Graveyard, Backyard

By poetrythanki

Welcome to the ominous town of Havendell, where the lives of three individuals collide in a haunting tale. Cl... More

PART ONE ~ Empty Grave
1. Dumbstruck
2. Confused
3. Cold War
4. Housewarming
5. Disgusting Lie
Chapter 6 - Nightmare
Chapter 7 - The Truth
Chapter 8 - The Uninvited
Chapter 9 - Broken Bones
Chapter 10 - Kidnapped
Chapter 11 - Betrayed
Chapter 12 - Revelation
Chapter 13 - Joys of Drowning
Chapter 14 - Escape Plan
Chapter 15 - Decisions
Chapter 16 - Guilt
Chapter 17 - The House Next Door
Chapter 18 - Escaping
Chapter 19 - Amulet
Chapter 20 - A Normal Day
Chapter 21 - Haunting Past
Chapter 22 - The Beginning
Chapter 23 - A Missing Day
Chapter 24 - A Night to Remember
Chapter 25 - Losing Him
Chapter 26 - Saving Him
Chapter 27 - My Grim
Chapter 28 - What keeps me Alive
Chapter 29 - Other way
Chapter 30 - Dementor
Chapter 31 - Stranger
Chapter 32 - The Twin Brides
Chapter 33 - Latched
Chapter 34 - Confession
Chapter 35 - The Curse
Chapter 36 - More lies
Chapter 37 - Down The Lake
Chapter 38 - Nightmare Come True
Chapter 39 - Beginning of the End
Chapter 40 - Backstabbing
Chapter 41 - Encounter with Death
Chapter 42 - Sinking Hope
Chapter 43 - How It Ends
Chapter 44 : Ruins and Remains
- Acknowledgements -
PART TWO ~ Cursed Amulet
45. Silence Before The Storm
46. Change of Plans
47. Bystander
48. Hot and Cold
49. Revival and Rivalry
50. The Bond
51. The Anchor
52. Claustrophobic
53. What hurts the most
54. Delusion
55. Road Trip
56.1 - Back Story
56.2 - Back Story
57. A Bad Feeling
58. The Narrator
59. Unravel
60. Instincts
61. Broken Bonds
62. And It Begins..
63. Lost Lover
64. The Dance Of Death
65. Farewell
66. Starting Anew
67. Epilogue
You could reread GYBY or...

56.3 - Back Story

8.8K 611 44
By poetrythanki

Her eyes went wide with terror and somehow it bedazzled me. I could feel her thoughts as it ran from confusion to acknowledgment to horror.

She saw me as if I was a normal guy showing off my skills completely unaware of how horribly I've destroyed some lives. But the question was how could she see me? I didn't know then that she had moved to the cursed house.

Thinking I had somehow allowed her to see me, made me come up with an excuse. A prank, yeah it could totally be one.

"Whoa wait!" Rick interrupted, "I used that exact same prank on her when I first met her."

"Really?" Ander was amused.

"But it was actually a prank. Unlike yours." He added before Ander continued.

She cursed me after I revealed that it was supposed to be a prank. The relief in her eyes made me smile; she actually thought I was a ghost (which I was). She ran off while I was laughing on the ground, thinking I'd never see her again. Not at least face to face.

I wish I was right.

I was just chilling by the swing when I saw her again. My dead heart thumped again (not really) when I saw her coming out of my house.

"What are you doing here?" I asked naturally although I knew she wouldn't hear me. I only appear before my prey.

She stopped. She had heard me! She turned towards me with disgust on her face.

"I could ask you the same." She folded her hands, demanding me an answer.

What to do? Go along, my instincts told.

My inside electrified when she confirmed she lived here. She lived in the cursed house! A teen girl who could be bound to my deathly game.

That was the last thing I wanted to do to her. I couldn't continue with that. It had to stop. But she appeared younger. Maybe I could chase her off before she turned 17.

But she was stubborn as hell. She didn't hear anything I said. And that made me red with anger.

Why can't she hear for God's sake! I warned her and she mocked me back as if she was still angry with the prank I pulled, which obviously wasn't a prank.

She still shouldn't be able to see me. She was clearly not 17 or I would've sensed her regardless of her living in the cursed house. Something was different.

But, my rage won't help her, so I thought to mend things and try to convince her. I knew I'd come up with an agreeable lie as I'd mastered in it.

I sensed a baked cake in Monroe house. I always do. But Rachel wasn't around when I peeked in and saw it sitting on the counter ready for someone to devour. She'd made a cake for Emily too. Maybe she'd made it for that girl as well?

Stealing the cake, I went to her house, hoping I'd save her somehow. There was time.

