Lumiose University - A Degree...

By AmourshippingDude

Ash, Serena, Clemont and Dawn have all worked hard at accomplishing their dreams, but each feel they need to... More

Chapter 1: What Next?
Chapter 2: Home
Chapter 3: A Lot to Learn
Chapter 4: An Old Rivalry
Chapter 5: A Challenging Gym Battle
Chapter 6: A Test on Day One
Chapter 7: The Tests Continue
Chapter 8: Sparking an Education
Chapter 9: Moving In
Chapter 10: Get Your Ash to Class
Chapter 11: Double Trouble
Chapter 12: Trainers to Fight and Battles to Win
Chapter 13: New Friends
Chapter 14: Tryouts
Chapter 15: The Lumiose Luxrays
Chapter 16: Friendship, Trust and Inspiration
Chapter 17: Eggcellent
Chapter 18: Something More
Chapter 19: The Arrivals of New Rivals
Chapter 20: The IPL Begins!
Chapter 21: A Need to Worry
Chapter 22: Anton's Secret
Chapter 23: Much Much Stronger
Chapter 24: A Test For Absol
Chapter 25: Get Off Your Grass!
Chapter 26: Eggspectations
Chapter 27: Road Trip
Chapter 28: Clemontic Geared Up
Chapter 29: Serena's Confession
Chapter 30: Hawlucha's Little Brother
Chapter 31: Absol-ute Recovery
Chapter 32: A Joy-ful and Marie Day
Chapter 33: A Mega Test
Chapter 34: Sycamore's Mega Tournament - Part 1
Chapter 35: Sycamore's Mega Tournament - Part 2
Chapter 36: Sycamore's Mega Tournament - Part 3
Chapter 37: Eggsams
Chapter 38: A Proposal
Chapter 39: The Luxray Storm
Chapter 40: Anton's Challenge
Chapter 41: The Coumarine Dance
Chapter 42: Gotta Pass 'Em All
Chapter 43: Sam Oak and Sam Oak
Chapter 44: The Absol-ute Best
Chapter 45: Alola!
Chapter 46: Back to School
Chapter 47: Performing With a Watery Charm
Chapter 48: Welcome Back! Ash vs Agatha
Chapter 49: Clemont's First Date
Chapter 50: The Race is On
Chapter 51: Old Man Bugs
Chapter 52: A Mega Project
Chapter 53: The Enemy
Chapter 54: A Memory
Chapter 55: The Battle Maison
Chapter 56: Abe and Absol
Chapter 57: A Mega Dream
Chapter 58: Shalour Showdown
Chapter 59: Laverre University
Chapter 60: A Team With a Dream
Chapter 61: A Tight Finish
Chapter 62: Ninja-lola
Chapter 63: A Lesson in Z-Moves
Chapter 64: The IPL Playoffs!
Chapter 65: Playoff Performers
Chapter 67: An Electrifying Semifinal
Chapter 68: The Power of Dreaming
Chapter 69: The Attack
Chapter 70: The Future is Now
Chapter 71: Class Action
Chapter 72: Righting a Wrong
Chapter 73: All Our Power
Chapter 74: Never Giving Up
Chapter 75: The IPL Finals!
Chapter 76: Z-Bond Shuriken
Chapter 77: And To Our Own Way

Chapter 66: A Sense of Danger

413 14 4
By AmourshippingDude

Author's Note:

Hello all, we're back with more LU, and today, the battles begin! Lots to get to so hope you enjoy!

Chapter 66: A Sense of Danger

"Rockruff, use Bite! Riolu, block with Metal Claw and then follow it up with Focus Blast!"

Clemont and Korrina couldn't help but laugh at the intensity of the training session before them as they watched Ash putting Rockruff and Riolu through their paces. They'd been going at it for awhile now, and neither seemed to be giving an inch. It was hard to believe that Riolu was still so young, and that Rockruff had joined Ash only after his trip to Alola. Korrina certainly seemed to think Riolu in particular was impressive, she and her Lucario begging for a battle with it once the playoffs were concluded.

"Rrruff!" Rockruff barked out as he charged towards the Emanation Pokemon, Clemont bringing his attention back to the battle. The Puppy Pokemon was quick to reach him, but Riolu already had a glowing fist out in front, blocking with Metal Claw right away as Rockruff latched his jaws onto it. For a moment, Clemont did think Rockruff would be able to shake Riolu off his feet, but a moment later, the fighting type seemed to take control.

"Ru!" Riolu grunted as he shoved forward, causing Rockruff to stumble back from the force, before letting go of the Emanation Pokemon's fist. "RuuuRU!"

Clemont was sure Korrina tensed up next to him, as though surprised by something, her Lucario also seeming to notice something as it grunted. However, Clemont wasn't sure what it was, as Riolu suddenly formed the orb of Focus Blast and thrust his arms forward to unleash it. It missed, as it usually did, heading straight for Pikachu, who was watching alongside Hawlucha.

"Lucha!" the Wrestling Pokemon cried out, darting forward and slashing down on the Focus Blast with a Karate Chop, causing it to explode between Rockruff and Riolu and send them both skidding backwards.

"Aw man, it looked super close that time!" Ash called out a moment later, once the dust settled on the training field they were using just outside the Pokemon Centre. "I thought it was going to work. Good save, though, Hawlucha!"

"Lucha!" Hawlucha nodded in acknowledgment, before posing briefly. He stopped a moment later, though, appearing to notice Riolu looking a little down. "Lucha hawlucha!" He hopped over to the Emanation Pokemon, patting him on the back as Ash, Pikachu and Rockruff approached as well.

"Don't worry, Riolu," Ash said encouragingly as he knelt down next to his young fighting type. "You looked super strong! That was awesome how you blocked Rockruff's Bite, and your speed is getting even better than before. You could match Pikachu someday!"

"Ruff!"

"Pika!"

Clemont smiled as he noticed Riolu looking like he felt a bit better, joining Hawlucha in showing off his muscles with a quick flex. He glanced to his side to ask Korrina if her Lucario had ever struggled with a move like that before, but noticed she was frowning, apparently still thinking of whatever she had noticed during the brief battle. "Something wrong?" he asked, seeing her exchange a look with Lucario before turning to him in surprise.

"Uh...no. It's nothing." She shook her head, as though trying to forget whatever thought was on her mind and then turned to Ash and his Pokemon. "That Riolu of yours really is awesome, Ash! I bet he'll be a really tough Lucario one day!"

Ash grinned at that, Riolu looking up at him in equal excitement. "That'd be so cool, wouldn't it Riolu?!"

