Talking to the moon

By AndreParkerSA

#1 Purinz (Purinz) Police detective Huh Yunjin is strung out, overworked, and a bit antisocial. So how in th... More

A/N
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
New story
Talking to the moon 2?
Sequel Out

Chapter 12

572 35 7
By AndreParkerSA

"What're you doing?"

"Jesus Christ!" Yunjin jumped a mile, whipping around to see Sakura's face inches away from her own, peering over her shoulder and at the file in her hands. Usually, Yunjin going over evidence and files was normal, but this file was blue not the homicide units royal purple: family affairs. It took no effort to walk down there and retrieve a copy of Eunchae's case files, reading over the police report taken that night. There were a few details that Momo had left out what she told her, maybe just to spare her the heartache. Eunchae definitely was sleeping in a suitcase, there were no questions about it. That may be explained why she didn't like to sleep in her own bed, she wasn't used to it, and it was probably reassuring to have someone right next to her. Eunchae had three outfits, none suited for the winter weather they were coming out from. The only thing in the fridge was alcohol and a few things of rotten food. Further down it detailed the names that were arrested, Hong Eunjung, the mother. Only 22 years old, moved from Japan three years prior apparently with the promise of work, got addicted, and ended up in the situation she was in now. Charged with drug possession, prostitution, child abuse, child neglect, endangerment of a minor, battery, resisting arrest. The list was pretty lengthy, and she was definitely going away on at least two of the charges. Yunjin would make sure she went away on all of them, even the fact that she could get acquitted of any of the charges sent a shiver of rage down her spine. Sana let her finger linger on the mugshot of the woman, she was extremely pretty, a spitting image of an older Eunchae, with big doe eyes and pouty triangle-shaped lips, tired and scared looking at the camera. Yunjin tried to memorize that face.

There was one more name in the report, Lee Jiho. The man Eunjung was apparently was as Eunchae would put it, helping, when the police got there. 29, charged with drug possession, and disorderly conduct. There was something about him that just struck Yunjin as odd, smirking in his mugshot, smug with messy dark hair and snakelike eyes. He was released on bail five hours after his arrest, oh yeah, he came from money. Yunjin had that gut feeling that he was her key to getting all of them. All of the bad guys, because she and Scooby had promised.

"This isn't you're case." Sakura mused taking a seat on Yunjin's desk, eyeing her with suspicion laced eyes, "You're homicide, not family affairs."

"It's Eunchae's."

"Oh." Sakura took a lollipop from her pocket, popping it into her mouth, "Need a second opinion on anything then?"

"I brought her to a therapist the other day," Yunjin admitted suddenly, closing the file looking up at Sakura, "She opened up about her old home and- It's bad. She's hurting, a lot." It felt like she was telling the truth after a large lie, ashamed and a bit stung out. Maybe she should have consulted Sakura before making the decision or told her about what was going on earlier.

The older detective just cocked an eyebrow, squinting her eyes at Yunjin's behavior, "Okay, thank you for taking her to do that."

"Appointments are on Thursdays at four-thirty."

"Okay," Sakura reached in to take another candy out of her pocket, reaching it out to offer it to Yunjin, "Are you okay? You're acting off. Should I contact employee services for you again? I know it's getting near Eunha-"

"I told you not to bring that up." Yunjin snapped, surprising even herself with how aggressive she sounded. Sakura didn't even seem phased, just giving her a sad look. Was Yunjin okay? Currently, no. She felt stressed beyond belief between work, Eunchae, Chaewon. She hadn't talked to her since she left on Friday, so two days. Chaewon had called to her, Yunjin had screened it. Maybe it was because it was getting close to that day again. No, Yunjin was over that, it's been three years already.

"I'll let this go, but Yunjin I'm telling you if you start acting up again I'm calling them and you're going to start treatment again. I mean it." Sakura did. Voice calm and steady, but Yunjin could hear the concern dripping from it.

"Can you just stay out of my business for once?" Yunjin scowled, "And don't go running to Chaewon for answers about my new behavior, I'm acting normal. I don't get why you are all starting to question me, leave me alone."

"You and Chaewon fought?" Sakura asked surprised.

