The Vicky Series: Book 3: Liv...

Por Gloriannajames

Q. E. McClintock has never shied from his duty and when the Civil War starts, he once again answers the call... Mais

Note and Acknowledgements
Chapter 1 Part 1
Chapter 2 Part 1
Chapter 2 Part 2
Chapter 3 Part 1
Author Note
Chapter 3 Part 2
Chapter 4 Part 1
Chapter 4 Part 2
Chapter 05 Part 1
Chapter 5 Part 2
Chapter 06 Part 1
Chapter 6 Part 2
Author's note
Chapter 07 Part 1
Chapter 7 Part 2
chapter 08 part 1
Chapter 8 part 2
Chapter 09 part 1
Chapter 9 part 2
Chapter 10 part 1
Chapter 10 part 2
Chapter 11 part 1
Chapter 11 part 2
Chapter 12 part 1
Chapter 12 part 2
Chapter 13 part 1
Chapter 13 part 2
chapter 14 part 1
Chapter 14 part 2
Author's Note
Chapter 15-part 1
Chapter 15 - part 2
Chapter 16-part 1
Chapter 16 - part 2
Chapter 17-part 1
Chapter 17 part 2
Chapter 18 part 1
Chapter 18 part 2
Chapter 19 part 1
Chapter 19 part 2
Chapter 20 part 2
Chapter 20 part 1
Chapter 21 part 1
Chapter 21 part 2
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
This Story is finished but...

Chapter 1 Part 2

248 14 0
Por Gloriannajames

As they entered the bay, Vicky's heart began to beat against her ribs. Home. As their steamboat passed the fort the cannons boomed in a salute.

"Henry's in good form." Quin commented.

"Naw. He's just glad we're back. When you get back to duty, he can go home to Penelope."

"Still, it's good to be home." He slipped an arm around her waist and they stopped their stroll to stand at the rail and watch the docks come to view.

"Do you think they've grown much?" Vicky asked as she leaned into him.

"We've only been gone a month." He chuckled as he kissed her temple.

He didn't want to admit he'd wondered the same. He'd wondered if they missed him, if they would be at the docks to greet them, and if...

"Look!" Vicky exclaimed pointing.

Red, Gibson and Nanny stood at the docs. The boys held the twins up on their shoulders. He looked down to find Vicky smiling proudly up at him. He squeezed her to him and felt love warming his heart. His family was waiting.

When at last it was their turn to disembark they looked around for their family. They'd not taken ten steps on the docs when two little bodies hurdled at their legs and clamped down on their knees. Completely unprepared for the assault Vicky's arms wildly whipped out grasping for purchase. All she found was air, and the solid wall of Quin's chest.

Quin tried to stand. Ida Rose gripped his knees so he was unable to step back and he was struggling precariously with his balance. Suddenly Vicky's arm flung out and pounded him in the chest. It was enough that he lost the struggle and toppled over backward. He heard Vicky squeal as she toppled followed by the exuberant giggles of two precocious toddlers.

Vicky hit hard and for a moment breathing was impossible. After a moment she still struggled until she realized the reason she couldn't breathe. Kelley sat on her stomach straddling her like a horse. He was leaning forward and his little hands were pressing her cheeks.

"Mama!" He exclaimed before he planted a big sloppy baby kiss on her face.

Vicky laughed and wrapped her arms around him. She rolled to the right and found herself face to face with Quin and Ida Rose.

"It seems we walked into an Ambush." He chuckled.

"It would seem so, Major. What are your orders, Sir?" she winked.

"I think we should go on the offensive before they have a chance to retreat." He winked back.

Suddenly the children were writhing and squealing hysterically laughing while their parents tickled them. Reuben appeared with Red, Gibson, and Nanny. Everyone except Nanny seemed to be thoroughly amused by the sight of the major and his wife rolling around on the docks laughing with their children.

"Sir?" Gibson finally cleared his throat.

Quin's laughter died on a sigh. Father and husband needed to give way to major. He set Kelly aside and got to his feet before helping Vicky. The children would not be set aside, however and insisted on being held and he gladly obliged scooping Ida Rose up and holding her on his arm.

"We have a carriage for the family, sir." Red announced.

"And we've brought Jonah along for you, sir. The colonel requested you report immediately."

"Yes, so his letter said." Quin reached out and Vicky slipped her free hand into his. "Lead the way to the carriage."

He was really tempted to dally with his family, but the sooner he reported, the sooner he would be able to get back to them. Nanny was seated on the carriage. Reuben climbed up in back. Quin handed up Ida Rose and took Kelley from Vicky. Once Reuben had the babies in the back, he turned to Vicky, taking her hands in his.