"Ruru!" Riolu punched the air in triumph, his little fist a few inches away from Pikachu, who's cheeks sparked as it went up.

"Pika?"

"What is it, Pikachu?" Ash asked, although he seemed to have noticed something as well, his eyes shifting back to Riolu a moment. "Something about...Riolu?"

Clemont frowned, exchanging a confused look with Hawlucha and Rockruff, who seemed to be the only two there that were confused by whatever it was everyone else was noticing. "What is it?" he decided to ask, hoping Ash would have a better answer than Korrina. "You guys seem to be noticing something I'm not."

"Huh?" Ash blinked in confusion, looking over to Clemont, before chuckling nervously and rubbing his neck in embarrassment. "Uh...I don't really know. I just have a feeling Riolu's getting way stronger!"

"Are you going to use him in your match today?" Korrina asked excitedly, holding up her fists and shaking almost as though she was going to be battling herself.

Ash seemed to think for a moment, eyes drifting down to Riolu, who looked up hopefully. Clemont knew immediately what Ash's answer would be, and he grinned before the words were out of his mouth. "Sounds like a good idea. What do you think, Riolu?"

"Ruru!"

"Ah, so you're going to use Riolu today, huh?"

They all looked up as Flint walked through the doors of the Pokemon Centre, Trevor joining them as they approached the training field. "I've been wondering when you'd be giving him a shot."

"He's looking pretty strong," Ash told Flint confidently, Hawlucha voicing his agreement and nodding sagely next to Riolu, who looked pleased by the praise. "I know it's tough competition here, but he can handle it!"

Trevor bent down a bit and looked curiously at Riolu, fidgeting with his camera as though he was resisting the temptation to take a picture of it. "Think it's about to evolve?"

"Riolu needs to be very close with it's trainer to evolve," Korrina pointed out. "It can take a really long time to get to that point." She laughed as she added, "Even if it's Ash we're talking about."

Flint looked curiously at Riolu as well, though, seeming to think something was up as he studied it a moment. "Might be about to learn a new move. Anything weird happen in your training?"

Ash shrugged as Pikachu tilted his head, leaning forward and sniffing Riolu briefly, his cheeks sparking once more. Clemont was sure the electric mouse was sensing something, and if it was a new move, it was probably quite strong. He smirked as he pulled out a device from his backpack.

"I thought we'd encounter a situation precisely like-"

"Guys!"

The doors of the Pokemon Centre opened once again, and this time, it was Tierno emerging, panting as he stopped in front of the group outside. He seemed oddly upset, and Clemont immediately stuffed his device back in his backpack, exchanging a curious glance with Korrina before they turned their attention to him. Flint seemed on edge as well, apparently sensing Tierno's uneasiness.

"What is it, Tierno?" Trevor asked, patting Tierno on the back as he stood up, taking one last deep breath.

"It's the hunters!" he gasped out, eyes wide with shock. "Raphael's gone!"

Meowth didn't always admit it, but he did appreciate his time with Jessie, James and Wobbuffet. Sure, they struggled often enough, and they argued and did all kinds of things to one another that most wouldn't do to friends or family. But they were just that...family, and he'd truly missed them during his time imprisoned by the hunters.

When they'd brought him back to the Wetlands, the twerp's Goodra and the Wooper and Swanna accompanying them, he'd been pretty surprised. Considering what had happened previously with them stealing the water supply, Meowth had been very hesitant to approach too close when he was just with Wobbuffet and Skiddo, but apparently Jessie and James had somehow managed to make a temporary peace with the warden, Keanan, and the Pokemon.

"I can't believe you guys have been trainin' dem Wetlands Pokemon," Meowth said, as he and the others, Skiddo among them, headed into Keanan's house. They'd been doing a quick patrol of the area to make sure no hunter activity was going on. After recovering in Keanan's house for a few days, still bruised up by the hunters, Meowth had been eager to go on a few patrols, joining his friends as soon as Keanan had decided he was healthy enough.

"We had to come up with something," Jessie said, looking nervously outside at where a police car was parked. Officer Jenny appeared to be visiting after the investigation they'd run into the hideout. Keanan had immediately wanted to report it once Meowth had arrived with the information about it.

"If we'd figured out where you were, we would've had an army to get you out," James added, although he looked embarrassed about the idea, knowing it wouldn't have been likely. Meowth appreciated the thought nonetheless.

"Not that knowing where you were would've helped apparently," Jessie muttered as they glanced into the living room, where Officer Jenny was talking to Keanan. "They still don't seem to have found anything in that cliff."

"They must've built it deep inside," Meowth suggested, although he really had no idea. Considering the fall he and the others had, he couldn't really know. The hunters definitely had a base up there, but the entrance was clearly hidden very well by the rocks.

Officer Jenny and Keanan seemed to have noticed them standing there, and the latter waved them over. Neither side seemed happy to see the other, but Meowth knew there was nothing Officer Jenny could get Team Rocket in trouble for right now, and Keanan seemed in support of the training the Wetlands Pokemon were getting. And we need to know what Officer Jenny found out so we can bust our Pokemon out, Meowth realized as they sat down around the table.

"Well, we were just discussing this hideout you've been describing to us, Meowth," Jenny murmured, pulling out a notebook and looking at it briefly. "We may have found some kind of tunnel that could be what you fell out of. There hasn't been any clear sign of an entrance yet, but this is a sign something is there. Considering the hunters that were left at the police station a couple days ago, what you've told me and what we've discovered, we might be able to go after this Raphael. As long as we can get some kind of sign of this base being more than just this tunnel."

"You've gotta be sure you're gettin' him," Meowth told her seriously, remembering Raphael's plans to attack the IPL Playoffs. "He's got somethin' planned against those schools. Den who knows what he'll do if he's got our Pokemon with him."

"I've contacted the police in Lumiose City," Jenny said calmly, looking to Keanan, who leaned forward, almost looking amused.

"We've contacted Professor Sycamore as well, who will be informing Champion Diantha and the other top officials there. It sounds as though Ash and his friends have been suspicious of Raphael for awhile as well, but haven't had the information necessary to come forward without giving him time to get away." He looked uneasy as he said that, and Meowth realized that he was likely nervous that Raphael had been given that chance with the current police investigation.

"The Laverre City Gym Leader contacted us as well shortly after," Jenny added, sighing as she put her notebook away. "She's expressed some concern about Raphael in the past, but without evidence, she's had to be careful. She believes she's heard him on the phone discussing hunter operations. It all seems to be adding up...I just hope we aren't too late."

"Well you'd better stop him!" Jessie snapped, looking furious. "If he gets away, he'll get away with our Pokemon!"

