Lumiose University - A Degree...

By AmourshippingDude

Ash, Serena, Clemont and Dawn have all worked hard at accomplishing their dreams, but each feel they need to... More

Chapter 1: What Next?
Chapter 2: Home
Chapter 3: A Lot to Learn
Chapter 4: An Old Rivalry
Chapter 5: A Challenging Gym Battle
Chapter 6: A Test on Day One
Chapter 7: The Tests Continue
Chapter 8: Sparking an Education
Chapter 9: Moving In
Chapter 10: Get Your Ash to Class
Chapter 11: Double Trouble
Chapter 12: Trainers to Fight and Battles to Win
Chapter 13: New Friends
Chapter 14: Tryouts
Chapter 15: The Lumiose Luxrays
Chapter 16: Friendship, Trust and Inspiration
Chapter 17: Eggcellent
Chapter 18: Something More
Chapter 19: The Arrivals of New Rivals
Chapter 20: The IPL Begins!
Chapter 21: A Need to Worry
Chapter 22: Anton's Secret
Chapter 23: Much Much Stronger
Chapter 24: A Test For Absol
Chapter 25: Get Off Your Grass!
Chapter 26: Eggspectations
Chapter 27: Road Trip
Chapter 28: Clemontic Geared Up
Chapter 29: Serena's Confession
Chapter 30: Hawlucha's Little Brother
Chapter 31: Absol-ute Recovery
Chapter 32: A Joy-ful and Marie Day
Chapter 33: A Mega Test
Chapter 34: Sycamore's Mega Tournament - Part 1
Chapter 35: Sycamore's Mega Tournament - Part 2
Chapter 36: Sycamore's Mega Tournament - Part 3
Chapter 37: Eggsams
Chapter 38: A Proposal
Chapter 39: The Luxray Storm
Chapter 40: Anton's Challenge
Chapter 41: The Coumarine Dance
Chapter 42: Gotta Pass 'Em All
Chapter 43: Sam Oak and Sam Oak
Chapter 44: The Absol-ute Best
Chapter 45: Alola!
Chapter 46: Back to School
Chapter 47: Performing With a Watery Charm
Chapter 48: Welcome Back! Ash vs Agatha
Chapter 49: Clemont's First Date
Chapter 50: The Race is On
Chapter 51: Old Man Bugs
Chapter 52: A Mega Project
Chapter 53: The Enemy
Chapter 54: A Memory
Chapter 55: The Battle Maison
Chapter 56: Abe and Absol
Chapter 57: A Mega Dream
Chapter 58: Shalour Showdown
Chapter 59: Laverre University
Chapter 60: A Team With a Dream
Chapter 61: A Tight Finish
Chapter 62: Ninja-lola
Chapter 63: A Lesson in Z-Moves
Chapter 64: The IPL Playoffs!
Chapter 65: Playoff Performers
Chapter 66: A Sense of Danger
Chapter 67: An Electrifying Semifinal
Chapter 68: The Power of Dreaming
Chapter 70: The Future is Now
Chapter 71: Class Action
Chapter 72: Righting a Wrong
Chapter 73: All Our Power
Chapter 74: Never Giving Up
Chapter 75: The IPL Finals!
Chapter 76: Z-Bond Shuriken
Chapter 77: And To Our Own Way

Chapter 69: The Attack

540 19 3
By AmourshippingDude

Author's Note:

Hello all. Apologies for the lengthy break (longest we've had in awhile). Just had one of those ruts. This is obviously a tricky part of the story, with it being so crucial, so I need my pieces in order. Hopefully this opens things up well enough. I guess we'll see.

Chapter 69: The Attack

As Ash and Serena headed towards the residence buildings, he noticed Serena slowing her pace, clearly tired after her earlier battle. He could see her looking lost in thought, guessing that she was playing through the battle in her head. He couldn't blame her, smiling as he looked back ahead, the memory of Absol's Mega Evolution and incredible finishing move with Braixen coming to his mind. Serena never failed to impress.

"I still can't believe today," Serena suddenly said, glancing at Ash as he slowed his pace to match hers. "I've never been in a battle like that. I can see why you enjoy it so much." She laughed as she fiddled with the ribbon he'd given her, now tied at the collar, the Key Stone within it.

"It gets better every time, too!" Ash told her, grinning. "Especially when you see an awesome battle and get to have your own right after it. I'm all fired up after yours!"

Serena laughed, while Pikachu voiced his agreement from Ash's shoulder. "Well, I'm glad it's you battling next. I'm pretty wiped out after that match."

"Hopefully you can recover soon, and then we can have a battle!" Ash told her excitedly. "I bet Absol and Decidueye could have an awesome rematch!"

