The Call Of A Mute Heart

By Arzuera

Your heart has always been a problem and your mute vocal chords have made it impossible to achieve your dream... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Easter Special
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Special Chapter 2
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Special Chapter War Edition pt 1
Chapter 15
Special Chapter War Edition pt 2
Chapter 16
Special Chapter War Edition pt 3
Chapter 17
Special Chapter War Edition pt 4
Chapter 18
Special Chapter War Edition 5
Chapter 19
Special Jerry Edition
Chapter 20
Special War Edition 6
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Special Chapter 4
Underfell Special 1
Underfell Special 2
Chapter 29
Underfell Special 3
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Underfell Special 4
Chapter 32
Underfell Special 5
Halloween Special 1
Halloween Special 2
Halloween Special End
Chapter 33
I'm sorry x.x
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Christmas Special
Chapter 38
I'm Sorry... again
Update
Chapter 39
Underfell Finale
Chapter 41
Underswap Special
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Underswap Special 2
Underswap Special 3
HAPPY EASTER
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Underswap Special 4
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Contest Entry Update
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Halloween 2017 pt 1
Chapter 61
Halloween 2017 pt 2
Halloween 2017 pt 3
Halloween 2017 END
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Underswap special 5
Underswap special 6
Underswap Special 7
Underswap Special END
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter 40

628 27 9
By Arzuera

Hello, everyone! sorry for the delay but I just got home. Just a few things.

1. can someone draw me sassy jersey girl sans? PLEASE

2. since people are curious I'll be posting the word count and this one is 2752 which is less than what I normally do.