"The boss- er, I mean...we just got some of our Pokemon back," James murmured sadly. "I don't want to lose them again."

For the first time, Jenny and Keanan gave them sympathetic looks, and Meowth felt a bit embarrassed about how soft they seemed to be coming off. We're gonna steal Pikachu when this is over, he thought, glaring at the ground a moment, before looking up as Keanan spoke again.

"Raphael could've gotten away with much more if he'd been hauled off with no evidence and been allowed to get away on empty charges. These kinds of things need to be thorough. We don't know how powerful he might be." He looked out his window, watching as the twerp's Goodra was leading a drill with some of the Wooper that Jessie usually trained. "There is a proposal I'd like to suggest, however."

This seemed to surprise Officer Jenny, but Jessie didn't seem to care if it was police-approved or not and immediately leaned forward, eyes shining with interest. "What's the plan? We blow up their base? We can get a hot air balloon up there in no time at all!"

"Der's gotta be some way we can get in der," Meowth agreed, unsheathing his claws as he nodded in agreement to what Jessie said.

Keanan looked a little uneasy as he glanced at Officer Jenny, but then shook his head, smiling a little at Jessie's and Meowth's response. "I think we should go to Lumiose City. They may need the reinforcements."

Ash frowned as he stared at the monitor in the Battle Team's waiting room, watching as President Goodshow and Robby Cole discussed the upcoming matches for the opening of the battling rounds. He could see just a hint of unease on each of their faces, clearly aware of the Raphael situation, but both were doing a fairly good job of keeping focused on the topic of battles. With the host team about to take on Cyllage College's team, who were coached by Cyllage City's Gym Leader, it was definitely drawing a lot of interest.

"All right guys," Flint said, glancing up at the screen as well, appearing somewhat distracted by the news received earlier as well, "I know it's a bit of a weird way to start, but there's not really a lot we can do right now. We've just gotta trust Officer Jenny to track Raphael down, and then we'll need to be ready if he tries anything."

"It's possible whatever plans he may have had are over now," Professor Sycamore, who was joining them briefly after getting an update from Diantha about Raphael. "With an investigation into his hideout, he could be fleeing, in which case it's out of our hands."

"So the playoffs go on," Agatha added, looking seriously to Ash and his teammates. "You kids have worked hard to get here, so we won't let that fool ruin it for you. If anything, you can prove you're ready for whatever he might try by winning this whole thing. He won't want to mess with us once we show how strong we are!"

Ash grinned at that, exchanging a smile with Pikachu at Agatha's words. He stood up, looking to Clemont and Trevor. "Agatha's right! Maybe Raphael's out of here like Professor Sycamore says, but if he's not, let's show him what Lumiose University's all about. We're not going to lose, whether it's the playoffs or in a fight against him!"

"He's probably scared off because of how many tough trainers have shown up anyway," Trevor said, sounding like he was trying to convince himself, but smiling confidently nonetheless.

"He will need to be more careful if attention is on his base now," Clemont pointed out, looking thoughtful as he stared at the Luxray model in the room they were in. Ash had been thoroughly impressed with the robotic models set up at the arena and the theatre. Clemont had really gone all out in designing them. "If he was planning on doing anything here, he'll probably be watching and waiting for a better opportunity."

"Well if he's watching, we'll show him what he's up against!" Ash said confidently, holding a fist up as Pikachu did the same from his shoulder. "We'll just keep getting stronger as we go along. Just like always!"

"That's the spirit!" Agatha said, nodding in approval. "Now let's go out there and win that first match!"

Her call seemed to be timed with Robby Cole's, as just in that moment, they heard the announcer excitedly calling out to the crowd, his voice heard through the TV in their waiting room, and down the hallway and from the stadium. "All right, ladies and gentlemen, the time is finally here! Are you ready Pokemon fans, from Lumiose, Kalos and the Pokemon world?! It's time to finally kick off the IPL Playoffs Battle Conference, with the first match being the Cyllage College Tyrunts against the host Lumiose University Luxrays!"

Ash grinned as he and his team began to head down the hallway, the crowd getting louder and louder as they approached. They paused as they reached the edge, waiting to be officially announced. Ash felt his heart racing with excitement as he looked out towards the platforms where the trainers would stand, each looking over an empty pit where the battlefield would be raised up. It was just like it was back during the Kalos League, with the only exception being a balcony set up behind the trainer's platform where the coaches and the other trainers on the team would be watching from.

This time, I'm leaving this arena a victor, Ash thought as he glanced up, seeing the packed stands with the cheering crowds. And even better, it'll be with all my friends!

His thoughts were interrupted a moment later, however, as Robby continued on with the introductions, the crowd finally quieting down. "It's been a long season for these two teams, folks," he called out, the crowd going silent as he warmed up. "Cyllage College has shown the sturdiness of a city with a master rock type Gym Leader, while Lumiose University has electrified us all with their stunning comeback to make it here. One could've looked at these two teams right at the beginning and thought of them as contenders to win it all, but now, they meet for round one! So, without further ado, let's welcome them!"

"Heads up, and backs straight!" Agatha quickly whispered, Flint chuckling in response to her words, but following her orders as well. "Let's show them we're ready."

"Please welcome, from Cyllage College, captain Sophie, and her teammates Macy and Jonas!" Robby's call was followed by a cheer, and then the forms of three people emerging from the opposite end of the stadium. Ash could see the two girls that had shown a touch of hostility at the opening ceremonies, while the third member of the team, Jonas, looked to be somewhat sullen, obviously just wanting to get to the battling. Sophie, the captain, looked quite confident as she marched to the end of the platform, her teammates behind her. She seemed to have her eyes focused on the Lumiose Team.

"Remember what Marie found out about them," Trevor whispered, while Robby introduced the coaches for Cyllage's team, including Grant, who received a loud cheer. "They all use rock types, just like Grant. And Sophie's apparently got a super strong-"

He was interrupted as Robby's call blared out through the stadium once more, and all attention turned to their side of the arena. "And now, from the hosting Lumiose University, please welcome captain Ash, along with his powerful teammates, Clemont and Trevor!" Ash almost winced at the loud roar from the crowd, and he gave Pikachu a sympathetic look as he led the team out towards the platform, seeing his partner Pokemon looking a little surprised by the sudden noise. It seemed as though they'd somehow expanded the seating since the Kalos League, and the crowd was even bigger. As Ash and the others reached the end of the platform, he was quickly getting used to the noise, and becoming more psyched to battle in the exciting environment.

