Crystal Clear

By kamie112

This is the first book in the 'Handle With Care' Series. You are fortunate to embark on the lives of three ve... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 38

Chapter 37

1.2K 22 7
By kamie112

Chapter 37

         Keith got a job at Macy's. He told me that he would have to work for his dad if he coudn't get a job. Luckily, a friend of Kaitlynn is the manager there and she gave Keith a job with the assistant manager position. They pay actually isn't that bad and he's been really comitted. He's been working there for almost 4 months now. So obviously the girls are getting much bigger now because they're four months old. They're clearly showing growth. I remember last friday, Claire made her first noise! I mean, it's not like she spoke, but that's really huge for us! And then Crystal started a couple days after. It was too cute and adorable. I'm not working, yet, but i want to. I just want to stay home with the girls. They're so precious to me and I love them so much. I want to raise them, not some other member of the family or some stranger that I'd have to pay. I want to be the face my girls see every morning. 

Ava left a couple days ago. She was just so miserable here. She never looked at the girls which was understandable, and she never went upstairs. She came upstairs only to eat. It was sad and I wanted to help her. Then she just decided to just go back home. She had called her mom and hugged me goodbye. It was sad for me because I didn't want to lose my friend again. 

Right now, I'm at home at the computer typing away. I've been working on getting my GED. I found this great website and I've been studying a lot. I'm sitting on the couch in the living room and the girls are in their playpen. They smile a lot, both of them, and it's like magic watching them grow everyday. Even though I have to focus on my work, it's really hard. It's not like they're perfect babies, they cry a lot and they still need my attention. I say that because Crystal started to cry then. I sigh and walk over to the playpen.

"It's okay sweetie, mommy's here." I say to her. I bounce her a little and she quiets down. My phone buzzes then and I see that I got a text message. It was from Chris.

Chris:     Hey, wats up?

Me:     Nothin, im just tryin 2 get a little work in for the day :/

Chris:     U got a job? 0.0

Me:     No Chris, its 4 the GED...

Chris:     Oh! how r the grls?

Me:     Fine i guess. Crystal's crying and I'm trying to calm her down and Claire's in the playpen.

Chris:     Oh, well, not to sound all sappy n stuff, but i miss u C... -.-

Me:     Aw!!! :D I miss u 2 C!!! <3

Chris:     ugh, >:l shut up alrite!? see? this is y i dnt say stuff like that!

Me:    Aw, u luuvvvv mee! :3

Chris:      :O Pft! yah okay! I was just txtng u 2 c if u wanna bring the grlz ovr so i cn see them. I been so busy n i havnt seen them since they were bronz

Me:      lol typo u loser....

Chris:     u knw wat i mean!

Me:      yeah, u havnt seen them since the last time they went tanning! lmao!!!!! XD

Chris:     ur so freakin immature...anyways...

Me:     its anyway....jeez i swear u need to get back to skool!:D

Chris:      .....ur an idiot....r u coming?

Me:      yup, on my way, c u soon

            I take Crystal and Claire up to their room to get them ready. I thought it would be kind of fun to be alone with the girls. But it's really hard. It's not like I can't handle it, but it's just so difficult. 

I finished dressing them, and I grabbed their bags as well. I still had to go downstairs and prepare bottles for them. I take my time walking downstairs with the girls screaming in my ear and go to finish preparing when the house phone rings. I'm so confused because I don't remember giving my number to anyone. If anyone needs to call me, they know my cell. I put the girls down and walk over the phone. The caller ID said out of area and I picked it up and answer.

"Hello? May I ask who's calling?" I say into the phone. My mom taught my brother and I to answer a phone like that.

"Good morning, Is this the residence of a Mr. Keith Remmingway?" A man says into the phone.

"Maybe, who is this?" I say as kindly as I can.

"May I ask who I'm speaking to?" The man says.

"Before I answer any of your questions, I need to know who i'm speaking to." I say.

"I apologize ma'am. I am officer Dawson of SAPD and I need to speak to Mr. Keith Remmingway as soon as possible. It is urgent." He says.

"Oh! Uh, I'm sorry officer but Keith isn't here. I'm his fiance though. He's the father of my children." I say quickly. Whatever it is that's going on,  I really want to know.

"Okay, well Ms. uh... you're name?" He says.

"Oh, Cara Mason." I say.

"Well, we've gotten a complaint from a Mr. Remmingway. It seems that his ex-wife appeared at his home this morning around 4am pelting large stones at the windows of his home."

"What!?" I yell. I look over at the girls who were crying very loud now. I walk over to them and pick up Claire. I rock her a bit and she quiets down. THe guy tells me that they took her in and she's been held there for a few hours. I ask if I can talk to her and after a few minutes, she's on the phone.

"Cara?" She says.

"Delilah, what were you thinking!?" I said worriedly. I put Claire's pacifier in her mouth and finish making the bottles.

"I know this sounds bad Cara but I had a good reason!" She says.

"This is really bad! I mean, throwing rocks at Mr. Remmingway's place!? That's not good! What could have possibly been your reason!?" I yell.

