Redemption

By sarcastic_sass

Hermione finds herself longing the company of the one person who'd sent her through a living hell 3 years pri... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
Epilogue

27

3.5K 169 12
By sarcastic_sass

"Dinner party?" I asked, once we'd returned to the castle and were alone in the dungeons. "Why is this the first I've heard of it?"

He turned from me, unwarding his door. "I've only recently learned of it. I didn't want Waverly overhearing anything. It might upset her."

I couldn't help the bewildered laugh that escape me. "Why would a dinner party upset your highly logical daughter?"

I couldn't believe my ears. Was the man afraid of the reaction of a 13 year old?

He blinked twice before responding. "It is taking place at Malfoy Manor."

I froze, a cold sweat beading at the nape of my neck. I hated that place. Surely, he must have known what had happened to me there. Maybe he didn't...

I changed the subject briskly. "Are you sure Mavis will be alright?" I bit my nail, an old habit I rarely indulged in anymore. "She's all by herself up there."

He nodded, taking a step closer. I suppose he must have noticed my change in stance and tone, for his next words were calmer, caressed in his smooth velvet voice. "Minerva is more than capable of watching the baby until Mr. Malfoy comes to get her. She's in good hands."

The corner of my lips lifted wearily. "I'm just a little worried, I suppose."

He raised an eyebrow, snaking out his arms and wrapping them around my waist, pulling me in. "Quite understandable. Especially after this morning's..." He paused, pressing his lips beneath my jaw. "Episode."

I sighed, leaning into him. Merlin, the man had me under some sort of spell. He pecked my lips lightly before pulling away, to my dissatisfaction. A light chuckle escaped him as he caught my scowl. "I hope you have another of those delectable dresses for this evening." His voice was low, and oh so symphonic.

I bit my lip, meeting his eyes shyly. "I don't, sadly. Though, while I was shopping with Ginny the other day, I came upon the most beautiful gown. I'll leave you to your things." I told him, turning to the staircase. "I'll be back in an hour, tops."

As I attempted to slip from his reach, his cold fingers caught my wrist, tightening around the sensitive skin. "Don't go alone. There are wicked people still."

I met his eyes, they were filled with concern and distress. "I will be perfectly fine. No one will hurt me. It's alright." 

I tried to walk away, but his grip was tight. "Darling, please, I can't bear the thought of something happening that I could have prevented."

Darling? I swooned. He was such a romantic beneath all that bitter. Can't believe I had ever thought him to be heartless. He pulled me to him, holding my face, and kissing me deeply, something in him fiery. Pulling away, I smiled gently. "If this is your response to my dress shopping, I should do it more often." He rolled his eyes, pressing a kiss to my cheek. I leaned into him. "It's morning, and I  am going into a very densely populated area for less than an hour. I'm Hermione Granger, no one would dare attack me in broad daylight."

He made to argue, but I managed to cut him off before he had the chance. "Anyone stupid enough to try can't possibly be a real threat." I kissed him softly and slipped from his arms, going up the steps two at a time. "I'll see you in an hour."

Making my way down the hill to the main gates, I had the sensation of being closely watched, though when I turned around to observe the path I'd made through the fresh fallen snow, I saw no one. Frowning, I turned back to keep walking and couldn't help the scream that left my lips. I took a deep breath, composing myself, my hand over my heart. It was going a mile a minute. "Ooh, that man gets under my skin. Thinks I can't take care of myself. Nearly as bad as the Weasleys!"

A stuttering voice replied, still in shock from our surprise encounter. "My apologies, Mistress, Master Snape asked me to keep you company. Minky never meant to upset her Mistress."

I scrunched my nose. "No worries, Minky. You haven't done anything of the sort. You startled me is all." I continued my walk to the village. "Have you ever been dress shopping?"

The little elf shook her head quickly. "Miss Ella always had private tailors, Master as well. His mother preferred he stay safe indoors. Minky respects her family's wishes. If Mistress would like to go dress shopping, Minky will keep her company."

I smiled lightly, looking down at her. "You're a good little elf, you know that? The Snapes are very lucky to have you."

Her greenish pigmented skin rosied briefly. "Minky has a lovely Mistress. Never has Minky met a kinder witch."

The creature reminded me so much of the elf who'd sacrificed everything to help us. I hadn't known him as well as Harry had, but I did know that both shared a deep loyalty to those who treated them well. "How long have you been serving the Snape family?"

She shrugged. "Minky's line has been with the Prince family for centuries. They are an old line of wizards that date back to 1573. My line has always been with them, except a cousin of mine who was sent to work for the Malfoy clan because there weren't enough Princes left to serve."

I halted, stopping before a large window display. "Hang on," I started. "Did you know Dobby?"

She nodded, her big floppy ears flapping. "Dobby spoke highly of you. He was very proud to wear your tea-cosy hats."

I giggled, remembering my terrible knitting skills. Even with magic, I had been positively wretched. "He was a lovely elf, just like you. I suppose it must run in the family." I looked up at the display, my mouth falling open. I swear, if it could have, it would have hit the ground and come right back up to smack me silly. "Minky, I think that's the dress I'm going to wear."

She hopped up and down excitedly, clapping her hands. "Oh, yes! Mistress will be the most beautiful."

I took her hand and ran into the shop, standing before the tailor, the same who'd fitted me for my other dress. "Good morning, madam." He greeted.

I couldn't help the smile that painted my face. "The dress in the display, is it for sale?"

He nodded eagerly, glancing at it. "It is one of our newest arrivals. Would you like to try it on?"

