๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ฆ๐ž๐ซ ๐ฃ๐จ๐›; byler

By itsjustbyler

โ˜†.๏ฝก.:*In Which Will takes a summer job in a small town restaurant, and Mike is the son of the restaurants own... More

i n t r o
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
t w e l e v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y- o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y- s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
e p i l o g u e
a u t h o r ' s n o t e

e l e v e n

18.7K 574 4.4K
By itsjustbyler

▪ ▪ ▪ 

luckily, will ended up making it on time. he was even a few minutes early.

the line at the postal office was very short- suspiciously so. there were tons of people waiting but somehow will and mike's turn came after no more than 5 minutes. will suspected mike's status had something to do with that- but didn't have enough proof and bringing it up seemed idiotic.

so, with a promise of his fixed phone getting there in 7-10 business days, will said goodbye to mike and went into the restaurant. 

he changed into his uniform, mind racing all the while: was there something going on with him and mike? could there be?

it made sense: the endless meetings, the constant flirting... he had just kind of ignored it. he figured that's just how mike was. but did he- was there a chance that-

well, could mike have actually meant something?

maybe he did. and maybe will knew that he did. maybe he had played along with it because he wanted something to happen? 

he couldn't deny it any longer. he knew that what they were doing wasn't just casual friends stuff. he had known along, of course he had! normal friends don't just walk around town holding hands. normal friends don't buy each other super expensive books for no reason.

and the fact that he had known, even though he had refused to admit it to himself, just made him uneasy. did he want something to happen? did he actually like mike, even with the warnings, even though he had only known him for weeks?

ugh. this is exactly why he wanted to focus on work this summer. all this thinking, all this does he like me-do i like him- do i want him- thing was too exhausting and it just wasn't why he had come there. it was a distraction, a distraction from the nearing promise of his dream college.

but, what if it didn't have to be? what if it was something good, having someone to back him up and support him through everything? he was 17, it was normal to want a relationship for the first time of his life... what if dating mike would do him good?

throughout his entire shift, his mind didn't leave the topic- changing his opinion every four seconds approximately- but by the time the shift was over he maybe- sort of- came to a decision.

because he couldn't deny it any longer: he liked mike. not asshole mike, but the sweet nerd he had gotten to know. he like mike, and he wanted something to happen. something more than whatever was happening.

he really, really did.

▪ ▪ ▪ 

"so, what are you up to tonight?" max asked, pulling him out of his thoughts. she was sitting on the counter, moving a towel around it slightly (as if she was helping to clean) while jane washed the  floor, and will was stacking up chairs. it was just something she did.

"umm-" will started, but before he could answer max spoke again.

"because we were thinking we could take you out! it's been weeks and we still haven't taken you into town... what do you say?"

will didn't know what to respond. he didn't actually have plans with mike tonight- a rare occurrence- and having a night out with the girls sounded nice in theory...

but he just wanted to see mike. dumb as it was, even though he had seen him just hours prior, will really wanted to see mike. to see if his speculations were right...

"sorry, i, umm, can't tonight. can we do it some other day?"

max sighed in disappointment, letting go of the towel completely. 
"aww, i really thought it would be fun. it's nothing though, we can totally do it some other time!"

will felt like the worst person, but he couldn't help it. 
"thanks, and sorry!" he exclaimed, and finally put the last chair on the stack.

"actually, it it okay if i get going?" he pleaded. the urge to see mike was just too strong, and he was afraid that if he stayed just a few minutes more he would tell them all about his relationship with the black-haired boy accidentally. 

"and leave jane to clean up all by herself?" max said, shaking her head. this made jane turn towards them for the first time, sighing. she took her mop and came to stand by them.

"it's okay, you can totally go, will. max can do some cleaning for once." at this she took the mop, squeezing the soap water out of it and onto max's head. the girl screamed, jumping up.

"oh my god, what was that for?" she exclaimed, her light orange hair turning dark red with the water and sticking to her face.

jane shrugged, a small smile tugging on the edges of her mouth.

"just felt like it."

she pushed the wet hair out of max's face and kissed her on the cheek, before turning back to will.

"anyways, yeah, go! it's all good." she smiled, and will smiled back gratefully.

"thank you! see you guys tomorrow!" he exclaimed, and without waiting for a response he ran out. before the door closed behind him, however, he couldn't help overhearing max's whisper: 

"where is he in such a rush to? do you think he has a secret boyfriend or something?"

instead of blushing at this, he just smiled.

or something, he thought, but i'm planning to change that.

▪ ▪ ▪ 

problem was, he had no idea where mike would be.

at first, he thought about going to the house. it was kind of late, it made sense for mike to be back in his room, sitting on the floor and playing video games, like most nights. 

but mike's complaints about wanting to go to the beach that morning made will think he may still be hanging around the breakwater. mike really loved the beach and will didn't think he had gotten his fill of the ocean that day.

yeah, if he knew mike as well as he thought he did- mike would be near the breakwater.

so he started towards there, his heart fluttering a little as his feet kicked the sand in their walk. mike was close. his walk became a little faster, almost a slight jog, and for a slight second he was so happy he wanted to scream.

he was at the beach, he had a job. he was going to his dream college, he had friends! he hadn't been called a single gay slur for weeks, and he had an almost- sorta'-kinda'-maybe boyfriend? 

life could actually not be better.

and there he was- just as he had thought, on that little section of the beach right by the breakwater. standing in the water, back faced towards will, shirtless with those black swim trunks. the moonlight washing over his pale skin, making him seem like porcelain. making his dark hair seem even darker.

will's walk became even faster, now actually jogging as he made his way towards mike. but as he got closer, his steps became lighter and slower, lighter and slower, before completely sliding to a stop.

because mike wasn't alone. he was laughing with a really pretty, really tall girl in a small pink bikini. she had perfect blue eyes, perfect blonde hair: perfect tan, perfect body. will had never seen her before, but he had seen a million like her on the beach. 

they still hadn't noticed him, still laughing at some unknown joke. then, the girl hugged mike's neck, reaching up to push his hair out of his face. 

and mike didn't protest, he did nothing but lean down... and- and-

will didn't look to see what the next thing was- he didn't need to. he turned away, wanting to get out of there as fast and as quiet as he could....

but with a signature will step, he tripped over absolutely nothing and fell in the sand, scraping his knee and making a noise loud enough to get both mike and the girl to look at him.

"will-" mike started, but will didn't wait. he got up, tears of humiliation and pain in his eyes, and ran back towards where he came from.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ 

𝐣𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝟑𝟎𝐭𝐡. 𝟏𝟑𝟓𝟒 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8K 185 18
๐—ช๐—ถ๐—น๐—น ๐—•๐˜†๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ต๐—ฎ๐—ฑ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐˜‚๐—น๐—ฒ๐˜€, ๐—ป๐—ผ ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป๐˜€, ๐—ป๐—ผ ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—ต๐—ผ๐—น, ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐˜€๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น๐˜†, ๐—ป๐—ผ ๐—ฏ๐—ผ๐˜†๐˜€. ๐—•๐˜‚...
3.2K 97 25
This is set to 2018. Will Byers never really had a good social life. He only had two friends. Max and El. But what's happens when a certain someone f...
799K 18.9K 26
โ˜†.๏ฝก.:*In which Will and Mike were best friends, but that was many years ago. Now? They never speak, or even acknowledge each other's existence.When t...
390K 12.2K 25
โ˜†.๏ฝก.:*In which Mike's family owns a charity. An honest-to-god charity. They're THAT rich. Mike volunteers there (a little against his will) and it's...