Leave A Scar (Fullmetal Alche...

By MeaghanKalena

AU. After the defeat of Father, Ed and Al fail to get their bodies restored. They're still searching, but wit... More

Reunion
Central City
Coming Home
Capturing It
Blind
Red Light
Revealed, Part I
Ice Cream
Dublith
Stopping and Stalling
Revealed, Part II
Absence & Presence
Down This Same Road Again
Playing Speculation
Shadows Against Moonlight
The Games We Play
Warmth of the Sun
Here We Go
Days Like These
Here We Are
Fragments
Happy Birthday, Ed
With Rest
Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray
Balancing the Scales
Within Pages, Part I
Together, Part I
A Helping Hand (Or Two)
For Our Lives
As You Wish
With Time
Nothing More
Within Pages, Part II
Haunting
Lips of a Ghost
The Day I Regret
Equations
Re-Stitching
Hands of Time
Here
Infinity
Promise
Royalty
Rain
After Rain/Shell of Someone Unknown
Together, Part II
Equivalency
Impatient Like a Flower
Sketching Strokes
A Man's Answer
Rush Valley
Broken Parts
Between Sand and Stone
The Bright Lights of the Northern Train
Snow[flake]
Thirst
Just Below the Surface
I'll Follow You
Resembool, Part I
Resembool, Part II
Departure
Digest
Fixing What Breaks
A Harsh Lesson; A Painful Truth
Revealed, Part III
Retrace
Answers
With The Sun, We Rise
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Breath[e]
Revival
Reunion, Part II
One Last Promise
Coming Home, Part II
Epilogue: To You, My Last Ex

Miracles On 5th Street

73 6 1
By MeaghanKalena

Ed's hands drew closer, the electricity snapping between his hands and his brother's body.

I could only hope... I could only begin to pray...

At Ed's word, I removed my hands, his own fingertips touching Al at the same moment.

Red light faded to blue, and the snarl sank down, becoming a flat piece of Al's armor.

I let out the breath I'd been holding as Al filled the silence.

"It worked..."

Ed laughed, rocking back onto his knees, throwing his head up to the sky. "Of course it worked, you lug! You really think I'd do something without being 100% sure it'd work?"

Al's eyes shrunk immediately, suit shaking with a light nervousness. "Um, yeah..."

Ed pffted, a light playful scoff sliding from his mouth as he stood up, hands shoving into his pockets as his stare turned away. "Some grateful brother you are..."

Al just laughed, that sound bringing a smile to my face as well. His giant hand outstretched, holding onto Ed's and allowing his body to stand on solid ground once again.

"So..." Al glanced to himself, helmet clicking at the action. "Are we gonna talk about what just happened, or...?"

Ed grinned. "What're you talking about? Nothing abnormal happened at all! You feelin' okay, Al?"

I tried to hold down a grin, having to push my knuckles against my mouth and now myself forward to hide my face from Al. I could still see his stare burned into my memory, hands hanging in defeat by his sides, eyes half-ovals and completely but subtly fed up with his brother.

"Oh, wait," Ed's voice was directed at me, and I tried to shake my head, get the focus off of me because I didn't want them to know how hard I was trying not to laugh. "Are we not doing the jokes anymore? Okay"—With a smaller laugh, he relaxed, and when I risked opening my eyes again, his head was tilting to the side, a small grin on his face.

"So I tested out a theory I had," he said, and then playfully pivoted away from Al, pinched lips adding, "That was totally bulletproof, I might add."

Al just put his hand to his face, eyes vanishing in pure disappointment.

"Are you just relieved it worked, or...?"

"Yeah," Ed replied, "Probably! I feel great right now, actually."

His hand came to the side of his face, eyes widening a little in thought. "What was I talkin' about? Oh, yeah! The thing we just did."

He grew serious again, attention turning to me.

"So, I've had this theory that my energy—whatever makes it red like that—can be counteracted. That it just takes the right balance of something to trigger it on and off, from red to blue and subsequent power fluctuates as well. I just used you as the polar opposite, if that's okay!"

"Of course," I replied, feeling my mind step away for a moment. Trying to hide somewhere in the back of my skin. "I'm just glad it worked! You feelin' okay, Al?"

