The Call Of A Mute Heart

By Arzuera

Your heart has always been a problem and your mute vocal chords have made it impossible to achieve your dream... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Easter Special
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Special Chapter 2
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Special Chapter War Edition pt 1
Chapter 15
Special Chapter War Edition pt 2
Chapter 16
Special Chapter War Edition pt 3
Chapter 17
Special Chapter War Edition pt 4
Chapter 18
Special Chapter War Edition 5
Chapter 19
Special Jerry Edition
Chapter 20
Special War Edition 6
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Special Chapter 4
Underfell Special 1
Underfell Special 2
Chapter 29
Underfell Special 3
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Underfell Special 4
Chapter 32
Underfell Special 5
Halloween Special 1
Halloween Special 2
Halloween Special End
Chapter 33
I'm sorry x.x
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Christmas Special
Chapter 38
I'm Sorry... again
Update
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Underfell Finale
Chapter 41
Underswap Special
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Underswap Special 2
Underswap Special 3
HAPPY EASTER
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Underswap Special 4
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Contest Entry Update
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Halloween 2017 pt 1
Chapter 61
Halloween 2017 pt 2
Halloween 2017 pt 3
Halloween 2017 END
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Underswap special 5
Underswap special 6
Underswap Special 7
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Underswap Special END

222 19 5
By Arzuera

No more specials for this story /o/

After this back to your regularly scheduled programming.

~~~~~

"Songbird.... went on a vacation to Austin, Texas... with only Sans... so that he could have a cheering section in the National Pun Off competition..." Mettaton leaned in closer to Alphys who was shaking with so much nervous anxiety that it was causing the test tubes on the counter behind her to shake as well. An elegant eyebrow quirked up as he watched the lizard monster squirm under his gaze. "Noted that this is something that they would totally do... I doubt that my darling would just be gone for days in another state without giving me a single hint on something that would be such a big deal to her best friend. If anything... she would have been talking my metaphorical ear off about it."

"W-well, I-it was just s-so short notice! I-I only found out a-about it... w-when-" Alphys cut herself off as she mentally backpedaled to try and get herself out of this predicament. Everything that could have gone wrong had. Every fear that should have been addressed had made itself known but... she couldn't tell Mettaton that. She couldn't tell him that she had accidentally put his girlfriend in danger again! There was no telling what he would do if he found out and if he did... Sans wasn't going to get out of the robot's punishment either. If she was going down, she was going to take the charismatic skeleton with her. After all, that's what friends were for. "L-look, M-mettaton. (y/n) is f-fine. She is w-with Sans. He would never let something b-bad happen to her."

The robot's eye twitched at the attempt at a redirect in the conversation. "I don't doubt that in the least, Alphys. But that's not what I'm asking and you know it." Their bickering continued on as they got more involved. So much so that they ignored their surroundings entirely.

Smoke billowed out from the machine as the newly reinforced door opened. They weren't taking any chances for something bad to come through to your universe. You stepped out into the lab with your eyes squinting at the brighter florescent light of the lab compared to the dingy light of Honey's basement. The contrast making your eyes water. Forcing them to blink a few times as they adjusted. The ride home from a universe was always better than the trip to one. It felt like you were coming home. All the things that may have felt off previously now felt right. Like this was the place where you belonged and your entire being knew it. Did Sans feel like that when he went elsewhere or was this just a human thing? You'd have to ask him when he came back.

"Alphys... that wasn't what I meant and you know it! I know you guys are up to something but you are just being so-" You froze at the sound of Mettaton's voice in the lab. Just when had he gotten here? How long were you gone? On the original run through the swapped universe, it hadn't even been a day. Mettaton wouldn't be jumping down the lizard monster's throat like that if you were gone for that measly amount of time. Undyne kidnapped you for slumber parties on a pretty frequent basis. Not coming home for the night after hanging out with Alphys in the lab wouldn't set off any immediate alarm bells.

