Leave A Scar (Fullmetal Alche...

By MeaghanKalena

AU. After the defeat of Father, Ed and Al fail to get their bodies restored. They're still searching, but wit... More

Reunion
Central City
Coming Home
Capturing It
Blind
Red Light
Revealed, Part I
Ice Cream
Dublith
Stopping and Stalling
Revealed, Part II
Absence & Presence
Down This Same Road Again
Playing Speculation
Shadows Against Moonlight
The Games We Play
Warmth of the Sun
Here We Go
Days Like These
Here We Are
Fragments
Happy Birthday, Ed
With Rest
Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray
Balancing the Scales
Within Pages, Part I
Together, Part I
A Helping Hand (Or Two)
For Our Lives
As You Wish
With Time
Nothing More
Within Pages, Part II
Haunting
Lips of a Ghost
The Day I Regret
Equations
Re-Stitching
Hands of Time
Here
Infinity
Promise
Royalty
Rain
After Rain/Shell of Someone Unknown
Together, Part II
Equivalency
Impatient Like a Flower
Sketching Strokes
A Man's Answer
Rush Valley
Broken Parts
Between Sand and Stone
The Bright Lights of the Northern Train
Snow[flake]
Thirst
Just Below the Surface
Miracles On 5th Street
I'll Follow You
Resembool, Part I
Resembool, Part II
Departure
Digest
Fixing What Breaks
A Harsh Lesson; A Painful Truth
Revealed, Part III
Retrace
Answers
With The Sun, We Rise
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Breath[e]
Revival
One Last Promise
Coming Home, Part II
Epilogue: To You, My Last Ex

Reunion, Part II

80 6 0
By MeaghanKalena

_____________

The sound of a heartbeat is an amazing thing. How it shows each palpitation with spikes of a flatline. I spoke to Edward and Winry about this, as we patiently waited for Alphonse to regain his strength.

Ed just sat there beside her, eyes focused but searching the floor. I'd never felt so helpless

I tried something; I caught his attention with the sound of his name. He perked up, golden hook of his hair standing a little at attention.

I asked him what the last thing he remembered was. And he told me something surprising.

"Putting my hands on the transmutation circle, the one to bring back my mom." His eyes squinted. "Why do you care, anyway?"

I didn't have an answer. I couldn't say how we were engaged, how much my heart yearned for his presence.

I just waited; sometimes, it's all you can do.

_____________

After a few days of sleep, Alphonse Elric awoke. With bleary eyes, he smiled, and... for the first time, I saw him. No longer a mask, no longer a helmet or a suit... he was human.

I stepped forward, and his arms embraced me as mine embraced him. He hugged me, weak muscles somehow still so strong. He hugged me, and when I was done, Ed took my place.

Winry joined soon after, and just like that, we were family.

I smiled, tears in my eyes as I pulled away.

"Let's go fill you up."

Alphonse grinned, and as he slipped out of bed, he told us how tired he was of hospital food. Even if it was ediable, it didn't mean it was good.

We all laughed at that, and another journey began.

_____________

We traveled for days, and it was just like old times. Us in one booth, tracks below and sky above. And when sunset bled into darkness, I wasn't scared. When we were all in one room, moonlight shining between Ed and me, I wasn't scared.

I was worried for that brilliant brain of his, my own constantly tumbling around with the question of how to trigger memories. I had no experience with memory loss, despite my previous desire for it.

I yearned for a touch I may never get again.

But things have a way of changing, and like evolution tells us, we all get better overtime. Even the worst of us grow, in some way.

_____________

I spoke most days, telling Ed small stories of our travels. And gradually, that brain of began to piece together a ghost of a puzzle.

He asked more questions, as time stretched on. And as train tracks led us to the East, we spoke of going further.

They had both grown strong, in a few week's time. And I knew it was on Al's mind; I knew he wanted the train tracks to turn into Xing streets.

So, I spoke to both of them, my voice light as I looked out the window, looking at the passing blur of trees and travelers.

"We should travel," I said, turning my stare to Al. "I've always wanted to go to Xing."

And Al smiled wide, eyes curving.

