Unfathomable Phantom (COMPLET...

By ariksbell

"๐‹๐ข๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž ๐จ๐ง๐ž, ๐๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฉ๐ซ๐จ๐ฏ๐จ๐ค๐ž ๐ฆ๐ž. ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ก๐š๐ฏ๐ž ๐ง๐จ ๐ข๐๐ž๐š ๐ก๐จ๐ฐ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ง๐  ๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐š๐ข๏ฟฝ... More

Description
I. stupid victorian era
II. Dream boy
III. When and where is this?
IV. ain't a serialkiller
V. the heir
VI. inappropriate
VII. can we please stop meeting?
VIII. conceited to violent?
IX. do you want me to go down there?
X. fairy godmother
XI. Mr. Guevarra?
XII. please stop staring...
XIII. friendship over?
XIV. Douglas Bennett = Satan
XV. life outside the cage
XVI. what are you doing here, Augustus?
XVII. it's not a date
XVIII. the truce
XIX. misconception
XX. jealousy
XXI. Augustus to the rescue
XXII. You want me to buy what?
XXIII. Let it be known
XXIV. Dear readers, I made him angry
XXV. she as he?
XXVI. Spilling the tea
XXVII. "you're hot!"
XXVIII. me as a mother(?)
XXX. a day in hell
XXXI. a day in heaven
XXXII. Halloween party
XXXIII. wedding preparation
XXXIII.V. what happened to Leo?
XXXIV.the wedding
XXXV. the escape
XXXVI. the confrontation
XXXVII. the consequences
XXVIII. runaway
XXXIX. Leo tried to what?
XXXX. a Finley, Finally
epilogue

XXIX. the proposal

1.4K 84 31
By ariksbell

After half a minute, I am greeted by the very familiar door and I don't have to knock twice before it opens.

Right after the door flew open, a very serious unfamiliar man stood right in front of me, wearing a black suit. A man in his middle thirties, I can tell.

He looked at me from head to toe and suddenly, I felt ashamed of my muddy clothing. I should've gone straight to my room first and changed into something decent. Forget that I still haven't washed my maid uniforms since I am on a day-off.

The man did not open his lips, he just stared at me, he then went to the dark corner.

"Sit down," exclaimed a very familiar authoritative voice that made me forget about the intimidating man who opened the door.

I hurriedly walked towards the chair near him and sat, I bit my inner cheek as I waited for Mr. Douglas to speak.

Mr. Douglas was, as usual, sitting on his black leather chair. He opened his drawer, fished for tobacco and lit it, smoking right in front of me as I forced myself not to cough.

The whole time, I was just staring at me, pretending not to be really nervous. Mr. Douglas raised his brow at my clothing but chose not to say a word about it which I guess is good.

"I've known you for a while now, Miss Wright," spoked Mr. Douglas after inhaling his tobacco.

I just nod at him because I don't know what to say, I swear.

"I have one simple request, Miss Wright. Well, let's just view it as a marvelous present to your side,"

My hands are now beginning to sweat.

"You see, my son has been asking me about you and of course, as a good father, I cannot help myself but to grant him his request but first, I've hired someone to investigate about you,"

I don't know why but I have a very bad feeling about this.

Mr. Douglas then opened his drawer once again and there he had a piece of paper in which he placed it on top of his desk.

I cannot read it from my spot but I don't need to since as soon as I tried to read it, Mr. Douglas read it aloud.

"Let's see, I was born and raised in a very poor orphanage in the province. Has a little background in education. Father was a mere farmer while your mother was a factory worker. Poor you, child. Had no known relatives. At age 15, escaped from the orphanage to go straight to London to work. Alternately sells newspapers and gums and works at the wax factory for a while until you almost got fooled into working like a damn prostitute at age 17 and then, for some reason, someone in my household whom I don't know who hired you,"

Oh wow, so, that's my biography in this era?

"That explains why you are bad at cleaning," commented Mr. Douglas.

But wait, what did Augustus request from his father and why did Mr. Douglas need to check my background? Had I been too suspicious?

