The Trouble with Evie

By xMishx

Mean girls and gorgeous guys, too much homework and a restrictive guardian. A typical life for a teen girl, r... More

Welcome
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
The End... Almost
The Trouble With Hades

Chapter 29

56 11 1
By xMishx

The hammock slowly rocked in the gentle breeze. I looked out to the street and watched the land begin to darken. It was not because of nightfall. The rain was returning.

There was a calm feeling to it but something undeniably heavy and unrelenting. It was like the storm would remain and would not leave, like our first week in this town.

Added to the impending storm was a chill that was like nothing I'd ever felt before. I was snuggled between layers of blankets, yet it was still cold. It was quiet, adding to the ominous feelings floating through me.

Any thought of finding relaxation was shot to pieces when I sat up and looked around.

"Where are you?" I whispered.

The screen door opened. Brad let it slap shut behind him.

"Everything okay?"

"He's not here."

"Who? Your father?"

"No, the boy. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen him since you called him out earlier."

Brad gave a disinterested shrug.

"Maybe he's off crying somewhere."

"Brad," I chided.

He wandered over to the railing, leaning with both hands on the weathered rail.

"This is the calm before the storm."

"I was just thinking that. It's kind of creepy."

"You know, annoying the boy might not have been a good idea."

"Too late to go back on it now."

"I realize that. I'm more worried that he was actually telling the truth, and now those other Nephilim are on their way."

I figured they were going to turn up anyway. As for Brad annoying the boy, it was probably a step too far, but it highlighted something that I was not aware of.

Having a biblical being crushing on me was weird. All thoughts about the Nephilim were put aside. My father had emerged from his house. Having him live across the road was good, I suppose. Hopefully, things will work out so that things didn't get weird or ugly.

"Are you ready for your lessons?"

"Yeah."

My tone was filled with a heaviness that showed how I lacked interest.

"I know that we lack time, but we have to remember that Mard could be our only answer to defeating Drakkus."

I nodded, a little glum at the thought. A part of me wanted to unleash the girl warrior that was hiding inside of me. Then I remembered what happened to Andross. Perhaps it was best to keep the warrior in her cage.

My father had things in his arms, what looked like rolled-up yoga mats. With a smile, he walked up the steps to the front porch.

"Ready?"

"I'd rather ignore the issues."

Mardyl chuckled, then handed one of the foam rolls to Brad.

"Me too?"

"You're learning how to help Evie center herself in case I'm not around."

As he walked into the house, Brad followed my father but shot me a glare. One that said he really means when I shun him from my life and he's sent off into the world without a connection to his daughter.

Climbing off the hammock, I walked into the house. Brad and my father moved the lounges further apart so we could sit in the center of the room.

"Hey, do I have any siblings?"

Mard looked up from where he was rolling out the mat.

"I'd like to say no. But anything is possible."

Well, that certainly made things interesting. Taking my mat, I rolled it out. We faced each other, seated and crossed-legged. I hoped that no one would turn up to start something. It would take ages for the pins and needles to go away.

"So, if I meet a guy, how will I know?"

"The obvious answer is genetic testing. It will give you a definitive answer that you will be able to rely on. That is, of course, if you can wait. There is another answer, one that will come to you when you have refined your skills. It is called cognitive connection. In most instances, witches will know who they are related to and do not need this skill. However, in cases like you where you have a father who has lived a full life,"

Brad hummed a soft laugh. Yep, it was certainly an interesting way of putting it.

"It can be something that is necessary. When you walked through the door earlier, I knew that you were my daughter for two reasons. One, the Nephilim led me here, and two, I felt the connection."

Distracted, I glanced around the room and noted that Mardyl's Nephilim was not around either.

"Hey, where's your Nephilim?"

Mardyl frowned as he glanced around the room.

"Renuge?" he called out.

I frowned.

"What are you doing?"

"Calling for him. Is your Nephilim missing too?"

"I guess. He hasn't shown himself since this morning. We thought it was because Brad called him out on having a thing for me. How come you're calling out that renuge?"

"That's his name. Your Nephilim didn't tell you his name?"

I shook my head, then glanced at Brad. He offered a sympathetic smile. Yes, I should have asked. Maybe then he wouldn't have been such a jerk. Renuge was pretty laid back. It made me think that it was because my father had formed an amicable relationship with him. Unlike me and whatever his name was.

"I didn't think they had names."

"They do, and as for him having a thing for you, that is normal. They've been ordered into a life of celibacy because of what they are and the fact that no one above them wants there to be any more of them or anything worse that may be produced. Don't take that the wrong way. The biblical ones love all creatures regardless of what ailments they may or may not have. The Nephilim are strong, they are dangerous, and they are not always the happiest of creatures. Their life is bound to so many rules. They are punished because they were created, yet they know it's not their fault. Their parents are the ones that performed the unholy act, and their union resulted in a creature that should not be. Much like someone else, really. Perhaps our friends have gone off to reason with their overseers."

Yeah, and pigs will fly too.

I soon learned that the Nephilim's name was Anzide. How did I find that out? He returned, and I asked him, then apologized for not asking sooner. Anzide shrugged as if he didn't care, looking away with disinterest.

Renuge had also returned, looking bored as he sat on the window seat. I was curious as to why they both left and returned together. Anzide's purple eyes lifted with amusement.

"We sought answers. They are coming."

