Distant Worlds ~ A Black Clov...

Por FinalEdge

Introduced to a world where mana means power Ember Avest is forced to recognize the world she knew is no more... Más

Chapter 1 - New Worlds
Chapter 2 - The Sword that Sings
Chapter 3 - Guardian Seals
Chapter 4 - A Lion's Seal
Chapter 5 - An Unrivaled Challenge
Chapter 6 - Prove Your Place
Chapter 7 - Mana Flux
Chapter 8 - An Unlearned Lesson
Chapter 9 - Flight by Lion
Chapter 11 - Remembrance
Chapter 12-The Storm's Ambush
Chapter 13 - Family Reunion
Chapter 14 - The First Move
Chapter 15 - Feeding a Lioness
Chapter 16 - Conflicted Feelings
Chapter 17 - Something Worth Protecting
Chapter 18 - The Morning After
Chapter 19 - A Kindling Passion
Chapter 20 - An Unknown Illness
Chapter 21 - An Unrelenting Fever
Chapter 22 - Steamy Hot Spring Relaxation -Lemon
Chapter 23 - Hostage Situation
Chapter 24 - Birthday Surprises - Lemon
Chapter 25 - Halloween Ball
Chapter 26 - Apologies
Chapter 27 - Thank you for Being my Friend
Chapter 28 - Beachy Vacation - Lemon (again)
Chapter 29 - Conferment Ceremony
Chapter 30 - The Edge of Death
Chapter 31 - The Aftermath Diagnosis
Chapter 32 - Investigations and a Lioness's Return
Chapter 33 - Star Festival
Chapter 34 - Hot Spring Training
Chapter 35 - Royal Knights Preparations
Chapter 36 - With Death Comes Life
Chapter 37 - The Lion Awakens
Chapter 38 - Attack on House Vermillion
Chapter 39 - Betrayal
Chapter 40 - Thalia's Gift
Update -Good Update not Bad!
Chapter 41 - What Started it All
Chapter 42 - Death's Death
Chapter 43 - A Battle's End
Chapter 44 - Feverish Delusions
Chapter 45 - Breaking a Fever
Chapter 46 - Royal Announcement
Chapter 47 - The Heaven's Proposal (Lemon)
Chapter 48 - Eagle's Prey
Chapter 49 - The Bachelor Party
Chapter 50 - Wedding Part 1
Chapter 51 - Wedding Part 2 (Lemon)
Chapter 52 - The Soaring Eagle Catches Up
Chapter 53 - Dog House
Chapter 54 - A Growing Family
Chapter 55 - Little Brothers
Chapter 56 - Fin
Chapter 57 - Official Artwork
Sequel to Distant Worlds

Chapter 10 - A Warm Slumber

4.2K 146 77
Por FinalEdge

It's been several days but I finally got all my potions and ointments ready to be shipped off to several of the churches. I find they typically do a better job than me distributing everything because they know the public's current need. Usually I like to deliver everything myself, but being required to stay within a certain radius of the captain means I have to use the postal service to deliver everything.

"Please be careful with it. I won't be able to make any more for a while." I tell the postal carrier as he hauls away all my hard work. I watch him leave the base's gates before letting out a loud yawn. Man. I don't think I've slept more than a collective of 5 hours over the last three days. Too bad once you start making those potions there's really no good place to take a break. Looking up at the sun I realize lunch must be just about over. Usually I would be getting ready for my lesson, however a majority of the squad has left on missions or is stationed on patrol. This doesn't mean I get a free pass at an afternoon nap though. Fuegoleon has called for a meeting with me this afternoon. Over what it is, I don't know. I've been locked up in the infirmary making potions that I haven't paid much attention to anything else the last few days. Deciding to head for Fuegoleon's office, I pass by the empty dinning hall. Damn it, I missed lunch I guess I'll just have refuel at dinner. My stomach growls in protest. "Shush, no one asked for your opinion." I tell my stomach, but I'm still hungry.

Tired and hungry I finally arrive at the ornate double doors that close off Fuegoleon's office from the rest of the base. Before I can even knock on the door I can hear his voice telling me to enter. I push the doors open and gently close them behind me before taking a seat in front of his desk. He's reviewing a small stack of papers on his desk as I plop down. This whole scene reminds me of the first day I was here as a knight. Eventually he sighs and looks up at me. I try not to let out another long yawn.

"Ember, you're finally here." He sounds tired. Upon closer inspection I can tell he hasn't slept recently either. I don't think it's due to the mana link, but rather due to the demands of running the squad. "We've got a mission."

"We?" I ask him.