"You and Decidueye might want to be careful," Serena warned jokingly. "Absol will be able to use the air as well, now!"

They shared another laugh at that, and as they continued walking, Ash thought back to that battle the two of them had fought back in Professor Sycamore's tournament. Absol may have fallen to Decidueye, or Rowlet as he was then, but he and Serena had shown themselves to be the true victors of that tournament in the end. Professor Sycamore had wanted the students to demonstrate how they could build a bond with their Pokemon, and with what Absol had been through, and how Serena had reached him, their progress together was unmatched. In his mind, the ribbon he had given her the night before was a gift to remind her to never give up, but the Key Stone was something she and Absol had earned, and it was rightfully theirs.

"Ash, do you remember last night...there was something I was going to ask you?" Ash glanced at her, seeing Serena's eyes looking oddly determined, despite her somewhat shaky voice. "Or...tell you, anyway."

Ash nodded, smiling. "Yeah, but Bonnie wanted us to go in and join the party!" He glanced at Pikachu, chuckling, but stopped as he noticed his partner Pokemon looking a little embarrassed.

"Pika..." Pikachu then said, smirking a little as he scurried down from Ash's shoulder, tapping a pokeball on his way down, releasing Rockruff to join him as he darted ahead. Rockruff looked a little surprised, but Ash nodded encouragingly at him and he ran off to join Pikachu up ahead.

When Ash returned his attention to Serena, she was staring up ahead at the two Pokemon in surprise. "Pikachu's so sweet..." she murmured, looking both embarrassed about whatever it was that electric mouse was up to, and pleased. She looked back to Ash, smiling shyly. "I...I'm not really sure how to say this."

She paused, and Ash grinned, hoping to encourage her. "Is there something worrying you?" he asked gently.

"Well...no. Not this thing anyway." Serena sighed, taking a deep breath. "What do you remember about Professor Oak's summer camp? From when we met?"

Ash thought for a moment, smiling as the memory came to him. It seemed to have become so much clearer since that day it had all come back to him when they'd found Absol after he'd taken off near Shalour City. "I remember chasing that Poliwag, and finding you down on the ground. I wanted to help you right away once I saw that you were hurt."

Serena smiled at that, and Ash thought he noticed her shuffling a little closer to him. He supposed it was a little chilly out, now that it was getting darker. "You haven't changed since then. At least, not when it comes to being so caring. I remember being so scared and frustrated at that camp. You encouraged me to never give up and I ended up really enjoying it. And now, here at school, you encourage all of us to never give up, and we've come so far."

"That's not just me," Ash said, rubbing his neck in embarrassment. Serena was much closer now. Now he was feeling nervous for whatever reason. "Everyone had a fighting spirit! Actually, I think we were all really inspired by you and Absol."

"I guess we all inspire each other," Serena said, smiling at the thought.

"Just as a team should."

"A family."

Ash nodded, pausing as he watched Pikachu and Rockruff up ahead. They looked to be having fun, but he was sure he noticed Pikachu glancing back at him and Serena a few times. Ash supposed it was to make sure they were okay considering it was getting dark. He couldn't help glancing behind him at that thought, the image of hunters coming to his mind. Fortunately, nothing was there.

"So...about what I wanted to say," Serena then murmured, glancing over at Ash. He turned his head, feeling his heart beating faster as he looked back at her. "I...really do admire you, Ash. The way you never give up, the way you care for your Pokemon and the way you help others..."

"You do that, too," Ash said slowly. They'd stopped walking now, and he hadn't even realized it till that moment. "I admire you, too!"

Serena's face went red at that, and she took a deep breath. "Well, it's more than that, Ash." She paused, looking in the direction of Prism Tower, its lights on now, bright in the darkening sky. "I-"

"Hey, get away from me!"

Ash's head shot up at that, seeing Pikachu and Rockruff already tensed and looking around. Immediately, the two darted over to him and Serena, Pikachu's cheeks sparking while Rockruff started growling. Serena was reacting just as quickly, her hand already pulling out a pokeball, which flashed open a moment later, Pancham emerging in front of her.

"That was Gabby!" she said quickly, eyes darting around. They'd both been too distracted by their conversation to properly identify where the yell had come from. A moment later, though, they heard another shout.

"Marowak, Bonemerang!"

"Anton," Ash said, eyes locking on to a street corner up ahead. "They must be that way. Let's go!"