As Robby introduced Flint and Agatha, Ash looked across to the opposing team, seeing the narrowed eyes of the three trainers opposite him. They certainly seemed confident, and ready to battle, and Ash knew that with the rules now requiring each trainer to be defeated for the other team to be declared victorious, it could turn out to be a long, hard battle. He wanted it to be tough, though. Showing their strength to Raphael aside, there was no point going through a tournament if it wasn't against super strong opponents.

"Now," Robby then called, getting the two teams to look up as they focused on what he was saying, "it's time for the battlefield to be revealed. Remember, just like with the Kalos League, these battlefields will be fully formed environments! A strong use of the field can be a key difference maker for a strategic trainer!" Ash narrowed his eyes, seeing Sophie smirk at that. Clearly she wasn't new to using the field. He supposed Grant was pretty good at teaching some ideas with that.

"Whatever the field is," Ash said, turning to Clemont and Trevor, "we can use it. We've just gotta think quick. There's always something, even if we can't see it right away."

As they nodded, he looked down, hearing Robby continuing while something began to emerge from the darkness below. "And the battlefield for this first battle will be...a grass and forest field! These trainers will need to find a way to make use of the open space when they can, while avoiding damage with those trees for cover. I'm sure we'll see some interesting strategies in this one!"

Ash heard Trevor sighing in relief as the field was revealed. Ash couldn't blame him, though, knowing he was likely thinking the same as him before it had come up. A rock type field would've been tough to handle with rock type trainers who were used to training in that kind of environment. Of course...it didn't seem to bother the opposing team too much that it was a forest and grass field. In fact, they were grinning as they looked at it, even the sullen looking trainer, Jonas.

"Now, will each team please select their first battler! Based on a coin toss earlier, Lumiose must choose first!" Robby called out, the crowd murmuring excitedly, sensing the imminent battle. "And then...we can begin!"

At that, Ash turned to Clemont and Trevor. It wasn't a big deal that they had to choose their trainer first. Substitutions would be allowed during the battle. Of course, it would reveal their Pokemon if they did use that option, and Ash did have a feeling Cyllage could make use of that. Although, if it helped them gain an edge early, it might be worth it. They needed to start strong if they were going to send a message, but they also needed to be ready in case of something unexpected.

"I'll go first," Trevor suddenly offered, looking nervous, but a knowing look coming to his eyes as he glanced at the other team. "I'm the only one of us who has an experienced rock type with them, remember. If I use Aerodactyl, he can match rock attacks with rock attacks, and use the air to his advantage. I can force them to play our game if we play it right, and then we can adjust from there."

"Wouldn't it be better to use Marshtomp?" Clemont asked, looking a little hesitant about the idea. "A water and ground type could keep them on the defensive."

"They'll be expecting that," Ash pointed out, sure that Grant wouldn't let his team ignore the possibility of water types being used against them. "But Aerodactyl's also part flying type, Trevor. He could be vulnerable to rock attacks, too. What is it you plan to do?"

Trevor grinned, holding up a pokeball as he did so. "Aerodactyl's not like a lot of other rock types. He's quick, but he's still got the force a lot of rock types have. I'm sure they'll have a strategy to adjust to the speed disadvantage, so if I can use Aerodactyl's speed and power and force them to react, we might have an edge. I just need one of you to be ready when needed."

Ash looked to Clemont, who seemed surprised, but adjusted his glasses a moment later and nodded, smiling. "It sounds like you've thought this through. I support it."

Ash nodded, holding a fist out to Trevor. "Go out and win then, Trevor! We're counting on you!"

"I won't let you down!"

With that, he gave Ash a fist bump, and took his place on the platform, while Ash and Clemont headed over to the balcony where Agatha and Flint were. As they took their place, Ash realized Cyllage had sent out Jonas in response to Trevor. He was interested to see why, and leaned forward excitedly as the referee emerged at the edge of the field, riding on top of an Aegislash, apparently in order to swoop around the field for a better view. A moment later, he announced the rules.

"This will be a three on three battle between Cyllage College and Lumiose University! Each team member for each team is allowed the use of one Pokemon. When all three Pokemon on one team are unable to battle, the other team will be declared the winner." As Trevor and Jonas nodded in response, the referee waved an arm to Trevor. "Lumiose will select the first Pokemon!"

"Go get 'em Trevor!" Ash called out, hearing the cries of their friends in the stands somewhere above him.

Trevor looked back, nodding gratefully, before turning and facing the field. "Aerodactyl, let's win this!" he shouted, throwing his pokeball forward. A moment later, it flashed brightly as it opened, Aerodactyl emerging and roaring loudly to a cheer from the crowd.

"An interesting first choice for Trevor and Lumiose University!" Robby called out, the crowd murmuring as he spoke. "Perhaps Trevor is hoping to use the skies to his advantage, while also having the ability to use powerful rock type attacks."

"Pretty good choice," Jonas then called out from the opposite end of the field. "But it won't matter against this. Carbink, let's go!"

Ash's eyes widened with interest as the conical shaped rock and fairy type Pokemon emerged, the crystals in its body shining in the sunlight. "A Carbink, huh? Think Trevor can handle it?" Ash asked, noticing Clemont looking troubled.

"I don't know," he murmured, looking thoughtful. "They aren't known for speed, so Aerodactyl should have the edge there, but rock types generally don't rely on speed. I'm sure they've got some tricks up their sleeve like Trevor was expecting."

Ash nodded, looking back out as Robby's voice blared out once more. "Oh baby! It's finally time to get this thing started. The IPL Playoffs Battle Conference is truly beginning now, folks! Let the first battle...begin!"

And with that, the battle was on.

Serena felt the air almost buzzing with excitement as Trevor called out his first attack, the crowd ecstatic that the battle was finally beginning. She couldn't blame them, she and her friends equally excited as they cheered for their team below. They'd been surprised to see Trevor head out first, but he clearly seemed to have a plan, especially with what they'd been told about Cyllage College's use of rock types.

"Aerodactyl, hit Carbink with Ancient Power!" Trevor's shout was loud and clear, and his Aerodactyl responded in kind, its menacing roar bringing gasps from people all around the stadium.

"And Trevor is the first to make a move!" Robby Cole called out, his excitement coming through his call as Aerodactyl swooped down closer to Carbink, who remained still among the trees, its trainer yet to call a move. "Let's see if he can win this matchup of rock types!"

Serena watched closely as stones began to burst from the ground, swirling around Aerodactyl as a blue aura began to surround them. She'd only seen Trevor use this move once, and it had nearly won him the match against Sasha in their opening meeting with Laverre University. If he was using it to open the match, Serena was sure Trevor wanted to make an impact right away.

