The Call Of A Mute Heart

By Arzuera

Your heart has always been a problem and your mute vocal chords have made it impossible to achieve your dream... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Easter Special
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Special Chapter 2
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Special Chapter War Edition pt 1
Chapter 15
Special Chapter War Edition pt 2
Chapter 16
Special Chapter War Edition pt 3
Chapter 17
Special Chapter War Edition pt 4
Chapter 18
Special Chapter War Edition 5
Chapter 19
Special Jerry Edition
Chapter 20
Special War Edition 6
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Special Chapter 4
Underfell Special 1
Underfell Special 2
Chapter 29
Underfell Special 3
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Underfell Special 4
Chapter 32
Underfell Special 5
Halloween Special 1
Halloween Special 2
Halloween Special End
Chapter 33
I'm sorry x.x
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Christmas Special
Chapter 38
I'm Sorry... again
Update
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Underfell Finale
Chapter 41
Underswap Special
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Underswap Special 2
Underswap Special 3
HAPPY EASTER
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Underswap Special 4
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Contest Entry Update
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Halloween 2017 pt 1
Chapter 61
Halloween 2017 pt 2
Halloween 2017 pt 3
Halloween 2017 END
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Underswap special 5
Underswap special 6
Underswap Special 7
Underswap Special END
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Epilogue
Final Author's Note

Chapter 2

1.5K 59 29
By Arzuera

PLEASE READ

A/N

 I'm so glad everyone has enjoyed that first chapter. To be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing with this story or where it is going. This concept kept burning in my brain and I ended up staying up all night to write it. It makes me happy! But I will say this: It will be a slow build. There will not be the classic "I loved you when I saw you!"

Yes, it may appear the Sans is the key dude but he is not! Sans will just be the awesomely sweet big brother or best friend. He is the kind of guy who (once he was friends with them) would do anything to protect a friend. That's what he is here!

Also I will be updating this once a week. I will tell you if something has come up! One more thing! I actually will be including the song that won and I would love it if anyone could help me turn it into a real thing. Please don't be afraid to message me!

Thanks again for reading!

==========================================================================

You were peeking out your window, in the living room. Watching a certain stout skeleton put something in your mailbox. Sans looked up at your house and gave you a small wave. How he knew you were watching or if he even knew you were there, you weren't sure. He then sauntered back across the street. This had been going on for a few weeks now. It had actually started after the day you had gone over to their house for dinner. That had been quite the ordeal.

When you arrived, Papyrus had caught you in another surprise hug that left your heart erratic. If Sans hadn't been there to distract his brother before it got worse....you may have ended up in the hospital. He then helped you calm down and whenever Papyrus seemed to get to excited he would make a comment to distract his brother away from you. Sans may appear to be aloof and laid back.... But that lazy skeleton knew what he was doing. Even though it was obvious your reaction to Papyrus's hug wasn't normal, the taller skeleton brother didn't seem to notice, which meant you had to be extra careful around the excitable skeleton. Not that he meant you any harm. He was one of the sweetest people...er monster you have ever met. However the rest of the evening had gone off without any problems and it was a lot of fun. It had been a long time since you hung out with anyone like that.

But old habits are hard to break. After that night, you went back to what you normally did; hiding from the world. The paranoid fears, of possible attacks, keeping you from exiting the house. Your skeletal neighbors seemed to notice your absence rather quickly. Despite texting back and forth, the skeletons had begun to leave little gifts for you in your mailbox. Every other day it would be something different; little jokes on notes, tupper-ware dishes full of spaghetti, things to play practical jokes on people. Though you weren't sure who you were going to use them on since you rarely had visitors. It was unexpected but the little gestures really brightened your day. When night came, you would return the favor with something nice or a thank you note. As for why they had started this tradition.....you hadn't the faintest idea. You didn't know them that well but it was nice to think that you actually had friends to talk to. Even if it was in this odd way.

Your eyes drifted around the rather boring room you currently sat in. The silence of the house was starting to get to you. It always did. Eventually, you turned on something for background noise. Though that didn't always work. The emptiness of the house would just creep up your back and haunt you like a ghost. If it wasn't for the fact that you had health problems you would probably have a pet. But your own issues worried you to much to even consider the possibility of taking care of another life. So you lounged in your living room in silence, watching the day outside from the couch.

