Unfathomable Phantom (COMPLET...

By ariksbell

"๐‹๐ข๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž ๐จ๐ง๐ž, ๐๐จ๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฉ๐ซ๐จ๐ฏ๐จ๐ค๐ž ๐ฆ๐ž. ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ก๐š๐ฏ๐ž ๐ง๐จ ๐ข๐๐ž๐š ๐ก๐จ๐ฐ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ง๐  ๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐š๐ข๏ฟฝ... More

Description
I. stupid victorian era
II. Dream boy
III. When and where is this?
IV. ain't a serialkiller
V. the heir
VI. inappropriate
VII. can we please stop meeting?
IX. do you want me to go down there?
X. fairy godmother
XI. Mr. Guevarra?
XII. please stop staring...
XIII. friendship over?
XIV. Douglas Bennett = Satan
XV. life outside the cage
XVI. what are you doing here, Augustus?
XVII. it's not a date
XVIII. the truce
XIX. misconception
XX. jealousy
XXI. Augustus to the rescue
XXII. You want me to buy what?
XXIII. Let it be known
XXIV. Dear readers, I made him angry
XXV. she as he?
XXVI. Spilling the tea
XXVII. "you're hot!"
XXVIII. me as a mother(?)
XXIX. the proposal
XXX. a day in hell
XXXI. a day in heaven
XXXII. Halloween party
XXXIII. wedding preparation
XXXIII.V. what happened to Leo?
XXXIV.the wedding
XXXV. the escape
XXXVI. the confrontation
XXXVII. the consequences
XXVIII. runaway
XXXIX. Leo tried to what?
XXXX. a Finley, Finally
epilogue

VIII. conceited to violent?

3.2K 200 56
By ariksbell

Chapter 8

"Clementine, Mr. Augustus is asking for two cups of tea. He wants it now." Martha hollered at me in the kitchen as I washed a mountain of dirty dishes.

Does this household own like a thousand and one plates? I think I've been washing dishes for about an hour straight.

I almost dropped the delicate plates when I heard Martha's deafening shout. Perhaps Martha is in a hurry.

I can't manage to break things here. First is because I don't have any single coin and second, I don't want to get fired. That is why I was so nervous a while ago when a maid which by the way, I don't know the name of approached me and told me to go wash the dishes.

Tell you what, I almost fainted to death when I saw all the unfamiliar and questioning faces of the kitchen staff. I truly did feel their uncomfortable stares as I gently snatched the yellow rubber gloves in the side.

One male cook, probably in his late forties, asked me if I was okay and why I drowned myself last week. I just simply smiled at him and thanked him for his concern.

Anyways, all the kitchen staff didn't seem to take notice of Martha because they continued with their task.

The room really is chaotic. Shouting is the advisable form of communication here. The rhythmic sounds of chopping can be heard everywhere. The satisfying and soothing sound of running faucets is somehow music to the staff.

I was about to reply that I can't do the job because washing the dishes is one hard task but Martha was already gone somewhere.

Besides, I don't want to serve my stupid employer and his awkward soldier friend.

I quickly put the plates down the sink, removed my yellow rubber gloves, and wiped my wet hands to my white apron. And with that, I released a soft sigh.

I slowly went towards the side of the kitchen, near the door and grabbed the delicately-made teapot along with two teacups which I placed in the golden tray.

"Be careful with those, child! Those are much more expensive than your annual salary." the head-cook angrily warned me as I balanced the golden teapots and teacups in the golden tray. Everything is made of gold.

How I wish my employer's heart was made of gold as well.

I winced at Chef Florentino's warning. Chef Florentino has his eyes on other kitchen staff now as he quickly shook his head and hollered again. His face turned crimson. Goodness gracious, I hope he just really had a bad day.

Chef Florentino, as I've noticed, is pretty much dedicated to his work. He makes sure that every single dish is tasty. Somehow, that made me wonder if he has a wife, don't get me wrong, I have zero intention in wooing him. I am just a bit curious.

Chef Florentino's gray hair is tied up and his beard is perfectly shaved. Hygiene definitely is prominent in the kitchen.