Shrugging it off, you stepped towards the sound of the argument and watched as the robot star ranted to a very anxious ridden Alphys with his back to you. Though you were surprised that they haven't noticed the large amount of white smoke that now filled the room from the machine. It was one hell of a way to make an entrance. You headed towards the two monsters. Mettaton was so riled up that he wasn't letting poor Alphy gets a word in anymore. The only way to get him out of this was to let him rant until he stopped or give in to what he wanted.

That or have the person he was looking for to pop back into existence.

Reaching out, you tapped Mettaton on the shoulder. "Not now, songbird. I'm trying to get Alphys to tell me where you-" The robot shot up from his slouched position so that he could be eye level with the lizard scientist and whirled around so that he was directly facing you again. "SONGBIRD!" You elicited excited silent giggles as you were swooped off your feet and into the ghost robot's arms. The arms extending to wrap around your body repeatedly as he pressed you to his chest. "It's been three DAYS! Sweetheart, I haven't heard from you at all. No texts. No messages from the others. The only lead I had was that you were hanging out in the lab a few days ago because Sans and Alphys had found something exciting! Then radio silence!"

Three days? Your heart twinged painfully at the news. It was no wonder that you were currently being crushed as lovingly as possible to the cool metal of Mettaton's body. You would also be in a state of blind panic and worry if the idol hadn't messaged you at all in that long period of time. Hell, you were surprised that he hadn't filed a missing persons report or had the entire city being upended to find where you were at.

...maybe he actually had done those things. It would make sense. Oh... you were not looking forward to the next couple of days.

Still. You were glad to be home. Living in the swapped universe had been fun and you learned some very important things about your best friend along with his alternate selves but at the high cost of almost dying multiple times. You buried your face into the crook of Mettaton's neck while letting out a relieved sigh. It was good to be home. Sans would be gone for a bit but it's not like you weren't going to know what was going on.

"Beautiful, what happened? Where did you go?" You could feel the reverberations of his voice that was filled with nothing but joy and concern, through the metal of his neck. Where was the thing that was considered his 'voice box' actually at in his body?

Another silly question for another time. You pulled away from his neck and offered Mettaton an apologetic smile. There was a lot that you were going to have to explain but first you had to get him to promise to NOT murder the two monster scientists. They may have put you in danger but you had walked into it willingly. You were the one who offered to go. YOU were the one who convinced Sans to send you to the unknown universe despite it possibly being another deadly one like Underfell. So if there was any murder to be had then he should be murdering you.

Wiggling a small bit in the monster star's hold, you tried to gesture to him to let you go so that you could speak and he gently lowered you until your feet touched the lab floor. His winding arms reversing until there was just a hand on your shoulder instead of a crushing hug. "Promise me that you'll listen to the whole story before attempting to go after Alphys and Sans." You signed to the robot monster with a stern gaze. Then you gestured for him to sit in a nearby chair so that you can tell them everything that happened. Just as you were about to begin, a new ringtone chimed from your phone and you fished it out with a smile.

Honey 11:26 am

Hey, kiddo. It's been quiet for awhile. Did you make it back okay?

XXX-XXX-XXXX 11:27 am

Yep. All limbs and cognitive function are accounted for.

You quickly texted back and you realized something. There had been something very important that you needed to tell Honey and Sweets. Preferably before you had left but Sans hadn't given you a chance. He had whisked you into the machine as soon as you had gotten the two skeleton's numbers in your phone.

Now that you had a chance to tell them... it was gone. There was a lapse in your memory. You had been forced into the void by the alternate universe. That much you knew but it was information that you hadn't come to realize yourself. Someone had told you that but who? You hadn't been alone in the void but... as you tried to remember who they were... what they looked like... all that came into your mind was an immense headache and the sound of static. But you knew the name... It was... it was.. it was [REDACTED]. You silently grumbled while rubbing your throbbing skull. The more you thought about the person in the void, the more painful it got.