God, it was nice out. Mother Nature seemed to enjoy taunting you. It was another beautiful day but there was no one about now that Sans had gone back inside. You should probably go see what he had put in your mailbox but decided to do it later. With a heavy sigh, you stood up, turning off the TV that you had on, and walked down the hall to your music room. Unlike the rest of the house, it actually looked nice. Musical instruments lined the walls and bookshelves full of sheet music were stacked under them.The loneliness you felt seemed to diminish a bit. This room always had a way of turning your mood around.

Taking your violin, you began to play a somber tune, expressing yourself in a way that your voice couldn't. Throwing your all into it, you swayed your hips and allowed the music to tell the world how you felt, your bow sliding expertly across the strings. The haunting melody filled the house and drove out the silence that had threatened to bring you down. Time seemed to blur as you played, ignoring the world and just letting the music call out. It wasn't until your phone vibrated in your pocket did you come to a stop. Who could that be? You maneuvered the phone into your hand, while still holding the bow. Sans. Odd. He normally sent you a pun when he woke up or right before bed. You opened the text.

Sans 3:09pm

Hey. You may wanna answer your door. You don't want them to knock it down.

Now that you weren't playing, a persistent knocking on your front door reached your ears. A smirk forming on your face. Knock it down. Sans doesn't miss a chance on the puns. You thanked Sans for the heads up and slipped your phone back into your pocket, heading out of the room and down the hall. The knocking on the door was continuous. Continuous and loud. Their hands had to hurt by now. Who could it be?

You were still reeling from the fact that you had been playing the violin for 5 hours. It was so easy for you to lose yourself in the music. As you stood in front of the door, you shook your head. Enough thinking there was someone pounding on the door, hopefully they didn't break it. You started to open the door, when it was forced the rest of the way open. Causing you to take a couple steps back from the force.

"HELLO THERE, DARLING~"

A large figure strutted into your line of sight and your heart jumped in your chest. The current most popular, international, monster idol was standing on your doorstep. Mettaton. THE METTATON! Why was he here? What would he want with you? He stood there looking at you with a big sassy smile, his hands splayed on his hips. Behind him people surged, stopping short of running the monster star over. Flashes from photography and lights from the cameras blinded you, causing you to squint and look away. All the people started talking at once. It was loud. It was bright. It was to much!

Your heart pounded frantically in your chest from all the commotion and shock. The pain increasing with every beat but you didn't have time to focus on breathing, long metal arms pulled you into a hug right in front of the cameras. The android monster struck a pose with his arm wrapped tightly around your shoulders. " After THREE hours of persistence, we finally get to see the beauty behind the door~" Mettaton said as he addressed the cameras in a melodramatic triumphant manner.

You trembled in pain against Mettaton's metallic form. The cameras were all up in your face.Was this a live recording? Were thousands of people going to witness one of your attacks on national television? No. That wasn't going to happen. You scrunched up your face and tried to relax yourself, taking low shallow breaths. It was bad enough that Sans had noticed. There was no way you were going to allow this to happen on national TV.

All your concentration was on your frantic heart, willing it to calm down. Hopefully, you just looked like you were starstruck, instead of a hyperventilating scared girl. It was taking a lot to stop yourself from showing the pain on your face. You gripped the neck of the violin and bow tightly that you had unintentionally brought with you. Using the instrument for comfort. That didn't go unnoticed.

"Now beauties and gentlebeauties! This is a very special announcement but I will get to that in just a moment~" Mettaton winked teasingly to the cameras. He then gave you one of his showstopping smiles. "I must ask, darling, were you the one playing that absolutely beautiful music while we waited out here?"

Your eyes dart to the ground and you nod weakly, your body trembling even more. Maintaining your composure was getting harder to do. "Really, darling? That's absolutely wonderful! I'm so glad I get to work with such a talented young lady." Mettaton moved so that you were kind of behind him but played it off as him leaning towards the cameras. It was as if he noticed your discomfort and moved so that you weren't in the spotlight anymore. Wait.... What did he just say? Work with...? What did he mean by-

"That's right, everyone! Are you ready everyone for my special announcement?" He paused for a dramatic effect, pulling you soul crushingly close. Looking at you again with another big smile "Congratulations, darling! You have won, my fabulous song entry contest!"