"No we didn't. I'm just not talking to her right now."

"That sounds like a fight."

"It's not."

Putting her hands up in mock defense, Sakura sighed, "Are you sure nothing is bothering you?"

"I'm positive." Yunjin was definitely not positive. But she didn't want to waste too much energy pondering scenarios that wouldn't happen. A quick glance at the clock alerted her to the fact that she needed to get going to pick up Eunchae. She had enrolled Eunchae into afterschool care (after discussing it with Kyujin's parents who also signed up, apparently all but Kyujin and Eunchae of gay squad kids were part of the club.) about a week ago, the girl getting extra math work and extra time to play with her friends. It had helped her big time, giving her more time before she had to rush out of the station to try and get Eunchae in time. She got up out of her chair, tucking the file into her backpack before slinging it over her shoulders, turning back to look at Sakura, "I need to get Eunchae, you coming?"

A bit took off guard by the sudden proposition, Sakura nodded, "I should probably get used to picking her up, right?"

"Yeah, and you need to get introduced to the gay squad before they rip you apart for trying to pick her up without them knowing you."

"Gay squad?"

Gay squad was already waiting outside by the time they got there, Taeyong, Joohyun, Wonyoung, and Seulgi all stood outside waiting for the kids to be released. Sometimes their partners would show up, but usually, it was the four of them, all waiting in a small circle chatting. The car ride had been painfully silent, Sakutra trying to strike up a conversation a few times before being quickly shut down. It wasn't really fair, but Yunjin just didn't care. Taeyong noticed her presence first, "Yunjin!"

She waved a quick hello, inserting herself and Sakura into the group, "This is Sakura. She's taking Eunchae next week, so she or her partner will be picking her up."

The group looked a bit confused at this, eyeing the new woman. If any of them had something to say they kept their thoughts to themselves, well excpet for Joohyun. "You look tired Yunjin."

"I'm fine."

"You have my number right?"

"Mhmm."

"Use it."

Yunjin didn't even get to respond, because soon enough the kids were running out. Straightening her posture, she watched as Yeri and Sooyoung emerged with Lucas, then Kyujin and Eunchae right behind them. And like every other day Eunchae broke away from Kyujin, running as fast as she could towards Yunjin, arms out, a huge smile, her backpack flapping against her. Yunjin bent down to give her a hug, picking her up much to Eunchae's delight as she just giggled, "Yunjinnie guess what, I got a 94 on my spelling test!"

"Really that's awesome!" Yunjin gushed, poking the younger's cheek, "I guess our work the other day really paid off."

They had spent nearly two hours the other night after dinner trying to get Eunchae to memorize her words, and while Yunjin wanted to rip her hair out and just yell how to spell jet the entire time, Eunchae worked hard and it paid off. "I got a new list today, the test is on Friday. "

"Okay, we should have ice cream to celebrate such a good job." Yunjin hummed, giving Eunchae a kiss on the cheek. Eunchae glowed at the attention.

"You got a ninety-four?" Oh right, Sakura. Yunjin set Eunchae down, much to the girl's displeasure, letting Sakura lean over to talk to her. Eunchae nodded, not as enthusiastic as before, but still cheery. Yunjin caught Wonyoung's eye, the woman was watching the interaction with this sympathetic expression that Yunjin loathed, Kyujin holding her hand. The whole group was watching the exchange, seemingly not sure what to make of it. "That's great Eunchae!"

"Yunjinnie, is Chaewon coming over tonight?" Eunchae reached up to grab Yunjin's hand, ignoring the one that Sakura outstretched, "She promised she would read to me if I got a ninety."

"She did?"

"Mhmm, the new one she bought me."

"Not tonight sweet pea, how about you talk to Sakura about your day? I'm sure she wants to hear all about it."

Hesitantly Eunchae caved, turning to Sakura to relay the details of her day as they started to walk away from the group and their sad looks. Why was everyone looking at Yunjin like that, she was fine, she was in control, she was fine.