Also when I logged on I had over 200 notifications! Thanks guys XD

~~~~~

This couldn't be happening. It just couldn't be. You poked the two foreign things on the top of your head as if to make sure that they were still there.

They were.

You silently grumbled to yourself as your new cat ears mirrored your mood and laid back on the top of your head. This time you had a wonderful view of it from the bathroom mirror and you had to admit that it was pretty cute. Alphys did a good job with her weird magical chemistry. Yet, they weren't after-the-3-hours-she-had-said good. It was well, WELL past the 3 hours that the yellow monster had said they would last. They were officially moving onto their second day of existence and you were starting to get worried.

Monsters and humans are completely different when it comes down to it. What may only last a few hours for a monster may become permanent for a human. The only reason you were thinking that was because their bodies were made of magic. Their bodies can change much easier because it can be easily influenced by outside sources.

Mettaton and Sans had both proven those things to you when you had asked. The skeleton had made a tongue appear and Mettaton had somehow made his canines elongate into fangs. His body wasn't even originally his either but the ghost still had influence over it. Both relatively minor things but they got the point across.

Whereas, human bodies are much more solid. The flesh and bone is a lot harder to change and you were pretty sure that was why it hurt so much when the ears were forming because humans aren't supposed to change like that. It probably would have only been a mild discomfort for a monster. During the talk with Alphys, she pretty much hinted at that without outright saying it. But the worried look on your friends' faces was still in your mind when you had told them how excruciating it had been.

This wouldn't do though. After all this time, you finally had an official date with Mettaton. A date! None of that impromptu stuff that seemed to happen a lot until now. An actual date! He had even done it in a way that still made your heart jump. A few days ago you had heard this odd pattern of familiar sounds. Some were short bursts while the others were longer. But you couldn't see who it was coming from. Having dealt with significantly weirder things, you shrugged it off as you tried to figure out why the pattern seemed familiar in a way.

After scrounging the deepest recesses of your brain, you finally remembered that it vaguely reminded you of Morse code. There was no way that was a coincidence. So you immediately turned the short bursts and dashes of sound into a song in your head. That way you wouldn't forget. When lunch hit you went online on your phone and looked it all up on your break. It had taken a bit to decipher because you hadn't started the notes in the beginning. You had started to memorize them around the halfway point. All it took was some minor tweaking and the message became clear.

Would you like to go out on Friday night? MTT

If you could have screamed in delight you would have as you stood up from your booth in MTT's restaurant and fist pumped the air excitedly. An actual date! You spam texted yes to the poor guy until you heard the repeated sounds of someone getting a lot of text messages at once in the booth behind you.

A deep chuckle was heard as Mettaton sat up from his lying down position in the booth looking at you with amusement. The love tuner was in his mouth as he played the pattern perfectly again and your mouth practically dropped open. Not only had he asked you out in a creative and unorthodox way but he had used the gift you had given him to do it.

Clever robot. Veeeerrry clever.

You weren't sure what exactly he had planned but you did know that it didn't include his girlfriend having cat ears. Not that they weren't cute but they would most definitely be a hindrance if you were out in the open with them. People would probably think one of three things. That you were either a cosplayer, a monster, or the spawn of a human and a monster.

The first one wasn't so bad but the other two... could be very bad. Especially the last one.

Mettaton Taking Humanoid Monster Out on The Town!

Can Monsters and Humans Have Children? The Truth Revealed!

Mettaton's Secret Human Affair? Go to page 69 for details!

Ignoring your own slightly dirty joke, you shook your head. The likelihood of the article being on that page were slim but the possibility of those being written were almost 100%. You had to hide the ears or cancel the date and stay in until they were gone. Those were your only options.

Heading into your bedroom, you began to dig around for something that you could wear that wouldn't look out of place but was comfortable at the same time. Even though they weren't supposed to last, the ears were surprisingly sensitive and you did not want to be uncomfortable for the whole night. Flattening your ears with a cloth headband, you maneuvered a baseball cap over top and looked at yourself in the hand mirror.

Yeah, that wasn't going to work. It didn't fit the dressy casual look you had been going for. You dug through what you had until you just fell onto your bed frustrated. There was nothing that you liked but you HAD to pick something. But none of it worked well enough to not have it be a red flag that you were hiding something from Mettaton. What would he think of these new additions anyway? Other than the fact that he would more than likely chew Alphys out for her carelessness. Probably Sans too.

Though the skeleton would probably just think this whole scenario was hilarious, which you had to admit it kind of was, unless they turned out to be permanent. Then he would beat himself up about it every time he spotted them on your head while he and Alphys set out to make a cure. Which bothered you more then he realized. The poor monsters already had demons. You didn't want to add another into the mix.

"I've got a delivery that's going to make your heart sing." a familiar deep voice rang out from your living room. Pulling you out of your thoughts. You had been wondering when Sans was coming back.

After it had been made abundantly clear that the ears weren't going to disappear anytime soon, you had been sent home with Sans sleeping over in case something odd happened. They weren't going to allow you to drink the soul shake until the magic had run its course for fear that the two different magics could cause a bad reaction. Cat ears were an inconvenience but not horrible. Two magics mixing within a solid human shell with no means to escape could be really really bad.

When you had gotten up this morning, Sans was already back at the university. He had been teleporting back and forth to keep an eye on you but if there was going to be any other side effects they would have made themselves known by this point. You had been asleep during his last check in (you only knew because he had left a note on the kitchen counter.). So you weren't sure if he knew if you still had the ears or not,

Judging by the fact he was back with some soul shake (when you first tried it the effect had made you feel better almost immediately and the aura around your SOUL pulsed vibrantly. You had said that it was singing.), he more than likely didn't. With a heavy sigh, you stood up from the mess that was once your bedroom and made your way over to the skeleton. Your suspicions confirmed by the colorful drink he held in his boney hand. "As much as I know how that would lift my spirits. I can't have that." You signed to the skeleton and you swore that you had saw the pinpricks in his eye sockets dim a small bit.