But her stubbornness! I liked that. She was eyeing the cake as if she wanted to eat it in one go. I wanted to discuss the situation she was in but she dismissed me. I couldn't speak.

Hours later she came to the Monroe house (l would haunt there as I couldn't be in the cursed house due to her) and slammed the cake on my face. The cake was rotten. She'd thought I pulled another prank. But such things happen when there's supernatural presence in the house.

It was in that moment I knew she'll be troublesome for me. The demonic part of me wanted to tie her up to me and never let her go.

However, I tried. I acted as if I was Monroe's son. As if I lost my little sister. I thought about Dora and warned her. She'd almost believed me, but then she flipped off. Her ever-so-strong walls lowered, revealing her vulnerable side.

I had to do something as fast as I can. I was being drawn to her, I could taste her soul, her secrets opening up to me.

Her name was Claire Hunter, younger daughter of Juliet & Ron Hunter. Parents divorced; mother moved to the city. Juliet had a twin sister named Rebecca. Claire wasn't aware of that but her aunt was killed here in the same house she was living. I had killed her.

Days later, I sensed her physical pain. And the realization how connected we were almost killed me, even though I wasn't alive. I rushed to her, saw her withering in pain near the staircase. I had to save her.

Even my demonic side agreed. She was next prey; if anything happens to her, I won't be able to kill her in the end. Her being hurt won't help me. It helped me turn visible to others.

I drove her to hospital praying she was alright. I called her mom and acted as I was a passerby, trying to help her daughter out. Her brother tried to investigate me. I lied blatantly; it was my talent. I had to get away from them before they pry on me more. I knew Claire was aware of my lies.

I snatched her out of her house a few days later to discuss the paranormal activity. She was previously attacked by a spirit, she knew that too. I flirted with her instead. I cursed myself for trying to attract her in my trap. I was losing control.

Fighting my urges, I warned her to get away. She told me she was turning 17 a couple of days later.

I was internally screaming. She has to go away from the house, detach herself anyhow. I didn't want her to have the same end as everyone. I was consoling myself that it was because I was tired of it. I had reached my limit.

But the truth was, I was falling for her. I was caring for her, not my demonic part, but my rational side.

That had never happened before.

Although we were polar opposites, I found similarities between us. Like me, Claire would rush to the lake every time she was upset or frustrated. The lake holds all our sorrows and tears within it. That's where I found her on her 17th birthday.

She was shaking, sobbing with her head down. I knew it won't be that easy for her to get away. She had time, or at least I had thought.

I pushed her in to cheer her up, unaware that she couldn't swim. My worry for her when she was drowning connected us somehow; I was getting attached to her. I saw her fears, the ghost of memories swarming around her in the murky water when I pulled her out.

I flirted some more and introduced myself as - Will. The Monroe's dead son. We talked like old buddies. I learned about her, she learned about me without even knowing it. When I told her that I feared to lose those that I love, her eyes shifted as if she was able to look past the facade, as if she could reach me.

She was determined to leave this place; smart move. And I know she would go away. I felt an ache, one that I've never experienced in a century when I thought I'd never meet her again. But, at least she will be safe; that's what kept me sane.

I was wrong. She came again. I was pissed and didn't waste a moment to let her know. All I wished was to send her away from me. She didn't understand and broke in tears. I held her in my arms, even if it was for one and only time. And that was my mistake. We were getting even more attached to each other, two - sided attraction. It was advantageous for me, lethal for her.

"You're stronger than you think," I said, gently kissing her forehead. 'I'm not' I wanted to add but she wouldn't understand that.

Although it felt like chocking and sickening, I told her about a demonic spirit who could destroy her life. I would've said that demon was me if I could. She rushed back towards her house, dragging my soul with her.

The harm was done.

I struggled to stay away from her. Restraining myself from stopping her. That's when I saw Theodora. She gave Claire a protection amulet; Dora might have a premonition about Claire being the next prey. And she was helping her to stay away from me.

The protection charm built a gap between our souls, that helped Claire for time being but the bond was growing stronger. Stronger than Dora would've forecasted. The amulet was useless in little time.

Soon after she reached Rivera, our souls got inseparable. My rational side grew weaker; the demonic one getting stronger and stronger.

I killed Claire's ex who was trying to get back with her. It wasn't necessary. I had never killed anyone else unless it was the last option.

After her boyfriend died, she was worried about me. Claire and Aria tried to talk with Mrs. Monroe; I was present there. I rang the doorbell, Rachel rushed to opened it after leaving the phone on the kitchen counter like I'd predicted. Rachel's insanity had helped me.