Serena nodded, following after him as he darted ahead, Pikachu and Rockruff a few feet in front, ready to engage whatever was attacking the Laverre students. They reached the corner just as they heard another shout, followed by a small explosion and the sound of something hitting the ground. As Ash and Serena rounded the corner and looked ahead down the next street, they saw the two Laverre students, and across from them, were five figures in dark clothes, trying to look as intimidating as possible. Ash could see that two of the attackers' Pokemon were down, though, with Anton's Marowak standing over one, while Gabby's Cubone was backing off from the other.

"Anton!"

"Gabby!"

The Laverre students and their attackers both looked up in surprise, seeing their Lumiose rivals rushing towards them. The hunters, at least Ash was pretty sure they were hunters, glared at them as they approached, but Gabby smiled in relief, while Anton even nodded in thanks, seeing Pikachu, Rockruff and Pancham step in alongside his and Gabby's Pokemon. Ash and Serena positioned themselves across the hunters as well, and Ash was glad to see them looking uneasy now that the numbers were more even.

"Back off, kids," one of the hunters growled, eyes locking on Ash and Serena. "You ain't getting out of here with your Pokemon, so you might as well hand 'em over. We got people all over the city by now. You got no chance. Make it easy on yourselves."

"Said the same nonsense to us," Anton muttered, shaking his head in exasperation as he looked to Ash. "As smart as Raphael might be, he's got some real idiots in his crew."

"I don't think he needs these ones to be smart," Gabby murmured nervously, glancing at the Pokemon moving out in front of the hunters. They had a Machamp, a Dodrio and a Golem, while Anton and Gabby had already knocked out a Gabite and a Mightyena.

Another hunter laughed at that, taking a step forward as the Machamp flexed its muscles. "We don't need to be smart, but we cornered you kids. And now we're gonna grab those Pokemon of yours. That Professor's lab and the Pokemon Centre will already be taken, and the university buildings will be cleared out soon enough as well. We'll see who's calling who an idiot then."

Ash had had enough at this point, and it seemed Anton had as well. Immediately, both stepped forward, ordering attacks. "Pikachu, Thunderbolt! Rockruff, Rock Throw!"

"Marowak, Bone Rush!"

The three Pokemon were moving in an instant, and the hunters were too stunned to respond. As Pikachu's Thunderbolt struck Machamp at the centre of the group, Rockruff aimed his stones at Dodrio, while Anton's Marowak descended on Golem with a vicious assault from his bone. Within a couple of seconds, the three Pokemon were staggering back, falling in front of the hunters a moment later. As the hunters starred ahead in shock, Pikachu's cheeks sparked in a warning.

"Maybe we should get backup..." one hunter muttered.

"Gotta be some hunters heading to the lab nearby that can help out here," another said.

Serena and Gabby didn't give them time to form a plan, though, their orders coming before the next hunter could speak. "Dark Pulse, Pancham!" Serena shouted.

"Bonemerang, Cubone!" Gabby added.

Ash could see the hunters' eyes widen as Pancham's attack rocketed towards them, the black and purple energy striking the ground at their feet. It sent them flying into the air, and it was just in time for Cubone's Bonemerang to swing around and clunk each in the head, before spinning back to him. When they fell back to the ground, they didn't get back up.

Ash and the others were silent a moment, waiting just in case the hunters moved, but also listening for signs of others nearby. The Pokemon moved back to them, readying themselves for more attackers, but it didn't appear they would be coming right away. For a moment, Ash almost wondered if this was just a stray group, and their words about more attackers being around were just lies to make them worried, but then he heard it. First, the sirens, and then the shouts and the sound of fighting.

"Raphael..." Anton muttered, adjusting the sunglasses on his face, despite the darkness.

"He was bound to come at some point," Gabby said, glancing in the direction of the nearest shout, which was followed by an explosion.

"That was in the direction of Professor Sycamore's lab," Serena said, she and Pancham moving to Ash's side as he turned around to look as well. In the distance, smoke could be seen rising over the buildings.

"They'll be after all the Pokemon in his lab," Ash said, tensing nervously, and preparing to run. He was glad to see Anton and Gabby moving forward, apparently ready to join them.

"They'll want Sycamore's Mega Evolution research as well," Anton pointed out. "Raphael always had a lot of questions about my Scizor. Whatever else he's planning, he'll want that."

Ash nodded, narrowing his eyes as he looked to Pikachu and Rockruff. "Then let's go and stop him!"

As Clemont and Korrina made their way towards Prism Tower, he couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong. He had thought he'd heard a noise at the last street corner they'd turned on, but Korrina didn't seem to have heard anything. He supposed he might've just been nervous with there being no recent signs of the hunters, but he did his best to walk faster, as hard as that was for him.

"Worried about something?" Korrina asked after a moment, her own pace quickening as Clemont's did. Not that that was much.