"Some men came to my house and told me I had to leave last night! He took the house Cara! I had no where else to go and I was so furious! They took everything that was mine and dumped it on the lawn!" She screams. I hear a man in the backround telling her to calm down.

"Look, I'll come and pick you up. But even though what he did was wrong, that's really dangerous! What if someone else got hurt!?" i say. She sighs and tells me she has to go. I hang up and get the girls and leave. Before I go, I text Chris saying I'm on my way but I have to make a stop first.

When I get to the police station, I have to take the girls inside with me. I couldn't leave them in the car alone, so I took them in their car seats. They were both asleep anyway. I finally get Delilah out and have to sign some papers. She imediately hugs me and then goes to play with the girls.

"Uh, not to be rude Delilah, but can you wash your hands before you touch them? Please?" I say. SHe sighs and walks over to the bathroom. It's so strange to see her in a police station! She's so small and petite and delicate looking. She isn't wearing her usual clothes. She's wearing sweats and a long scoop neck t-shirt. And her hairs up in a messy ponytail. If Keith saw her like this, he'd be beyond shocked. When she finished we walk back out to the car with the girls.

"I'm really sorry for this honey." She says.

"It's fine. Really, I was heading out anyway. And you really have to think before you do things like this." I say to her. She nods her head in agreement and I start the car.

"Do you want me to drop you off at home?" I ask.

"I can't go home If i have no home to go to." SHe says. I sigh and wait while the officers finish packing her things into my trunk.

"Well, I'm on my way to my brothers place. You can come if you want, or I can drop you off at my house?" I say.

"Well, I really wanted to spend time with the girls. But I'm really tired and I could use a shower." She tells me. When they finish I nod and pull off back toward my house. This would be waisting a lot of gas...

I pull up to the house and look at Delilah almost falling asleep.

"Delilah?"

"Oh, sorry honey. Are we here?" She says. I nod and sigh.

"Okay, so there's food in the fridge and you can sleep on my bed or you can go downstairs and sleep on the bed down there. If you need anything just call me. Do you want to take anything out now?" I ask.

"What do you mean? I can't stay here, like for more than today." She says.

"Why not? You have no where else to go, why not just stay here? I mean, we are family." I say. She nods in agreement and gets out the car. I pop open the trunk for her and she waves good-bye and goes into the house with a bunch of bags. As soon as I drive off the girls start crying.

We finally arrive at Chris' house and I was already exhausted.

"What happened?" Chris asked while bouncing Crystal on his lap.

"Delilah got arrested for throwing rocks at Mr. Remmingways house." I say tiredly.

"No way! Why would she do that!?" Becca asks while feeding Claire.

"He's taking everything he paid for from her, including the house.

"That's messed up..." Chris mumbles.

"I mean, it's not like she has anywhere left to go! She's a sad lonely heartbroken woman! He could have let her have the house if he was staying somewhere else!" Becca says.

"I agree...but she went a little far. I thought she was more civilized than that." I say.

"I would've done the same damn thing! Who does he think he is!?" Chris says. He hands Crystal to me and walks into the kitchen. I play with Crystal a little bit and then out her back into her car seat. I really needed a nap. 

"Hey, Becca, do you think you guys can watch the girls tonight? I'm really tired and I need to do a little more studying today." I say. Her face lights and and she starts smiling.

"Of course I can! I would love to have them both! Oh this is going to be so much fun!" She says. I laugh at her ignorance and shake my head.

"You only watched Claire once. It's not the same when it's both of them. Whenever Crystal cries, Claire cries. And it's two times the work." I tell her. 

"Oh no worries! I got this! And I have the rest of today and tomorrow off. Maybe I can watch them tomorrow too!" She says cheerfully. Chris comes back into the room with a cup of grape juice and hands it to me.

"So what's going on?" He asks. He sits down on the sofa and plays with Crystal's fingers.

"Cara's gonna let us watch the girls!" She says exitedly. 

"Aw, I wont be able to see them, I gotta head to work soon." He says.

"Well, I guess I could use a break tomorrow as well. Are you working tomorrow?" I ask Chris.

"I actually don't have to work tomorrow so that works!" He says happily. I smile and watch them play with the girls. Luckilly they bought a playpen for the girls so that there wouldn't be any problems when they go over. I start to get a little drowzy and decide to head home. I give them all the instructions of what to do with them and kiss the girls goodnight. I hug my brother and Becca and head home.

As I pull up to the house, I see Keith's car in the garage and notice a truck in the driveway. I smile and turn my keys in the lock of the front door and step inside. To my surprise, I see Caleb and Ashley sitting on my couch with their arms folded.

"Caleb?" I say. His head spins around and he stands. Ashlley gets up quickly and comes over to hug me.

"Omg Cara! I missed you so much!" She says while squeezing me. "And you lost so much weight!" She says.

"Yah, that's because I gave birth to twins Ashley. What are you guys doing here?" I say while looking over at Caleb. Right as he was about to speak, Keith walks into the room with two glasses of apple juice and hands them to them.

"They decided to stop by and see how you and the girls are doing." Keith says. He walks over to me and kisses my forehead. "How was your day babe?" He asks. I look up at him and give him and then look over at Caleb. He walks over to me and smiles.