"To be frank, when my son requested me to please allow him to marry you, I laughed at first and was furious when I realized he was not kidding. I see nothing special about you, well, perhaps your looks but wealth is what keeps us on top. I was enraged when I learned this pathetic background of yours, imagine the shame you'll bring to my family but since Augustus will refuse to take the family business when he did not marry you, I had no choice but to grant his stupid request."

Wait, what? Marry his son?

My eyes totally went wide as soon as I heard him.

"Surely, you're mistaken here, Mister Douglas. Your son and I are not in a romantic stage or whatsoever," I argued as soon as he finished talking.

Mister Douglas raised his brow and tapped the desk which intimidates me more, "I am not stupid, child,"

"W-well, I did not say you are stupid, Sir. I just implied that there's no way you're so-" I didn't get a chance to finish talking when he punched the desk, his brows meeting.

There was a long silence between us. Mister Douglas just stared at me as he smoked his damn tobacco and as I sweat to death.

"What do you want me to do, Sir?"

"Marry my son. Simple." He replied as if everything here is under control.

"b-but-" again, he punched his desk hard as if the desk is made up of paper and that didn't hurt.

"Imagine the life you'll experience, Miss Wright. Don't you want this? No more cleaning. No more ugly clothing like that. Imagine the golden life you'll have when you marry my son," he insisted.

"I cannot be pursued by wealth, Sir. I am okay with this kind of life,"

I mean, when I got transported in this era, I never thought I'd get a marriage proposal. I just thought I am going to murder this man right in front of me.

If I kill this man right in front of me? Like, right now?

"This is not a request, child," mister Douglas angrily replied.

"What do you mean this is not a request? What? You'll force me to marry your son with whom I do not share any romantic feelings?"

I seriously don't know where I got the strength to say such things like this. I can tell Mister Douglas was shook as well but that all dissolve so fast to the point I can pretty much say he is furious right now.

Douglas rose from his seat and clapped twice and I don't know what happened.everything happened so fast because right in front of me is Miss Dolores.

I haven't seen her for a while and her hair is a mess and so is her clothing. She is tied in a chair pushed by the scary man who opened the door a while ago.

Miss Dolores' mouth is covered with clothing and so are her eyes but Mister Douglas nods right to the strange man and the man removes Miss Dolores' blindfolds.

Miss Dolores looked straight into my eyes. She has been crying, I can tell and I know she badly wants to say something to me.

As I said, I have a very bad feeling about this. The next thing I know, the strange man fished a gun from his pocket and shot her. And just like that, Miss Dolores is dead.

At first, the sound of the gun didn't register to me but after a few seconds, the sight of Miss Dolores' lifeless body and blood made me cry and scream.

"No!" I screamed as I rushed towards her but I did not get the chance to hold her when the man pointed the gun to my head.

That made me stop crying for a while, that made me forced myself to shut up.

I just stared at Miss Dolores and at the hole in her head and till now, her eyes are wide open. I just can't digest this horrid sight.

Miss Dolores is dead. Now what? How can I go back to the present times? To Grandpa? Am I stuck here? Will I die here?

Mister Douglas grabbed my collar, forcing me to stand up in which I slowly did but my eyes still glued to Miss Dolores.

"I don't even know why you're crying. She is just the housekeeper of this house, that's all but don't you worry, Misses Jones will replace this worthless bitch," said Mister Douglas.

" Why do you need to kill her?" I screamed at him. My fingers gripping my muddy gown.

The strange man then pointed the gun to my head once again but this time, I stared back at him and raised my middle finger but I can tell he doesn't know what that means since we are in the Victorian Era.

"You do not have the rights to scream at me and questioned me, you stupid child. Besides, I am getting bored at the sight of her," replied Mister Douglas as he let go of my collar and walked around me.

The only sound that can be heard is my soft cries and Mister Douglas' loud footfalls.

He then looked at the strange man and nodded, the man then pushed Miss Dolores somewhere dark.

Will they bury her somewhere decent?

"Don't worry, the sharks will enjoy her," commented Mister Douglas as soon as the only evidence of the murder a while ago was the blood of Miss Dolores on his office floor.

"Now, will you do as I said a while ago?"

About marrying his son? damn him!

I forced myself to look fierce as my way of saying that I will still not do it.

"Damn you!" I screamed once again.

Mister Douglas then kneeled right before me and stared at me, the next thing I know, he punched me really hard in the stomach that made me let out a loud cry.

