๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ฆ๐ž๐ซ ๐ฃ๐จ๐›; byler

By itsjustbyler

โ˜†.๏ฝก.:*In Which Will takes a summer job in a small town restaurant, and Mike is the son of the restaurants own... More

i n t r o
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l e v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y- o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y- s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
e p i l o g u e
a u t h o r ' s n o t e

n i n e

20.7K 627 4.1K
By itsjustbyler

▪ ▪ ▪

"you guys can go ahead. i'll close up." 

maybe he had jumped the gun a little bit. the last costumer had only just left, max had barely had time to close the restaurant door before will had uttered the words. he had said them so decisively, both jane and max turned towards him.

"no, no! that makes zero sense dud," max said, "you did more work then the both of us combined, and it's still your second day. go home!" 

"no!" will insisted, and maybe his voice was a bit too loud. he just had to get them out of there, or they'd see mike coming to pick him up...

"what do you mean, no? don't you want to go home?" jane asked, looking at him sideways, "i bet you're dying to get off your feet."

will couldn't deny that he was, but he had plans- and he knew if the two girls saw mike they'd just tell will how bad he is again. and maybe if they said it again he'd be persuaded... and he honestly didn't want to be. he wanted to give mike a chance because they would live in the same house for two months and having mike as a friend would just be much better. 

"i just, umm," his mind struggled to find an excuse that would justify his strange behavior, " i want to make sure that i can do it. you know, in case i'll need to one day."

"okay..." jane said slowly, "so we'll stay and teach you."

fuck!

"no, go! i want to make sure i can do it by myself." 

his excuse sounded weak, even to him. both jane and max turned to each other, exchanging a weird look. will could practically see the wheels turning in their head, trying to find an excuse for his behavior. what kind of 17-year-old would want to work more on his summer break?

"guys, i promise i know how to do this. you showed me how to lock yesterday, and i'm kind of the master of cleaning. it'll take me no more than 20 minutes."

that part was actually true. will was really good at cleaning, he had plenty of practice. before the divorce, he spent every day after school making sure the house was squeaky clean: because even a speck of dust on one of the windows would make his dad mad, and when his dad was mad-

point being, he knew how to clean, and clean well.

"i mean, if he's sure... we could have date night," max started, looking at jane with a glint in her eyes. will felt his heart starting to drop with relief.

"no! he shouldn't have to do all the work!" jane insisted, but before will could argue max spoke again.

"babe, he's literally asking to. if we go home early we can bake something..." she tempted, and will saw jane starting to break.

"i mean-" she tried, but then sighed. she turned back to will, "but you've got to promise to let us open tomorrow. i feel bad!"

will almost let out a sigh of relief. "okay, i promise. now go! have fun!"

he was practically pushing them out the door, and they laughed slightly.
"okay, okay!" max said as they got to the door. she was about to leave when she turned to will again,

"don't think we've forgotten about the promise to take you out. soon!" 

will nodded, smiling. "of course. can't wait!"

the girls smiled and waved, and finally will was alone in the restaurant. 

▪ ▪ ▪ 

just as he predicted, the closing took about 25 minutes- and he was pretty sure "the anchor" had never looked this clean.

he sat at one of the tables outside, impatiently looking around at the mostly-empty beach. where was he?

it had been a full hour since closing time, when mike had promised to meet him, about 30 of that was spent cleaning and convincing max and jane to leave- but the rest will spent sitting outside.

he really felt like an idiot, sitting alone at the beach at 10:30 pm. even worse- sitting alone at the beach at 10:30 pm waiting for a guy. he really was a cliche.

he moved around in his chair uncomfortably. was this really what he was doing in his summer break? had he really ditched the two friends he made just to wait for some guy who wasn't even showing up?

he was just starting to think that maybe he should just go home- forget this whole thing- when mike's familiar figure approached from the gate.

"hey!" mike said, coming to stand by will. he didn't look apologetic, no "sorry you waited for so long, will". no excuse. just smiling, like nothing had happened. like he wasn't an hour late. 

just smiling, his hair wet and sticking to his face. 

"ready to go?" he asked, nonchalant as ever.

"you do know that closing time is 9:30, right?" will said, not letting this slide. he was sure a lot of people were willing to wait for the great mike wheeler, but he wasn't one of them. mike looked confused, the smile slowly leaving his face.

"yeah..." he said.

"and you do remember saying you'd meet me at closing time?"

realization dawned on mike's face. he raised his hand to his neck, looking almost embarrassed. 
"oh. i'm sorry, man. i lost track of time."

will wanted to argue this further. he hated people treating his time like it was less valuable than theirs... why did he have to wait for so long, and mike could just get away scot-free?

but there was something about mike's dark eyes looking at his, that light blue shirt billowing in the night wind, that just made his anger sort of vanish.

he didn't like that it did. 

not here for guys, will....

"it's okay. let's just go."

▪ ▪ ▪ 

the small town was just a few minutes of walk away from the beach. 

it was barely even a town, just a few short buildings, and a town square. the ground was paved with red bricks, and every house was a different color of pastel. blue, green, red.... it was stunning. like something straight out of a book. and even though it was small, really small, will had only hawkins to compare it with.

and compared to hawkins, this beautiful little town seemed like new york.

will couldn't help staring in awe, slowing to look at everything they passed by. every potted plant, every graffiti on every wall.

