of King's Landing." She uttered, meeting their eyes. "District by district, the foot soldiers shall sweep the streets. Meeting the Lannister Army and the Stormcrows if needed."

"There'll be defences along the outskirts of the city awaiting the Dragons." Varys advised, Rhaenar nodded.

"It'll be Egg and I's job to get rid of them, while also targeting Greyjoy's fleet. Without a third rider, it'll be trickier to instruct Rhaegal but as long as he can see what we're doing, nothing should go wrong." Rhae told them. She knew Rhaegal had bonded with Jon, and it wasn't unlike dragons not to bond with another rider; but once a rider has bonded with a dragon, they can't then ride another. Rhaegal was soft in his temperament, he'll be tasked with removing the defences along the outskirts of the city - away from civilians.

Rhaenar bit down on her lip. "What of Ser Jaime?" She asked, looking to Tywin. He could be a liability if he returned to his sister.

"Ser Jaime has chosen to remain here, as a guest of the Lady of Winterfell." Up here, out of the way. That was good.

Her eyes met the others, their wide gazes all turning to her as she straightened. "Hopefully by the end of this, we'll see a glimmer of the Kingdom Westeros once was, where we can prosper and build a better future for our children."

"Here, here." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.9K 737 22
Summer Charming is the 14 year old daughter of David. She doesn't know who her mother and she doesn't need to know because she doesn't want to know t...
109K 3.6K 120
Where three broken people find solace in each other. Katarina stark is the eldest child of Catelyn and Ned stark but she was flawed. With only one l...
28.6K 798 41
In which Visenya Velaryon, second born of Rhaenyra Targaryen and Harwin Strong, causes some riots and fights the urge of following the Targaryen cust...
66.5K 2.1K 30
"We are technically brother and sister now... ooh scandalous" ⚔️ Tyrion Lannister is head over heels in love with Roberts little sister Sofia Barathe...