He then rose and nodded at the strange man once again, and right in front of me was Martha.

Despite the sack covered in her head, I can still recognize her.

No wonder Mister Douglas asked me about Martha ages ago. She's gonna use Martha as a weapon to manipulate me.

"Surely, you know this person," exclaimed Mister Douglas as he circled me.

The strange man then pointed a gun to Martha's head, waiting for Mister Douglas' signal.

"Now, will you do as I said or will you continue being hard headed and let this woman die? As far as I remember, this woman treated you as her daughter. Now, don't tell me you'll just let her die? What an evil child, you are,"

Mister Douglas then released a demonic laugh and brought goosebumps to me.

I stared at Martha. The strange man then removed the sack in her head and I was faced with Martha's unconscious body but still, they tied her with ropes in a chair.

"Think about this woman's poor children that won't be able to eat when she dies. Will you let them starve to death?"

"and all for what? Because you are too selfish to marry my son and because you are fine with living as a lowly maid? Come on!"

I just stared at Martha, thinking about all the good things she'd done to me. She had been the mother I never had and of course, I won't let her die.

"O-okay. I will marry your son," I stuttered, my hands trembling as I wiped my tears.

As soon as I said that, Mister Douglas nodded to the strange man and the man pushed Martha right to the other side of the room.

Mister Douglas then grabbed his stick on his desk. He used it to point my chin, making me look up to him as he said, "My son will propose to you later tonight,"

"one more thing, this stays between us. My son knows nothing about this. When I learned that you told him about this little agreement of ours, not only will I murder Martha's family, I will also send you to the pleasure house since that is where you truly belong,"

"Don't even think about telling this about your friend soldier because I swear to God, I will murder him as well,"

And with that, he hit me thrice with his wooden stick and left the room as I let my tears fall.

"Say no and I swear to God, I will brutally murder Martha's family and we wouldn't want Martha to loathe you, right?"

After a minute, three maids entered the room and helped me stand up as I cried and cried.

They led me to a room and undressed me and I didn't bother objecting because I know, this is part of Mister Douglas' plan.

As the maids bathe me, I just let my tears fall. As I mourn for Miss Dolores. I have to admit, I've known Miss Dolores my whole life. I am not particularly fond of her but truth be told, she is still like a family to me. She was there when I was a mere baby, a raging adolescent when I got my first period. She was there and now, she is dead and that is all because of me.

Because I was too stupid to figure out why I need to kill Mister Douglas and too coward to murder him the first time I saw him ages ago. Damn it! I've been here for almost a year and yet, I still haven't made any progress.

After bathing me, the maids changed me into a fancy black gown. Great, because I am mourning.

The gown is too revealing for me. My shoulders and arms are bare which is a big no-no for my Victorian taste. It shows too much skin though I am in love with its golden embroidery.

The shoes that they forced me to wear is also a huge no-no for me. Added fancy shining jewelry to me.

The whole time, I just closed my eyes as they changed me into this daring gown in which I would never wear if I were given a choice. The maids then brushed my black hair and placed jewels here and there that just hurt my scalp.

Since we are in the Victoria era, they didn't bother putting makeup on me. They just pinched my cheeks, a bit too hard, if you ask me.

When I opened my eyes, that's when I realized the maids who are helping me look presentable are looking angrily at me. Perhaps they are angry and confused about why a maid like me is getting a makeover. Great!

What will the guests think later? That I am a slut? Well, at least for these maids I am since how in the hell would I receive a makeover?

And what am I supposed to tell Leo about this whole thing? That oh, I kissed the tip of your nose a while ago and had spent amazing months with you but no, I am marrying your friend.

I was so lost in thoughts to the point I didn't realize I am now walking downstairs, entering the ball.

I cannot help myself from releasing a soft scream when someone held my shoulder hard and that's when I saw Leo, dressed in a very beautiful black suit. Not wearing his usual black tophat and instead, his hair is combed perfectly and I can tell gel is applied.

To be frank, I am mesmerized by his handsome face to the point I can tell my face is red right now but that quickly dissolved when I realized Leo is angry at me.

I just bit the inside of my cheek as I waited for him to say something. I can tell he is inspecting how I look tonight.

