The Trouble with Evie

By xMishx

Mean girls and gorgeous guys, too much homework and a restrictive guardian. A typical life for a teen girl, r... More

Welcome
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
The End... Almost
The Trouble With Hades

Chapter 43

42 10 2
By xMishx

I knew that Niko was not there, but I still returned to the cave. I'm sure Marco has opened his big, fat mouth already and said the cave is empty. Hopefully, they'll think that it was someone else that took the body.

Pressing my hand to the stone, I closed my eyes and lowered my head.

"Come on Niko, guide me," I whispered.

Memories flashed through my mind, reminding me of that awful night. The vampires that laughed, taunting us. The woman that I'd seen on the other side of the road from the pawn shop, she flashed through first. Then the others filtered through like a macabre slide show.

"I know that you're probably really mad about the house, and I am so sorry Niko but I'm still learning. We're going to rebuild it. Brad's found a builder that will get the original house plans and build from that. It will be the same house but brand new."

My hand slid from the rock as I sat back. Dejected. Lost. Low.

"I know it won't be the house that you lived in with your wife and daughter, but I can't change the past. I'm sorry," I whispered. "I hope that in time you will forgive me."

Wiping the tears away, I put my hand on the cold ground to lift myself up. My mind was fuzzy, and the world started to sway. Anzide was a few steps away, leaning against a tree. He'd kept his distance while keeping an eye on me and the surroundings.

"Let it flow, Evelyn. The mustard is growing stronger. You must let it do what is necessary."

The mustard is growing stronger, my mind whispered.

Has the sugar dissolved yet?

The fuzziness in my mind became thicker. I was on my hands and knees, rasping every breath.

"I can't see."

"Focus, Evelyn. Your body is changing. The mustard is consuming."

"Sugar?"

"Almost gone."

Hearing footsteps, I hoped that it was Anzide and not a threat. I was useless at the moment, unable to see, struggling through my foggy mind. It felt like I was in a rowboat, out on a lake that was surrounded by a thick fog. All I could see were grey clouds and the boat that I was in. It rocked every time I moved. Would I plunge into the murky water if I moved too hard?

"Anzide?"

"I'm here," he said softly.

I felt his touch on my shoulder, and a light appeared in the gloomy sky.

"Go to the light, my love. I am there waiting for you."

There were no oars. I didn't want to put my hands in the water or actually get into it and swim.

"I can't. There's nothing to move the boat."

"Yes, there is. You are there. Use your mind and move the boat. Tell the boat that you want to go to the light."

I did as he suggested, but I did not move.

"Do not be delicate, Evelyn. You are a fighter, a warrior. This woman, she does not take anyone's nonsense. Not the boy, not his human girlfriend, not the vampire that would rob her of everything that she is entitled to. She is powerful and strong. This warrior will stand tall and fight for everything that is right, and she will make her loved ones proud."

"I failed him," I whispered.

"No, Evelyn. You didn't fail Niko. He is not here to tell you that for himself, but I know that he would understand that what happened was an accident. Forgiveness is easily given to those we love. Now, tell that boat to move. Order it. Do it and come to the light. I have something for you."

Focusing on the boat, I got angry and, hopefully, domineering. The boat shifted in the water, turning slightly towards the light.

"Keep going. You are the boss, Evelyn. You are the one that dictates in this world. Again."

Anzide's tone was more forceful this time. I didn't want this to progress to where he'd be yelling at me. Also, I was on my hands and knees in the dangerous forest. I couldn't see properly, and I felt trapped in this odd world. There was only one way out.

Anger consumed me, muffling Anzide's words about channeling the emotion and using it to steer the boat. It was then that I understood.

The day that I leveled the house, I was angry. The Nephilim were taking Anzide away from me and the emotion consumed me to the point that I lost connection, and then the worst happened.

"Tell the boat what to do. You are in control. Do not let the boat float aimlessly."

Beneath my hands and knees, I could feel the ground shaking. Anzide's hand on my shoulder became more insistent.

"Focus," he chided sternly.

As I looked at the light, I felt the shaking settle. Slowly the boat turned to completely face the light, then started to drift.