Clemont glanced behind them, glad to see the streetlights going on as it got much darker. "Just...a feeling. I'll feel better when we get to the gym."

Korrina glanced back as well, frowning as she thought a moment. "You think they've been too quiet, huh?"

"It just...it seems like an opportunity for them. With so much focus on the two finals matches, none of us have really been keeping our guards up." Clemont could see Korrina's hand reaching to a pokeball and did the same. "And with Serena and Gabby having had such a big battle, that's four strong Pokemon from two of our strongest trainers out of the way."

"If they show up, it would make more sense for them to wait until the Battle Teams fought, wouldn't it?" Korrina asked, looking nervously behind them as someone walked across the street. They disappeared down another a moment later and she relaxed.

"I would think so," Clemont agreed, nodding, "but whatever's happened with their base being investigated must have changed their plans somewhat. Raphael surely planned to stay here, but he had to flee. I'm guessing he'll want to take the first good opportunity he can get, and this would be one."

Korrina took a shaky breath, but nodded in agreement. "That does make sense. I almost wish we brought Vivillon with us now."

Clemont had been thinking the same, but he hadn't fully considered the possibility of an attack coming when they were at the Pokemon Centre. Seeing the other students so relaxed and unbothered after the big match, along with the tired out trainers from the playoffs up to this point, had made him uneasy, though. He could see an opportunity for the hunters and was sure they would see it as well.

"Prism Tower might be a target, so it might be safer for Vivillon to be with Marie and Nurse Joy," Clemont pointed out. "Marie's gotten much stronger with some of our training sessions, you know."

"That's true," Korrina said, smiling at the thought. She'd seen a sparring match the other day with Marie and Clemont where her Chikorita had given Chespin fits using its Sweet Scent attack. "She might take your place on the Battle Team if you're not careful."

"Maybe," Clemont laughed, perfectly willing to let that be the case if it meant Marie and the others could hold the Pokemon Centre safely in case anything happened.

They continued on in relative silence for another few minutes, before they turned down the street that was aiming straight towards Prism Tower. Clemont was feeling a little more at ease when he saw it ahead, but he couldn't help but notice a few shadowy figures hanging out near the courtyard in front. They disappeared a moment later, but it seemed odd. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, he thought, shaking his head. Then, a voice calling out to him suddenly made him jump about a foot in the air.

Clemont was embarrassed at his reaction, but he noticed Korrina's was fairly similar, the Shalour Gym Leader already preparing to throw her pokeball when she looked ahead and sighed in relief. Clemont relaxed enough to follow her gaze and sighed in relief as well when he noticed his father and Bonnie approaching. Clemont supposed his dad had been doing a job nearby and was on his way back home with Bonnie and had been looking for him.

"Whoa, son! Sorry about that. Just your sister and me!" Meyer said, he and Bonnie coming to a stop in front of Clemont and Korrina. "You two seem pretty uneasy..."

"Were you guys k-" Bonnie started saying, before Clemont quickly interrupted, face going red as Meyer chuckled.

"Just wanted to check on something at the gym," he said, giving Bonnie a warning look, before glancing at his father. "With the hunters...I just want to be sure of our plans."

Meyer shifted uncomfortably, hand going to something in his pocket. "Right..." He glanced at Bonnie, before looking to Clemont and Korrina again, "There was something I wanted to check on as well before heading home. Would you two mind if Bonnie headed to the gym with you?" When Clemont gave him an uneasy look, Meyer clarified. "I think...you three might be safer together there."

Clemont frowned, while Bonnie looked up in surprise as well. "What do you mean? Have you heard something?"

"Professor Sycamore mentioned there have been some...unusual people spotted near the lab and by the the stadium," Meyer said, resting a hand on Bonnie's shoulder to reassure her. "He just wanted me to...make sure none of his equipment was tampered with."

"Do you want us to come with you?" Clemont asked, feeling like there was something his father wasn't telling him.

"No, I want you three safe in that gym," Meyer said. "Use...whatever it is you've set up. Keep Bonnie with you."

Clemont exchanged a nervous glance with Korrina. Clearly they weren't the only ones who expected something was about to happen. "I won't sit back if something is happening, dad." Clemont then said, looking to Meyer. "I'm the Gym Leader of this city."

Meyer nodded, as though he expected that answer. "Then protect that tower, and do what you can to help the others." He looked to Bonnie. "Do as your brother says, Bonnie."

She nodded, although Clemont was doubtful she'd do everything he said. "I'll be careful. And Dedenne's here to help us."

"Nene!"

