Canary - Thomas Shelby

By emigirl77

In which a girl attempts to outrun her past only to catch the attention of the ruthless leader of the Peaky B... More

foreword
part 1
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 17
chapter 18
part 2
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38

chapter 16

4K 132 3
By emigirl77

xx

Elena:

Today was the day. Today was the day Elena was to leave Birmingham and never return. It had been two days since Elena had been cast out by Tommy Shelby and each day she felt herself grow all the more miserable. She had kept herself occupied, ensuring Grace left the city and packing up the few things she owned. But really she was just delaying the inevitable.

Elena stared at her empty apartment seeing there was nothing else to do. She was traveling by train so there was little she could take with her, especially as she wasn't sure when she would have a permanent address again.

She looked out her window noting the capped man watching her from across the street. One of Tommy's men to ensure she was leaving soon no doubt. Since she had returned to her apartment yesterday there had been someone stationed across the street acting as a permanent reminder that her time in Birmingham was limited.

Elena's body tensed as she heard a knock at her door. Worried that it was someone here to apply some force to her leaving, Elena grabbed the dagger from her purse before walking to the door. Bracing her body and with the dagger ready to strike she opened the door expecting to see one of the Peaky Blinder men when instead she came face to face with Polly.

"Jesus Elena you could have taken my eye out," the woman remarked as she pushed past Elena into her empty apartment. Elena took a few moments to calm her racing heartbeat before shutting the door and turning to meet Polly.

"If Tommy sent you, you can tell him I'm leaving today. I have a train ticket to prove it" Elena told Polly as she watched her inspect what was left of her things.

"Tommy didn't send me" Polly answered. Elena was surprised to see Polly here if Tommy hadn't sent her. She had no doubts in her mind that the family had learned of her real identity and she was sure they were all getting in line to punish her for the supposed betrayal.

"Came to see the liar for yourself then?" Elena asked hurt evident in her voice. She knew that if Polly wanted to hurt her she would let her. She had come to love the woman in front of her like family and she knew that she couldn't hurt Polly.

"You know I meet your father once years ago. Now that I know who you really are I see the resemblance, you share the same eyes. The question is do you share the same heart?" Polly asked as she looked Elena over.

"I wish I shared nothing with that man" Elena spit.

"Not the loyal spy then?" Polly questioned.

"Not a spy at all, not that you would believe me. My father believes I am dead so I am unsure how I could be both dead and a spy to him" Elena answered honestly. She was unsure why she was telling these things to Polly. Polly would no doubt have already taken Tommy's side but she felt she had to get the truth out there even if it would not be believed.

"I had not heard Elena Sabini died" Polly stated.

"Nobody has; my father didn't want word getting out" Elena answered

"Hm, how convenient" Polly mused.

"I'm not lying! Why would Sabini want word to get out that someone had managed to kill his only heir? It would make him look weak." Elena exclaimed back as she felt her blood boil. She knew that Tommy was their family but it hurt how quickly they all were to not believe her.

"How would you be able to convince Sabini you are dead when you are standing right here" Polly questioned again.

"A fire with a body and a maid that would never betray me" Elena answered as thought back to that night. "I don't even know why I am telling you this, it's not like you are going to believe me. But I promise you he believes me to be dead, you can probably find something about a fire in London on July 9th, 1918 if you want to check my story" Elena responded.

"I believe you" Polly answered and Elena felt for the first time in three days some of the weight on her chest lessen.

As if seeing the hope on Elena's face she continued "But Tommy never will. You lied to him about who you were and to him that makes everything about you a lie". Elena knew she spoke the truth

"Then why did you come?" Elena asked

"Because I wanted to hear your truth in your own words and because I wanted to see you one last time" Polly answered as she walked to the girl to give her a hug. Elena allowed herself to be enveloped in Polly's arms as she felt tears start to fall down her face.