"Good,"

The clouds began to disperse, and the light grew. Soon, it was glowing brightly. The boat reached land with a soft thud, sliding up the sand as if someone was there helping it. Warily I stood and walked to the end of the boat and out into the cold water.

The water lapped at the beach, drawing in and out around my feet. Ahead of me was the light. The sky was no longer cloudy, but it was dark.

"Keep going. You're almost there."

Reaching the top of the embankment, I saw Anzide. He was holding the light. Beside him was an old woman. She was hunched over, gripping a staff while giving me a stink-eye look.

Anzide smiled, urging me over with a flick of his hand.

"You did well."

The woman whacked Anzide on the head with her staff.

"Do not speak with such mockery."

"I believe that she did well." he grumped, rubbing his head.

"But she did not do well. She is Eternal, and she is eighteen. It took far too long."

Anzide's lip curled as he turned to the woman, angrily glaring at her.

"I told you, she didn't know anything until recently."

"No excuse." she snapped. "All Eternals know that they are different. She was not listening to herself."

Hobbling, the woman turned to walk away.

"We will try again tomorrow."

Anzide flustered, following the woman.

"She doesn't have time."

"Eternals have time. Nephilim do not know how to lie. How is it that you can?"

"It is not a lie. The vampires are coming for her."

"She is Eternal. This is not a problem."

"But her uncle is not. Evelyn cares deeply for him. He is her family."

The woman smacked Anzide on the head again.

"She has others,"

"I know that," he groaned, rubbing his head again. "The great-grandfather is repairing himself in the forest and remaining unseen at the moment, and she does not want to know her father."

The old woman turned to look at me. From under the grey hair that hung loose in her eyes, she shot me another stink-eye look.

"Phoenix should know her creator."

I gasped, and my eyes widened as the forest came back to me.

"Hey, it's okay. You did well."

Anzide pulled me into his arms, holding me tight as I struggled to draw in the air.

"What was that?" I rasped. "Who was that woman?"

"We call her mother, but she is not our mother. She doesn't like the name, and I wouldn't call her that, but that is what the Eternals call her."

Carefully, Anzide lifted me to my feet.

"Easy does it. Going into the portal can be difficult."

"Portal?"

Anzide wrapped his arm around my waist, helping me along the path. Hopefully, I will be better by the time we get out of here. I can only imagine what Brad will think.

"It's like a hub. Mother is usually in this area as well as a few others. All the areas are connected, and we pass through them to get to other areas."

"Like where you live?"

Anzide smiled.

"Where I used to live, yes. I live here now."

"She wasn't happy, was she?"

"No, you're eighteen, and you have no idea of your powers. Don't take it the wrong way, but they will see you as inferior until you get it right. We'll spend a few hours helping your mind focus and hopefully you'll be ready for tomorrow's attempt."

I looked at Anzide, worried because I didn't have time to be going into portals and come out feeling so deflated.

"Each time will be easier, I promise. This was your first attempt, and you put a lot of effort into getting to land. The more you practice focusing your mind, the easier it will be. In time you'll learn how to travel from one world to another without going to the gate first."

We stopped at the edge of the forest, looking at Brad, who was still working despite the light fading.

"You should rest. I will help Brad for as long as he wants to work."

"He's going to lose his mind."

"I will explain it to him."

Continuing onto the property, Brad stopped and looked at us. From this distance, I could already see the fear and horror filling his face.

"What's wrong?" he called out as he rushed over.

"Evelyn had her first lesson in going to the portal world. It was an energy-consuming venture. Resting for a few minutes is all that she needs."

Brad helped me to the table and chairs under the cover, easing me into the seat.

"Can't you do this at another time? And why did it happen in the dangerous and unprotected forest?"

"No one can dictate when or where it will happen. It happens, and we have to accept it for what it is. Now that she has made the initial connection, all future visits will happen by choice. It is not ideal, but we can and will perform the visits on the property."

Brad sat down on the chair opposite, glancing at me and then at Anzide as he sat down.

"This is necessary?"