And with that, I am off to hell.

For the nth time, I almost dropped the tray halfway down the never-ending stairs. Let's just say I am no good at balancing things and also, walking in ankle-length dresses is a struggle.

In fact, regardless in dress' length, wearing a dress is not my cup of tea. Don't get me wrong, I find them really, really beautiful. It's just that, I don't have the guts to wear them.

Speaking of tea, would you guys call me stupid even though I already am if I tell you that I don't know how to make a tea?

I knocked on the door thrice and began tapping my foot on the marbled-floor as I impatiently waited for the two annoying Victorian men to open the door.

In just a blink of an eye, the wooden door quickly flew open, and standing in front of me was Leo Finley, Augustus Bennett's soldier friend.

Again, he is sweating like there's no tomorrow. He's wearing his usual outfit as well. Black top hat, perfectly ironed black tuxedo, partnered with shiny black shoes.

I can tell he was about to formally greet me again but I immediately made my way inside the study room without his consent or the jerk inside.

Martha would've been really angry at me if she ascertained that I am not treating my superiors with respect.

I can imagine how bewildered Grandpa and Miss Dolores will be if I am literally not following what their "How to Live in Victorian Era" manual says.

I let my eyes scan the room for a second. It somehow made me wonder why there's no books in here knowing that this is a study room.

In fact, this is more like a playroom because playing cards and chess can be found in the corner. A collection of toy cars can be found right in the shelves. The walls are colored in black, so are the curtains and in the corner are two lampshades and a soft-looking black sofa.

Then for an unknown reason, my heart skipped a beat when my gaze landed on Augustus Bennett. My conceited employer.

He raised his right brow at me then brushed his blond hair using his fingers as he stood near the window. How handsome.

"What a great morning, isn't it, my dear mermaid?" he greeted me, smirking. Here we go again with that cringe-worthy endearment of his.

I avoided his captivating stares and pressed my lips into a thin line. Not replying to him.

"Great morning, indeed, my dear Augustus," Augustus replied, chuckling as he twirls his finger with an invisible strand of hair at his side then sexually bit his lower lip then winked at me.

And wait, did he just mimic my voice? First off, I don't speak like that and second, never in my life did I twirl my hair as a sign of flirtation. In fact, I don't know how to flirt.

Although I have to admit, he looks a bit hot when he bit his lip. Okay, he really, really, really looks hot. To the point I'm afraid I might burn.

I just rolled my eyes heavenwards and made my way towards the table which by the way is just by his side.

I can feel his awkward stares as I placed the golden tray on the table. I then began pouring the tea into the teacups. My hands are shaking.

As soon as I was finished, I forced myself to bow to Augustus and Leo who still had their eyes glued to me which made my cheeks turn crimson. I mentally cursed myself for that.

Leo nodded at me as a reply but there's a hint of sadness in his face while Augustus just raised his brow at me. As if he's teasing me on why I suddenly bow down to them.

I was about to really leave, I mean, I am few meters away from the door when I heard the sexy devil said, "Stay,"

With a frown painted on my face, I turned towards them and sat on the sofa a few meters away from them. Hoping they'll start whatever business they have and pretend I am not here.

"Just appreciate God's artwork," Augustus uttered, smirking.

What? I have zero clue on what he's talking about. I mean, don't get me wrong, Grandpa raised me in a very religious way. I attend our church weekly. Although I am not meek.

"What I meant is, just appreciate how perfectly God created my very majestic face," Augustus explained then shrugged.

"And body, if you want to look deeper," he added then he seductively winked at me.

Oh wow, this guy sure is conceited.

Meanwhile, Leo Finley kept looking at me. It's like he can't take his eyes off a beautiful maiden like me. What can I expect?

Life of being beautiful sure is a struggle. Am so tired of being attractive.

Wait, am I turning to Augustus

Bennett a.k.a the Narcissist?

Just kidding, to be honest, I am far from being pretty. Tell you what, I hate my dark hair and freckles. Grandpa is the only one who told me that I am pretty. Well, as far as I remember, Grandpa's business partners' grandson did call me pretty but they were totally intoxicated at that time.