"Yes, the Magic King has requested that I personally investigate the increased number of attacks at the Diamond border. Reports state they've been using magic tools that we've acquired in the past. I believe someone in Clover is selling out our kingdom. From the list of items, it's believed to be a noble. Unfortunately that means you will be coming with me into a known battle zone. I've tried looking into ways to extend the mana link so you wouldn't have to come but at the moment there's no viable options." He takes a sip from his drink before continuing. "We'll be leaving tonight in order to get there as soon as possible. It's about a two day travel for us." He hands me a large envelope. I take out the contents to be met with a map and several paragraphs of text relating to the case.

"Alright...." I say slowly briefly looking at the papers before returning them to the envelope. I look back up at him. "How are we getting there if it's taking two days?"

"None of the spacial mages have been to the location, so we'll be traveling in a similar fashion to how we got to the castle the other day." Great more flying, this time for two days. Using the back of my hand, I cover my mouth as I failed to stifle another yawn. I expect to get reprimanded but he just keeps staring at my face. I can tell he's trying to analyze something, but I'm too tired to try to figure out what. I look at the envelope in my hands. The map sticks out in my mind. Our destination is near the high mana region where I entered Clover with Mereolona and where Alec's grave is.

"I guess I better get ready for it then." He leans back in his chair, nodding in agreement.

"We'll be leaving at 6 from the front gates." I give a small sigh as indication that I heard him as I gather my stuff and leave the office. As soon as I close his office doors I release the longest yawn that I've been holding back the entire time.

It takes me nearly all afternoon to strategically pack everything I may need. Ample first aid supplies? Check. Change of clothes? Check. Snacks for the road? Check. Luckily for me I had befriended enough of the kitchen staff over the last few weeks that they cooked me up a roast beef with carrots and potatoes to quell my rumbling tummy. Too bad there was no enough time to do anything about my sleep deprivation though.

I'll just have to keep downing as much caffeine as I can until we land for the night. I think as I chug another tall coffee on my way out to the front gates to meet Fuegoleon. He's already there with his massive lion waiting for me. Randall, our vice captain is also there. It appears he's getting one last briefing on what to do in our absence. As I approach the two men, they break from the conversation and look at me. What, why are you staring at me? I think grumpily. Randall simply says his farewells to our captain and walks right past me on his way back to base.

"Don't be a hindrance to the captain." He tells me as he's passing by. I merely flip him off with my middle finger, although no one in clover knows the middle finger equates to a "fuck you". Closing the distance between me and Fuegoleon I try not to yawn for the umpteenth time, but I fail.

"Ember-" He addresses me as proceed to try to grab the top of the lion to mount it. But it's still taller than me making it hard to get up. He just keeps watching me attempting to mount the beast. He must find it amusing as I finally pull myself onto it stomach first, like a flopping fish. After swinging my right leg around to properly straddle the flame creature I stare down at him.

"What. I thought we were going."

"How much sleep have you had?" Wha-? I'm fine, I just had another coffee, I've been surviving on pure coffee the last three days, another night without sleep isn't going to matter. Apparently my lack of response is enough though. "Your mana control hasn't been this horrible. Ever. You're letting it seep through the seal."

"I had some coffee I'll be fine. I'll work on cleaning up my control." I say. He's still standing there staring at me. "What?"

"You're missing more than just a few hours. You're not you. Coffee isn't going to cut it. The Ember I know would have gotten into a fight with Randall over that comment and would throw a fit about flying." My jaw clamps down as I force myself not to let out yet another yawn.

"I'm fine, really. I was just up really late finishing all the medicine for the commonwealth. I've got enough energy to hold on while flying. I'll be fine after we land tonight. I won't hold you back. I promise." I mumble. My eyelids feel heavy despite all the caffeine in my system. Fuegoleon seems to notice this. "Hey- wait- what are you doing?" I ask as he mounts the lion and takes a seat behind me.

"You're too tired to hold onto me. It'll be safer if we sit like this." He reaches around me and grabs the lion's mane in front of me. I'm now hyperaware of my back against his chest and his lean arms on either side of me. I crane my head back to get a look at him but his face is right next to mine. I'm about to protest again but he doesn't wait for my rebuttal as he forces the lion high into the air. Adrenaline from the sudden climb causes me to wake up enough to realize how paralyzing my fear of heights is. I try to calm myself down by staring at the setting sun but as I watch it descend past the horizon I see how small all the villages and trees are below us. Giving a small yelp of terror I grab onto the closest thing I can and bury my face in order to hide the sight from my eyes. The smell of cloves and campfire tells me I've buried my face into the front of Fuegoleon's cape. Oh dear lord, what have I done! You can't get over your fear of heights and your quivering like a coward. Now he's going to expect you to slow him down on this mission. Gah! Ember! Get. It. Together. Over the course of my mental pep talk he's moved his left hand to my waist to secure my position on the beast. "You're fine. I won't let you fall." The words make his chest reverberate. I nod my head but still refuse to stop clenching onto his front. He doesn't seem to mind though.