***

At first, Yunjin wasn't sure what dragged her out of her slumber. Her eyes fluttered open as the heavy drowsiness still lingered on her mind, making her feel hazy. She was about to close her eyes once again before she heard it, the small whimper next to her. She rolled her body over to see Eunchae, still asleep but moving slightly, face contorted and whimpers and unintelligible murmurs escaping. She was having a bad dream, that much was clear.

Putting Eunchae to bed had been a nightmare once again, she tried to read the penguin book but Eunchae would whine and say that Chaewon did it better. Plus she wanted to sleep in Yunjin's bed, however, Yunjin wanted to get her used to sleep in her own bed just in case Kazuha wasn't as lenient as she was. After nearly an hour of struggle, Eunchae was in her own room as Yunjin drifted off to sleep in her own room. Yunjin should have known better, that Eunchae would find her way to Yunjin once again.

"Eunchae," Carefully she shook the kid, "Wake up buddy, you're having a nightmare."

The kindergartner woke up with a start, bolting up and away from Yunjin's touch looking around with big scared eyes. She locked eyes with Yunjin, before bursting into tears. For a moment Yunjin wasn't sure what to do, Eunchae made it clear practically launching herself into Yunjin's arms. "Yu-yunjin."

"I'm right here," Yunjin assured, gently rubbing a hand up and down Yunjin's arm in an attempt to calm her.

"They hurt you!"

"Eunchae look at me," She waited patiently for Eunchae to look up at her, "I'm okay, look."

That seemed to calm her down slightly, but she was still trembling, sobbing softly, gripping onto Yunjin. Sometimes Eunchae would wake up from a bad dream but would just fall back asleep, this was out of the usual. She must've been really scared. Think.

Yunjin took the comforter and threw it over both of their heads, submerging them in complete darkness. It shocked Eunchae for a second before the girl really started thrashing around, "Eunchae, relax. I just created a magic shield."

"You did?"

"Mhmm." Yunjin hummed, "And guess what, no bad guys can get in as long as we are under here."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive," Yunjin assured, tightening her grip on Eunchae. This seemed to calm her down a lot, the quiet cries ceasing, and slowly her trembling stopped.

Yunjin felt warm and big but in a way that wasn't scary. She made Eunchae feel loved. Loved, what a strange concept. She didn't yell, didn't hit, didn't make Eunchae feel scared or sad. She was just Yunjin. She was good without trying, she let Eunchae eat all the food she wanted for however long she wanted, made sure Eunchae had new clothes and was warm, didn't mind that Eunchae preferred to sleep next to her. She came to her days at school, she sat there and helped with her homework, she even saved Peng from the washing machine when Eunchae spilled juice on him. She protected her from scary people, protected her from the things in her head that made Eunchae's limbs feel heavy and made her want to cry.

Yunjin was good. So was Eunchae.

They both felt their eyes getting heavy, completely content in their little shield. Yunjin ran a hand through Eunchae's hair in the way she knew would make her fall asleep quickly. This was the first time Yunjin had hugged Eunchae to sleep in her bed, it wasn't lost on either of them.

Eunchae felt loved, and it wasn't scary.

Right before she descended into unconsciousness, Eunchae mumbled out softly, quietly, leaving Yunjin wondering if she heard correctly, "I love you, mommy."

Yunjin prayed that Eunchae wouldn't feel the sudden increase in her heartbeat as soon those words hit her ears. The overwhelming sense of dread filling up her body, weighing her down and making it hard to breathe. It was becoming increasingly obvious that Yunjin couldn't bear to lose another love of her life. And she had no idea what to do with that information.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.9K 757 15
Ever since they reunited to debut in Le Sserafim together, Yunjin has been Chaewon's loud, confident, lovable best friend. One day, Chaewon looks at...
35.7K 891 29
#1 Purinz Purinz (G!P) Huh Yunjin finally gets the big break that she's been asking for. But when she finds herself in a pinch and lets her friends...
7.2K 154 8
Hello guys, this was my first book i posted. Hope you guys like it. 3 in miyawakisakura 19/09/23 3 in yunjin 25/09/23 1 in huhyunjin 9/12/23 1 in yun...
3.4K 138 6
#1 purinz (Purinz) Tired of Sakura's complaints about Chaewon not visiting her, Chaewon finally gives in and travels to the countryside for the summe...