The soul in the armored suit nodded, putting a hand to his front plate. "Yeah! I feel fine."

"Good!" Ed replied, grinning again. What was he so happy about? "Great to hear it, Al!"

He turned, attitude solemnizing as he moved one hand to his pocket. Looking over his shoulder, surveying the destruction and the burn marks scorching the grey out of the concrete.

"That was some fight, wasn't it?"

He looked to me, stare quickly sweeping over my legs, arms, moving to my face. "You're not hurt, are you?"

I shook my head, stepping back and feeling my weight sink into my right leg. Gently igniting that wound on my calf.

He didn't press me for more, but I saw his stare focus on my leg for a split second longer, as his attention began to pull around to the dig site. I forced my breath not to hitch, forced everything to stay frozen as he moved his attention away from me again.

"We should probably get going," he said. "Military will be here soon, and I don't think this is a good way to explain what I'm still doing as one of them." He gave a small smile, head bowed a little. "Plus, Mustang will have our asses if he sees we've been fighting."

So, at those words, we headed to the city, forgetting the partial trek we had made for food.

But I couldn't step for very long; it felt like my muscle was collapsing in on itself, twisting and the ends pressing together like an accordion.

I hated myself for the sound that escaped, too; a slight wince, but more than enough for them to notice.

Ed slid on his knees, hands immediately coming to my arms, stare alert and darting over me. "What's wrong?! You hurt?!"

I couldn't reply; my leg just felt like it was on fire. I winced out a sorry, and he forced me to lean back a little. Eyes shifting over, quickly examining me before widening at the spot I felt the most physical pain.

I felt a spark, some electrical current snipe through the pain when his hand curved around my calf. Gently cradling my leg, fingers supporting the incredibly tense muscle I couldn't relax.

He was focusing on the scar, other hand trailing along, and quietly he spoke, body snaked to one side a little, voice quiet.

"How'd this happen?" he asked. "Just a muscle spasm or...?"

"Y-yeah," I answered through my teeth. But my leg slammed to life again with a burst of pain, twitching it a little. Fuck, why was I lying to him?!

His hand hovered above the source of it all, and then he relaxed, stepping away and gliding my leg back down. Telling Al to repair the muscle.

"It'd be too risky," he said, shaking his head a little. "After what just happened with Al's suit..."

I understood; my eyes went wide, just imaging some spike made of twisted muscle slamming out of my leg.

"Y-yeah." My voice was distant, tremoring with pain and nervousness. "Good choice..."

Al smiled at me, hands clapping while he kneeled down. I couldn't smile back, sight twitching until darkness nearly squeezed my vision as I felt his hands come to my leg.

My muscle relaxed, pain subsiding to shockwaves. Ones that were fading quickly.

"Thanks," I murmured, eyes opening again. Feeling myself become a little drained, like someone had leaked part of my brain out of back-corner of my head.

"Of course!" Al helped me up, and I forced myself to give a small smile, seeing how wide his eyes were curved. "Is everything else alright?"

I failed to mask the surprise, instantly shaking my head. Holding my hands by my skirt again. "N-no, other than that, I'm fine."

At the sound of Ed's disbelieving growl, I tried to grin.

"Really!" I held up a hand. "Lesson learned; I'll let you know if anything wrong, promise."

He held my stare, posture still hunched a little. Mouth frowning in the smallest of ways, and I knew he was telling me I'd already promised him that before.

I... Wasn't going to go back on that one.

I grinned a little wider, holding up crossed fingers and trying to tell him this would be a physical check-up promise. Everything was fine!

He seemed to understand, drawing up to his full height, talking about we should try and get cleaned up before anyone saw us.

As we walked, Ed spoke about the next train out of Central. Getting a food-run that wouldn't result in broken armor and painful muscles. He said how we should probably get leaving soon, because the hotels in this city were probably all booked.

I could only think of myself.

My transmutation circle had rebounded. I was a complete causality; they had to see that by now.

"Ed..."

He turned, one brow perching in question. Patiently waiting as I held a hand to myself, fingers tight around my wrist.

"My leg... it was caused from a rebound." They had to know; they had to see what a causality I was...

The silence was something I staked my life on.