"Absolutely. Otherwise, all the effort you're going to, that house that will go back up again, the houses around us, they will suffer the same as the original house did. The more she denies her dominant creature access to the light, the more the world around her suffers. Speaking of light,"

Anzide trailed off, gesturing to Brad's skin. It was flushed pink, the brightest I'd ever seen.

"I think that being around all these vampires is making your inner vampire surface. Be aware of the thoughts in your mind. If you crave blood, then tell me. We will deal with it rather than ignore it."

"I'm human," Brad whispered.

"You are a mixture of creatures, and the human portion is the weakest of all three. Immortal creatures always dominate over mortal just as the Eternals dominate over immortal and mortal. You might be human now, but you won't be for much longer. Remember, the sugar will dissolve."

Hunger gnawed. I was feeling a little ravenous at the moment.

"When are you starting dinner?"

"At the same time that you get off your lazy ass and help."

"Hilarious." I grumped. "So much for school work, eh?"

"I have that covered. Look at the bed."

Moving past the bathroom, I pulled back the curtain and saw that Brad had set up a desk. He'd found cushions, a couple of bricks, and a wide plank of wood. The computer had been retrieved and was set up. But the best part of it was the printer was here.

Why was it the best part? Brad had a printer that was one of those multifunction things. I could pull the memory card from the camera, stick it into the port and print the pictures without connecting to the internet. The less connection I had to the world, the safer my little plan would be.

"So, I guess you're not helping with dinner now?"

"Anzide would love to help you," I murmured, turning on the printer.

"Well, that's just great," Brad grumped. "The biblical creature who has never eaten until he met us."

"It's a great lesson. You'll be an amazing teacher. I have heaps of faith in your ability."

Pulling the curtain across, I hoped Brad got the picture. With a huff, he stomped away. Seconds later, Anzide poked his head through the curtain.

"You know that you should help, right?"

"I've got to get these printed."

Anzide pulled back through the curtain and then pushed it aside. I was given a frown.

"They will wait. You're not going to see Harlwood tonight, and you're certainly not leaving the property. He won't come here looking for them."

Getting up from the bed base, I followed Anzide.

"This kitchen is too small for the two of us."

Brad put the cutting board and knife on the dining table. Anzide smiled as he sat opposite.

"So, you will be my teacher tonight."

"I guess so."

"Did you wash your hands, nose picker?"

"Oh my god, Bradley. You're so crude."

Anzide was smirking at me.

"I do not pick my nose," I muttered.

Brad frowned at me, flicking his head to the bathroom.

"But you have been on an adventure today so get up and wash your hands."

"Like I wasn't,"

Anzide followed me to the bathroom, washing his hands and sneaking a kiss.

"Hey, I have a question," I whispered.

"Fire away."

"If we, you know, have kids. Are they going to become an adult in a week like you did?"

Anzide was stunned into silence, then he frowned.

"I don't know, to be honest. Nephilim age quickly, but clearly, you didn't. Maybe the immortal part of the equation altered the aging process."

He closed in on me, which was half a step in the tiny bathroom. Still, it was kind of hot when he leaned on the counter and got into my space.

"Do you want them?"

"Kind of. I mean, sometime in the future, I guess."

His lips scraped over mine, grinning like a madman.

"Well, if you're unsure about it, we should probably stop having sex," he whispered.

Not only did he suggest preposterous things, but Anzide left the bathroom without kissing me.

"How rude," I muttered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 335 6
"HAHAHAHAA! The ninja really defeated the Sons of Garmadon? They really did us a favor this time! Haha!" Who in hell want's to be the hero? Heroes a...
674K 53.2K 63
'Praying for the Devil?' With the war between the vampires and VarĂșlfur more brutal and blood-thirsty than it has ever been, Megan Garrick has been f...
924K 62.9K 45
... for a moment I thought that everything was back to normal, that I was okay. But then it came crashing down on me. Blood was valuable. Blood was l...
27.2K 1.6K 17
In a world flooded with magic, mythical creatures and mayhem, Callahan Orenda just wants to live a relatively unobtrusive life. Her twin sister Cassa...