As far as I know, compliments from drunk people and from your family do not count.

Anyways, Leo Finley still kept looking at me curiously and it started creeping me out. If only I had pepper spray with me.

As far as I know, kicking the man where it hurts the most is the perfect alternative to pepper spray in the Victorian era.

"What 'cha looking at, creep?" I asked him then rolled my eyes heavenwards, hoping he would break the gaze but no, I can tell he's trying his best in hiding his laughter due to what I just did.

He is awkward and creepy at the same time. I wonder if he acts like that with girls. Especially to genuine Victorian ladies.

Augustus and Leo then began drinking the tea. Suddenly, I have this weird feeling that I do hope they end up liking it. I mean, I made that!

In contrast to what I just wished, I watched as their faces turned sour as if they just sucked a lime. Leo then began coughing, for real this time. I swear.

"Who in the hell made this poison?" Augustus asked me, wiping the tea in the side of his mouth.

I have this urge to just shrug and pretend that I am not responsible for that tea but my good conscience won.

"I am," I answered, staring at my brown oxford shoes as I played with my fingers. I can feel my palms getting sweaty.

Okay, so now I am turning into Leo Finley a.k.a the awkward slash creepy slash sweaty guy.

"Are you sure a sorcerer did not make this?" he added, fighting off the urge to cough but judging by his face, it can already be concluded that he really did not like the tea.

Is this the end of my career as a maid? Is my untasty tea the one to blame? Or their poor taste in determining whether a tea is tasty or not.

To tell you the truth, I am completely expecting them to shout at me and tell me to leave this place because my tea disgusts them.

But no, what happened truly is strange. Augustus is laughing hysterically with matching punches to his lap. What?

Don't tell me drinking my tea will destroy your sanity.

Meanwhile, Leo is once again, just looking at me but I can see amusement in his eyes and I can tell he is fighting the urge to laugh. Again.

Damn him and his conceited friend. Damn them. And damn me for not being skilled in making tea.

As soon as I get back to the 21st century, I'll instantly book a tea making workshop.

Heck, I don't even drink coffee, let alone tea. So you really can't make fun of my poor skills.

"W-what are you laughing at?" I asked them, confusion evident in my voice.

"Oh, nothing, my sweet mermaid. It's just that, your tea is super delicious." Augustus replied as soon as he calmed himself down. He then brushed the little tears in the side of his eyes.

"Hmmm, one of the best teas I've ever tasted in my life! This tea is to die for!" He added then laughed once again.

To die for? You've got to be kidding me.

Also, I can hear sarcasm in that annoying voice of his.

Augustus then sniffed the tea and said, "My God, what a wonderful smell. So tasty, I want more." his eyes still glued to my eyes.

I can feel my cheeks getting red due to anger and shame. I then diverted my attention to the soldier who is now slowly spinning the teacup.

"This is definitely not my cup of tea," Augustus added then mustered a satanic laugh.

"News flash, you stinky pig. I didn't ask for you lousy opinion," I said as I made my way towards them to get the tray.

"Then go ahead and taste it, let's see if your face won't distort," is Augustus Bennett challenging me? Oh wow.

I quickly snatched his teacup and without any hesitation drank my tea.

Both Augustus' and Leo's eyes immediately widened as they eyed me while drinking the tea. It took me about three seconds to realize that it is because Victorian men and women cannot share a single cup. Oops.

As soon as I tasted the tea, I seriously wanted to puke because it really tasted awful but since I have a pride to take care of, I decided to keep my straight face which by the way took so much effort.

"Well?" Augustus asked, bringing me back to life. His brow raised, his eyes searching for any signs of distortions.

"You're right," I said, shrugging.

And with that, Augustus rose from his seat and faced me which forced me to look up for he is one tall man. He looks like he just hit the jackpot, grinning like a fool.

"Well, never in my 26 years of existence have I been wrong, darling." he exclaimed, happiness can be traced in his voice and face.

"It is truly to die for. I mean, the flavor is flawless. I love how the aftertaste is somewhere between sweet and sour, it's like this tea is the new holy water." I replied, my head up high. I am willing to lie just to protect my pride.