"It was probably something to do with the energy offset," Ed said, stare shifting over me. Saying what, I didn't know. "With the amount of crazy that's been going on, I wouldn't put some small rebounds as unlikely occurrences."

Al turned to him, thinking with one finger by his face. A question was on his mind, and soon enough, he spoke.

"You think it has something to do with the energy balance?"

Ed nodded, stare leaving me after a moment. He turned back, walking as he spoke. "Let's just keep an eye out for what happens next, yeah?"

We continued on.

The backstreets of Central were quiet, until a loud voice spoke in our direction.

"YO!"

Our attention perked, and I was surprised to see a tall hand in our direction. A grinning mouth, square glasses reflecting off sunlight.

Ed echoed my thoughts, but I felt myself shake a little. Seeing him again.

"Hughes?" There was a nervous grin in Ed's voice, I could imagine he'd stepped back, foot positioned to bolt. "What're you doin' here, you crazy guy...?"

"What am I doing here," Hughes scoffed, fists on his hips as he stopped in front of us. "I transferred here, or did you not read that memo that was sent out to your PO box?" His finger pressed against Ed's forehead, a piece of golden hair hooking out in response.

Ed grinned a little wider, actually nervous this time. "Ah, yeah. I forgot I had one of those!"

Hughes sighed, hand capturing the side of his face. "So, besides keeping up with military updates, what've you three been up to?"

Before either of us could reply, he was leaning forward, examining the rips in Ed's coat and the new marks in Al's armor. I'm sure I was more ragged than usual, but he barely spared me a glance as he finished speaking.

"You guys all look like you just walked through some kind of wild pitchfork convention! What in the heck happened?"

"Just a little scuffle!" Ed replied, and I was so happy for that brain of his. "Nothing to be worried about; absolutely fine! Got into a fist-tango with a few burglars, but it all worked out just fine!"

"Ah, yeah," Hughes put one hand in his pocket, the other coming to think by his mouth. "Those fist-tangoes can get pretty violent sometimes. I personally prefer the hook-hoedown, but MY DAUGHTER ELICIA'S GETTING INTO TAP DANCE!"

With photos waterfalling from his hands and to the spaces beside his feet, we were all rendered dumbstruck.

"He always finds some way to tie it in with his family."

"It's a gift..." Al sighed.

"She IS a gift!" Hughes gushed, practically shoving a display of pictures in Al's face, who smiled politely. "Just look at this shot from a few weeks ago! She painted a cat with her own two hands!"

Al actually seemed interested in that. He picked out one photo, and Hughes appeared behind him, absolutely beaming.

"That's actually a really great cat!" Al said. At Hughes' half-lidded stare, those eyes made of light shrank. "I-I mean, of course it's a really great cat! Absolutely wonderful; why isn't this being hung in museums?"

"THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING! I called Louvre and they gave me some half-hearted spiel about classics and..."

With his voice dimming into the background, I sighed as quietly as possible, turning my head to the side.

My ears perked up, mind noticing Ed was abnormally quiet. He was still standing close by, between Al and Hughes and myself, simply observing it all. Taking everything in with a small, absolutely content smile on his face.

That expression of his suddenly dropped into a full on frown, clenched teeth and white eyes, arm coming near his face as Hughes suddenly spoke to all three of us.

"Hey I'm off work in just an hour; what'dyou all say we have dinner with the wonderful company of my family?"

No...

If his family was anything like him.

"T-that sounds great!" Ed got out, and I nearly felt my grin snap as it came onto my face.

"Perfect! I'm just on the corner of 4th and 5th street; a great home with amazing decoration. Gracia's a wonderful decor; you really can't miss it. It's absolutely captivating!"

"Great!" Ed grinned. "We'll start heading there now. Uh... Where is it, exactly?"

Hughes pointed different directions, and once again we were walking.

"W-why, Brother?" Al asked quietly, voice pleading all on its own.

"We're kind of in need of a place to stay, Al," Ed replied, bowing low. "And his wife and daughter aren't that bad, in person..."

I could only hope Ed was right.

__________

Hughes arrived shortly after we did. I looked up from tickling Elicia, seeing Hughes hang his coat by the door. Time had passed quickly with Hughes' family. They were both wonderful, staying true to Ed's word.

