Between Ties

By kimmyxad

"Don't go inside! Stay!" She said, holding her hand up to show me her palm and then I leaned over the balcony... More

Prologue
1. Chang's Restaurant
2. Noisy Neighbor
3. Reintroduction
4. Answers
5. From Me To You
6. A Game Worth Playing
7. A Little Too Fast. A Little Too Quickly
8. New Man In Charge
9. Comfort Between Friends
10. I Got You
11. 0104
12. Goodnight Maverick
13. The Kiss of Death
14. Intruder
15. The Calm
16. Pillow Talk
17. Cough Up
19. Blackout
20. The Soul Realm
21. Him and I
22. Long Overdue
23. Couple Stuff
24. Daddy's Home
25. Fallen Angel
26. Jack and Rose
27. The Secret Keepers Society
28. If Im Being Honest
29. Creep
30. Surprise Surprise
31. Gone
32. Let Me Save You
33. Daddy Issues
34. Everythings Fucked Up
35. New Plan, New Deals
36. Kanga-ROOK
37. It Wouldnt Be Nixon Without A Little Nixon
38. When Worlds Collide
39. Jackett
40. Roses Are Red
Epilogue

18. The Return of The Emerald Dress

98 6 0
By kimmyxad

Maverick's Point of View

I pressed her back again the door of her apartment as I held her up in my arms while her legs wrapped around my waist. She roared with laughter as I had just ran down the hallway of her apartment floor, gripping onto his body with her firmly in my hold, as if we were little kids playing.

My body still ached from the fight but I didn't care about the fucking pain.

I like being playful with her.

she smiled as she exhaled feeling the hard surface of the door against her back.

I remembered the cut in my lip and decided to use that sacrifice to unlock her door with a spell but as soon as I was about to utter the words she clasped her hand over my mouth, almost slapping it closed and then said "no, I'll open it it's okay." She smiled as I had still held onto her body while the door had still given her extra support.

"Now where's the fun in that? I'm a witch, take advantage of the fact that I can make your life a whole lot easier." I whispered leaning in closer to her, licking my bruised lower lip and then she cupped both my cheeks with her soft delicate little hands.

"Maverick, I'm an independent woman." She smirked and that was true but just because she was able to do things herself doesn't mean she had to.

"And I'm gentleman, sometimes.." I grinned and then she laughed, she's so fucking beautiful when she laughs "Rhy, just let me-" I tried to finish my sentence and then her front door had swung open, causing my reflexes to kick in instantly and pull her upright as the door had no longer supported her. Her hands had quickly wrapped around my neck as I had held onto her tightly and then closed my eyes feeling her safely in my arms as I had sighed a breath of relief,

my face was now buried in her soft chest as I pressed her body against me.

fuck, that was close.

"Rhyett!?" I heard a feminine but strong voice coming from inside of her apartment. I twisted my neck still holding Rhy up and then I had seen a woman with long red hair holding a cup of tea while a man sat on Rhy's couch staring at us with big eyes and disbelief.

She's the spitting image of Rhy.

The woman scanned the both of us in this position, me holding onto Rhy like this with her sexy legs wrapped around me. The woman's gaze followed us from head to toe before Rhy was pulled from her frozen shock to fall back into reality, quickly forcing herself down to the ground from my arms and then said,

"Mom!?"

Oh fuck.

Rhyett's Point of View

This is a dream, this has to be a dream!

My mother stood in front of Maverick and I with her eyes of steel, dressed in a cream channel two piece suit as Mavs lifted his arm up to scratch the back of his head, his bicep muscle showing from the bareness that was below his black short sleeved tee.

He seemed a little taken back and caught off guard and honestly I was too.

"Who is this?" She questioned instantly as she pointed her judgmental eyes at Maverick who was now standing confidently tall as he morphed out of his previously vulnerable state.

Oh my god, this is so awkward. I went from loving the way it felt to being so close to Maverick again, being touched by him, feeling him hold me in his arms and just being completely drawn to him....to being utterly maybe slightly pisses off.