After that, there was a long pause. The only sound that can be heard is Leo's coughing. Real coaching. Maybe because of what I just said. Augustus meanwhile unconsciously slump back to his seat after I dropped my ridiculous lies.

Again, my attention shifted to the teacup I am now holding. Then that caught me off guard. Augustus and I shared the same teacup which only means that he and I had an indirect-kiss. Oh, how stupid of me.

If Grandpa and Miss Dolores learned about this, I'm sure I'll be sleeping in the streets. With a sign 'Help, I'm a Certified Idiot'

"My sweet mermaid, you really are something, huh." Augustus said on my left side. He leaned back against the chair and crossed his legs.

"Don't call me that, you stinky pig," I replied, my hands clenched in my sides. Can I please just punch him in the face or at least kick him where it hurts the most?

However, those acts are definitely improper for a Victorian woman to do. The only thing I can do is to kill him in my mind. I think I already murdered Augustus and Leo in my mind for like, I don't know, a thousand times?

I must've been very engrossed in planning how to slaughter them for the nth when I heard a fake cough in my right side.

I don't need to look at my first side to know where that awful cough belongs. I only know one person in this era who loves faking coughs so much.

"Then I'll just call you babe since you yourself just called me pig." Augustus replied which earned him a death glare from me. I raised my right brow.

"And if you think I stinky then let us save water by showering together, you want that?" he asked. Okay. That went too far.

Perhaps he views me as nothing but a hard-to-get maid who thinks acting like this is her way of capturing the heir's heart.

Well, guess what. These are not some books you secretly read in the bookstores which are prohibited. This is the reality in which the girl hates the boy and that's it. No girl meets the boy then falls in love with each other. There's no such thing as the more you hate, the more you love.

Also, isn't it really, really inappropriate for anyone especially when you're living in the Victorian era to say bold things like that?

If only he isn't my employer then I will not hesitate on slapping his handsome face.

And since I came here to do my job and not to stir any troubles, I diverted my attention to the teacups and teapot, full of my untasty tea.

My eyes then saw Leo Finley's clenched hands. Man, I can even see his veins popping up.

For an unknown reason, well perhaps because of my curiosity and my stupidity, I look up to see his face.

And man oh man, it's my first time seeing his thick brows meet. His lips in a thin line. He looks as if he's about to punch someone. More like about to punch his so-called-friend Augustus hard. Really hard.

That is enough to scare me for I have never seen him so angry before and I don't know how Victorian men get angry. Are they more on the vocal side or to the physical side?

Plus, I didn't know they're not one-hundred percent friendly to each other. I wonder why...

I shook my head, hoping to get these thoughts away from me since it is not my business and second, it is unrelated to my mission.

"What do you say, babe?" Augustus insisted. Emphasizing the cringe-worthy endearment. Completely unaware of Leo's deadly gaze.

I quickly snatched Augustus' (and my) unfinished tea and placed it on the tray and my mouth fell open when my eyes landed on Leo's teacup.

"Nevertheless, thank you for the tea, Miss Wright." Leo uttered which earned him a slight nod from me for I am still staring at his empty teacup.

It is literally. Does it mean he liked my tea?

I look around him, searching for any trash bins or any plants he can throw the tea to but surprisingly, I found none. Which only means that he truly did drink the tea.

I mean, even myself, the creator of that tea, didn't enjoy it at all.

Perhaps he isn't just the type of person to let anything go to waste.

But still...he drank it all. He somehow had the nerve to finish it unlike his rude friend and me myself.

With a smile plastered on my face, I slowly yet happily snatched the once full teacup.

I bowed to the Victorian man who just enjoyed my first ever tea and gave him a smile. My teeth are flashing.

This awkward and creepy guy isn't so bad after all, huh. I apologize for judging you wrong, my number one fan when it comes to making tea.

Oh my, I can imagine Leo living in the 21st century and forming a fans club dedicated to my teams. What a brilliant thought.

"A very good day to you, Mr. Finley." I sweetly uttered.

And with that, I made my way towards the kitchen to finish my task of washing the dishes.