Hughes captured his wife's hands, nuzzling his cheek against her face. "Oh my Gracia! It's been so long since I've seen you, I may as well have been on the frontlines! Just waiting to return to you, my dearest love!"

A familiar click of automail; I looked towards Ed, surprised to see him wide-eyed. Shocked?

Garcia laughed, putting her fingertips to Hughes' cheek like she was about to push him away. "Oh, stop it you! We have guests!"

And with a smile and a nod, we all gathered for dinner. Everything looked professionally prepared, a compliment Gracia shook off with a wave of the hand.

"Oh, please," she told me, "it's nothing but a little knowledge in the kitchen!"

Elicia pointed at me with her fork. Some part of me flinched, but I was glad it was hidden behind a section deep within the left wing.

"You're not like that blonde lady!"

I stared at her, hands near myself. Mind trying to uncover what she meant.

"Blonde lady...?"

"Ah how is Winry doing?" Gracia leaned over a little, fingertips resting on the start of Ed's knuckles. A gloved hand I saw twitch a little tighter. "It's been forever since I've seen her."

Ed looked down, away from her stare. From all of us, actually. He quickly spun his fork, spooling noodles and responding in a tone I couldn't make sense of.

"She's fine," he said, and I nearly felt myself scream, my own voice on the tip of my tongue. "Been busy, with repairs and all."

"Ah, that's right." Her hand picked itself off of Ed's, retrieving her fork again. Knife in the other, moving to cut Elicia's chicken into smaller pieces. Her daughter cheered, giggling like she was so overjoyed from having something done so simply. I tried to focus on that, tried to see how her arms threw up to the air and legs kicked her body weight back. Weight that just reminded me of how many useless pounds my brain was taking up.

"—she was so talented with that, from what I remember," Gracia continued, drawing away with fork and knife still in hand. "Didn't she—"

Her stare suddenly lifted, catching onto Hughes'. I watched his head give the smallest of shakes; subtly telling her to drop the subject.

I watched Gracia's mouth close, eyes a little wide and glossy as they stared at the table, her plate half-eaten.

"What a meal!" Ed exclaimed, grinning wide. He put one arm on the table, hand supporting his face as he spoke to Elicia.

"What'dya say after dinner you show us some tap dancing, Elicia? Your dad says you're pretty good, but I bet Al's better."

Al's eyes shrunk. "Wait, what?"

Elicia shrieked a little, in a fit of giggles. "You can't wear tap shoes!" She pointed at Al. "Your feet are too big!"

"Ah, well tap shoes are just metal on the bottom, right?" Ed continued, still overly cheerful. "Doesn't take long to ruffle up some small slabs and attach it to the bottom of the shoes he's already wearing!"

The anger radiating from Al went unnoticed by near everyone, everyone too captured by Elicia's excitement. His hands stayed by his chest, curled like they were holding his brother's head and slowly squeezing.

"Why would you do this to me..."

I just grinned, and soon we were all gathered to watch Elicia's dance.

She stood with her shoes on, tapping first at the heel then at the front. The pace increased, and I could only compare it to my shoes. Perhaps I should be up there with her.

We cheered and clapped, and Elicia threw her arms up again, cheering right along with us. "Yayyy! More compliments!"

Conversation floated past Elicia's bedtime, never growing serious with the absence of a child. And when everything got quiet, we turned in for the night, Edward separated from me with a close of a guest bedroom door.

I sat on the foot of the bed, slipping off my shoes before picking up my left one and turning it around.

A pebble had gotten lodged inside one of the lines I had carved. A tiny rock, of all things. This screwed up the transmutation circle...

I needed to get better shoes...

__________

A/N: Al's "Why would you do this to me..."bit was originally a spoof, but I couldn't not put it in!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.6K 991 33
Edward x reader
1.7K 13 19
You are the younger cousin of the famous Edward and Alphonse Elric since your parents died when you were very young you had to live with your aunt an...
20.6K 436 50
Something goes horribly wrong when Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist, goes to the Gate of Truth. He gets transported, with his childhood friend W...
54.7K 1.7K 42
Wanting to become a great alchemist you meet Edward Elric. You fall in love and soon you climb up to be Furhur. Having a son and being happily marrie...