Meyer grinned at that. "Excellent." With one last look at Clemont and Korrina, he set off, appearing to pull something red from his bag as he rounded a corner, a pokeball in his hand.

Clemont felt his heart racing now, and quickly had Bonnie step in between him and Korrina as they continued heading towards Prism Tower. When they were just reaching the courtyard, that was when they heard the first shouts. He almost wanted to ignore them and keep heading to the gym, and he might've if there wasn't a yell that was much closer.

Then, five figures stepped out in front of Prism Tower.

Tierno and Trevor nearly jumped out of their skins when they heard the first explosion, right out front of the residence buildings. Then, when they were just getting their bearings and realizing what was going on, they heard another one, not too far behind them. As they looked around, they began to hear shouts, and the sounds of Pokemon crying out as fighting began, followed by a few sirens. Instantly, they looked at one another, dread in their eyes as they realized what was going on.

"It's gotta be the hunters," Tierno said, looking around nervously as he saw a few students running. Some seemed to be fleeing, while others seemed to be heading towards the explosions, pokeballs in their hands. "Think they're just attacking here?"

Trevor shook his head, looking as though he was trying to concentrate on something. "No...listen. There's more shouting further away. They must be attacking other places too."

Tierno listened a little more closely, hearing the faint sounds a moment later. He tensed, realizing they seemed to be coming from all directions. How could we have missed this? We knew they were planning something, but they got the jump on us anyway. He gritted his teeth, hating the hunters for their timing. They were taking advantage of the distraction of the Performance Championships.

"Come on, let's go see what's happening out front of the Chesnaught Building. Looks like something's going on there," Tierno then said, pulling out a pokeball, Trevor doing the same next to him.

When they got closer, the students running to and from the scene made much more sense, and Tierno could feel the temptation to be one of those fleeing the scene as he looked upon what was happening. A group of about a dozen hunters appeared to be assaulting the front entrance to the building, their Pokemon sending a barrage of attacks towards the area where five students were doing their best to hold them off. Fortunately, the Chesnaught Building was one of the advanced students buildings, so they were holding off the hunters reasonably well. Tierno could see their Pokemon were tiring, though, and they were definitely heavily outnumbered.

"We have to help them!" Trevor shouted, jumping out of the way as a student ran down the street, apparently fleeing from another attack on one of the other buildings. "All of them..."

"We'll start here," Tierno said, calling out Chimchar, who immediately prepared to fight in front of him. "If we can get some more students to fight with us, we'll stand a better chance. And if they're from the advanced classes, they can help us protect the less experienced students."

Trevor nodded at that, glancing back at the student who had just run off, sympathy in his eyes. Tierno supposed it was probably one of the novices. A moment later, though, Trevor steeled himself, looking ahead to the battle out front of the building and threw his pokeball forward, ready to fight. "Marshtomp, let's go!"

The two of them rushed forward, and as they neared the fight, Tierno got a better look at what was happening. In front of the building, the students guarding the entrance had a Feraligatr, Linoone, Doublade, Ninjask and an Ursaring out. They were certainly strong looking Pokemon, but the numbers that the hunters had were making it an unfair fight. There were five Skorupi and five Poochyena, along with one Drapion and one Mightyena. Tierno noticed that two of the twelve hunters seemed to be taking the lead with the orders, so he assumed they were in control of the two evolved Pokemon. Whatever the case, he was ready to fight them.

"Chimchar, hit 'em with Ember!"

"Marshtomp, Water Gun!"

The hunters were surprised by the sudden attack, almost all of them turning around at Tierno and Trevor calling out their attacks. It was all the more satisfying as Chimchar's Ember attack rained down on a trio of Skorupi, while a couple of Poochyena were knocked down together by Marshtomp's Water Gun. Two of the students guarding the entrance took advantage of the distraction as well, the Ursaring trainer calling for a Hammer Arm, while the Feraligatr trainer ordered a Hydro Pump. Each attack struck another couple of Skorupi and Poochyena each, leaving the Mightyena and the Drapion hesitant while their companions struggled to stand.

"Hey, who do you kids think you are?" one of the hunters yelled at Tierno and Trevor. "We got orders to take over these buildings. Don't mess with us, or you're gonna get hurt!"

"We're students of this school!" Tierno said proudly, spinning and snapping his fingers as he maneuvered his way over to stand with the other students, along with Trevor. "We're not letting you hurt this school without a fight. We've got friends and Pokemon to take care of, and we know what you losers are up to. That beat doesn't match our rhythm!"

Trevor nodded, standing proud next to Tierno. "We've been ready to take you guys down for a long time now, and we're not backing down now. If you want our Pokemon, you'll have to beat us first."