"Darling? Are you alright? Who texted you?" Mettaton's voice sounded closer than where he had been sitting previously and sure enough, when you looked up, he was out of his seat and reaching towards you. Right. The void man could wait. You had Honey and Sweets number so you could ask them about it at a later time. Now you had to explain your adventures and misadventures in a new universe. Putting your phone back in your pocket, you straightened out of your slightly slouched stance and addressed the two monsters before you.

The retelling of everything that had happened... went over better than you thought it would. Mettaton kept his promise and didn't do anything until you were done. Though the glare he sent Alphys was enough to send her scurrying out of the room to "check" on the machine, leaving you alone with the robot monster. You may had been the one to volunteer but that didn't leave the lizard monster completely guilt free. Mettaton has you re-examined after he calms down and then takes you home back to the penthouse of MTT Resort. From there on, you are on a temporary lockdown. Which is to be expected but thanks to your phone, you aren't completely kept out of the loop.

Sans was working hard to help the SwapBros with Chara and you were really proud of him for doing it. He texted you updates. Honey did the same. You got a lot of food pics and texts about their day from Sweets. The small skeleton really was to sweet for this world.

Fast forward to the present and you were currently lounging on the leather couch in the living room with Mettaton humming a tune from the kitchen feeling completely bored. A few more days have passed since you came home from the alternate universe and you really shouldn't be surprised that time between the two was different... but it didn't make it any less boring. Being under house arrest without a best friend to teleport you to freedom wasn't fun. Even if you deserved it.

Work was all caught up, you were currently in a creative slump, and Mettaton was keeping you on a close chain until he calmed his own emotions down. You gave the robot monster a pretty big scare so he was going to be extra clingy for a little bit. Letting out an exaggerated sigh you stretched out as much as you could. Who knew that living with an international star would become boring?

"sounds like someone is ex-sigh-ted that i'm back."

You let out a silent shriek and flopped onto the floor in surprise with pain lancing up your side from hitting the hard to ground. A plush carpet only went so far as cushioning. Propping yourself back up, you sent a glare to the rather smug skeleton who was watching you from his position on the back of the couch. "what? didn't realize you would be floored by my return."

"Sans, please. Feet off the couch. Thank you." Mettaton waltzed in from the kitchen holding a plate of various snacks to munch on. He grabbed the small skeleton's feet and swung them so that he fell back onto the couch with a loud fwump.

"man, no wonder you like him. he just swept me off my feet." Sans's shit eating grin grew with Mettaton's only tell of irritation was his eyebrow twitching. You grabbed the pillow that you had been using and got your best friend right in the face. His deep baritone giggle muffled under the fabric.

Standing back up, you scooched Sans down a bit so that you could have a spot on the couch again as Mettaton put the plate on the table. "So are you going to tell me what happened or are you going to just mooch all the room on the couch?" You signed to the skeleton when he took the pillow off of his face.

"Yes, I would like to know what happened as well. I may not be happy that you sent her there with very little knowledge of who she was going to run in to... but I cannot deny that you made sure she was safe regardless and I want to know that our alternates are happy." Mettaton stated as he moved to sit on one of the arms of the couch.

"i can do you one better than telling." Sans pulled out his phone and brought up his image gallery. The image he had up was a beautiful shot of all the monsters you knew in different positions silhouetted by the setting sun on a cliff. It was a rather gorgeous shot. Who knew that the skeleton had an eye for photography. "they are working with the human government now so it may be a bit until you get info from honey and sweets but they are all happy."

You slumped against the couch in relief. They deserved that much at least. "That's good. I have no doubt Sweets will blow up my phone with messages once they are all settled." Your heart swelled in happiness. You may not have been a direct influence like last time but you still were glad that they were finally free.

"on that note... as much as i hate to say this... you're not going to go on anymore alternate universe adventures-"

"THANK GOD! FINALLY!" Mettaton froze after yelling that last bit to the heavens. The elation on his face was quickly replaced with a false somber expression that would have appeared believable if you didn't know him so well. "I-I mean... oh no... I'm sorry to hear that..."