"Aerooo!" Aerodactyl then screeched, the stones picking up speed as they swirled around him. A moment later, they burst forward, heading towards Carbink like a barrage of rocky bullets.

"Carbink, Protect."

The simple call was barely heard, but Serena could see the turquoise barrier shoot up in front of Carbink just as the stones of Ancient Power were about to strike. The Lumiose fans in the stands groaned in disappointment as the attack was deflected off the barrier, doing no damage while Aerodactyl flapped his wings in frustration from above. Serena was sure Trevor would have more to do than that, however.

"Protect is less likely to work the more times its used in succession," Korrina murmured from where she was sitting next to Serena. "This is Trevor's chance!"

Trevor seemed to think so as well, apparently deciding it was an opportunity to take the fight in close if Carbink wouldn't be able to defend the same way. "Go, use Giga Impact!"

Serena grinned, knowing the power a Giga Impact could use. With how useful Absol's seemed to be, she was sure Aerodactyl could pull off a big attack. "If Carbink can't defend this, it's going to be a good early hit for Trevor," she noted excitedly, leaning forward as Aerodactyl screeched, his body being surrounded in an orange and yellow light.

"Aerooo!"

Once more, Aerodactyl burst forward, and this time, Jonas seemed resigned to the attack, watching as the Fossil Pokemon rushed towards Carbink. The rock and fairy type didn't seem to consider moving, either, likely too slow to match the speed of the incoming Aerodactyl. Before Robby could even finish announcing the move, Aerodactyl was striking Carbink head on, driving the Pokemon back and causing it to grind into the grassy ground and leaving a long line of turned up dirt.

"Yeah! Way to go Trevs!" Tierno cheered loudly, much of the crowd joining in as Aerodactyl turned back, panting as he tried to recover from his use of Giga Impact.

Serena's eyes widened, and as she turned to look at Korrina, she could see she wasn't alone in her worry. With Giga Impact leaving the user vulnerable after its use, it was the perfect moment to use a counterattack. And, as Serena looked back to the field, she saw Jonas apparently thinking the same thing.

"Now Carbink, take control with Trick Room!" he yelled, the crowd gasping from the order.

"Oh no!" Shauna whispered, knowing full well how Trick Room would change things. Carbink's disadvantage had just become its advantage.

"Amazing move by Jonas and Carbink!" Robby called out as the translucent pink room enveloped the field. "While Aerodactyl was forced to recover from his powerful Giga Impact attack, it was the perfect moment to take advantage. Now, Trevor will have to be careful of what kind of speed boost Carbink will get!"

"We can handle it, Aerodactyl!" Trevor called out, sounding surprisingly confident, although Serena could see his eyes darting around, looking for some kind of weakness. "Aim at the field and use Flamethrower!"

"Aerooo!" Aerodactyl responded, nodding and opening his jaws as he flapped his wings.

"Not so fast!" Jonas countered, grinning as he made his order. "Moonblast!"

"Carrr!" Carbink then cried out suddenly, its body shining in a bright pink light, before suddenly a pink orb burst forward. It shone brightly in front of a stunned Aerodactyl for a moment, the flames just forming in his jaws, before exploding with a bright beam of pink light striking the Fossil Pokemon head on.

"Aerooo!" Aerodactyl cried, the flames in his mouth sputtering out as he fell to the ground.

Serena could see Trevor looking worried now, but she silently urged him on. He couldn't let Jonas keep the momentum up. If Carbink had the speed advantage now, he and Aerodactyl would have to find a way to attack differently.

"Hang in there, Trevor!" Ash's voice then rang out, Trevor glancing back to where the raven-haired trainer stood with Clemont and the coaches. "Trick room is tough, but we can still beat it. We just need to find a way to use it ourselves!"

"What does he mean?" Serena asked, looking to Shauna, wondering if she knew based on her Gothita's Trick Room.

Korrina was the one who answered, however. "Trick Room is still a move," she said, narrowing her eyes as she watched the field. It seemed Jonas was waiting for Trevor to call an attack, clearly wanting Carbink to outmaneuver him with whatever he used. "It's strong, but it's got the weaknesses of a psychic type move as well."

"So if Trevor could use a dark, bug or ghost type move..." Tierno pointed out, sounding hopeful. "But Aerodactyl doesn't know any."

"Aerodactyl, return!"

Serena frowned as the red beam shot out from Trevor's pokeball, recalling Aerodactyl to his pokeball. A moment later, the crowd began murmuring in confusion as Trevor turned back to where Ash and Clemont were, looking a little disappointed, but seeming to wave to Clemont. "I think we need a bit more speed!"

With that, Clemont began to head out to the platform, high fiving Trevor as they passed one another, while Robby informed the crowd of what was happening. "It appears we have a substitution, folks! Trevor and Aerodactyl will take a break, while Clemont will take over for Lumiose in this fight. Let's see what the Lumiose Gym Leader has planned!"

"Go Clemont! Kick his butt!" Bonnie then yelled, getting some laughs from those around them.

Serena was curious to see what Clemont would do, and leaned forward excitedly as he called out his Pokemon. It wasn't what she expected, as Grotle emerged from his pokeball, staring up curiously as the translucent pink light of Trick Room seemed to flash in around them with the new Pokemon inside it.

"What's he planning?" she asked, turning to the others. "Didn't they want...oh wait! Grotle might have the advantage!"

As the referee called for the battle to resume, Serena could see that was the plan, as Clemont immediately called for the first attack. "Grotle, use Leech Seed!"

"Counter with- agh!"

The Lumiose crowd roared in approval as the match seemed to turn in their favour once more, Carbink starting to shift with Jonas beginning his command, but unable to move much before the seed was fired out from Grotle. It struck the Jewel Pokemon right in the centre, before exploding in vines all around it. A moment later, it seemed to envelop Carbink in a green glow as well, while Grotle straightened up, quickly beginning to sap its energy.

"Amazing move by Lumiose University! They've substituted for speed by using a generally slower Pokemon to match the use of Trick Room by Jonas and Carbink." Robby's call seemed to fire up the Lumiose fans even more, the cheering growing louder by the second. "Could this be the turning point needed to take the early lead?"

"I don't think so!" Jonas called, sounding frustrated now. Serena had the feeling he'd been heavily relying on Trick Room, and was quite thrown off by the switch to Grotle. "Carbink, use Gyro Ball!"

"Carrr!"