Soon enough the reds, pinks and oranges from the sunset are replaced by the night's stars. Moonlight illuminates our way. The wind has also died down to a gentle breeze, despite our high altitude. But I'm not paying any attention to this. The rhythmic beating of Fuegoleon's heart and the warmth his body gives off lulls me into a deep sleep despite not being in my bed.

Third Person POV.

It's been about an hour since the two have left the base. Within the first half an hour Ember's anxiety and adrenaline had yielded to her need for sleep. It's about time. You pushed yourself too far making all those potions. Fuegoleon thinks as he looks down at the brunette. Her mana control has gotten better so it wasn't until the last night when he felt the exhaustion and stress she was under through the seal. He had suspected earlier that she was caught up in her work when she skipped their morning lessons two days in a row. He tried looking for her in her quarters but she wasn't there, but rather in the infirmary. For the most part she had gotten a handle on the mana flux where it no longer provided him distress but the last 12 hours or so had been a challenge to say the least. He found his focus dwindling to nothing, and he was agitated easier than normal. When he saw Ember holding back yawns through out their meeting he was sure his symptoms were due to her. He felt bad telling her that they would need to leave before dinner for a mission he needed to complete. It wasn't her position to complete the Magic King's request, however she was bonded to him for the time being and would have to come.

That's why he wasn't upset at her gruff attitude earlier or her lack of enthusiasm. She looked like a walking zombie, not responding to her usual triggers and obeying everything nearly everything she was told. She had pushed herself to help the citizens of Clover. And although she may not admit it, he found her aptitude and kindness a thing to be admired. From his training with her, he found her ability to adapt to new situations and face difficult challenges head on (albeit not without a complaint or two) a key trait he hoped all knights had. After all she had been ripped from the world she had known entirely after helping his sister and placed into a world nothing like her own. She knew nothing of Clover when she got here, yet recognized that her guardian powers, linked to a god of death, could jeopardize the lives of millions. Millions that she had no connection with when she decided to accept the burden of sealing those powers away. And still, she worked hard to use the non-magical skills she had to improve everyone's lives. Honorable indeed.

He was pulled out of his thoughts as he felt her shift under him. He tightened he grip he had on her waist, after all he had promised not to let her fall. He was actually quite surprised earlier when she fell asleep in his arms. He wasn't sure that her exhaustion was great enough to conquer her fear of heights, but apparently it was.

The nighttime wind starts to pick up and brings a new chill to the air. Ember shivers in her sleep. Although the uniform he gave her protects her against magical attacks, it doesn't fully protect against Mother Nature itself. Using his own magic affinity, Fuegoleon increases his body temperature and the air surrounding him a few degrees to starve off the nighttime chill. This seems to cause Ember to snuggle in closer and tighten the grip she has on his cloak. Fuegoleon looks down at her as she starts to mumble inaudibly in her sleep. By now she's claimed him as her pillow and bed for her deep slumber, but he doesn't mind. It feels good and it's been a while since he's felt a touch like hers.

As a royal and a captain of one of the more prestigious nine magic knight squads, there was certain protocols and particular etiquette he and Nozel had to follow by. This mean being honorable and following courting procedures when it came to women. Granted, he didn't follow all of the procedures when he was younger, (he was a hot blooded male after all and not unfamiliar with the female body) but his current status and duties prevented him from the type of companionship he desired. Most of the women that tried to catch his eye were outside of the magic knights. They were ladies of the court and more interested in his bloodline and looks than him as an individual. Most of them were not interested in the progressive ideas he preached. Ember was different though. It was clear to everyone she didn't care about status (although she tried to be considerate enough of traditions, it was when the traditional assumptions stifled others that she got riled up). To others she seemed powerless. No mana and no grimoire. But she didn't let that keep her down. She used her brains to improve upon the current status quo when she could easily unbind her guardian powers and demand respect. He had felt the vast extent of power she held during the sealing but Ember refused to resort to that power. She also didn't take herself too seriously and often joked or gave sarcastic remarks over just about everything. It also didn't hurt that she looked different from the other nobles. Her 5'4" stature means he towered a good nine inches above her. Her petite figure was also lean and muscular but it didn't stop her curvy hips and well-endowed bosom from being noticed. It was hard to think she was only two years younger than him. She was special. She was.... different, he thought, and it was refreshing.