"Hey." He stepped forward as his arm had passed me, holding it out for her to shake. "I'm Maverick Novak, I live in the building across from your daughters..um" he cleared his throat and then added "and I go to school with her." He nodded as my father stayed seated where he was, almost living in a world of his own, not wanting to her involved.

Shit, this is what that text was about.

Mom.

He probably wanted to tell me that she was in town and was planning to stop by.

"Rhyett's mother." She said cautiously shaking his hand as if he had some type of disease "what happened to your face?" She asked scanning the surface of his slightly beaten up face and then I had readied myself to interrupt as I took a deep breath in.

It's not her business and I don't even know why the hell she's here.

Why did my father allow this. I wanted to be mad at him but he wasn't the problem,

She was.

"That's not important." I said to her "why are you even here!?" I was furious. I could feel my ears turning as red as my hair.

"Neil!" She yelled and then ignored me to face my father "so this is what's going on!? You let her run around town with some boy who has cuts and bruises on his face! He is obviously trouble...and clearly you don't know how to parent your teenage daughter!"

What the actually fuck was her problem, she had no right to address my father about his parenting when she's been anything but a parent.

"Get out of my apartment!" I said strongly, glaring at her and then felt Maverick's fingers wrap around my wrist, forcing me to look back at him.

He stared into my eyes with softness shaking his head lightly, biting his bottom lip nervously not knowing what to say because he didn't want to get involved, he knew that it wasn't his place, but I could tell that he wanted to stop me...I know it had something to do with how close he was with his mother and he didn't like how I was with mine. But he didn't understand.

I ignored him and pulled my arm from his fingers.

This woman made me hate my father for years and now she's here expecting me to fucking give her a chance to speak.

"Don't touch my daughter." She said to Maverick and then his eyes turned hard as his mouth quickly smirked with a hint of anger.

oh shit, here we go. She shouldn't have.

"With all the respect Ms Willow-" he began as I nervously swallowed a lump and then she corrected him "Ms Bowgard." She smiled thinly raising her hand into the air as a way of showing him that his words didn't matter.

"I don't give a fuck," He stared into her eyes not blinking in that moment "I am not a threat to Rhyett. In fact my face is proof that I won't let anyone disrespect her. Not even you." He paused as I began to internally panic I need to get him out of here before he says something crazy,

I just don't want to deal with all of this right now and I know Maverick would protect me, regardless of who was trying to hurt me,

My mother wasn't an exception.

"Stop," I said to him gently "hey look, you have that thing tonight with Kenzo, the dinner he texted you about...it's getting late you should go get ready. I'll call you later." I nodded at him as I placed my hand on the soft warm surface his face twisting his neck in a smooth gentle motion to have his eyes see me.

He just looked at me. He didn't say a word.

"Maverick you're going to be late. It's important remember. Kenzo wants to talk. It's important Maverick, this is my business and I'm strong, I can handle this. You know that." I said and then he swallowed and shut his eyes to almost calm down and let it go, as he gave off a nod before staring back at her,

My mother.

"It was nice meeting you. I hope we meet under better circumstances again." He said bluntly with no emotion on his face as his thick voice was fully present.

"Call me, Rhy." He said reminding me that I said that I would call him, before he walked off and disappeared into the hallway outside of my apartment door.

My mother smiled thinly shaking her head as I now looked at her "He is going to ruin your life." She said smugly. "You already did by doing nothing and calling me a liar when I cried to you telling you the truth about your lil boyfriend Hansel."

"Hansel is a good man!" She screamed trying to defend him, but deep down I know she knows the truth and that he had always been feeding her bullshit.

"No! Dad is good man!" I yelled "You made me believe that he was this villain in my life! Your judgment is fucked up when it comes to men, so don't for a second think you know Maverick." I paused "Hansel is a piece of shit just like you are, now get the fuck out before I call the cops!" I was filled with rage as my father just sat there and let all of this play out while he was silent.

I don't blame him, he doesn't know what's going on and this was between her and I. My father and Maverick needed to stay out of this, it wasn't their fight it was ours.