"I'd love to." I breathed excitedly. It was one of the most beautiful dresses I'd ever seen. Forget the one I saw with Ginny, this one screamed my name, begging to be worn. The man handed it to me, escorting me to the changing rooms. My hands glided along the black lace, feeling every inch of the textured fabric. I slipped into it, quickly stepping out from behind the curtain to examine it further in front of the mirrors. Minky stared at me, wide-eyed, orbs practically glazing over. The tailor nodded approvingly. I turned to see for myself and saw a breathtaking woman staring back at me from the looking glass. The sleeves were long, slightly off the shoulder, the gown reached the floor, hugging my curves in all the right places. The back was a swooping 'V', reaching to my lower back. The dress had a slight train that trailed behind me, accentuating my height, although I knew I was short. "I'll take it."

Skipping down to the dungeons, I skidded at my door, hurriedly trying to unlock it. Once again, a familiar hand reached over mine to twist it, pushing it open. "I told you, it sticks."

I turned to him, biting my lip, hiding the garment bag behind me. "I suppose I just wasn't listening the last time." I replied. "I must have been distracted."

He smirked. "By what, pray tell." He all but purred.

I pushed him away lightly with my fingertips. "Wicked man."

I slipped into my rooms, magicking the dress to the closet in my bedroom. He eyed me curiously. "What are you up to, strange little witch?"

Was it that obvious that I was hiding something? Damn. Be cool, Hermione, pull yourself together, you are a smart, talented, mature woman. Just don't say anything...

"I would invite you in, but we both know what happened the last time."

Oh, bollocks. Now you've done it, you dimpo.

A sly smile sneaked onto his face. "Is that such a bad thing?" He asked innocently. "I can't seem to recall what happened... Mind jogging my memory?"

The man was evil. I bet my last sickle that he could talk any girl he wanted out of her knickers. Then if I couldn't make more of a fool of myself, 

"By all means, sir, come in."

Blast it. I'm hopeless.

He slid by me, his hand grazing my hip. I shivered, he noticed. "How was the shopping? Was the house elf any trouble?"

I shut the door and crossed my arms over my chest. "About that, don't you trust me enough to take care of myself?"

His features turned sombre. "I trust very few, and the maniacs running about attacking war heroes are not part of that few." He stepped closer, staring down into my eyes. It took everything I had not to snog him silly, then and there.

I swallowed thickly, my eyes trailing down to his mouth and back up to meet his gaze. "That doesn't answer the question."

He came closer still, backing me up against the wall, cornering me. "Don't ask questions to which to you do not wish to hear the answer." He paused, softening his tone. "I did what I did as a precaution."

"Kiss me." I heard myself whisper. I could hear my subconscious berating me for only half-paying attention and not standing my ground, as I normally would. 

Fortunately, that part of my brain was shut up when he took me in his arms and kissed me senseless, using the wall for leverage. My body tingled from the very tips of my fingers all the way down to my toes. My hands knotting in his hair, pulling him closer. I couldn't get enough of him. I gasped as his hands ran up my torso, sliding across my back, pulling me closer. 

He stepped away after a moment and produced a bouquet from thin air, presenting it to me. "Roses?" I questioned, taking them from him delicately. His hair was a mess, his face flushed, his robes crooked. 

The left side of his mouth quirked upward momentarily. "Red, the colour of passion," He stated, standing behind me to press his lips to the side of my neck. "For the most passionate witch."

I sighed, leaning back into him. Suddenly, I felt fingers at the back of my neck, unclasping the necklace I never removed. "What are you..?"

It was quickly replaced by a short, cold chain that was tighter around my neck than the other. He stepped away, placing the diamond on the vanity shelf. He took my hand, bringing me over to the reflective surface. A tiny, beautiful white pearl sat on a silver chain at my throat. "A pearl symbolises hardships, experience, wisdom. You, my dear, have witnessed it all."

He kissed my neck again, causing my skin to rise with gooseflesh. I fingered the pendant. "Severus, it's beautiful," I claimed, looking at my reflection. "Though, you must know, I am hardly a materialistic person. I'm not used to such lavish gifts. What's the occasion?"

He shrugged. "It's Christmas." He replied. "I don't expect much in return, only that when you feel the whole world is breathing down your neck, you remember that you have someplace to go. Someone to turn to."

My breath caught in my throat, my next words swallowed by emotion. My heart was palpitating, beating wildly at the phrases born from his slightly swollen lips. Not trusting myself to speak, I wrapped my arms around him, embracing him tightly. He pressed a gentle kiss to the top of my head. "That," He whispered, something crawling into his voice. "And that it will better suit your dress."

I looked up at him quickly, my neck cracking at the sudden movement. "How do you..."

He slipped out the door and winked before closing it. "Should you need me, I will be in Hogsmeade with Waverly."

The door shut with a soft 'click' and I was alone with my thoughts.

I grinned, shaking my head. "Wicked, wicked man."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 166 23
Hermione Granger has come to an impasse in her life seven years after the Battle of Hogwarts. Her career as the Minister of Magic's Secretary has nev...
35.6K 950 24
Hermione finds herself in a plot not of her own demise. she wants to control her destiny, but being captured by death eaters throws her for a turn sh...
29.4K 1.6K 32
"With power to mend and power to break, She holds the world's destiny, her choice at stake. To save the world, she'll face the dark tide, But to seal...
23.5K 825 40
Hermione finds out about Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy's double life, she wants in. Dumbledore takes no time to think about and accepts the young w...