"I'll be home as soon as I can." He kissed her forehead and helped her up.

"Alright." Quin said after the carriage was on its way. "Let's go see the colonel."

---

Quinton knocked and was bid enter. He closed the door behind him and as he turned around Henry stood and greeted him with a big grin. He waved a hand toward the hat rack and the chair. Quin hung his hat and sat down across from Henry.

"So how is married life treating you?"

Henry was one of only a handful of people that knew the true nature of Vicky and Quinton's marriage. Since Henry delighted in mischief, Quinton expected to be harassed. Even prepared he barely managed to control the redness that burned under his skin. He didn't trust his voice. He replied instead with what Henry called a big ol' Texas grin.

"Hot Diggety! I knew it." Henry guffawed and slapped his leg. "I could tell you two was sweet on each other back in Las Cruces. I'm glad, I'm really glad. But I'm an old woman. Give me a happy ending any day."

Quinton shook his head and waved a hand of dismissal at his friend. The man had the audacity to wink. The blush was burned deep and for once Quinto was thankful for the high collar of his uniform.

"Did you bring your reports?" Henry asked, mercifully sitting down and getting to business.

"Yes sir." He handed over a ledger.

Henry took the ledger and leafed through the pages, pausing once in a while to look more carefully at a notation. A slow smile tugged at his face and wiggled the mustache. Quin smiled in return. He wore a mustache and beard but he kept them well trimmed. Henry preferred a long mustache and let his goatee grow longer.

"What lovely handwriting you have." He teased.

"Vicky was a big help. I figured you'd appreciate being able to read them."

"Well I knew as soon as I opened the damned thing these neat rows of numbers and crisp clear writing weren't yours." Henry laughed. "You're handwriting has always tended more toward the resemblance of chicken scratch in the yard."

A laugh burst from Quin before he clamped his lips together and shook his head at his friend. In truth, he wasn't so mistaken. Quin never had much patience for writing reports and tended to hurry through the process. His impatience and dislike for the task was reflected in his scrawling script. Add to that the fact he never mastered the art of writing a straight line...

"How'd she do with the traveling?" Henry wondered aloud as he perused the reports more slowly.

"Great." He smiled. "Vic Bradley was my traveling companion on the trail. She wore her men's clothes and remembered everything from her earlier days on the trail. She put some of our boys to shame. She carried less in her pack than I did. We had a hot meal every night, because she hunted, cleaned, and cooked. She enjoyed it almost as much as I did."

"Almost?"

"She was enjoying the freedom." Quin smiled shyly. "I enjoyed watching her."

"I'll bet it was something to do with the way that curvy young body of hers filled out a pair of trousers." Henry teased, "If she's as good as you say, maybe she should take over your training assignment. Sounds like she has a few things she could teach these boys and they'd pay better attention with a teacher as pretty as your wife."

"You don't think they would object to a woman teaching them?" Quin was surprised by Henry's assessment.

"I don't think that the boys would mind a bit but I'm afraid the powers that be would never permit it. More's the shame." Henry sighed and closed the ledger. "From what I glean of these reports everything seems like it is in good working order."

"That was the impression I got, sir." Quin was pleased to find only a few problems in his inspections and nothing that couldn't be corrected with minor adjustments.

"Do you like your assignment at Fort Point?" Henry probed. "How are you taking to training instead of doing?"

"I like it here fine. It suits well with the family. And when I'm out there with the boys I'm learning that I'm not as spry as I once was." He chuckled and added, "I'll deny that outside these doors. But I digress. I think I'm making a difference and I believe these boys will do fine under fire."

"Good to hear." he paused and chewed on his lip.

Quin arched an eyebrow. The gesture was a strange one for Henry.

"Penelope made me quit the chaw. Said it was a vile habit." Henry chuckled and smiled at some private memory and turned back to Quin. "About your training, I've had a request from Colonel Carleton."

"The Colonel Carlton? Down in Drum Barracks?"

"One and the same. He heard about how fast you whipped these mama's boys into soldiers and asked if I might persuade you to come down and whip his boys into shape. They're set to march out in mid-April and he is very particular about his boys."

"I'd be honored, sir. But the family..."

"There is a place in officer's quarters for you all. It's actually quite elaborate. Mahogany, marble, and all such tom-foolery. Penelope asked me why we didn't move there ourselves when I told her about the Colonel's request."

"With all due respect, why don't you sir?"

Quin arched an eyebrow. Such assignments were rare and coveted and usually went to men with senior rank or fuller purses.