Serena's eyes widened as Carbink suddenly began to spin, flashing green a few times as it did so, with Grotle's vines still on it, but otherwise not seeming bothered as it picked up speed. Then, it began rushing towards Grotle. Serena heard Korrina mentioning Gyro Ball being particularly useful for slower Pokemon, and she couldn't help but be worried for Grotle as Carbink rushed towards it.

Unfortunately for Carbink, Grotle had a tendency to bite things, and this time, Clemont was fully on board.

"Bite, Grotle!"

"Grotle!" the grass type cried out gleefully, opening his jaws wide as Carbink rushed towards him. The Jewel Pokemon appeared to be some kind of super powered spinning top, but Grotle seemed totally oblivious to that as he clamped his jaws down on it. The crowd went silent immediately as it stopped spinning instantly, completely trapped by Grotle's powerful jaws. Serena almost laughed, seeing the gleeful expression in its eyes.

"Now, use Mega Drain!" Clemont ordered, thrusting his arm forward, the crowd cheering as he did so. From the look on Jonas' face, this was the finisher.

There was a muffled cry from Grotle, and Serena was pretty sure she heard a panicked one from Carbink as well. Unfortunately for the Jewel Pokemon, it seemed there was nothing it could do. The energy being sapped by Leech Seed seemed to be nothing compared to what Mega Drain took. Even though Carbink was a rock type, it seemed to sag in Grotle's jaws as it glowed in a bright green light, its energy being drained rapidly.

"Now, throw Carbink!" Clemont ordered, the crowd gasping at the order. Serena was surprised as well, wondering what Clemont was thinking with the order, with Carbink appearing almost finished.

The answer was revealed a moment later, though, as Carbink was thrown against the wall of Trick Room, the room shining briefly as Carbink hit it, before Clemont ordered a Bite on Carbink and Grotle jumped up, pinning the Jewel Pokemon in place as his jaws closed around it once more. A dark light seemed to shine from his jaws in that moment, passing over Carbink and into the wall of Trick Room, seemingly cracking it from where Carbink was pinned in place. A moment later, there was a great crashing sound, like glass falling all over the field as the Trick Room exploded up around where Grotle was now releasing Carbink.

As the rest of Trick Room faded, Carbink fell to the ground with a thud, and Serena smiled, sighing in relief as the referee flew over on his Aegislash. "Carbink is unable to battle! Grotle and Clemont are the winners!"

"YAAAHHH!"

Serena and her friends joined in the cheering, Bonnie probably the loudest of them as Clemont looked up sheepishly, the screen now giving a closeup of him. With this being the first battle for the playoffs, it was definitely huge to get the first win. Obviously it wasn't over, though, as Serena could see Cyllage College already sending out their next trainer while Jonas recalled his Carbink.

"An excellent first battle by Jonas and Carbink!" Robby called out to the crowd, while Macy, the next trainer, took his place. "Now, Cyllage will turn to Macy, and see if she can turn the tables!"

"Armaldo, let's go!" Macy then called out, a large mantis shrimp-like Pokemon emerging, its blue armoured body shining in the sunlight. It certainly looked tough, and according to Korrina, it was part bug type, so it could be a problem for Clemont and Grotle. As the referee called for the battle to resume, Macy was clearly ready for that to be the case. "Armaldo, X-Scissor!"

"Armaldooo!" the Plate Pokemon roared in answer, beginning to run towards Grotle. It definitely didn't have much speed, so Serena knew Trick Room would've been useful for it against most opponents. She did wish Grotle hadn't destroyed it yet, though, with the grass type still appearing like the slower Pokemon.

Clemont didn't seem too worried, however, clearly having some kind of plan as he glanced back at Ash and Trevor before making his order. "Grotle, use Leech Seed!"

"Grotle!" the Grove Pokemon cried out in determination as he faced down Armaldo, who came at him with its arms crossed in front of it. The crowd seemed to have gone quiet as they watched the coming clash.

Then, Armaldo struck, striking Grotle with full force and sending him skidding backwards as something was fired out from the top of his shell. The attack was clearly effective, Grotle appearing winded as he strained to right himself, while Armaldo looked pleased. However, a moment later, the crowd gasped as the bug and rock type cried out himself, stumbling as a green light surrounded him, his energy being sapped just as Carbink's had previously.

"Wow! An exchange of very different attacks, but it appears each were effective in their own right," Robby announced, the crowd murmuring as they watched the two Pokemon. "Grotle is clearly feeling that effective X-Scissor, but that Leech Seed will be tough for Armaldo to handle, as its energy will be continuously sapped!"

"Now, Grotle return!"

Serena blinked in surprise, exchanging a shocked look with her friends as Grotle was suddenly recalled to Clemont's pokeball, before he turned back towards the balcony where Ash and Trevor were, the two of them cheering him on along with the rest of the Lumiose fans in the crowd. Serena and her friends were joined in, but they slowed their applause as they watched the teammates curiously, seeing Trevor once again heading out to the platform, apparently ready to battle once more.

"Well folks, it appears Lumiose is using the substitution strategy here!" Robby called out, as Trevor sent out Aerodactyl once more. "It worked with Clemont taking over for Trevor, getting them out of the bind Carbink had put them in with Trick Room, but will Trevor be able to come in strong against Armaldo in the same way?!"

"Of course he is!" Tierno said excitedly, tapping his feet to some unheard beat. He looked like he understood the substitution strategy well. "I bet Trevs had this planned right at the beginning. He got Cyllage to play their game. It's totally taken them off their rhythm!"

Serena looked down at the Cyllage students thoughtfully as the referee called for the battle to resume, Trevor immediately engaging Armaldo with a Flamethrower from Aerodactyl, the Plate Pokemon being ordered to use a Water Pulse in response. She could see that Tierno had a point about them being thrown off. Jonas looked frustrated, and while that may have been simply due to losing his battle, it was nothing compared to their captain, Sophie, and her frustration.

"She looked so confident earlier," Shauna noted, following Serena's gaze as the crowd cheered for Trevor's Aerodactyl using the steam from the colliding attacks from earlier to land a Giga Impact that sent Armaldo flying across the field and into a tree. "Did they throw them off that easily?"

"Clemont likes to say that a battle is started when a trainer makes the decision to battle another," Korrina pointed out, smiling as she spoke. "A battle can be decided before it's fought. Cyllage clearly planned for a speed match, likely expecting Ash to have Trevor and Clemont follow his style. With Trevor using Aerodactyl, it seemed they were going to do that, but Clemont's Grotle was definitely an unexpected twist. Now Trick Room's gone, and they've got to deal with a speedy Pokemon that can go head to head with their type preference. And...Ash hasn't even battled yet. That's gotta be intimidating when you're already playing from behind."