Leo then massaged his temple, "Don't get me wrong, Clem, you look beautiful tonight but there's no way am I gonna let you go out there wearing that."

Leo's brows are furrowed. "What are you thinking? Choosing a revealing gown like this." Leo then looked me straight in the eye, the concern evident in his eyes and placed both his hands on my shoulders, "Go change your clothes, Clem. No way in a million years will you wear that,"

The whole time, I was just staring at him, my heart beating so fast as I realized I have no future with this guy.

That I am marrying his friend.

Will Leo go back to the barracks as soon as he realizes I am marrying his friend? Will he get angry at me? What?

I was about to open my mouth and tell him what happened a while ago, to ask for his help when suddenly, someone held my hand, forcing me to shift my attention from Leo to him.

And there stood Augustus, the man I am going to marry. He circled his hand around my waist. He bent down and whispered, "you look lovely, darling," right in front of Leo.

Leo was surprised at what happened but was angry the second he realized what was happening in front of him. I can tell he was about to say something when Augustus just nodded at him and led me to the ball, his hand still encircled around my waist.

And with that, Leo is out of my sight.

At the ball, Augustus was just introducing me to countless guests. As I stood beside him, they talked about the business world and whatsoever. Tell you the truth, I have no interest in this kind of life.

Back in the present times, whenever Grandpa forced me to attend some party, I was the girl who was always at the corner. Reading and eating chips as I wait for us to go home.

When I tried socializing, a boy tried to kiss me because he thinks I am interested in him. Dear Lord!

And like before, I badly want to go home and sleep, pretending that everything that happened a while ago at Mister Douglas' office was nothing but a nightmare.

That Miss Dolores is still alive and that Martha is still safe. I wonder where Martha might be right now. I hope she won't get angry at me for what happened even though she has the right to.

And speaking of Mister Douglas, I kept catching him looking at me at the ball, raising his brow.

The whole time that Augustus was talking to the guest as I stood beside him like his trophy or whatsoever, I let my eyes wander around the room.

That's when I saw Leo in the corner. His hands inside his pockets I knew he was angry or at least not happy at what is happening right now.

When he caught me staring at him, he raised his brow and looked at me from head to toe and shook his head, a way of saying he does not agree at what I am wearing.

Perhaps he is confused at why I am suddenly at Augustus' side. I really can't blame him if he is angry right now.

I would be furious as well when suddenly, he brought a woman over and she stayed by his side. I pray that won't happen.

Suddenly, A small band began to play lovely music and the guests began walking towards the center of the room to dance.

Augustus then tapped me in the back, whispered to me the words, "Shall we dance?"

I don't know why but I looked at Leo first and there I saw him looking at us, emotionless as he taps his drink.

I forced myself to not pay attention to him. I nod at Augustus and there I felt him guide me to the dancefloor.

The whole time that Augustus and I were dancing, I was staring at Leo as he stared at me back.

I am afraid of what will happen tonight. Of what Leo's reaction will be when Augustus proposes later.

"Did I tell you already that you look gorgeous tonight?" Commented Augustus.

I just nod at him.

"Have you seen all the guests looking at you? I bet they're all jealous you're beside me," he added and I just smiled at him.

"Are you okay?" Asks Augustus, looking down at me.

"Ye-yes, Mister Augustus," I answered, biting the inside of my cheek.

"Oh, please. Haven't I told you already for so many times to please refrain from calling me, Mister Augustus? Anything would be fine but that,"

Then I'll call you the demon's son.

"Augustus is okay," I replied, forcing myself to smile.

"You see, Clementine. I am meaning to ask you something," murmured Augustus as we kept dancing to the music.

"Go ahead," I replied.

"Remember the time I asked you for one wish?"

Don't tell me he's gonna use that to make me marry him. No need since his father already forced me to.

"Of course I do,"

"I was just wondering if I could use that now?"

I knew it!

Suddenly, Augustus let go of me and kneeled before me and just like that, the music stopped. The couples dancing around us stopped as well and so did the guests. Everything is waiting for what will happen next.

Leo and I had eye contact and I can tell he was shocked, he rose from his seat. Gripping his glass hard.