"Oh, that old chestnut. I thought you'd come up with a new line or something. Got a timeframe now?"

"No. However, we were told it was imminent. Perhaps you'd like to return the blood flow to your feet."

Mard perked up, frowning heavily.

"They're here?"

"I lack the understanding of time. All we were told was that we should return to our assignments as they would be over soon enough. To be elsewhere when they come for you is foolish. We are eager to see how easily you will barter for your own life."

My father growled, lunging for Anzide.

"You're wrong," he hissed.

Anzide chuckled mercilessly as he pulled himself free of my father's grip, flicking the lapels of his jacket straight again.

"You know that we talk to each other. We trade the information that we have collected so that our masters can formulate the best plan of attack. Does that make sense?"

I thought that he was talking to Mard, but Anzide was looking at me.

"What?" I said, confused.

"Remember what I said, Evelyn. He will hand you over to my masters to save his own skin."

"That's a lie," Mard snapped.

"I do not know the concept of a lie. I speak from gathered information."

Anzide held out his hand, waiting for me to take it.

"Come, return the blood to your limbs before it is too late."

I was surprised at how strong Anzide was when I took his hand and stood upright. My feet tingled with the pricking sensation. His grip tightened, and momentarily, his eyes narrowed.

"Renuge,"

I wanted to gasp, hearing my father's voice in my head. Anzide held my hand tight as he stared at me.

"I can do this. I can give them what they want."

"They want you to be punished."

"Come on, just lead me to her."

A tear emerged, slowly sliding down my cheek.

"More," I whispered.

"It's enough."

"I want more," I yelled.

Anzide was startled at first but then relented.

"Evie?" Brad murmured.

I held up my hand, stopping him.

"Come on, Anzide," I said softly, squeezing his hand. "Give me what I want. Prove it if you think you're right."

Anzide shook his head.

"It's too late. They're here."

My heart rate kicked up, painfully beating inside of me.

I turned to look at the window, and even though Renuge was in the way, I could see the sky darken even more than it had been. It looked as if someone covered this house with a thick blanket that blocked the light.

"It is time, Anzide," Renuge said firmly. "Escort the girl outside."

He pushed Mardyl, earning an angry flick that sent his enforcing hand away. Anzide held back, watching as Renuge walked behind Mardyl.

"He has had all day to teach you basic spells. It wouldn't save you, but at least you'd go out with a bang, yet here you stand, completely clueless about how powerful you really are. You think that I mock you or him, which is true, but it is only because you do not harness your true potential. I cannot offer you much, but I can offer you this. Let your emotions take control. It is what I have learned in my observations of you when you attacked Andross."

Anzide's head turned to Brad.

"And you stay inside. You are of no benefit to the conversation, and you endanger your life by being out there. Not just my kind but Evelyn too. The Nephilim will walk away unscathed, but you may not."

Brad opened his mouth, frowning and ready to say something, but I stopped him.

"He's right. I don't want to come out at the other end and find that I killed you like I did Andross. Just do what he says, okay?"

Brad huffed but nodded. He moved to the window seat and then opened the window.

"Is this good enough?" he grumbled at Anzide.

"Provided that she doesn't cast any spells that harness the wind, yes."

With that all too familiar smug smile on his face, Anzide tugged on my hand.

"Come, Evelyn. You would not want to keep them waiting."

Taking a deep breath, I let Anzide guide me out of the house. I would walk bravely to this. I would not cower. My legs were shaking, and my heart was racing hard. I didn't want to be here, but I knew that there was little choice. No matter how far I ran, they would always find me.

Three tall Nephilim stood on the grass section to the right of us. Anzide led me to the section on the left where Mardyl and Renuge were already waiting. The battle line had been drawn, and it was the garden path between us.

"Anzide," I whispered.

He looked at me.

"Help me. I'm just like you. I shouldn't be punished for another person's actions."

"I have helped you. I told you what you needed to do. Let those emotions take over. Let the fear consume you. You can't barter your life when your father has already cut a deal with Renuge."

"Was I supposed to cut a deal with you?"

"You had nothing to offer. Nothing you would offer. It didn't take me long to figure out that you wouldn't hand your father over to us."

"You said that you were just a messenger."

"In the beginning, I was. His arrival in this town altered my mission. I told you that he would hand you over to save his own life. This is what he is doing. All that you have is to fight with your power."

My body felt heavy as we finally stopped in place. My father was next to me, Renuge on the other side.

"Tell me he's lying."

"Nephilim do not lie," Renuge said tersely. "Whatever has been said is the truth."

I looked up at my father with tears in my eyes. He'd sold me out, and I was going to die.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1M 132K 35
Ronan Morrissey is Alpha of his loup-garou pack and as Alpha the laws of Feral demand he take a mate, but a chance encounter with the beautiful and h...
13.9M 370K 45
Book One in the Soul Seeker Series. At fifteen Amelia is forced to move in with her birthfather when her mother passes away. A man she's never met be...
12.7K 1K 32
မင်းကိုပိုင်ဆိုင်ခွင့်နဲ့ပတ်သပ်လာရင် ကံကြမ္မာကိုတောင်စိန်ခေါ်ပစ်မယ်ငယ်ငယ်
924K 62.9K 45
... for a moment I thought that everything was back to normal, that I was okay. But then it came crashing down on me. Blood was valuable. Blood was l...