"Oh shut it. I get it. No more dangerous misadventures. At least, not without you to help me." You rolled your eyes at your boyfriend's antics but there was a smile on your face. He meant well and with you... it wasn't surprising that he was a little bit protective. Your past history of dangerous situations was not the best. "Continue, Sans."

The skeleton chuckled at your interaction but continued without comment. "as fun as it is... i've been sending you into danger and i'm not talking about the aggressive monsters. you had the capsules and yer smart. bud, you can handle a few monsters trying to take your SOUL." The amusement that had been on his face moments prior was now gone. Replaced with a somber darkness that was eating at him more than he wanted it to appear. "it should have been something that i put into consideration but... i don't know. maybe it's because it's been so long since it has happened for us or maybe because i thought that since we were from another universe it wouldn't affect us... but because i didn't think of it you were sent to a place that could have not only destroyed you... but your existence completely."

"The void?" Now your lack of memory for the person who helped you made sense. Maybe you could only remember if you went back?

"exactly. it's a dangerous place." Sans looked at Mettaton uncertainly before looking back to you. "SAVES, RESETS, LOADS... as you know, not every monster remembers them. they mess with so much. if they happened in this universe, i should have known that they happened in others. i'm not going to go into full detail now but you could be sent to the void again if you are in an alternate universe. we were lucky this time that you had a way back. we may not be next time."

You eyed the skeleton that had degenerated from a good mood to the husk he was now and you realized just how heavy this information was on his shoulders. This wasn't because you were weak. This wasn't because you weren't resourceful. He was seriously worried because unlike those other things... this was something that he had no control over. A SAVE, RESET, or LOAD could happen and there would be nothing he could do. He wouldn't know where you would end up.

Your good mood vanished too as dread moved in. You very well could die in those worlds and not because of something you could do anything about. It really wouldn't be good for you to go on these adventures anymore. Even if you would love to meet your friends in new situations. Letting out a sigh, you looked at Sans who looked like he was prepared to go into another round of explanations but you held up a hand to stop him. "I understand."

"what?" his eye sockets widened after he read your words.

"I understand. It's more dangerous for me to go than if I stayed here." You shrugged as if it didn't bother you but it kind of did. You now had friends in other worlds. You didn't want to just give them up, even if that sounded a little selfish. "As long as I can keep in contact with Crimson, Honey, and Sweets, I'll be happy. No more universe adventures."

"i wouldn't ask you not too." Was the skeleton's immediate response.

"Neither would I. As much as I loathe that tacky look Crimson has... He is your friend." Mettaton shrugged as he moved to wrap an arm around you and gave you a reassuring hug.

"Good." You nodded your head. This was probably for the best. All things considered, this was the best outcome you could have achieved. Everyone was free, everyone was okay. You were still able to keep in contact with the people you got close too.

Magic and Timelines were complicated things. When combined... some of the greatest and most horrible things could happen. Sometimes it was good to leave well enough alone. So that's what you were going to do. Though you doubted Sans was going to stop and with that you were probably going to be dragged in anyway. As for now? You were going to relax, antagonize Mettaton with puns, tease Sans until he was blue in the face, and wait for the Swapbros to drop you a message.

You were happy with that.

UNDERSWAP END

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.9K 2.7K 26
(Y/n) has had a rough life, how could it get any worse? Let's let G answer that. ~~ This is a Complete Rewrite of Hold Still! I don't own any of the...
30.8K 778 30
Your violet aka (Y/N) your the new robot you make music like napstablook like EDM, Dubstep, Electro and more but when mettaton said you would go on s...
118K 2.9K 17
Something I've been thinking about making for a while now. I hope you guys can enjoy it! (Warning! Themes of suicide and depression are in here as we...
35.3K 1K 24
(Y/N) is an artist. An extraordinary one to say the least. She is quickly climbing her way up the ranks. And who knows, one day she may even become f...