"You need to show more respect honey! I gave you life!" She seemed disgusted in me, placing her cup of tea onto my counter furiously as if I had wronged her while her YSL heels had then carried her out of my apartment.

"You don't know a damn thing about respect." I said shutting my front door close behind her. I inhaled and exhaled deeply as my father stayed seated on my couch just staring into nothingness.

He doesn't deal well with confrontation and almost never intervened in arguments or fights. He often stays quiet, he's been that way since I was little,

But a small part of me had wished he had said something.

"Why did you let her in!?" I had asked him and then he didn't say a word for a few seconds as I threw my bag onto the floor and stormed into my kitchen.

"She told me she wanted to fix things between the two of you, Rhyett." He admitted and then I glared at him.

"She is a monster there is no fixing anything Dad." my eyes were wide. "Why didn't you warn me!?" I was curious and really pissed off.

"I didn't know she was coming, sweetheart. I was going to tell you but then she showed up early...she was only suppose to show up tonight." He seemed sorry and sincere and then my face softened almost shifting at the mention of his words.

"I get that." I walked into my lounge area and then he stood up from his seat. "I'm really sorry Rhyett." I saw a tear fall from his eye and then I had hugged him, holding onto his body as I felt the warmth of him surround me. He held onto me tightly and then I remembered hugging him like this when I was a kid.

"It's okay dad." I spoke into his chest and then sniffed as I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket,

I broke our hug and then pull it out.

Maverick: Get done. You're going with me.

I read it and then I pushed it back into my pocket as I held onto my father again.

It was nice, being in his arms.

I missed the feeling of having a father,

My father.

Maverick's Point of View

I stood leaning into Kenzo's car, almost hanging into it from the open passenger door. Kenzo sat in the drivers seat while Addison sat with her huge pregnant belly in the back.

We were parked in the sidewalk parking outside of my apartment building.

I smiled at something funny Addi had said and then brought my finger up to the corner of my mouth to light the cigarette I had placed there.

"Yo!" Kenzo said stopping me as he lifted his hand up to prevent me from lighting the cigarette "Not inside my car Maverick, Addison's pregnant." He said and honestly I wasn't thinking straight as the fight earlier between Rhy and her mother was still on my mind but Rhyett had assured me that everything was fine,

So therefore I just had to trust her word, but I don't like nor trust her mother so I'll be very observant around her.

"Sorry." I said stepped aside and then walked towards the hood of his car to lean against it as we all waited for Rhy.

I coughed. I really should tell Kenzo to heal this cough, I think I might be getting sick.

"Maverick, what happened with you and Beth?" I heard Addi speak as I twisted my neck to face her through the window, crossing my feet.

I really don't wanna fucking talk about Beth but I guess everyone wants answers and I'd rather just get it out of the way now, so that no one brings this shit up again.

"Rhyett and I are better suited." I shrugged giving a short answer as I pulled a drag of my now lit cigarette and then blew the smoke towards the opposite side of Addison's direction.

"So y'all dating?" She did the eyebrow wiggle thing and then I laughed "no, I mean..in my head." I smirked and then Kenzo and her both chuckled before I became a little more serious "I haven't asked her to be my girlfriend or anything..but I guess we're exclusive I think." I nodded before taking another drag and then smiled "I'm the prince Eric to her Ariel or in her words I guess I'm Jim Hawkins...so, I mean..I don't know." I laughed exhaling smoke and then Addi teased "Awwww, you're shy." She chuckled "Kenzo, Maverick's shy and it's the sweetest thing!" She cooed making a pouty face.

I'm not fucking shy. I'm just...

Nervous, when it comes to her. Rhyett.

"Kenzo, control your wife." I joked with a hint of a half smile as I looked down to where I was ashing my cigarette.

Kenzo laughed. "Maverick. Where is she though?" He looked at his watch "We're going to be late for the reservation."

"Yo, she said she was..."

"Thank you, tell my father I'll be home at 11 if he's looking for me." I heard her silky voice come from across the road as she had waved to the doorman who then nodded with a polite smile.

