The Trouble with Evie

By xMishx

Mean girls and gorgeous guys, too much homework and a restrictive guardian. A typical life for a teen girl, r... More

Welcome
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
The End... Almost
The Trouble With Hades

Chapter 23

61 13 1
By xMishx

I was a mess. Tucking the phone back into my bag, I zipped it up and waited for Kannon. All the while, the Nephilim stood over the body, watching me with a defiant smile on his face. I was still not used to him or his mockery.

"This will not be the answer that you need."

"I don't know what I need. You're not being helpful here. It was an accident. Don't you know that?"

"Of course I do, but I do not exist in this world. I cannot offer anything to any authoritarian that might come across this and point their accusatory finger at you."

"Then help me deal with this now rather than later before the cops become involved."

The boy huffed a soft laugh.

"From what I have learned of this town, you needn't worry about the police. The only cop working struggles to find his car in the morning, so I would imagine that finding a killer in such odd circumstances would be quite difficult for him. However, as you are already aware, the cop is on the vampire's payroll, so he would mention this, and then you'd have an even bigger problem. Am I making this any easier, half-breed?"

I growled at him through the angry tears. He was not helpful at all.

"No. What am I supposed to do with this?"

"Leave it there. How should I know what the right thing for you is? My goal for today was to ensure that you were aware that my kind are coming for you, which I believe I have completed with much success."

Wiping the tears away, I wondered if handing myself in at the police station would stop the Nephilim. They couldn't kill me if I was in a cell being watched by a camera, could they?

"Your kind is intent on destroying me when none of this is my fault. I didn't ask to be created. I didn't pick my parents."

Something clicked inside my mind.

"Did you kill my mother because of this?"

The Nephilim shook his head.

"We did not. Your presence remained unknown to us until recently. As for her death, I think that you've already drawn an accurate conclusion."

"She was murdered because she was Niko's granddaughter."

"Correct. In fact, I believe that you have sought sufficient revenge for it in Andross's death. Perhaps you'd like to pretend that you knew it was fact when the vampires come to lynch you for killing him."

"Andross killed my mother?"

The boy smiled as he nodded.

"In fact, as Drakkus's lover, he was entrusted to do all of the important work. Andross also killed your grandparents."

"Wait, he was with Drakkus?"

"Correct."

"Oh god," I groaned. "Now he's really going to be upset."

"Evie?"

Perking up, I searched for Kannon and found him at the edge of the trees. He stepped in, warily at first.

"What are you doing in here?"

Then he looked down.

"Oh," he said softly. "That's not good. Did he attack you?"

I nodded as Kannon squatted in front of me.

"And you fought back."

Taking my hands, Kannon turned them over and looked at them. The skin was paler than they used to be.

"The color will return soon enough. You're a newbie at this, so you would have no idea what you're doing."

I nodded, tears still streaming freely. Kannon wiped them away, giving me a sweet smile.

"You know that this is not your fault. You defended yourself when an old and very powerful vampire attacked you. He was stronger than you, and the fact that you've come out unscathed, it's a miracle."

That amused the Nephilim. I scowled at him.

"Tell the boy it is not a miracle. You are of strong witch blood, and now you are a danger to everyone around you, including him. Tell him to run away fast."

"Evie?"

Tears welled in my eyes.

"Can you see the Nephilim?"

"No, are they here?"

"Just one, the same one as always. He said that it was not a miracle. I have strong witch blood, and I'm a danger to everyone, including you. He said that you should run away."

Kannon wrapped me into his arms.

"I'm not going anywhere. You will learn how to use your powers."

As he held me tight, I looked at the Nephilim boy. His defiant smirk hadn't changed, still taunting me as if he could see the future. At his feet was the evidence that I was dangerous and a risk to those I cared for.

Kannon suggested the easiest and best option regarding Andross's body. Leave it there.

I was hesitant to go with his plan, but Kannon assured me that he'd call his father and let him deal with the body.

They had their own code system where they could talk over the phone and not have to worry about anyone listening to them. It wasn't the government that concerned them. It was Drakkus.

Kannon held my hand as we walked into the school.

"You should have called me."

"I know. I didn't think of it until it was too late."

"Well, it doesn't matter. He would have attacked at another time."

The boy was a couple of steps behind us, always haunting me with his devious smile.

"I'm sick of this place," I murmured wearily.

I'd like to say that there was a bonus that it was sunny now, but the rain had set in. Kannon said that we were officially in the wet season so it wasn't going anywhere for a long time.

"Everywhere I turn, there's an issue waiting for me."

Kannon said nothing in response, but he knew that I was talking about Audrey. She hadn't approached but offered the standard mocking giggle that she gave whenever I was near.

"Audrey needs a big wart on the end of her nose," Kannon murmured in my ear as he hugged me.

I smiled, enjoying his affection more than anything. It ended quickly when Audrey screamed.

Kannon and I turned to see Audrey crying as her friends looked at her with fear on their faces. A crowd began to form then the laughter erupted.

"Audrey's got a wart on her nose." a boy yelled out.

"She looks like a witch." his friend added.

Audrey's hysterical sobbing stopped as she looked at me.

"You did this," she screamed.

I stared, unable to figure out if she was right or not. It was entirely possible that she was correct, considering Kannon had only just said it. And, of course, that old chestnut that was hanging around and refusing to leave.

Glancing at the Nephilim, he said nothing but the defiant smile was still there.

