Unfathomable Phantom (COMPLET...

By ariksbell

"𝐋𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞, 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐯𝐨𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐞. 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐧𝐨 𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐚 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐢�... More

Description
I. stupid victorian era
II. Dream boy
III. When and where is this?
IV. ain't a serialkiller
V. the heir
VI. inappropriate
VII. can we please stop meeting?
VIII. conceited to violent?
IX. do you want me to go down there?
X. fairy godmother
XI. Mr. Guevarra?
XII. please stop staring...
XIII. friendship over?
XIV. Douglas Bennett = Satan
XV. life outside the cage
XVI. what are you doing here, Augustus?
XVII. it's not a date
XVIII. the truce
XIX. misconception
XXI. Augustus to the rescue
XXII. You want me to buy what?
XXIII. Let it be known
XXIV. Dear readers, I made him angry
XXV. she as he?
XXVI. Spilling the tea
XXVII. "you're hot!"
XXVIII. me as a mother(?)
XXIX. the proposal
XXX. a day in hell
XXXI. a day in heaven
XXXII. Halloween party
XXXIII. wedding preparation
XXXIII.V. what happened to Leo?
XXXIV.the wedding
XXXV. the escape
XXXVI. the confrontation
XXXVII. the consequences
XXVIII. runaway
XXXIX. Leo tried to what?
XXXX. a Finley, Finally
epilogue

XX. jealousy

2.1K 94 44
By ariksbell

Chapter 20

"Come in, my dear," said Mister Douglas when I knocked the door three times and uttered the words, "Mister Douglas?"

As soon as I entered the office, I caught a glimpse of Mister Douglas Bennett, his eyes on loads of paperwork.

"I hope I'm not disturbing you, Sir," I apologized and took a slight bow.

Mister Douglas looked up from his desk and faced me, saying, "Certainly not, my dear. Now, what brings you here?"

Both of his brows raise in a comical way which means he is not in a bad mood.

"Well, I just want to give you this green handkerchief that I bought yesterday at the Town's Market," I shyly uttered as I placed the handkerchief on his wooden desk, quite nervous.

Mister Douglas then examined the handkerchief with an unreadable expression on his wrinkled face.

"I mean, it's not expensive like the ones you have but-" I blurted out because I really just want him to like it.

I didn't have the chance to finish my statement because Mister Douglas summoned a wide smile and said, "Are you kidding, my child? To me, this handkerchief is worth a fortune just because it came from you,"

With that, I can't stop smiling. So, this is what it feels like making your father happy. I mean, Mister Douglas isn't my dad or whatsoever but I just can't help myself from seeing him as one.

Heck, what made me happier is when Mister Douglas began to caress the handkerchief with a smile on his face.

Suddenly, the door flew open and there stood Mister Douglas' handsome son.

Ugh, Clementine, can you please stop thinking of the word "handsome" whenever you see him. Think of the words: "conceited", "unemployed", or "alcoholic"

Just not sexy and handsome, please.

Mister Douglas then looked at his son with a mischievous grin while Augustus replied to his father with an unreadable expression. As if they're communicating only by eyes.

Can they teach me that? I mean, it might come in handy, right?

Mister Douglas then cleared his throat that caught the my attention

He then said, "What are you doing here, my dear son?"

Augustus first acknowledges my presence by slightly tipping his head at me which I awkwardly returned.

Augustus was about to say something when I saw him eye the green handkerchief at his father's desk, his brow raising.

I took a step forward and blurted out the words, "Mister Bennett, I believe I also gave you the same handkerchief but in the color of blood yesterday,"

For an unknown reason, my hands are seriously shaking.

Before replying, Augustus puts his hands inside his pockets, grinning and said, "Miss Wright, thank you for that wonderful handkerchief once again but I have to be honest with you, I thought I was the only one in this household who received the gift from you,"

I don't know why but I heard a bit of annoyance in his tone of voice.