"...Why not...?" Sans eyed the top of your head skeptically and that's when you realized that you still had the headband on that was keeping your ears pinned down. Without signing a word, you pulled the headband off and they sprung back up almost instantly. Slightly relieved now that the constricting cloth wasn't on them anymore. It hadn't been uncomfortable but it felt weird when they couldn't move like they should. "Oh... pawfect..." The sarcasm was heavy in his voice and all you could do was roll your eyes.

"Most definitely. These litter additions are going to be just wonderful for my date tonight." Yes, you signed a pun but you weren't really feeling it. Your mind was buzzing with all the bad scenarios and you were getting to the point that maybe you should call it off. It stung to even think about but there was much more at stake than just missing a reservation at a fancy restaurant or something.

Mettaton would be disappointed. He has been looking forward to this for the past few days and he had made it known to almost everyone. You would rather he be a little disappointed than the next big celebrity gossip and it wouldn't be the good kind of gossip either. "Oh no. Don't you go making that face with those ears."

Blinking, you cocked an eyebrow curiously at the stout skeleton who had set the shake on your coffee table. "What face...?"

"THAT one." He gestured to your face but there was no way you could see it unless he had a mirror. "You have these big somber eyes and with the ears... its worse that the damn puppy face. You are going on that date. Don't let something like this ruin your night."

"Then what should I do?" you signed completely flummoxed. The only reason why you had gotten away with just a headband was because Sans was close to your height. Making it harder for him to see the top of your head unless he REALLY wanted to. Mettaton was easily a few feet taller than you and there was no way that he wouldn't get a good look at the top of your head.

The skeleton scratched his chin in thought for a moment before snapping his fingers and blipping out of existence. Which was weird because your new ears picked up on the sound of the time space distortion that his teleporting gave off. It didn't sound as fluid as you thought it would. Instead, it was almost like static.

You didn't have to wait long for the skeleton monster to pop back into existence in your living room. This time the popping sound was laced with the static. Sans tossed something at you and you barely registered it in time to catch it before it hit you in the face. In your hands was an odd hat that was designed to look like a skull. Taking an even better look you had to hold back the laughter that wanted to make its way out.

It was a skull cap.

Designed to look like a skull.

Why or where Sans got this, you had no idea but it was so him that you just couldn't deny it. You could see the skeleton grin brightly at you as the realization of what it was spread across your features. "Just wear that. Say I dared you or that you lost a bet with me and have to wear it for awhile. Now you won't have to be skullking on your date."

That... was actually a brilliant idea. You and Sans were pulling stupid shit like this all the time. It wouldn't be weird to Mettaton or your friends at all if you were forced to wear a skullcap for awhile because you had lost to the skeleton. This guy... was too smart for his own good.

Still. You went into the bathroom with Sans following so that you could put it on over the headband and make your hair look nice. Moving the strands around so that they were framing your face instead of pushed out of the way. Whirling around, you make a pose. "How do I look?"

"Tibia, honest... I think it looks skulltacular." You could practically hear the smugness in the skeleton's voice as he said it, giving you a thumbs up all the while.

"Haha. Since you kind of got me into this mess, YOU'RE going to help me pick out an outfit." You signed to him making sure to point at him at the 'you're' part. With all the digging for a hat, you kind of gave up looking for a suitable outfit. "And I want full sassy fashionista commentary."

"Gurl, y'know I got your back." The way Sans had said that line in his deep voice caught you off guard and he knew it would too. He had said in full jersey girl reality TV star style. Perfectly. You were rolling on the floor of your bathroom. Silent laughter engulfing your entire being. There was no way in hell that Sans would have done that normally. The only reason why he did it now was because he knew it would get you. If it wasn't obvious by the shit eating grin plastered to his skull. "C'mon. Let's go check out your threads."

You're dying.

This skeleton was going to kill you with laughter. Best medicine your ass.

After a good two hours of going through your clothes and trying on pretty much everything you owned, your bad mood about the ears were long gone. Sans had done what you asked and kept up the accent and speech style the entire time. Never afraid to voice every single opinion on the outfit you walked out in. Which made the whole thing worse because of two things; the first was that you knew you couldn't take his opinions seriously and the second was that you often had to take a few minutes to collect yourself because you were laughing to hard at his commentary.

He was doing it on purpose and you loved him for it. In the end, though, the decision was made for you as Mettaton pulled into your driveway and your new ears picked up on the clicking of heels up to your front door. This was an unexpected bonus. Your hearing range had definitely increased. Sans gave you a thumbs up at your outfit and it wasn't the worst ensemble either. You wouldn't look out of place if you went somewhere fancy nor would you look overdressed if you went to a normal one.

Steeling yourself, you adjust the skullcap on your head and go to answer the door leaving Sans in your bedroom.. Opening it just before Mettaton could knock, surprising the robot a bit. He quickly recovered and gave you a dazzling smile. "Ready to go, beautiful?" His one visible eyebrow quirking up a bit at your odd choice in head wear no doubt. But for now he didn't ask about it.

You nod your head earnestly, making sure to wave at Sans who was peeking in at the two of you from your bedroom down the hall. You almost snorted at the way only the top half of his skull was peering out. It looked really childish. The dork.

Turning back around and locking the door behind, you follow Mettaton to his normal car and eagerly slide into the passenger seat. No limo this time meaning he didn't want to draw unnecessary attention to himself. The robot star was already trying to make this about the two of you as much as possible.

Feeling your SOUL swell in your chest you nodded to yourself in the rear view mirror as Mettaton got into the driver's seat. If he was going to go the extra length to make this date awesome then you would be damned if kitty ears were going to get in your way.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

291 14 19
RUN. HIDE. KEEP RUNNING. KEEP HIDING. YOU CAN RUN, BUT YOU CAN'T HIDE FOREVER. UNLESS YOU KILL. This human did not know these rules. She's in for a s...
113K 2.9K 21
After seeing a certain human perform on his stage, Mettaton asks Alphys to make him as human as possible. Once you reject him after that well... Ther...
7.3K 318 19
•❤• Leaving a place that gave you warmth, you struggled to went across the snowy fields only to meet thousands and different monsters. As surprising...
17.3K 868 20
"I couldn't hold my breath for so long, my vision was all blurry, and my hearing muffled. I heard a loud splash and saw something red and flowing. I...