Contest? What contest? What did he mea- OH! THE SONG CONTEST! Your mind raced. You had completely forgotten about it in the few weeks since you mailed your lyrics. The odds of you winning were so poor you had already written it off. Preferring to drown yourself in your own world of music. If it wasn't for the fact that Mettaton was holding you up, you would have fallen to the floor. He was looking at you expectantly as if he was waiting for you to say something. An awkward silence immediately followed. Between your hands being full and trying not to die on national TV, you couldn't think of anything to say.

"Hmm? Speechless, darling? That's okay! I was speechless when I read that magnificent song you wrote!" He loosened his tight hug and you stood on wobbly legs. When was this going to end? "That's all for my special announcement! I can't wait to perform this lovely lady's song, for you all! Remember everyone....Stay absolutely beautiful~"

Mettaton struck a farewell pose for a few moments then the cameras were dropped and the people moved to load everything into the vans that were lined in front of your house. It was just you and Mettaton in front of your house now. You let out a small sigh but maintained your composure, despite the pain. If you continued to maintain a normal face then he wouldn't notice. Your mind on trying to not blow this once in a lifetime opportunity. A piece of paper was put in front of your face. With a shaking hand you took it, after you transferred your bow to the other hand with the violin, and looked up to see that Mettaton had released you. The monster idol now stood in front of you. His tall figure was bent down so that you were at eye level.

Pink eyes looked at you concerned and he had an apologetic smile on his face. "You're such a trooper, darling. If I had known you would have such a reaction.... I wouldn't have put you in front of the cameras like that. I'm truly sorry for putting you on the spot like this..." You shook your head fervently. There was no way he could have known. But as for what he meant by reaction... He didn't elaborate. Hopefully, he thought it was just a horrible case of stage fright. "Well anyway.... All the information you need is on that piece of paper. I'll be expecting you at my studio tomorrow. I can't wait to work with you, my little songbird~"

A blush spread across your cheeks as, Mettaton gave you a playful wink before heading out, leaving you alone on your front step. That nickname....He had quoted a lyric from your song right back at you. Your heart beat even harder and you winced. So he actually had read your son-

"HUMAN! I DIDN'T KNOW YOU KNEW METTATON!" called Papyrus as he dashed across the street to meet you, Sans on his heels.

Your eyes grew wide with fear as they approached. No! No! No! No! No! No! Why did they have to come over now? You had finally had a moment to yourself and had allowed your facade to drop. Everything had gotten worse after Mettaton had left. Your breathing had become more labored. The pain in your chest was excruciating.

"Hey, kiddo. I didn't know you were so popul-" Sans stopped talking when he saw your face.

Everything you held clattered to the floor. With a sharp intake of breath, you clutched desperately at your heart, wanting to claw it out. It hurt.... It hurt so much. No more.... Please! You gave into the pain, tears streaming down your cheeks while you tried to breath evenly. Your legs gave and your body hit the cold pavement, trembling violently.

"HUMAN!"

"KID!"

Both the skeletons rushed over. Papyrus flailed around flustered, looking to his brother for guidance. Sans picked you up bridal style, carrying you as if you would break at the slightest gust of wind. He dashed into your house and, after getting momentarily lost, laid you on your bed.

"It's alright kid. You'll be fine. Just focus on your breathing. Calm yourself-"

"SANS...? What's wrong with the human?" Papyrus said extremely worried, his voice dropping to a normal tone. He paced the little area in front of your bed. Not knowing what he should be doing.

Oh no. You didn't want to worry Papyrus but there wasn't much you could do. The darkness had started to creep in on your vision. The awful darkness that always scared you. The darkness that you feared you would never wake up from. Your trembling got even worse at the thought and it didn't go unnoticed.

"Dammit. I'm calling 911." Sans whispered, pulling out his phone.