"I don't want to leave. I don't want to leave Tommy, Peaky Blinders, or you" she cried allowing herself to be comforted.

"I know, love" Polly whispered as she stroked her hair. Elena and Polly stayed like that for several minutes before Elena pulled back wiping the tears from her eyes.

"I'm going to miss you," Elena said honestly and she meant that. The Shelbys were more of a family to her than her real family had ever been.

Elena walked over to the window sill to grab the letter she had sitting there. Her hope was that someone would check her apartment once she was gone and deliver it to its recipient.

"Will you give it to Tommy and tell him to read it? I doubt it will change anything but I felt like I owed him the truth" Elean explained as she handed over the letter.

"I will Elena" Polly promised and Elena prayed she somehow managed to convince him to read it.

"This is for you. It's not much but it should help get you on your feet in your next place" Polly said as she handed over a stack of bills.

"Thank you, Polly. For everything." Elena said as she walked Polly to the door sensing their visit was coming to an end. She had to leave for the train any minute and had no doubt Polly had many things to attend to.

"I hope I see you again Elena but if not I want you to know that Tommy loved you, even if he never said it, I could see it in his eyes. He was an empty shell since the war and that all changed when you came along" Polly said at the threshold. Elena's heart clenched as she thought of the feelings she and Tommy shared.

"I loved him too," Elena said. Polly gave her a sad smile before turning to leave. Elena gave herself a few seconds to compose herself before she grabbed her things and gave one last goodbye to her apartment and life in Birmingham.

She prayed Polly could convince Tommy to read the letter. Even if it wouldn't change the future it would at least help him understand the past.

Tommy

It was almost over. Today was black star day, the day that would determine his family's history. Today was also the day his El would be leaving Birmingham. He had heard from the man stationed outside her apartment that she left with her things this afternoon and appeared to be headed for the train station. On one hand, he was heartbroken that she was leaving and on the other, he wasn't sure if he could stand to see her face again.

They had just arrived at the Garrison for the last round of drinks before they headed off to the Worcester races to finish Billy Kimber and his men once and for all.

"You have a pint and a chaser, no more. On the house" Tommy yelled in reminder as he watched his brothers and friends chat and relax before what would be a hard day. Harry was busy fulfilling orders as he was the only one left to work the bar.

"Tommy" Polly whispered as she came to stand next to him. "You've done good," she remarked looking around at all the men assembled.

"Thank you, Pol. It wasn't without your help" he smiled back happy to see they were in better relations. It was the first smile in days. Ever since he arranged to have Freddie escape, his aunt and sister had come around to forgive him for a crime he did not commit. Regardless he was just happy to have them speaking to him again.

"I have something for you. You have to promise me you will read it" Polly said looking Tommy straight in the eyes

"What is it? My will you wrote up?" Tommy joked.

"Tommy I'm being serious," Polly said strictly as she rummaged in her bag to pull out a small envelope handing it to Tommy.

Printed on the front in simple letters was his name and he could tell just by the penmanship who this letter was from.

"Why would I want to read this," he asked his aunt as he tried to resist the urge to crumple the whole thing up and throw it away.

"Because she deserves to tell her story. Especially after all she has done for this family. Read it. Don't read it. I'm not your boss Tommy, I can't tell you what to do. But I can tell you that the girl I saw today was not a vengeful spy but rather a heartbroken girl forced out of her home" Polly said giving Tommy a stern look before walking away. Tommy was surprised to learn that Polly had gone to see Elena today.

Tommy let a heavy sigh before walking into the supply closet and shutting the door. With shaky hands, Tommy opened the letter and began reading.

My dearest Tommy,

If you are reading this then I have already left Birmingham. I want to start by saying how sorry I am for ever lying about who I was. If I could go back in time I would have told you as soon as we got close but I can not change the past; all I can offer you is an explanation.