To avoid awkwardness, I released a fake laugh. "Nonsense, Mister Bennett, you are all special to my heart. Equally,"

Augustus then took a step forward until we were only three feet away. "Well, I hope I weigh more than him,"

As soon as he said that, I couldn't help but raise my brow and give him a confused look. "I'm sorry, Mister Bennett but would you mind me asking who's him are you referring to?"

I have a feeling Augustus was about to answer me when Mister Douglas cleared his throat that caught the attention of both of us and said, "That's enough. Now, both of you, sit down," his forefinger pointing to the two chairs in front of his desk. The chairs are facing each other.

Sitting down, I caught a glimpse of Augustus looking at me, a bit grumpy as he ran his fingers through his gorgeous blond hair.

Ugh, here you go again, Clementine.

After a minute of total silence except from the chirping of the birds outside, it was Mister Douglas who broke the ice.

"Now, what brings you here, my dear son?" he asked the handsome guy sitting in the chair opposite to me. His tone is very soft

It must have been my imagination but I swear, I caught a sight of Augustus wincing at what his father just called him. Strange.

I don't have any idea whether Mister Douglas did not see that or just pretended not to but his smile towards his son remained.

Letting out a soft sigh, Augustus said, "I have something to tell you,"

Of course, I am not stupid not to realize it's my cue to leave since I have a strong feeling what they're going to discuss is something prominent.

Quickly, I rose from my seat, bowed to Augustus who just kept staring at me and bowed to Mister Douglas who was now surprised at my sudden movement.

"I better get going. Good day to the both of you," I blurted out as I stared at the ceiling.

Then, I heard a soft laugh from Mister Douglas, "Nonsense, my child. Go sit down,"

While Augustus remained his eyes on me, I could see the amusement in his eyes for some unknown reason.

"Oh no, don't worry about me, Mister Bennett. Besides, I still have loads of work to go downstairs," I politely explained, smiling.

After a few seconds, Mister Douglas gave up, shrugging, he said, "If that's the case then okay,"

Augustus meanwhile rose from his seat and said, "Goodbye, Miss Wright," his hands behind him.

Uhm, why is he suddenly so formal? Is it because of his father's presence? He is turning into his awkward and super formal friend.

I was about to leave when Mister Douglas called me which made me turn my back to him.

Mister Douglas once again released a fatherly-smile and uttered the words that brought me to a good mood. "Before I forgot, thank you for the handkerchief, my dear,"

Of course, I replied to him with a huge smile but I swear, I saw Augustus just staring at the green handkerchief, frowning.

Oops, I hope he did like the red handkerchief that I gave him yesterday.

Mister Douglas then opened a wooden drawer beside him and placed the green handkerchief inside.

And with that, I bid goodbye to them.

"Where have you been, Clementine?" asked Martha as soon as I stumbled upon her as I made my way towards the kitchen.

Martha has her hair up once again, she's holding a basket full of perfectly folded white sheets. On her way to the laundry room, I guess.

Smiling, I answered, "I just gave the green handkerchief that I bought yesterday at the Town's Market to Mister Douglas Bennett,"

Martha just raised her brow. "You and Mister Douglas Bennett sure are getting along well, huh,"

I just replied with a nod to her. "Turns out, Mister Douglas Bennett has a heart made of gold,"

Martha just shrugged at that, "Well, I wish I knew him better. To be honest, we seldom see him in the manor because of his frequent trips. That's why we have absolutely no idea on what he truly is except from Missis Dolores and Missis Jones,"

Right after Martha mentioned the name of Missis Jones, the hairs on my back roses

That woman still gives me nightmares.

"Don't worry, child. With you getting along with Mister Douglas Bennett, am sure that witch won't do something," Martha comforted as she patted my back.

Martha was about to leave when I called her, saying, "I'll deliver those sheets to the laundry room if you want,"

Instantly, Martha gave me a huge grin. "Thank you, my child. I'm afraid my knees began to ache pretty badly," she then began to massage her knees.

"Don't hesitate to take a rest, Martha. Don't worry, I'll do your chores," I added, as I stared at Martha with full concern.