No! If you were sent to the hospital then you couldn't work on your song with Mettaton. It was highly unlikely that he would wait for you to get out of the hospital.Your dreams of being a song writer would be dashed. With your future up in there air, due to your illness, you didn't want to lose this chance.Weakly, you grab at Sans arm that held his phone. He looked down at you. Fear and concern was all you could see on his face.

Keeping eye contact with him, you shook your head slowly. Pleading at him with your eyes. "Please don't." you signed to him. "I'll be fine."

"Kiddo, you are far from fine." Sans shook his head, in disbelief.

"Don't worry...It'll be over in a beat." a small smile on your face as you signed.

Sans's eye sockets grew wide. Determination was written all over your pleading face. Then he chuckled and shook his head, putting his phone back in his pocket, with a defeated look on his face. "If you can make a heart pun right now...you'll be fine."

Relieved, you let out a sigh. That had been close. You probably should go to the hospital but you were to close to attaining your dream. At this point, you would rather risk it instead of giving up. Sans told Papyrus to go get something and he had dashed off. Happy to be able to do something. He then sat on the edge of your bed, saying encouraging words.

Several minutes passed and a heavy feeling started to descend on your body. Your breathing began to regulate, as your heart slowly began to beat at a normal pace. You had that feeling that someone was staring through you again. Sans was looking down at you and a smile stretched across his face "It's about time.... Don't scare me like that kiddo."

"You'll get used to it." you signed to him "I already have."

A sad look hinted on his face for a second. "So what did Mettaton want with you?" he asked changing the subject and you let him. Your hands sign away as you explained what had happened. Sans waited until your hands dropped heavily to the bed before responding. " Hmmm... So you have to go to his studio tomorrow, huh?"

You nod, excitement lighting up your eyes. Signing quickly, "Do you know him?".

"Yeah. We're friends. He, Papyrus, and I were some of the first monsters to leave the underground...." He trailed off for a couple minutes. "You're a good kid, (y/n). But I don't trust you going to that studio by yourself. Mettaton is a good guy, don't get me wrong.... It's just with your..... condition... I think it would be good to have someone watching your back for the moment. Mettaton is known for the unexpected and drama."

You gave another slight nod and allowed your head to lay heavily into the pillow. The attack had wore you out. Your eyes drooped as the dark spots in your vision got bigger. "That sounds nice but why are you doing all this?" you signed as you fought off the urge to sleep.

"That's what friends do."

A bitter feeling formed in the pit of your stomach. His words just reminded you of the friends that never visited and the family that never called. "Not all friends." you signed, a somber look in your eyes.

Sans scratched his skull in thought. "True. Then let me elaborate." He said with a shrug. "That's what good friends do."

Your eyes grew wide...well attempted to. "We're good friends?" your hands had slowed due to the need of sleep.

"Of course. Anyone who can think of puns in a tense situation is a good one in my book. The moment you met Paps... You were on the good friends list with him. But enough chit chat." Sans stood up and walked to the doorway of your bedroom, He leaned his form against the frame. "Go to sleep kiddo. Your going to need it for tomorrow."

It was hard but you fought the urge to sleep a little longer. You had friends... People who actually cared for what happened to you.... A tired smile tugged at your lips. This is the happiest you had been in a long time. You felt hopeful. "Do you think I'll make friends with Mettaton, too?" you sign, your hands barely able to move to form the words.

"No doubt about it, kiddo. Despite being a diva, he's a really good guy."

You nodded, wearily.The darkness had all but consumed your vision. Your eyelids drooped and your body screamed at you to sleep. This time you embraced it. Slowly, you close your eyes and let the heaviness of sleep overtake you. A smile that you didn't know you could still do rested on your face.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 191 11
What if Asgore knew that Sans was a weapon built by the scientist before Alphys? What if Frisk couldn't fix the gap between humans and monsters? What...
62.9K 2.7K 26
(Y/n) has had a rough life, how could it get any worse? Let's let G answer that. ~~ This is a Complete Rewrite of Hold Still! I don't own any of the...
10.4K 217 22
you cannot talk. you have a notebook and pencil you carry around with you everywhere. you've never talked. everything you do is silent. a single soft...
12.2K 643 20
There's something wrong with the timeline. You've lived in an underground crypt with cracked green walls for as long as you can remember. And that's...