"All of us!" one of the guarding students added, nodding to Tierno and Trevor as he stepped forward, the other joining him.

"If that's the way you want it!" sneered another hunter, this one being one of the ones Tierno assumed was of a higher rank. He nodded to the other one, who grinned. "Mightyena, Dark Pulse!"

"Drapion, Sludge Bomb!"

Tierno was just about to call his counter, when he realized he and his companions weren't the target. He gaped as he watched the Mightyena and Drapion turn towards their pre-evolved forms with no hesitation. Within seconds, the already struggling Poochyena and Skorupi were blown to the sides, completely knocked out. Their trainers stared at their supposed allies, but said nothing as they quickly recalled their Pokemon. A moment later, they all scattered, pulling out more pokeballs as they headed towards the other buildings.

"Weaklings," the Mightyena hunter muttered, glaring at the other hunters. "They won't do much, but as long as they keep your pathetic friends busy while we deal with you, they'll be useful enough."

"Now," the Drapion hunter said, chuckling as he eyed Tierno and the others, "ready to give up, or are you sure you want a beating?"

"We'll see who gets the beating!" Tierno yelled out, stepping forward along with Trevor and the others. "Chimchar, Flame Wheel!"

And with that, the defence of Lumiose University had begun.

Dawn groaned as her eyes slowly began to open. Her head felt like it was ten times heavier than usual, and her mind felt as foggy as the world's biggest Mist attack. The last thing she could remember was walking out the door of the Pokemon Centre to the training field with Shauna, but when she tried to remember anything else, her head just hurt more.

She tried to move her head a bit to figure out what was going on, although it hurt like crazy. It took a few tries, but she was eventually able to open her eyes a bit more and properly look around. If she had the energy, her eyes would've widened twice as much as they were open now.

"Wh...What's...g-going..." She could barely speak, but from the looks of things, she was far better off than the two others with her.

Dawn took a deep breath and tried to focus a bit more, fully taking in what seemed to be the prison she was in. It seemed to be one of the smaller rooms in the Pokemon Centre, and one with no windows. It was dark, so she couldn't quite tell, but she supposed it might've been a supply closet. Cramped in there with her were two shapes. Closest to her she could recognize Marie, and she assumed the third was Shauna, which was confirmed a moment later as she began to groan and stir awake as well.

"D-Dawn...?" Shauna murmured weakly, blinking tiredly as she looked over at her. "What...is...h-happen...ing?"

Dawn took a moment to answer, feeling relieved as Marie seemed to stir awake as well. As her friends tried to recover their senses a bit, she racked her brain to remember what she could. Still unable to think of anything, she looked around the room, realizing that each of them had been tied up. At least, their hands were bound, and there was such little room with the three of them in there that their legs couldn't really move either.

"We...We were taken prisoner...I guess?" She tried to listen for any sounds coming from the other side of the door, but there was nothing other than some muffled voices and the shuffling of feet. There were definitely people out there, but nothing she could recognize.

Shauna looked around with wide eyes. "You don't think it was the hunters, do you?"

Dawn didn't answer, instead trying to see if she could wiggle out of her restraints. She failed, but at least she'd shifted to a more comfortable position. Not that it was an ideal position either, with a box pressed into her back. She was sure Shauna knew as well as she did that it was very likely who they feared that was responsible for their current predicament. There was no point voicing it and agonizing over it anymore. They needed to think of something to do.

Marie apparently had an answer, though. "It was Casey. At least...she's the one who attacked me."

That seemed to snap both Dawn and Shauna out of their remaining grogginess and their gazes locked on Marie. "Casey? Not the Casey from Laverre?" Dawn shook her head, not really able to believe it. Of all the Laverre students besides Anton and Gabby, Casey would've been the one she least suspected. But maybe that's why she was perfect for this.

Marie nodded, rubbing her head, clearly struggling the most to recover from whatever it was that had knocked them all out. "She came by with...her Meditite. She said it was hurt, but it didn't look like it. Then when I was taking her back to check it out, she attacked."

"I guess it makes sense that Raphael would've tried to get one of his students to help him," Shauna pointed out, although she still looked like she was trying to come to terms with the news. "Do you think she's even doing it because she wants to?"

"I can't imagine anyone who knows what Anton and Gabby went through would turn their backs on them like that without being forced," Dawn said, hoping that Casey didn't have that kind of evil in her. Of course, it didn't feel great to think she was being forced into this, either. If she was being forced, Raphael was probably doing something horrible to make her do his bidding. And, whether she was really their enemy or not, Dawn knew they did need to fight back whenever they had their chance.