Martha just shook her head, "I can't afford to take a rest especially now that my grandchildren need some money,"

"Please, Martha, take a rest," I insisted but Martha remained stubborn.

As soon as I dropped the basket full of white sheets to the laundry room and now on my way towards the kitchen I have a strong feeling Chef Florence is furious at where I am.

Dear Lord, I know this is rude of me to ask for this but can you please let Chef Florence suffer bladder problems. Just kidding. Although jokes are half-meant, right?

I almost peed my pants, I mean to my maid uniform when I saw Misses Jones making her way towards me.

Call me stupid or what but I quickly look at my left and right to see if there's some escaping route but too bad, the doors are locked.

And if I go back to the laundry room, Missis Jones would obviously know I am hiding from her. That I am truly scared of her.

So, I have no choice but to face my fear. To face the witch who is acting as if she owns the manor. As if pulling my hair is not against the Ten Commandments. Kidding!

As soon as I get back to the present times, I will not hesitate in writing a book in which it tells the tales of abused maids like me. Of course, I would exaggerate it for me to win Nobel's Prize. Kidding again.

"Go-good morning, Miss Jones," I greeted her as soon as she was facing me. My gaze at the ground.

"Tell me, you stupid child, what's so good about this morning when I, a fine lady unluckily stumbled upon a low human-being like you," Missis Jones blurted out as she began fanning herself with her huge green fan.

Oh, wow. I salute this lady for really acting not only like she owns the place but also for acting like she's Queen Victoria. I admire this lady's confidence, I admit.

"Excuse me, Miss Jones but I still have some dishes to wash. Enjoy your day, Ma'am," I uttered and began walking fast to avoid hearing more ridiculous and harsh statements from her big bad mouth.

But before I could finally leave, she stopped me by gripping my shoulder hard. So hard that I can't help myself from wincing.

"We're not done yet, you stupid maid. And friendly advice, there are fallen angels everywhere so better be careful," Martha spoked that sent a thousand chills down my spine, grinning devilishly.

Can I please choke this woman? Please, just please. I'll clean all the toilets in the world just to be given a chance to hurt this woman.

Right after Misses Jones was out of my sight, I began to walk slowly this time. Thinking of what Misses Jones just said.

Fallen angels everywhere? What do you mean by that?

Suddenly, I heard footsteps behind my back, slowly, I turned to face where the sounds were coming.

And there stood Leo in his hands inside his pockets, staring at me.

What confuses me is that Leo seems a bit...annoyed? His lips into a thin line and his brows meeting.

What happened?

Of course, I greeted Leo formally, "Good day, Mister Finley,"

Obviously, considering Leo's attitude, he would, of course, greet me back but what happened shocked me.

His frown deepened as soon as I said my greetings. Also, he did not greet back, he just kept walking as if he did not hear nor saw me.

Strange.

And for some unknown reason, I felt really blue at what just happened.

I don't know about you but there's something strange about Leo and Augustus.

Oh, no. Perhaps they did not like the handkerchiefs I gave them?

I mean, that's a bit impossible, their smiles were wide when I first gave it to them.

Later that night, I still can't stop thinking of why Leo and Augustus are suddenly a bit angry at me.

Perhaps because of how plain the handkerchief I gave them?

Or maybe because they realized I don't serve the teas very well, that I shake too much.

Or that while eating, they noticed that the plates were not perfectly washed.

Or maybe it has something to do with the chickens.

Goodness gracious, I don't know. My head began to ache as I kept thinking about it.

I let out a loud groan as I stared at the ceiling and kicked the air. Because of my childish act, the bed made a squeaky sound.

Looking sideways, I stared at a tired Martha at the sides, snoring pretty loudly. That's okay, I really don't find snores annoying.

And since I can't really sleep, I decided to get some fresh air in the garden, and here I am, laying all myself in the gazebo.

Or maybe, that's what I thought because I began hearing footsteps behind me.