Augustus fished a tiny velvet box from his pocket, opened it and asked, "Miss Wright, will you do the honor of marrying me?"

Everyone in the room is waiting for my reply. For my answer.

I badly want to say no since I am still not ready to marry him. I am only 18 for Christ's sake. I get it, back in the Victorian Era, everyone gets to marry at such a young age but come on, 18 is just so young!

I know it is not about age but I am still not ready! Let alone to give birth since I know that is what Mister Douglas wants. For him to have a grandchild.

Speaking of the devil, there he stood at the corner of the room, raising his brow.

I looked at Leo once again, he too was waiting for my answer, "Clementine?" Said, Augustus.

I forced myself to turn my attention back to him and Augustus is still kneeling, it is the first time I saw him sweating a little, unlike Leo who is always sweating.

Oh for Christ's sake, why am I thinking of Leo in the middle of a proposal.

"It would be an honor to marry you," I answered, making my voice sound so cheerful.

With that, Augustus stood and hugged me while I was still stiff.

He let go and held my hand, inserting a very beautiful diamond ring to my finger as the people around us cheered and congratulated us.

After that, Augustus held both my cheeks, stared at me, "Thank you for granting my wish," murmured Augustus.

I didn't get the chance to reply when Augustus kissed me right in front of everybody.

It was my first time being kissed while I am conscious. My first time was also with

Augustus and I were unconscious. The only similarity is the fact that I don't like being kissed by this person.

I remained stiff as Augustus kissed me and as his hands encircled around my waist. His eyes closed while my eyes wandered around the room and there I saw Leo, his brows meeting.

As soon as the kiss ended, I saw Leo exiting the room, a whole bottle of wine in his hand.

With that, the music continued and the guests greeted us, congratulating us as Augustus happily thanked them, his hand still encircled around my waist.

My eyes kept running around the room, looking for Leo, to tell him that I don't like any of this.

Looking at the diamond ring wrapped around my finger, I realized that the fancy life really isn't for me. The sight of a diamond ring doesn't spark joy.

I bet this diamond is really expensive, based on its shine.

The whole night, I was just with Augustus, dancing here and there and chatting with the guests.

By the time, half the guests left the manor, I excused myself from the ball and told Augustus I will be heading to the bed.

"Goodnight, darling," murmured Augustus and as I was about to exit, he grabbed my hand and kissed me hard once again, taking me by surprise.

Once again, I did not reply to his kiss, he probably didn't notice it.

I left the room slowly because I am really tired of what happened. Till now, I still haven't digested the twists.

As soon as I was near my room and was totally sure no one was staring at me, I removed my shoes and now, I am walking barefoot.

I stopped on my track as soon as I saw a familiar figure standing outside my door. His arms crossed.

"What are you doing here?" I asked Leo whose hair was messy and his tie undone.

"What the hell happened back then?" Leo exclaimed, not answering my question.

I stared at him, I can tell he is drunk because he smells and his face is reddish.

I almost screamed when Leo grabbed my hand and began to walk, dragging me with him.

The next thing I know, I am already inside his room and what's shocking is that we are in his bed and we just sat there as he circled his arms around me.

We were silent for a while and I was surprised when he began to cry and for some reason, I began to cry as well. We must've looked really stupid, us, crying in the middle of the night.

I let my head fall into his shoulder as I hugged him back and as I let my fingers travel around his hair.

"What happened back there?" Leo asked again, hugging me harder.

Leo then let go of me, rubs my cheeks using his thumb and stared at me, waiting for my answer.

And that's it. One look at his face and I knew I had to tell him everything about what happened a while ago but I am afraid. Afraid that if I let Leo get into this, he'll be in huge trouble. I won't let anything bad happen to him.

After all, Mister Douglas threatened to kill Leo if I let him know about our agreement.

"I can't tell you," I cried as I covered my face.

"you need to," Leo placed his hands on top of my hands.

"But you'll get in trouble," Leo then removed my hands and placed his hands on my face and forced me to look at him.

Leo smoothens my messy hair and runs his thumb around my brows, "Shhh, don't worry, I can protect myself. It's you who needs protection so tell me, I beg you, Clem, tell me what really happened back there. Please,"

I bit my lips as I stared into his eyes, and suddenly, I found comfort and security. Right here, right in his arms, in his side, I know I am safe.