As you know, my real name is Elena Sabini and my father is Darby Sabini. I am his only child and my mother died shortly after my birth leaving him as my only parent. My father was not a gentle parent and my childhood left me with scars. He was a paranoid man and as a result, I was rarely allowed to leave the house and my face was kept a secret from his enemies. The house felt like a prison. When he returned from the war he came back more violent and I knew I had no choice but to leave. My father would never let me leave on my devices so I faked my death. On July 9th, 1918 I dragged a body into the house and set fire to it. My childhood maid helped me escape and all that knew me believed I was dead.

Knowing I had to leave London I got on a train and spent a few weeks in the countryside before ending up in Birmingham. By the time I arrived, I learned that word of my death had not become common knowledge and I can only guess my father chose to not share this with the world to keep up his image. His enemies would likely see him as weak if they learned of the fire and my death so I have no doubt my father paid the police a hefty amount to not get the word out.

I tell you this so you understand that while I lied about my identity, I never was a spy. I didn't tell you the truth sooner because if my father was to learn that I was alive it would endanger us all. I realize now that was a mistake because in my attempt to protect you from the truth I have lost you. I learned Grace was a police informant when she started working at the Garrison. She threatened to reveal my identity and we entered a mutually agreed bargain to never reveal each other's identity. In the background, I tried the best I could to undermine her efforts to gleam information but obviously, she learned of the guns. For this, I am again sorry for if I had come forward sooner it would have never happened.

I love you, Thomas Shelby. I hope in another life we meet again and that we can be together. I know I cannot make you forgive me but know that I am truly sorry for ever lying to you.

While I have no room to make requests, I pray you do not ever face off with my father. He is a soulless man and he will do everything and anything to win. But if you do happen upon him do not mention me. If he learns I am alive he will find me and bring me back to London and I fear I will not survive my time there again.

With the deepest love,

Elena

If what was in the letter was true then Tommy was the biggest damn idiot on the planet. Elena was not a spy but a scared girl on the run trying to protect her safety. And while she should have told Tommy sooner, he shouldn't have been so quick to cast her away. They had both made mistakes but now it was too late. She was on a train to who knows where and he wasn't sure if she could find her again.

As Tommy walked out of the supply room he promised himself that if he survived today he was going to try his hardest to find Elena. He had to find her and tell her just how much he had come to love her.

Elena

Elena was staring out the window from her seat on the train. It was five minutes until final boarding and every second she had left in Birmingham felt painfully short. She had no real plan on what she was going to do next and she couldn't yet find the heart to make a plan. Life with Tommy and the Peaky Blinders had been so bright and joyful that she expected anything else to pale in comparison.

Elena leaned back further in her seat and closed her eyes squeezing them shut to keep the tears from flowing. She loathed crying in public places and she would not be seen leaving Birmingham in tears.

"I saw them, two cars full" Elena heard a deep voice from behind her.

"Are you sure they were Kimber's boys?" his companion asked and Elena's heart raced.

"Yes! I reckon they are coming to squash the Peaky Blinders for good. It's why I got the first train out of here" the man answered back. If Kimber's men were on the way here that meant all the plans for black star day were ruined.

It would be a bloodbath.

The final whistle train blew and Elena jumped up grabbing her things.

"Miss we are just about to get going," the stewardess said noting her hurried actions.

"I need off this train!" Elena exclaimed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

376K 16.6K 51
( ๐“๐Ž๐Œ๐Œ๐˜ ๐’๐‡๐„๐‹๐๐˜ ) ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข๐˜ด ๐˜ช ๐˜ข๐˜ฎ. ( tommy shelby x beatrice price...
134K 10.1K 68
"I do bad things. But you already know that." ~ Thomas Shelby A tragic misunderstanding. A murder. A secret. An unlikely partnership. When the disapp...
60.6K 1.6K 18
"And who might you be?" "I am Tommy Shelby's first wife." What if Tommy had a wife before he met Grace. A wife that was ignored by the world but caug...