I still tried to warn her, not to return to Havendell under any circumstances, even though I was sure that was inevitable.

She had to return.

I tried to take over Aria but it was near to impossible as if there was some protection around her. Although I wouldn't have killed her. So, I took over her dad. He was weak internally and it damaged him beyond I'd thought to harm him.

I forced Claire to come back to Havendell. She was all alone on a highway in her PJs with nothing but grievance for her fate. I've never hated myself as much as in that moment.

Moreover, she called me of all people. I was around her but I couldn't declare that. It would be irrational so I made a plan to meet halfway. I lied about taking a bus as time and space were not a bother in my realm. I could be anywhere if it's necessary but my ties to the place I lived in weighed me down.

I was terrified when I'd to meet her. What if she declares her love for me? I knew she was attracted to me if not love. But, she was in critical condition mentally that could make her confess as she thought I was in danger.

"This is wrong." I'd said to her when I met her. "Dangerous!"

I drove back her to the hell while pondering how could I save her now that I've possessed her soul. There has to be a way to save her from me.

When we reached Havendell in the morning, she asked me about Ander Booth.

My name from her lips.

It came as a shock to me. What if she knew about the curse? About my reality? But that wasn't possible. She'd be dead; I would've made sure of that.

She asked about Ander Booth's grave. And the deaths in the cursed house. I explained more about the curse. We both got worried.

And then it finally clicked. Exorcism. 'Why didn't I think about that earlier!'

As long as my rational being was aware of everything, I'd gladly let her go. I'd fight as hard as I could. I just wanted her safe.

But there were risks. Risks about what the curse will make me do when the time comes. Risks about what the ghosts of people will do.

Exorcism would free Claire and the house from us. In exchange, every spirit, including me would suffer for eternity. We'd neither go to hell or heaven. Neither could be reborn or haunt on earth. A punishment in nothingness; worse than being at the deepest level of hell.

We fought like a married couple then. I wanted her near me and safe. But that was impossible. I didn't want her to get much attached to me, in that way I'd buy some time. I still followed her like a nasty stalker, waiting in the dark to attack her in her weakest.

And then the day, when Eric realized that Monroe's son, Will have died a year back and the one Claire was talking about might be the cursed soul he'd heard that devoured innocent souls. I had no other option but to kill him before he told Claire the truth.

Another kill done effortlessly.

There was a silence. Ander knew that bringing that up would be painful for Rick.

"Do you regret it?" Rick asked in a flat tone.

"I don't think I'd ever forgive myself for that." He replied, feeling the guilt weighing down on him.

"So then? You went crazy over Jackie?" Rick smiled a little, more like smirk, mocking Ander in a teasing way.

It gave Ander the courage to finish his story.

I kissed Claire. Something I'd wished for so long; a guilty pleasure. But I had evil motives behind it. I wanted her to trust me.

I took her to Dora. Something I should've done earlier. But how could I face her after what I did to Dora? To her family? If I had gathered up the courage to see her, I'd be able to appear before her. I knew that. My powers were stronger due to my obsession with Claire. But, I was a coward.

Dora explained her about the curse. How it tried to make me fall in love with young maidens only to take their life in the end. How it tries to break my heart and feel the pain of losing someone I irrevocably loved.

Dora knew the moment Claire talked about her 'Will', she meant me. Dora also found out that I loved Claire. She kept up with the lie and told Claire everything she needed to know. The warmth for cursed Ander in Claire's heart terrified me.

We were running out of time. I pestered Claire to prepare for exorcism. There was no way my curse would let me do that.

But the day came when Gabriela finally took over Jake. It wasn't me. She was sensing my bond with Claire and she hated her for that. Gabriela would sooner or later try to harm Claire, I was aware of that.

But, the amulet helped Claire. When I went to Claire in the backyard that night, Rick was already there. But the circumstances allowed me to appear before him too.

I stayed the night with her. Holding my sanity and thinking. This was coming to an end. Either Claire would die and free me from my curse or I'll be exorcised, freeing Claire.

I hoped for the latter but fate had never been in my favor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

426 47 12
He smiled, and my heart started thumping wildly again. "Curiosity killed the cat, you know." He said, his voice soft as velvet. "But the cat also has...
761 190 20
Hannah's new home hides a chilling secret: a hidden portal leading to its past. There, she meets Nathan, a boy cursed by his witch mother to find lov...
8K 381 124
He's dark, handsome And completely unobtainable. While the death of her mother haunts her, eighteen-year-old Zoe goes through a difficult period and...
50.8K 2.3K 34
Hope is now a witch. She never realized becoming one meant dealing with evil. She soon is learning that being a witch comes with a lot of bad consequ...