Shauna and Marie seemed to have the same thought, as the two of them began to position themselves so that they were looking at the door that separated them from what was likely the rest of the Pokemon Centre. "Did you see any sign of anybody else with Casey?" Shauna asked Marie. "It seems like we were knocked out without having any idea what was going on."

Marie shook her head. "It was just her and Meditite." She paused, listening to some footsteps and muffled voices on the other side of the door. "It doesn't make sense that she'd be trusted to attack a Pokemon Centre on her own, though, whether she's fully on their side or not. They must have others here now. It sounds like they have Nurse Joy out there with them...so maybe there's been fighting outside."

Dawn listened a little more closely, realizing that she could just barely recognize Nurse Joy on the other side as well. She didn't sound too happy of course, but it was good to know she wasn't hurt. It was concerning that the hunters had taken over the Pokemon Centre, but it did give her hope if there was some fighting going on. If her friends had even the slightest chance to get to them, they would be on their way in no time. They'll have plenty of enemies to go through, though, Dawn told herself. If only we had our Pokemon to help us get out of here.

"Where do you think they'll have put our Pokemon?" she asked, looking to Marie, assuming she would know the best hiding places in the Pokemon Centre for such things.

"I'm not sure," Maire admitted a moment later, looking guilty. "I might've thought the supply closet, but we seem to be in that." She thought for a moment, frowning as she stared at the door. "Maybe one of the back rooms. Like the one we had Absol in. It'd be tough for people to get there if they were fighting their way inside, and they'll have all the hurt Pokemon in between that people will need to be careful of."

"So when we get out, we'll need to be really careful about how we move," Dawn noted, heart racing at the thought. They were definitely in a tough spot, but if they at least tried to plan something, it was better than sitting there scared. She was sure their friends would be coming as soon as possible, but she had no idea what the situation was like outside. For all she knew, the Pokemon Centre wasn't the only thing taken by the hunters. Perhaps the whole city was held.

"Is Vivillon out there?" Shauna asked Marie, looking surprisingly hopeful.

"I'd put it in one of the rooms to sleep," Marie said, not seeming to think it was particularly important. "It's probably trapped in there."

"Maybe," Shauna said, "but if anyone would've sensed hunters coming in, it would've been Vivillon."

"What about Serena and Gabby's Pokemon?" Dawn asked, worried about Absol and Altaria in particular. They would be prized targets with their Mega Stones, and they'd suffered abuse from the hunters just like Vivillon.

"They'll have been too tired to do anything," Marie admitted, looking upset, before taking a deep breath in an attempt to recover a bit. "But Vivillon...maybe it could've escaped. Casey was definitely more focused on Absol and Altaria."

"I hope it did. It must've seen-"

Dawn stopped talking immediately as the door began to open, squinting as the lights from the Pokemon Centre filled the closet they were in. It took her a moment to adjust, before she looked at the figure in the doorway. It was Casey, eyeing the three captives carefully, before glancing back at someone behind her, who murmured something before she looked back inside, gesturing for Dawn and the others to get up. Dawn was glad to see Casey didn't look too pleased about what she was doing, but it didn't make her feel any less angry as she stared at her. I guess I still have a chance to settle the score we have from the IPL.

"Let 'em out," a hunter called out from behind Casey. "We've gotta question them to see if they've got any useful information we can give the boss. But first, let 'em see the cost of not telling us." He said the last part with a laugh, and as Dawn and the others shuffled out of the supply closet and into one of the treatment rooms, she noticed why he was so confident, her eyes quickly looking up at the television screen on the wall.

"Got control of the Lumiose City airwaves," another hunter said, chuckling. "Now the boss can send his message. Just hope your fellow students know what's best for them."

Dawn exchanged an uneasy glance with her friends, before shooting a glare at Casey and then looking to the screen. What she saw instantly made her feel cold. It seemed the hunters with Casey were telling the truth. Somehow, Raphael had control of the airwaves, and his image was on the screen. It didn't seem as though he was in the city himself, with the forest in the background, but his presence was felt nonetheless as he smirked into the camera.

"People of Lumiose City, and students and trainers from elsewhere in Kalos who are competing in the Interschool Pokemon League Playoff tournament," the leader of the hunters said, his voice like ice as he spoke. "My name is Raphael, and I am the leader of the fine people visiting you this evening. I humbly ask that you welcome them into the city with open arms. If you do not, I believe things will be most unpleasant."