"How are you? We haven't talked in a while." He says. I stare at him, not knowing what to say. Keith leaves the room and heads downstairs with a tray in his hand. Keith didn't seem upset and neither did Caleb. It was very surprising. 

"I'm sorry, come sit with me." I say. They follow me to the couch and they both sit on either side of me.

"So where are the babies!?" Ashley asks. I smile at her enthusiasm.

"I dropped them off at Chris' house. Him and Becca aren't working tomorrow and they really wanted to spend some time with them." I tell them.

"That's great, they're in good hands." Caleb says. I smile remembering his charm and gentleness. 

"Yah." Is all I say. he smiles and looks away. He looks towards the upstairs.

"Do you want to see the nursery?" I ask them. They both say yes and they follow me upstairs. I open the door and their faces lit up. They look around for a little bit and Ashley keeps mentioning how the room smells like babies. We laugh a lot and tell a few jokes, but then they had to leave.

"I have drivers ed tomorrow morning and I don't wanna miss it. So let's go Caleb!" She says. She gives me a tight hug and tells Caleb that she's downstairs in the truck. I turn around and Caleb is smiling at me.

"I miss you Cara..." He says softly. I see his eyes tear up and I feel a slight ping in my heart. He was good to me, he was there when I needed him. Caleb was a great boyfriend and there was never any drama.

"I'm sorry I never called, It's just so much is going on and-"

"Don't worry about it." He says cutting me off. I look up at him and see how angry he looks.

"You don't have to lie..." I mumble. His hands caught my shoulders annd he held me there and stared into my eyes.

"Cara, I love you! I always loved you. I wanted to be the father of your babies. How do you think I felt!?" He says.

"I'm sorry, I didn't think this-"

"Don't give any excuses! Deep down I knew you go back to him, I just didn't want to believe it. I was there for you Cara, not him!" He says louder. I try to pull away but he's too strong.

"Caleb, you're hurting me!" I yell. He lets me go immediately and sighs.

"You mean the world to me. I just thought you felt the same way I did. It feels as if you used me, as if you led me on until you were able to see him again!" He says angrilly. I stared at him in shock.

"You were so good to me. I loved every minute I spent with you and your sister. I didn't expect to end up with Keith again! It just happened. I never stopped loving him and you knew how I felt about him! I never used you Caleb, I was just hurting at the time and I needed someone who treated me right, that's exactly what you did."

"We would still be together If he wasn't in the picture!" He screamed. I was so shocked.

"Caleb!" I yell. He turns away from me with his fists clenched. After a second, he took a deep breath and spoke.

"A part of me knew that you would go back to him, but I just wanted to spend any time I had left with you. And I'll always be good to you Cara. Just because we're not together, doesn't mean we can't be...friends" He says. He turns around and smiles. It made me feel a little better. I couldn't stop him from being angry and I'm glad he calmed down. I wanted to be friends with him. I smile and hug him tightly. I look up at him and see his big brown eyes staring into mine. He meant what he was saying and I respected him for that. He's a really genuine guy and my girls would've loved him. But they would love their dad more, and I happened to love their dad more. I sigh and pull away.

"Thanks for stopping by Caleb. It was really nice to see you." I said, pulling off a very fake smile. He nods his head and kisses my forehead lightly. I watch him as he leaves the room and shake me head. I have to admit, I am still attracted to him and I care about him, but I'm not in love with him. And with him getting so angry like that, is kind of scary...

I look around the nursery and sigh. Yes they're still babies, but that doesn't mean I don't have to do laundry. I picked up all the clothes and balnkets that needed to be washed and put them in a hamper. As I walk out the room, I hear a loud scream and I drop the basket and run to wear I heared the scream. It was comming from downstairs in the living room. Once I got there, I saw Delilah bending over something one the ground. As I walked closer, I saw that It was Keith. I screamed myself and kneeled beside him. 

"What happened!? I yell.

"I- I don't know! Keith went upstairs to get you and I heard a loud noise!" She said. She started sobbing louder. His head was bleeding a lot and he was unconcious. I put my ear to his chest to see if he was breathing, and he was.

"Call an ambulance alright?"I yell. She gets up quickly and goes to find the phone.

"Keith!? Come on baby, get up!" I yell. After a few minutes, his eyes open. He starts coughing and I lift his head up a little and prop his head on a pillow.

"Go...get the...girls..." He whispers. I look at his face questioningly.

"What? Why? I need to stay here with you! And I cant-"

"Caleb..." Was the last thing he said before he passed out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

343 11 46
Love. Love is such a strong word. Love is something you feel for someone you truly care about. Right? So is love ever possible to feel for someone th...
118 11 9
All Maisie wants to do is surf and enjoy being young and single, that is until her best friends dies leaving her guardian of his 13 year old son. Now...
857 0 30
Todd is a senior in high school living with his older brother Seth in a small town called Coop Acres. Ever since the death of their parents in a car...
72.1K 2.4K 29
Sixteen year old Nova is ready to see what life has to offer. Her family isn't ready to let her go yet. Secrets beyond what Nova could imagine will b...