"Mi-mister Douglas forced me to marry Augustus. He told me he'll murder Martha's family if I refused Leo's proposal," I confessed.

Leo then messaged his temple due to frustration, "Why did you believe him?"

I let my tears fall as I answered, "He killed Miss Dolores right in front of me before he threatened me to kill Martha's family, okay?"

With that, Leo wrapped his arms around me tight in which I returned.

"I am sorry you have to see that," he whispered.

"di-did he hurt you?" Leo then began to touch me in my arms, perhaps looking for some bruise.

I don't need to tell him Mister Douglas hit me with his stick.

"No. He just threatened to murder Martha's family if I said no and now I am stuck with Augustus,"

After a minute, he let go of me and stared right into my face. His thumb is running around my face, tracing my freckles.

His eyes then went to my lips in which he also traced. "He kissed you,"

"I don't want to marry Augustus, believe me," I whispered as I placed my hands to his cheeks as well.

"I know. I'll find a way to solve this," Leo assured me.

I hugged him as a reply, as my way of saying that I truly trust him.

Leo hugged me back as we both lay in his bed, our arms wrapped around each other.

We continued to stare at each other.

"What if Augustus forced himself on me?" I whispered.

"Then I'll murder him," he answered, his grip hardening.

"I'm serious, Leo and besides, Augustus doesn't know a thing about my agreement with his father."

I may not have romantic feelings with Augustus but that doesn't mean I want him murdered.

"I promised I will always be at your side to protect you,"

With that, I cannot help myself from loosening my hug a little to kiss the tip of his nose.

"What are you, five? Why the tip of the nose?" Leo chuckled, he then brushed his fingers through my hair.

And since I am blushing, I did not answer him. Instead, I just hugged him harder and hid against his chest. I can still smell alcohol in him but he doesn't seem drunk.

It's getting late, I wonder if the guests are now gone and if so, will Augustus come upstairs and look for me?

"Go ahead and sleep, Clem. I'll transfer you to your room later after the guests leave and after Augustus is asleep. For now, sleep. You're safe here," assured Leo as he kept combing my hair.

"I'll just talk to Augustus about your room arrangement later and I will also talk to Martha about what happened a while ago," added Leo.

I just nodded at him and smiled, hugging me.

With that, I am fast asleep.

I am awakened by a soft poke in my arm, I slowly open my eyes and there beside me is Leo, kneeling before me.

"I have something to tell you, Clem. Martha went to her family as soon as Mister Douglas released her a while ago but don't worry, she is now safe. Also, I talked to Augustus about your sleeping arrangement. He agreed to have separate rooms with you though it's harder to convince him now that he's afraid you'll be lonely considering Martha left,"

That is, indeed, good news though I pray that Martha is not angry at me. I pray for her and her family's safety.

Speaking of rooms, can I just stay here forever?

As soon as I heard Leo's good news, I lightly tugged his hand, gesturing to him to sleep beside me.

I hid against his chest as he circled his arms around me, rubbing my back as he covered us both with his warm white blanket.   The last thing I heard was Leo's chuckle.

At that moment, I knew I'll miss Leo when I left this era. For almost a year, I've been with Leo and I just can't imagine a day in the future waking up in the morning, realizing I left him in this era.

At that moment, I know I'll miss him when this is all over.

--

Guys, sorry it took so long for me to upload. I promise I'll try writing a new chapter tomorrow. All I ever wanted to do these past few days was to sleep. Sorry. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.4K 595 32
A psycho handsome billionaire mafia Zarkhan gets obsessed over an innocent high school girl. Kidnapped her, forcing her to be his.
210K 17.4K 83
In her last year studying to be a doctor, the young beauty stumbles upon someone who would change her life in the most unexpected ways...whether thro...
192 22 17
Waking up without your memories is scary enough as is. Finding out your husband may be why you were in the hospital in the first place only complicat...
19.2K 975 38
A dark, unconventional romance with a thin layer of sweetness iced on top. Not your typical love story. โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ เฑจเงŽ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โฅ ๐‹๐Ž๐”๐ˆ๐’๐€ ๐๐€๐‹๏ฟฝ...