With that, the screen showed an image of a large group of hunters heading into the city, near Prism Tower. It was a chilling enough sight to see as they marched in, releasing their menacing Pokemon alongside them, but the screen changed a few times, showing more hunters entering at the other roads into the city. Dawn was a little surprised at how easy it seemed for them, but Raphael and his hunters clarified that a moment later, the screen also flashing to a large group of police officers, Officer Jenny among them, held somewhere in the forest, all unconscious and tied up. Another image showed police cars, along with regular cars from other people who had likely been travelling, piled up near a vicious looking Steelix. It seemed the hunters had made sure to take over all entrances, and exits, to the city. It would be difficult to get aid from other cities, or flee if the opportunity came.

"As you can see," Raphael said, the screen showing him again, his smirk somehow bigger and more obnoxious, "my friends and I are intent on privacy with this little visit of ours. There's no need to involve the neighbouring cities or Officer Jenny and her fellow officers. We can...negotiate without any interference this way."

"If you think this will make people scared, you've got no idea who you're dealing with," Marie snapped at one of the hunters in the room. Dawn realized there were four just in this small room. She expected there were probably more throughout the Pokemon Centre, and even more guarding it outside. How many enemies are we dealing with? she thought nervously.

"We know exactly who we're dealing with, kid," the hunter said, chuckling as he waved dismissively at her. "Lots of kids ran like babies on our way here, and this one had you three and Nurse Joy knocked out before we could make you cry like them." He glanced at Casey, who stared at the ground in shame. "The boss was right about you. Might not really be one of us, but you're an effective one to do the job, that's for sure."

Dawn wanted to say something in response, but her attention was brought back to the screen as Raphael continued his ominous speech. "Currently, my friends are in the process of visiting your most notable places of business, where those who may wish to oppose us, and/or those who hold...products we may find desirable will be located." At that, an image of the Pokemon Centre was shown, followed by the stadium, performing theatre, residence buildings, Professor Sycamore's lab and Prism Tower. Dawn tensed at the last two, seeing Professor Sycamore and the visiting Alolan staff in the middle of a fight and guessing that Clemont was in a rough situation as well if he was near his gym. She just hoped Ash, Serena, Trevor and Tierno weren't in danger at the residence buildings.

"Looks like we were worried about nothing," the hunter who had taunted Casey muttered, chuckling as he watched. "We'd thought you trainers would put up a bit of a fight. Looks like those kids are running or beaten already."

Unfortunately, he didn't seem to be wrong. A lot of the images Dawn was seeing seemed to show people running from the groups of hunters. She even saw a couple of terrifying scenes of knocked out or scared and helpless trainers unable to fight back as hunters took their Pokemon. If they didn't start fighting back now, there would be no way to defeat the hunters. Professor Sycamore's lab seemed to be holding up the best, and even that image didn't look to be too good.

"All we ask," Raphael continued, smiling as though he were a waiter at a restaurant offering a nice meal, "is that you cooperate. Things will go much easier for you if you do not resist."

With that, the message cut off, the screen going blank.

Dawn felt numb as she looked to her friends. They had to fight back. They had to escape. But they were outnumbered, without Pokemon and without their friends. If their friends weren't captured as well, they were likely fighting with everything they had, and quickly being surrounded and potential allies were already losing or just fleeing in fear.

"No need to worry," Dawn whispered to herself, shakily dropping to her knees. Of course, she knew very well that right now, there was definitely a need to worry.

Author's Note:

And so...the hunters have attacked, and they've come with force and numbers and some evil planning. I don't know how menacing they come across, but I suppose it's a bit more difficult to make it as meaningful with nameless hunters to begin with. The number of attackers is a bit of a sub for that currently. We do have a couple of previously mentioned hunters coming in eventually, though, for some big fighting.

I think this might be the most awkward of the hunter battle chapters, so apologies for that. With everyone split up and needing to be in their specific spots it makes for a bit of a repetitive start, but hopefully it'll get more interesting as it goes and they need to take on their different tasks. I guess we'll see.

As for Serena's once again near confession, I know it might seem a bit too much like the previous chapter's, but I feel it was a little closer to actually happening this time. And who knows...something might happen soon...

Anyway, hope you enjoyed, and I'll see you in the next one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 139 26
Ancienverse Final Book. After an unprecedented era of peace in the world, a new menace arrives, threatening the balance once more. With the world on...
2.2K 141 16
Nineteen years old Ash Ketchum chasing his dream to be a pokemon master and 18 year old Serena Yvonne is dreaming to be Kalos queen and she is too cl...
29.7K 455 14
Ash and Pikachu are on the way to the Kalos Region to visit their friends Bonnie and Clemont in Lumiose City. When they arrive, little do they know t...
5.3K 156 25
This is basically a prestigious university in Kanto reigion, called Kanto university as expected, which two teenagers, Ash Ketchum and Serena Yvonne...