"How is that possible?" Kannon said tersely. "You're looking for excuses wherever you can find them. Evie's got nothing to do with a damned wart on your nose."

"I agree."

Gasps filled the corridor as the crowd turned to the principal behind them.

Until today, I'd only ever seen a picture of him in the office. There wasn't much that was different, almost like the man never changed his appearance. The sandy blonde hair was neatly swept to the side, tanned skin, and the whitest teeth I'd ever seen. It was like he was in competition with Tom to be the most overdone, peculiar person in this place.

If that wasn't crazy enough, he wasn't wearing a tie. In the picture, he wasn't wearing one either. Every single school that I'd been to, the headmasters were all male, and they always wore a tie. This was not a beachside community, yet this guy was dressed like he was about to strut down the promenade and toss some corny pick-up lines at a few unlucky ladies.

"The bell is about to sound. Everyone should get moving now. Miss Hartley, I would suggest that you refrain from throwing ridiculous accusations around. I'm sure you don't want to leave yourself open for defamation charges. Please go to class."

Audrey scowled, then stomped off. The principal stepped back with a smile on his face as he watched her walk away. Those pearly whites were flashed like a sales pitch.

"Mister Lothaire, are you late for class as well?"

"I'm fine."

The bell sounded, and the principal stepped further back, waiting for Kannon to pass.

"Evelyn," the Nephilim said cautiously. "The man in front of you will only heighten your issues with my kind."

I casually looked back at the boy, frowning slightly. I wanted more information, but I couldn't exactly say something with the principal watching us. Why would a vain principal of a small town high school be an issue for me or the Nephilim?

"Kannon,"

One of the teachers appeared at a doorway, glowering heavily at him.

"Are you planning on attending class today?"

He nodded reluctantly, then looked at me.

"Later, Evie."

As his hand fell away from mine, I felt a mixture of emotions. I'd never felt the need for protection, but right now, I wanted Kannon to remain.

Cold fingers slipped into mine. My body tightened at the sensation of the Nephilim boy taking my hand. It was soft, almost like touching a puff of smoke.

"He will sense that something is different." the Nephilim offered as his grip tightened.

The principal smiled at me, seemingly casual.

"We have not had the chance to meet yet, Evelyn. I am Principal James Harlwood."

He held out his hand expectantly, and the boy's grip tightened immediately. There was nothing that I could do, I had to be civil. So, I shook his hand and felt a surge of power. The man said nothing. Not even a flinch to say that he'd felt it too.

"It's been a long time since we have had a newcomer in Hades," Principal Harlwood said as he let go of my hand. "Lots of visitors but no one that actually moves here. It is quite refreshing to see a new face around the place."

Then he turned to the corridor, the same way that I was going, and opposite to his office. I guess he was walking with me and clearly, I had no choice.

"I understand that your uncle is your legal guardian."

"Yes, sir."

"What happened to your parents, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Only if you're not offended by the answer."

The principal looked at me curiously.

"My mother was a prostitute. I never knew my father and can only assume that he was a client. She passed away from a drug overdose three years ago."

"Oh, that is unfortunate. My condolences, Evelyn."

"It's fine. As sad as it was, my life is better now that I'm living with my uncle. He has provided a stable home, and I've been able to attend school regularly. Well, this is me."

Awkwardly, I gestured to the restroom door. The principal looked at it, then gave a smile. It seemed forced and reluctant.

"Of course. Enjoy your day."

I nodded and quickly moved through the door, trying to avoid looking at him or making it obvious that I was dragging a biblical creature behind me.

Moving to the last stall, I closed the door and peeked through the gap.

"What the hell was that about?"

"The principal is a demon." the boy whispered. "He knows what you are."

Putting the lid of the toilet down, I sat on it and leaned my elbows on my legs.

"Okay, time to lay it out for me. Do me a solid and be my teacher."

"Even if it is pointless?"

"Nothing is pointless. He made a concerted effort to extract me from Kannon so that he could interrogate me without intervention."

The boy smiled at me.

"You noticed."

I nodded.

"Alright, an education into demons as requested. They are known to be solitary creatures in regard to their own species. However, they will frequent places like Hades, where they can manipulate the townsfolk and not be overwhelmed by a large populace. Many will lay low, living a quiet life while hiding what they really do when no one is looking. They will pick towns where a vampire coven is strong. The purpose of this is that they can feast on the souls of the dead. Towns with vampires have a higher death rate, and the residents of a town with a demon in it tend to be quite oblivious to what's going on. It's a symbiotic relationship that one group is usually unaware exists. So that you're aware, he did see me. I held your hand so that he understood what was going on."

"Is he dangerous?"

The Nephilim smiled at me.

"Absolutely."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1M 132K 35
Ronan Morrissey is Alpha of his loup-garou pack and as Alpha the laws of Feral demand he take a mate, but a chance encounter with the beautiful and h...
316K 14.8K 43
The long-awaited conclusion to The King's Choice. __________________________________________ Avery Crawford is trying to take her new relationship w...
12.5K 1K 32
မင်းကိုပိုင်ဆိုင်ခွင့်နဲ့ပတ်သပ်လာရင် ကံကြမ္မာကိုတောင်စိန်ခေါ်ပစ်မယ်ငယ်ငယ်
6K 336 6
"HAHAHAHAA! The ninja really defeated the Sons of Garmadon? They really did us a favor this time! Haha!" Who in hell want's to be the hero? Heroes a...