Oh
My
Fucking
God

It's the dress.

Her body coated in the emerald dress that she once wore when deciding what to wear on her date with Xander.

And boy am I happy that shit with him didn't work out.

I love that fucking dress, it stuck to her body like a second layer of skin. It was sexy and beautiful and she was obviously fucking breathtaking,

This dress was...no,

she was gorgeous.

Fuck, ya boy need to control himself and put his tongue back in his mouth.

Rhyett's Point of View

I stepped across the road feeling completely nervous as Maverick, Kenzo and Kenzo's wife had all stared at me.

The night air was warm and the road lit up today like it never did before,

I wore this dress, the emerald one that I really loved, I mean I needed something to cheer me up from the encounter I had with my mother earlier today and this dress makes me feel...good.

I didn't want to think too much about my mother because I just wanted to have a good night, let's face it it's not the last I'm going to see of her and I prefer to deal with her then,

Rather than now.

I crossed the road one black stingily heel after the other as Maverick killed his cigarette by dropping it to the ground and stepping on it as he walked towards me and then gripped my waist, his hands slid against the soft silk of my dress as his fingers had now touch my skin through the opening of my back.

He swayed me as he wrapped his arms fully around me to hold me tight, as I felt my feet slightly lifting from the ground. He smelt like smoke but the undertone of him smelt like his alluring cologne.

I laughed as he gave me a million tiny kisses on my cheek and in my neck, before putting me back down on the ground.

My cheeks heated up and how adorable he was being.

"Hey," he smirked and then nodded "it's the dress." He said with eye that glowed with a hint of joy.

He remembered this dress?

"Yeah, the one you rated a 5 out of 10." I played and then he laughed "nah, this dress was a fucking solid one million out of 10, a for sure winner to me. I just didn't think Xander would like it. But definitely do." He said and then my heart felt a little fuzzy as his hand had found mine and then he directed me into a twirl while he scanned me from head to toe.

"Daaaaamn." He paused "And you like me back? I'm lucky as fuck." He bit his lip and then I laughed "Maverick! Stop!"

"Yeah please stop. Leave your dirty looks for the bedroom." I heard a female voice coming from the back of the car and then I blushed.

"Hey, oh my god. I'm so embarrassed." I said, and I was. Maverick really doesn't care about anything else around him he just does whatever he wants.

"No need to be," she laughed "I'm Addison, Kenzo's wife." she said politely. She was stunning, her blonde hair was pulled back into a sleek ponytail, her body dressed in a beautiful black maternity dress and she had sharp features, she resembled Hailey Bieber. For a moment I was in awe at how beautiful she was and then I introduced myself "Nice to meet you. I'm Rhyett..."

"Maverick's fucking wife." Maverick had cut me off as he had said that jokingly as then we all laughed.

"Okay, I'm done now." He said "get in the car, we're going to be late. You and Addison can talk about make-up and bags on the way there." He said opening the back car door for me as Addison scooted up.

"Really, you think that's what girls talk about?" I played as I got into the car and then gave Kenzo a wave with my fingers to greet him as he smiled to greet me in return.

"Other than boys and shoes? Yes." He played and then shut the door before he had climbed into the front,

"You're and idiot." I smiled and then reached my hand forward to ruffle his hair as he shut his car door.

"Your idiot" he mumbled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

847K 19.7K 44
WLW [femxfem] βΈ» "Such a good girl are you, mhm?" I swallowed hard and my eyes widened, I just felt how weak my legs were and immediately grabbed...
56.4K 2.4K 64
"You good, babe? You kinda seem a bit off today." "How so?" I asked, even though I knew the answer to that question. Damien answered, "Well you haven...
1.5M 31.7K 24
"Please dont do this, I don't want it. Please." I plead with him but it's no use. He walks over to me and slams his hand on the wall next to my head...
80.7K 1K 58
{EDITING PROCESS} *BOOK ONE OF TWO* When a high school student named Davina Smith faces her senior year after a tragedy in her family, suddenly finds...