I swear, I badly want to look behind me but that's a stupid move since stupid protagonists in horror movies usually do that and ended up getting killed.

Look, I am still not ready to face Victorian ghosts. Heck, I can't even digest the idea of seeing modern ghosts.

That's why I can't help myself from screaming when suddenly, someone or something covers my mouth.

After I finished screaming for like a minute, the someone or the something removes the hand and said, "Relax, it's just me,"

Right after I heard that, I automatically faced Leo and began hitting him.

"You scared me, Mister Finley. Haven't I told you not to act like a serial killer," I angrily blurted out as I continued hitting him in the chest.

Augustus then stopped me by grabbing both of my hands, a smile can be seen on his face. "I apologize for that, Clementine,"

I rolled my eyes heavenwards which earned me a chuckle from this psycho. "What are you doing here in the middle of the night, anyway?"

Leo then sat beside me in the gazebo, brushing off the dust in the gazebo seats first. Oh, my God. Fine gentleman he is

"I saw you sneaking out a while ago from my window while I was reading a book so I decided to follow you because why not, right?" Leo answered, smiling like a fool.

"Why are you sneaking out, by the way? Don't tell me you're having a secret rendezvous with some random guy," Leo asked, his brow raising, frowning.

What is he talking about? Secret rendezvous with some guy? I mean, I only know four Victorian gentlemen, okay. Augustus, Mister Douglas, Chef Florence, and him. Oh, Bennett's doorman as well.

"I just wanted to get some fresh air, okay? And besides, why are you talking to me? The last time I checked, you're angry at me for whatever reason," I uttered, crossing my arms.

Thank goodness I still haven't changed into my sleeping wear or else, I would've added this moment to my long-list of humiliating moments.

Also, I don't want Leo to act and look really awkward. I've had enough.

To my surprise, Leo released a soft chuckle and said, "I am not angry at you, Clementine. Let's say, I am just disappointed-"

Leo didn't have the time to finish whatever he's planning to say because I cut him off by saying, "Disappointed from what? My poor serving and washing skills? At the handkerchief I gave you? Tell me,"

Leo then released another laugh at what I just said, is he crazy?

"Let me finish, Clementine. I was kind of disappointed in your handkerchief gift," Leo slowly spoked which made my blood boil.

I quickly stood up and faced him, my hands gripping his shoulders hard as I said, "Well, sorry, mister rich guy for not offering you a handkerchief worth more than a million. You see, I am just a maid and come on, can you just be thankful that I even bother giving you a handkerchief,"

I badly want to cuss in German or in Filipino

After my long angry speech, Leo looked straight into my eyes with a confused look.

"You're getting the wrong idea, Clementine. What I am saying is that I thought you bought a handkerchief just for me and not for like the rest of the household," Leo explained, his face suddenly getting red as he kept looking sideways just to avoid my gaze.

"You mean you were angry at me for buying the whole household a handkerchief because the greedy-side of you is activated," I said, holding back a laugh.

As soon as I said that, Leo hurriedly met my eyes and said, "N-no, what I me-mean is..." Leo stared at me nervously and awkwardly for a second, lost for words. "Wha-what I mean is..." he once again said.

By that, my loud laughter erupted, making Leo's face redder. I feel sorry for this guy.

My grip on his shoulder began to loosen, "You didn't strike me for a jealous type, Mister Finley. What a cute side of you, indeed,"

Leo just kept his gaze at his lap, biting his lips as he brushed his hair up. Leo remained silent.

"Anyways, if that's what you're really worried about then give me the blue handkerchief and I would gladly sew your initials in it,"

With that, Leo looked up from his lap, still blushing. "No-no need, Clementine. I was just kidding around,"

"Come on, I was not born yesterday. Give me your handkerchief later for you to stop whining like a child," I jokingly uttered which made Leo laugh.

After that, Leo stood up from his seat and suggested we go back inside, which I agreed to.

My problem with Leo is now solved.