Serena couldn't help but smile in excitement at that, proud of her friends for making full use of the playoff rules, and using their teamwork to its fullest potential. They were going to be tough to beat if they could keep their wits about them like this. It was inspiring to see, especially with the Performance Team having their own battles now approaching.

"Ouch!" Robby's call snapped Serena's attention back to the field, where Aerodactyl was recovering from a Fury Cutter that had landed while he was unable to respond after Giga Impact. "That was a hard hit, but it looks like Aerodactyl's getting a little boost from Grotle's earlier Leech Seed! Remember, folks, Leech Seed saps the energy of the Pokemon its used on, and then the energy can be absorbed by the other side, even by a Pokemon that is different from the one who used the attack in the first place."

"Aerooo!" Aerodactyl cried out, straightening up as he gained the energy boost, Armaldo stumbling as energy was sapped from it. Trevor seemed ready to take advantage.

"Aerodactyl, use Flamethrower!" he ordered, holding up his camera as though ready to snap a picture of his victory.

"Aerooo!" the Fossil Pokemon cried out, flapping his wings as he darted down, closer to Armaldo as it struggled from the effects of Leech Seed, and Macy ordered a Water Pulse to defend. Unfortunately for them, Aerodactyl was too fast, easily taking advantage of its opening. The flames burst out immediately as he soared down, rocketing towards Armaldo and scorching the Plate Pokemon immediately.

"Armaldooo!" it cried out in response, the flames lighting up the grass all around it, the crowd gasping as it stumbled forward, falling to its knees. It glanced up, breathing heavily, just as the flames began to die down, only for it to wince again as Leech Seed sapped some more energy. This seemed to be Trevor's chance for the finisher.

"Now, one more Giga Impact!" he ordered, getting his camera ready.

Serena and her friends joined the crowd in cheering as he snapped the perfect shot, just as Aerodactyl landed the strike.

"And Cyllage College is down to their final Pokemon!" Robby announced, the crowd murmuring excitedly as Sophie passed Macy, taking her spot on the platform opposite to Trevor, who was recalling Aerodactyl to his pokeball, looking pleased with his victory. "It appears Lumiose will be switching out as well. With both Clemont and Trevor having battled, will they be going with a fresh Pokemon from their captain?!"

Ash confirmed that suspicion a moment later, nodding to Clemont, Agatha and Flint as he stepped off the balcony and headed out to meet Trevor on the walkway towards the platform. "Great job, Trevor!" he said, high fiving him as they reached one another. "You and Aerodactyl were awesome!"

"Thanks," Trevor said, looking a little embarrassed by the praise, but happy nonetheless. "Now you just make sure to finish it off. Remember, that Sophie is apparently pretty strong, and you can bet she'll be determined now."

"Riolu can handle it!" Ash said confidently, Pikachu murmuring agreement as they grinned and headed out to their platform.

"It'll be a battle of captains now!" Robby called out as both Ash and Sophie took their places. "Neither has battled yet today, so it's sure to be good one! Let's find out who their Pokemon will be!"

Ash grinned, excited to show just what he and Riolu had. This was a big challenge for his young fighter, and even though he'd beaten Hau back in Alola, it was an entirely different stage now. He had full confidence, though, and he made that clear as he threw the pokeball forward. "Riolu, I choose you!"

As Riolu emerged, flipping once before landing straight in front of him, Ash also called out Hawlucha to stand at his side with Pikachu, the Wrestling Pokemon looking just as excited as the rest of them about the battle. He immediately got Riolu's attention, and seemed to call out some instructions to him. "Lucha lucha lucha! Hawlucha lucha!"

"Ruru ru!" Riolu answered, holding up a fist in confidence, while Hawlucha nodded, appearing pleased.

Robby, and the crowd, seemed to find it very amusing. "It seems as though Ash's Riolu has an enthusiastic coach helping him for this battle! Let's see if the younger fighting type can impress the wise old Hawlucha!"

"That little baby is no match for what I've got!" Ash looked up in surprise as Sophie glared ahead at him and Riolu. "Don't get too cocky about your wins so far. Cyllage is taking this thing now. Tyrantrum, it's feeding time!"

With that, the Cyllage captain threw out her pokeball, and a moment later, her Pokemon was revealed. There were gasps and murmurs throughout the crowd as the massive T-Rex-like Pokemon emerged, roaring and shaking the field as it locked onto its opponent. It seemed to do its best to intimidate Riolu, bearing its fangs and roaring loudly as it stomped on the ground, looking as menacing as possible, ready to charge at any second.

"Ruru!"

"Oh wow, would you look at that!" Robby sounded ecstatic, and the crowd certainly seemed to be enjoying Riolu's antics as well. "Riolu isn't troubled by Tyrantrum one bit! He's ready to get this battle started! I guess we should let him have his wish! How about it, folks?!"

The crowd roared their approval, while Ash grinned and readied himself. With that, the referee floated upwards on his Aegislash, and then raised an arm, swinging it down as he made his call. "Let the battle begin!"

As pumped as Sophie seemed to be for this battle, Ash knew he wasn't going to miss his chance for the first attack, and Riolu seemed more than ready to follow, bouncing on his feet as he looked ahead at the fearsome Tyrantrum. "Go Riolu, use Quick Attack!"

"Ruru!"

Sophie, Tyrantrum, Robby and the crowd could barely react as Riolu took off with a speed that even Pikachu would have a hard time matching. He appeared almost like a streak of white light as he burst forward, grass kicked up behind him as he ran. He leaped up towards the trees as he ran, kicking off one of them before driving his whole body into Tyrantrum's side, the force somehow powerful enough to send the Despot Pokemon stumbling over, roaring in pain from the quick strike.

"Amazing!" Robby yelled as Riolu hopped back, punching the air in triumph from his successful attack. "Little Riolu puts Tyrantrum on the ground with a mighty Quick Attack!"

"Lucha!" Hawlucha cheered, pumping his fist as well as he looked ahead.

Ash knew they couldn't get too comfortable, though, seeing Tyrantrum already beginning to stir, and Sophie looking furious about being hit so quickly. Immediately, she was ordering a counter. "Tyrantrum, use Rock Slide!"

"Riolu, Metal Claw!"

As Tyrantrum roared, rising to its feet as fast as it could, Riolu darted back, one fist glowing white as he readied for the assault heading his way. He appeared confident, though, and Ash was amused as he noticed Hawlucha looking equally at ease next to him. A moment later, though, Tyrantrum was up, roaring as rocks seemed to shoot up out of the ground in front of them, before flying through the air and hovering over Riolu, who locked his eyes on them.