"That's a great idea, Mirah!" He flexed one arm, his right bicep. "I'm feeling a lot better than when we started, too!"

"That's great!" I said. "I'm so glad!"

And just like before, Al was first to suggest we call.

"I would be the one to talk," he began, a small drop of sweat breaking out on his temple, "but he'd notice my voice has changed..."

I picked up the phone and dialed the number Al recited to me. It was... strange; here we had a boy with a new body, and another man with a new brain.

Things are strange, sometimes.

As the dial tone buzzed, I briefly glanced back to Edward, my own heart skipping a beat, when I saw him smile at me like that. A soft, small smile. An adoring one.

I guess some things never change.

I was transferred to Ling, and my first white lie began.

I fibbed, saying how we had caught some news way West.

Like, way West.

"Creta?" Ling echoed. "But my dear, that's a continent and one away! So much distance is between us already."

I couldn't hold down my blush, and I glanced to Ed. He wore a quiet smile, one that told me he was hiding whatever jealousy he felt. Like a gloved hand picking at a fraying table.

"Ed, well, he..." The words lodged themselves in my throat, refusing to be spoken.

Ling will see. I told myself as my teeth and tongue offered some excuse for the pause my brain gave. May will, too.

"Ed's very excited about the trip!" I began cheerily, expanding my first lie in a long time. "He really thinks the traveling will pay off. We're catching up with Ed and Al's father, too."

"Oh, my. It seems like such a dangerous mission, I'm sure! I would offer bodyguards to come to your assistance, my dear, but something tells me you can hold your own."

Especially with darkness as my light.

I just faked a laugh, something that grew to be genuine, in time.

_____________

I opened up more than usual, when we boarded the first train to Xing. I told the Elrics how I'd always wanted to go. How my parents were Xing—or at least my mother was.

And Ed accepted it all with a nod and a smile. I still hadn't told him of our nights together, unsure how to say something so intimate in such a public setting. Friends and family surrounding us.

I hadn't told him that part, yet.

_____________

As our cemented train tracks crossed the desert, Ed grew quiet.

It was a little rare for him, especially as of late. But then, turning away from the window to look into my eyes, he asked a simple question.

"What... did my last sketch look like?"

I handed him the book with a smile, those pages only sending good, light energy. No longer the darkness I had once felt.

Those pages were filled with memories. Nothing more, nothing less.

For the first time in a lifetime, Ed opened my sketchbook again. Something about the phone conversation had inspired him. So, after taking in that last sketch, he opened to a new page, and began drawing again.

I could tell his movements were slow, each stroke carefully considered just as his first sketch was.

He would become confident, in time. A smile on his face as he traced the reflection of someone he was coming to re-know.

Someone he was hopefully coming to re-love.

Of that, I could hope.

_____________

Xing was an amazing country, but I figured we could all sightsee after surprising May and Ling.

They recognized Edward instantly, the guards of Ling's palace. And with just a few words, we were moving again. We were led into the emperor's main room, immediately seeing a throne with... well, with quite a few female assistants.

I blushed at their lack of outfits, my stare going to the Emperor, finally put a face to Ling's name. He was handsome, but my heart skipped back, pointing me in the right direction. In the direction of a grinning Alchemist as he was tackled by May and... was that a panda?

He knew about them. About all of them, and the ringing laughter that came from Alphonse just blew the air from my lungs. Tears stung my eyes, and I thanked Truth. I thanked every bit of that white void because it brought so many of us together. Strings that would never separate, no matter how tangled they became.

Strings that would always be here; a constant connection.

I thanked all our struggles because it led to the greatest accomplishments. I thanked every little bit, and it was enough to fill my heart.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114 2 25
Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist, is back in action after his revival. Having gained the power of the philosopher's stone and acquiring an immen...
20.7K 436 50
Something goes horribly wrong when Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist, goes to the Gate of Truth. He gets transported, with his childhood friend W...
9.2K 429 31
The world where I am born is cruel. My country, this so small country, Amestris, is leaded by war, in hope peace would come one day. My first friends...
93.8K 3.1K 40
Psst....yeah you, should check out my story. May be to your fancy 😁 -I don't own the characters or the pictures- Beware there may-CORRECTION- will b...