Now, I wonder what's happening to Augustus? Why is he suddenly a bit distant from me?

"Mister Finley, do you think Mister Augustus Bennett also wants me to sew his initials to the handkerchief I gave him?" I asked as we made our way towards the house.

As soon as I said that, Leo looked at me and said, "I don't think so. Augustus is minimalist, in case you don't know,"

I just nod at what he just said. Augustus, minimalist? Weird fact.

"Then why do you think he's angry at me?" I asked, raising my brow. Crossing my arms.

"He's probably just hungry or wakes up on the wrong side of the bed, don't worry about him," Leo answered, shrugging.

Again, all I can ever reply is a slight nod.

Before Leo and I head towards the maids' chamber, Leo told me to wait for a couple of seconds for him to get the blue handkerchief in his room.

"Well, goodnight, Mister Finley. I'll do good to this handkerchief," I jokingly said to him as I let my fingertips rub along the handkerchief.

Tell you the truth, I don't know anything about sewing so wish me luck. Also, dear Lord, please don't let Leo expect too much or else he'll end up getting disappointed at my poor sewing skills.

As soon as I opened the wooden door, I almost screamed like a mad woman once again because of the sight in front of me.

Martha fell from her bed, even from afar, I can tell she's sweating badly and is experiencing pain.

My hands began to shake as I made my way towards her. As soon as I touched her temple, I realized that her body temperature was high. Also, Martha kept grunting.

Instantly, I looked at my back to ask for Leo's help but I did not find him there. I seriously want to kill him for leaving me.

That's why I almost cried when I felt a hand round my wrist, and there sat Leo beside me, looking at Martha nervously.

To be honest, due to my relief to see him here, for not leaving me, I almost want to hug him tightly.

"I'll ask for Augustus' help since he knows what to do with situations like this," Leo blurted out as he rose from his seat.

"Just wait here, okay?" he uttered, patting my shoulder. I frantically nodded at him.

"Mar-martha, are you o-okay?" I said as I gently pat Martha's arm.

Martha remained still, beads of sweat rolled from her temple, grunting.

Somehow, I felt responsible for what happened to Martha because I did not try harder to insist she took a rest.

Augustus rose from his seat as soon as he heard a squeak outside. Of course, he knows it's Leo because, in this corridor, there are only two rooms. His and Leo's.

And since Augustus is busy thinking about his plan and about what he and his father just talked about, he decided not to follow his friend like he usually does.

But what shocked him is when he heard a soft female laughter from the garden.

Quietly, he watched them by his window. Watch them flirt with each other which made Augustus' blood boil.

He saw how his dear Clementine held his friend by the shoulders. How they looked into each other as if there's nothing in the world that can separate them.

"Let's see," Augustus furiously murmured as he snatched the book on the desk and threw it to the wall due to frustration.

For the next minutes he silently observe them until they decided to head inside

Curling his fists was the only thing he can do due to his frustration

Augustus was about to begin grabbing things and then throwing them when suddenly, he heard a loud knock.

Slowly, Augustus opened his door and there stood his friend, his rival Leo nervously looking at him.

"What are you doing here?" asked Augustus, still angry at what he just saw downstairs.

"Clementine needs you," Leo blurted out.

I am so sorry for not updating soon because my phone is broken

God bless

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8M 122K 55
Highest ranking achieved in Romance: #25 GENRE: Romance, Erotica, Drama, Crime, Thriller BOOK DESCRIPTION: College student Emily Maxwell's life took...
93.5K 1.9K 12
Tziporah Summers relocates to Heartwood, Australia, where she's pulled into a murder investigation by an attractive, brilliant, yet socially awkward...
14.1K 142 37
Daphne is just a normal girl with a normal life, one day after a hectic night she whitenesses something she shouldn't have, which only leaves her to...
6.9K 241 25
#1 in Passionate #1 in Interesting [A CLICHE MAFIAN/CEO ROMANCE, OR IS IT REALLY?] ● Cover picture is taken from Pinterest, credit to the respective...