"Nhn. Please..... Don't....Don't go" Fuegoleon stares at the top of her wavy hair as she seems to narrate her dream. Her brows are knit together in a concerned look and she appears to be having a nightmare. He can tell it's unpleasant from the mana flux she's causing within him. He tightens the grip his left arm has on her ever so slightly and places his chin on top of her head.

"Shhhh. It's alright. Nothing's going to happen to you. It's just a dream." He gently says to her while his left thumb strokes her arm to calm her down. It's the same voice he used to use to quell Leo's nightmares years ago, and it's highly effective on reducing hers as well. Her breaths become even deeper as her nightmares lift to pleasant dreams. The relief he's given her seems to lift his own soul. Ember Avest what potion have you given me? Fuegoleon thinks as he continues to reflect about the woman sleeping in his arms.

After a few hours of travel by moonlight the two knights finally made it to the half way point. A small inn in the countryside, surrounded by tato farms. Marx had set up the accommodations earlier stating that it was the only thing around for a while. So it was either staying at the inn or camping in the wilderness. Fuegoleon landed his lion right outside the nearest field and tried to rouse the medic from her deep sleep.

"Ember. We're here. You'll be more comfortable in a bed." But she doesn't wake from her slumber. He tries to peel her off of him in hopes the lack of warmth will cause her to wake. But her grip on his cape is too strong. The only way he's getting her off of him is if he takes off his cape all together. He tries to shake her again, but is met with no response. "Very well then." He says as he dematerialized the lion they're riding and catches her bridal style before she falls too far. "You're as hard to wake up as Dorothy Unsworth." He tells her carrying her into the inn. She seems to respond with a mumble and tiny snore. A sleepy innkeeper greets the two as he enters the inn.

"Ah Captain Vermillion. We've been expecting you." The innkeeper looks at the sleeping girl. "Is she okay?"

"Yes. It seems she's just a deep sleeper." He says slightly adjusting his grip on the woman.

"Ah yes, well we have your room ready for you. This way please."

"Room?" He asks at the use of a singular noun.

"Yes room." The innkeeper looks at him and then back at Ember. "Unless you are not sharing a room. We have you booked for the largest suite. Everything else is booked for the evening unfortunately. But I'm sure I could find something in the servants' quarters for her if need be." The innkeeper points at a small shack outside the inn. She'd probably be pissed at the idea of dropping her off in there while I'm in here, Marx why didn't you book two rooms? Did you forget? The lion thinks staring at the dilapidated building outside.

"No, that won't be necessary. Please proceed." The innkeeper bows deeply before grabbing the room key and heading to the suite. Once there Fuegoleon gently places the woman on the right side of the bed. He ends up having to take his cape off to disengage her tight grip. The suite is big to say the least. It's appears to be a honeymoon suite as the layout is open concept, minus the toilet (it's in a separate room). One end has a big king size bed with more pillows than the king of Clover could even ask for. Hardwood floors lead to a large soaker tub at the other end of the end of suite. The middle of the room is divided by two sofas and a coffee table.

"You must be tired from you're travels. Shall I draw you a bath and bring you dinner or will you be retiring for the night sir?" The inn keeper asks. Although Ember's dreams seemed to have died down, the mana flux she's giving off is currently preventing him from sleeping right away. I should really review the mission one more time anyways. So a bath shouldn't hurt. She's dead to the world anyways. I'll be surprised if she even wakes up by the morning Fuegoleon thinks.

"Dinner and a bath would be appreciated. Thank you." The mage says as he makes his way to the suite's balcony.

"As you wish sir." The innkeeper says as he draws the bath and proceeds to bring two meals for the knights. "If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask." He says before closing the door and leaving for the night. After eating his late dinner Fuegoleon looks back at the young woman on the bed. She's somehow rolled onto her stomach and buried her face into the pillows. It's surprising that she can get any oxygen at all with how many pillows cover her face. His cape acts as a blanket, which she still grips onto with one hand. Light snores can be heard from in between the pillows. She's definitely not going to wake up any time soon. Fuegoleon thinks before stripping down for a relaxing bath. 

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

11.3K 238 37
Hello Shimmy here . This is one of my first fanfic, thank you for reading it. It is a high school AU of black clover inspired by side stories of the...
5.6K 164 31
"I...I don't want to be alone anymore." His smile fell, his eyes blinking at me in confustion. I bite my lip feeling it tremble as I think about all...
932 33 33
Asta was living his normal life after the elf invasion and Zagred's (Word Soul Devil) Defeat. Until the Trial began..... WARNING *there may be a lot...
14.7K 579 55
This is a love story that unfolds during troubling times. Clover Kingdom facing threats from all around, but still two souls battle to merge themselv...