"I can't leave that hornet's nest folks call Visalia just yet." He shook his head and turned a beseeching gaze on Quin. "On that note, Penelope is still afraid to have Reuben join us. We rather hoped you..."

"Vicky and I love Reuben. He can stay with us as long as you deem it necessary." Henry nodded and Quin added, "When do you need me to move out sir?"

"Your orders here stand through the end of February. I'll have a new set drawn up for the first of March until further notice."

"Sounds more than generous if the assignment is as nice as you claim."

"Better. I swear on my sainted mother's grave."

"It doesn't leave much time though. You said they were slated to march in April? That gives me about six weeks." Quin was quiet a moment as he contemplated the implications. "All right then. If you don't have anything else for me..."

"Anxious to get home to the little wife?" Henry teased.

"The children actually. I'd like to see them before they go to bed. I've missed them."

"Certainly. Take the rest of the week off and report back Monday first thing. I'll have your new orders ready by then."

Quin stood at attention and saluted more as a gesture of respect than one of formality.

"Thank you, sir." He barked in formal military style.

Henry laughed and shooed him out of the office. Quin threw him a smile over his shoulder as he left. Henry was a good friend and a smart commander. Quin was glad to have the man watching out for him. If not for Henry, Quin might have found himself bound for battle. He shrugged off the thoughts as he touched his heels to Jonah and set them briskly toward home.

"It's beautiful, Quin." Vicky breathed as she took in the beautiful marble and mahogany.

She toured the rooms while the children ran around listening to the sound of their voices echo in the empty rooms. The quarters were enormous with eight rooms and beautifully embellished with wood, marble, carved trims and exquisite ceiling tiles.

"It's so elegant, even Mother would approve." She laughed.

"I'm glad you like them. My immediate assignment is to get the men ready to march in mid-April. That's only six weeks, so I'll be gone quite a bit. I don't know if we'll be here beyond that as I'm not sure what the colonel has planned for me."

"Are you trying to advise me not to get too attached?" she teased. "I've lived in lofts and guest bedrooms, hotel rooms that weren't much more than closets, in tents, and on the trail. I've worked my tail feathers off at a depot and on two ranches. Oh, and don't forget the wagons!"

"Are you trying to tell me you won't miss this when we leave it?" he laughed and pulled her into his arms for a kiss. "I'll make sure to have at least beds set up by tonight. I'll leave the rest up to you."

"Sounds fair. You'd best see to it sooner rather than later. I think they need a N-A-P." She spelled out the last in a whisper.

Quin stole another kiss and left to find beds. Reuben was waiting outside the door.

"Can I come with you, pa?" he begged. "They're driving me crazy."

Quin was hard pressed not to laugh. But he cleared his throat as he put his arm around Rueben's shoulders and hugged the boy to his side. He looked around and leaned close to whisper.

"Between you and me, me too. Imagine how your poor mother feels! Give her a hand and I'll bring back stick candy."

"You don't have to bribe me with candy anymore, pa. I'm not a little kid." He pushed away and rolled his eyes.

Quin ruffled his hair and waved as he walked on. He found his thoughts turning toward his assignment. They'd come a few days early to set up, but with only six weeks, he was anxious to get a feel for what was needed. The Colonel was well known for his preciseness regarding his troops and it pleased Quin to be a part of it.

---

Never much for pomp and definitely not much for the additional housework it would take to keep it tidy, Vicky closed off half of the rooms. She used three of the bedrooms, the kitchen and the parlor. Quin set up a little office in one of the other rooms. Not wanting to accumulate too many things, she kept the furnishings simple but pleasant.

By the end of the third week they'd fallen into a routine. True to his word Quin was gone most of the time. Nanny didn't follow them to the new post so there was always plenty of work to be done. Monday remained wash day and after the first week she began to take on other laundry for hire. It was on the first Monday of April that she made a startling discovery.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

13.9K 1.5K 36
We reunite with Lennie and Colt eighteen months down the line. A proposal. A wedding. Everything seems like it's going to plan, that is until their t...
1.2K 19 24
You've been moving around the country with your abusive, Drug addict parents who break the law almost everyday. Even thought things are hell over at...
207K 4.9K 80
{complete & editing } ꧁𝙈𝙖𝙛𝙞𝙖 𝙍𝙤𝙢𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚꧂ 𝑤𝑒 𝑔𝑟𝑜𝑤 𝑡ℎ𝑟𝑜𝑢𝑔ℎ 𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑤𝑒 𝑔𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑟𝑜𝑢...
6.4K 33 29
love noun /lʌv/ an intense feeling of de...