"you like it?" mike asked as they neared the square, which mike announced with the middle of the town.
will hurried to nod, "so, so much."

mike smiled wide. "i had a feeling you would. it's pretty, but it's very boring."

at this, will couldn't help a snort of laughter. "if you think this is boring, don't ever come to hakwins."

mike laughed too, nodding. "noted. now, where do you want to go?"

will paused to think about it. where did he want to go? he didn't know this place... but instead of letting mike decide, he realized he did have somewhere he wanted to go...

"umm, is there maybe a book store around? i really need a new read."

"sure," mike said, "it's actually right across the street." he pointed at a small yellow building exactly across the road.

"of course it is," will muttered, stunned again. it was literally the most picturesque place he had ever seen in his life. it looked old, but still in good condition: flowers grew all around it, and only a single lamp was giving it light. it was actually perfect.

"what do you mean?" mike asked, puzzled,  "is that a bad thing?"

"no, no!" will explained. he turned a bit red, realizing how bad he sounded, "it's just... everything is so perfect here, so of course the most beautiful building around is the bookstore." 

mike didn't respond, and it took a few seconds for will to realize that he had stopped walking. he just stood there, staring at will, looking deep in thought.

"what?" will asked, turning even redder. had he done something stupid?

"nothing. you're just... you're weird, will who's- last -name- i still -don't -know. but like, a good weird."
will laughed nervously, not knowing what the appropriate reaction is.

"thanks, i guess?" he said, and mike just shrugged and started walking again, like nothing out of the ordinary had just happened. like these were just normal things people say.

luckily for will, he didn't have to come up with anything else to say- because moments later they entered the shop.

"woah."

it was just as stunning inside. expolding bookshelves, books everywhere the eye could see, empty of people but one old woman behind the counter, and a huge tabby cat sleeping on a copy of crime and punishment.

and everyone knows, a bookstore is great- but a bookstore with a resident cat is even better.

"i'm glad you like it," mike laughed as will rushed towards one of the shelves, immediately looking through the books.

"omg they have perks of being a wallflower!" will gasped, picking up the small book from the pile.
" is that something you've been wanting to read?" mike asked, and will was honestly offended.

"no, it's just the best book of all time. i have like three copies at home. how have you not read perks??"

mike shrugged. "i'm not much of a reader. i usually go over there," he gestured to a single shelf holding no more than 25 comic books.

will couldn't help a laugh. "for real? you write poems but only read marvel comics?"

"excuse me, i read dc too!" mike responded, and will laughed even harder. 
"i know it's weird. i just... i don't know." mike continued, and once again he just looked... vulnerable. actually embarrassed. 

"well, that means you haven't found the right book, "  will didn't look at mike as he spoke, still browsing through the shelves of books, "i don't think there's anyone who doesn't like books. especially not people who write poetry at the beach. you just have to find the right one."

he didn't wait for mike's response, or even look at his reaction. he just picked up a book from the pile, les miserable, checked it's back for a few seconds and nodded.

"this one is great. let's go."

"woah, already? don't you want to like... look around more?" mike asked, and will shook his head.
"it's on my list. i've been meaning to read this for ages and besides, if i browse anymore i'll be stuck here for days."

mike looked at him with that weird thoughtful look again, and shrugged again. his dark eyes looked even brighter in the warm light of the store...

they started towards the counter, and will sat the book down.

"just this, sweetie?" the woman said, and will was about to nod when mike interjected.

"no, this one too." he slid the copy of perks that will had been looking at on the counter.

"i mean you did say it was the best book ever," he said when will glanced up at him with surprise, a small smile on his lips. 

 and will couldn't deny that his  heart exploded a little.

"that'll be 49.90," the woman said, but before will could take out his wallet mike placed a crumpled 50 dollar bill on the counter.

"don't argue. my welcome gift, and also one of those is mine!" he said. will couldn't do anything but smile like an idiot. how could mike be such an asshole at times and the sweetest person on earth at the same time? how could he refuse when he just got a book he wanted to read for ages and got someone else to read his favorite book ever?

especially when that someone was mike wheeler...

the woman put the books in two brown bags and handed them to the boys, who thanked her and left the store. 

before they could walk, however, will turned to mike.

"it's byers, by the way," he said finally, "my last name is byers."

mike just smiled.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ 

𝐣𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟕𝐭𝐡. 𝟐𝟎𝟓𝟓 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬.

𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫 𝐬𝐚𝐲𝐬: OMG THAT'S SO LONG IM SO SORRY AHH I COULDN'T HELP IT I'VE LITERALLY NEVER WRITTEN SOMETHING THIS LONG

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.1K 1.3K 29
Will Byers falls inlove with his bestfriend Mike Wheeler. The only problem is Mike is straight and has a girlfriend. Will has to hide his true self f...
28.6K 414 10
Mike has loved the shy small boy known as Will Byers who never interacted with anyone ever. After years of stalking Will, Mike finally comes up with...
799K 18.9K 26
โ˜†.๏ฝก.:*In which Will and Mike were best friends, but that was many years ago. Now? They never speak, or even acknowledge each other's existence.When t...
500K 14.9K 56
โ˜†.๏ฝก.:*(book two, ๐‘น๐’†๐’๐’‚๐’‘๐’”๐’†, is now out- inside this book ) โ˜†.๏ฝก.:*In which Will has a problem. A big one. A problem he needs urgent help with, a...