But before I completely leave the room, I can feel their eyes boring into mine. Augustus has his lips switched down while Leo is staring at me. As usual, his sweats are everything but oddly, both his ears are almost in the shade of the blood.

I just shrugged at that because I don't want to ruin my good mood.

My smile is so huge to the point I thought my cheeks were going to break.

A wonderful day, indeed. Wonderful.

----

As soon as the beautiful maid named Clementine Kaeira Wright left the room, Augustus instantly rose from his seat and began walking around the room due to frustration.

"Dammit, I didn't know that trick of yours," Augustus said to his friend slash butler Leo Finley who is now smiling like he just won the lottery.

'I should've drank the whole tea, I can sacrifice my whole week feeling not very, very well in exchange for her captivating smile," Augustus thought, his blood still boiling.

"What trick?" Leo Finley asked, a huge smile can still be seen in his face.

The image of Clementine Wright's charming smiles kept playing over and over in his head. 'She sure is a work of art,' he thought.

Augustus cannot help himself from feeling jealous at what just happened. The girl never gave him that kind of smile. Smile that's enough for Augustus to have the guts to disobey his father. His terror father who is completely consumed by greed and violence.

All Augustus knows is that he owns Clementine Wright the moment he laid his eyes on her.

That night in the ocean where he saw the alluring Clementine drowning somehow bring back happy memories for he remembered how he kissed her that night. How good her lips felt that night.

Suddenly, he can't help himself from wondering if he was Clementine's first kiss.

He remembered the day when he first heard her speak. Her speaking voice is indeed music to my ears.

And how it turned him on when she began speaking her opinions like it's no big deal. As if it's acceptable to society.

Odd girl, indeed.

That's why Augustus had the guts to speak to her like that, he knew his words were sometimes 'below-the-belt' but he didn't care.

"You know what I mean," Augustus replied, now having the urge to start smashing things.

Leo Finley raised his brow due to what his friend just uttered. Leo Finley felt jealous a while ago just by seeing Clementine and Augustus constantly bickering to each other. He can feel his blood boiling when his friend starts saying inappropriate things to the girl and how the girl unconsciously drank from Augustus' teacup.

'How I wish it was my teacup," Leo thought to himself, frowning.

Leo decided to put those thoughts aside , and the next thing he knew, Clementine's face was all over his mind.

But too bad, it makes me wonder if he can sleep well tonight.

Meanwhile, Augustus Bennett just kept walking and walking around the room. He began seeing the consequences if his father learned about his interest towards a plain maid.

Augustus is perfectly sure his father would be angry and disappointed at him. Man, his father would be hollering at him and be all about what the people would say.

But he's sure his father would be okay all about this if only Augustus is only after Clementine's virginity.

In the end, Augustus didn't care for any of that for he was determined to get Clementine Wright.

Whether she likes it or not.

--

Guys, I still don't know if anyone is reading my story but if you happen to be reading it then thank you so much!

:)

Don't forget to leave a comment and a vote. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106K 4.9K 76
Melody Clementรฉ suffers nightmares of the abuse that almost cost her her life. Along with outrunning her abuser that fills her mind she also battles...
3.8M 122K 55
Highest ranking achieved in Romance: #25 GENRE: Romance, Erotica, Drama, Crime, Thriller BOOK DESCRIPTION: College student Emily Maxwell's life took...
208K 17.4K 83
In her last year studying to be a doctor, the young beauty stumbles upon someone who would change her life in the most unexpected ways...whether thro...
128K 5.4K 21
' ๐—’๐–บ๐—‡๐–ฝ๐–พ๐—‹๐–พ! male prostitute ๐—‘ ๐–ฟ๐–พ๐—†! ๐—‹๐–พ๐–บ๐–ฝ๐–พ๐—‹. โช ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ , ๐–บ ๐—†๐–บ๐—‡ ๐—๐—๐–บ๐— ๐—„๐—‡๐—ˆ๐—๐—Œ ๐—๐–พ ๐—‚๐—Œ๐—‡'๐— ๐—Œ๐—Ž๐—‰๐—‰๐—ˆ๐—Œ๐–พ๐–ฝ ๐—๐—ˆ...