"Rantruuummm!" Tyrantrum then roared, the large rocks suddenly plummeting down towards Riolu.

"Now Riolu!" Ash yelled, pumping his fist confidently. He knew in his heart Riolu could fight it off.

"Ru ru ru!"

The crowd went wild, completely amazed at what happened next. As the rocks rushed towards Riolu, he engaged immediately, striking the first rock, one nearly three times his size, and sending it falling to the side. Then, he shattered the next, and sent the one after that straight into a tree. Before anyone knew what had happened, the Emanation Pokemon was hovering in midair, a combination of rubble and large deflected rocks underneath him as he turned his sights on a shocked Tyrantrum.

"Now, hit him with another Quick Attack, and follow it up with Metal Claw!" Ash ordered, punching the air in tune with Riolu, who did the same in answer to Ash's order.

"Ru!" The Emanation Pokemon landed on one of the stones he'd deflected from Rock Slide, before kicking straight off of it and darting towards Tyrantrum once again. The huge rock type was stunned once more by the much smaller Pokemon's ferocity, as Riolu crashed into its midsection with full force.

"Tyrantruuummm!" Tyrantrum roared in discomfort, eyes bulging as Riolu hit him. Unfortunately for the Despot Pokemon, the assault wasn't over, the young fighting Pokemon then darting up with his fist glowing in the white light of Metal Claw. Before Tyrantrum could even look, his jaw was being struck hard by the super effective attack and he was staggering back once more, crying out from the strike while Riolu flipped backwards, ready to engage again as soon as necessary.

"Unbelievable!" Robby called out, the crowd roaring in excitement equal to his own. "Riolu is demonstrating incredible strength to go along with lightning speed! Is there any way Tyrantrum can handle the mighty team of Ash and Riolu?!"

"Just watch!" Sophie yelled, narrowing her eyes as she looked towards Riolu. Ash could see that she was ready to go with an all or nothing strike now, desperate to turn the tables before it was too late. They would need to be ready for whatever she did next. "Tyrantrum, use your most powerful attack! Head Smash!"

"Oh my! This could be just what Sophie and Cyllage College need!" Robby called out in surprise. "Head Smash is one of the most powerful moves Tyrantrum can use, even if it comes at a cost of serious recoil damage."

Ash narrowed his eyes, sensing Pikachu and Hawlucha tensing next to him. Clearly Sophie was desperate, but if she was willing to use this move, it meant she thought it would give her a chance. He needed to make sure that Riolu could handle it.

"Riolu, hang in there with Endure!"

"What's this?! Ash is planning on letting Riolu take the hit! Let's see if he can handle it!" Robby's call was followed by the gasps of the crowd, watching on as Tyrantrum roared and then lowered its head, charging as Riolu readied himself in front of Ash, bracing for impact as he clenched a fist at his side, a soft, green glow appearing around it.

"Rantruuummm!"

"Ru!"

The two Pokemon seemed to lock eyes for a moment as Tyrantrum neared Riolu, the ground shaking as he charged. However, Ash noticed the Despot Pokemon's eyes suddenly widen with surprise, just as he was about to make impact. Then, as he struck, the whole field seemed to shake, the trees on the battlefield seeming to groan with the power of the attack as the energy emitted shock waves around the two Pokemon. Dust shot up around them as they were locked in place, the crowd murmuring excitedly as they looked on, desperate to see how Riolu fared. Then, the dust began to settle.

"What?!"

Ash was almost just as surprised as Sophie, his eyes widening as he looked at the scene in front of him. He could tell they weren't the only ones stunned, the entire crowd seeming to go quiet as they stared at the scene on the battlefield. Only Hawlucha seemed to have any reaction.

"Lucha!"

Ash could barely believe it, regardless of how confident he'd been in Riolu, and how well the battle had gone up until this point. However, what was in front of him was a completely still Tyrantrum, its head pressed up against Riolu's fist, a green glow just beginning to fade from it, before he slowly pulled it back. As he let go, there was a big thud as Tyrantrum's limp body dropped to the ground.

The referee, one of the first to recover from the shock of the moment, moved forward with his Aegislash. "Tyrantrum is unable to battle! Riolu and Ash are the winners! The match goes to Lumiose University!"

"YAHHH!"

The call seemed to open the floodgate of cheers, and Ash couldn't help but grin as he looked up, seeing his friends rooting for him from the stands. With everything the team had gone through to get to this point, it couldn't have felt better. And with what lay ahead, it was a crucial, message sending victory.

"Absolutely incredible! Riolu learns Drain Punch and knocks Tyrantrum out as it charges at him with a mighty Head Smash attack!" Robby's yell seemed to get louder as he continued, the crowd's cheers almost drowning out his voice. "That is one gutsy Riolu, and Ash has certainly trained it well!"

At that, Ash grinned once more, hopping out onto the field with Hawlucha and Pikachu and rushing out towards the surprised looking fighting type ahead of them. "Riolu!" Ash called as they reached him, kneeling next to him as he looked up. "You were so awesome! It looks like Flint was right! You were learning a new move!"

"Pika!"

"Lucha lucha!"

Riolu looked to each of them, still appearing surprised by the strength he'd shown. But then, a moment later, his youthful energy showed itself once more, and he gave a little cheer and mimicked one of Hawlucha's poses. "RURU!"

After his cheer, the Emanation Pokemon jumped into Ash's arms hugging his trainer in excitement over his win. Ash couldn't have been happier for him. This is what we're fighting for, Raphael, he thought, thinking of the hunter. We'll never lose if we have each other.

Author's Note:

And so, Lumiose sweeps round one, with clever substitutions and a display of great force by Riolu. Hopefully it had enough of a dramtic flare to be entertaining. Other than that, obviously Raphael has been forced to flee. Could that mean he's done...or will he attack soon...

Anyway, not much else to say. Semifinals next chapter. Hope you enjoyed and see you then.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 118 17
Timothy is a disfigured hunchback who is locked in the bell tower of Lumiose City's cathedral where he serves as the bell-ringer. With only his Pokem...
36.4K 691 30
Serena Yvonne is a 15 year old girl who lived in Vaniville Town with her best friends, Dawn and Clemont. Today is her first day at Lumiose High, one...
560 19 3
Ancienverse. Threeshot. The ending of every story must always have a beginning, just as the sunrise of a day always precedes its sunset. For Ash and...
7.8K 217 13
Love is abstract. Love can be complex. Follow the journey of Ash and Serena as they find their true love. Amourshipping AU #amouriscanonentry Highest...