chapter 7

xx

xx

Elena:

Elena's eyes fluttered open, the events of last night rushing into her head. She was lucky to be safe, one wrong move and she would have been in a much different place this morning. Given the faint light coming through the windows, it was early morning, the sun barely making a presence. Elena sat up realizing she was in the bedroom of Thomas Shelby. It was plain, giving no insight into the life of its primary occupant. Seeing a lump beside the bed, Elena realized Tommy had slept on the floor last night. Despite whatever face he put to the world, Tommy was a good person even if just to her.

Quietly slipping out of bed she tip-toed over to his sleeping form.

"Tommy," Elena said whispering and gently shaking him "You can lay with me in bed" at the last part his eyes opened and Elena felt a smile come to her face.

"El, is everything okay?" he asked, his eyes roaming her body. Elena suddenly felt the need to cover up under his observant gaze even if he was just looking for injuries. Polly had lent her one of her sleeping robes but it still left her more undressed than she preferred.

"I'm fine but you sleeping on the floor is not, come on we can share the bed, I'll even build a pillow wall if you want but you shouldn't have to sleep on the floor for me," she said grabbing his hand to pull him up and over to the bed. The pair quickly settled in, keeping a respectful distance from each other. Despite the events of last night, Elena felt her body relax as she breathed in the warmth from her close proximity to Tommy. She had never shared a bed with a boy and she was beginning to think it was not that bad.

"Tommy?" Elena asked not sure if the man next to her was awake or not.

"Yeah?" he questioned turning to roll on his side so they were facing each other.

"Thank you, for everything," she said softly knowing she couldn't bring herself to ask about the body. No doubt Tommy had taken care of the man one way or another or he wouldn't be laying here so calmly next to her. Elena's heart hurt at the thought of herself or Tommy killing a man but at the end of the day in this life it was killed or be killed. She had no doubt that the stabbing would haunt her for years to come but at this moment she was okay.

"Anything for you El" the man across from her whispered back.

The pair spent the next several hours talking about life: Tommy's sister Ada and her new marriage to Freddie, Arthur and his troubles, and even how Tommy felt guilty for having Polly basically raise Finn. Elena listened to it all offering advice when she could but mostly she just listened. Before morning officially arrived the two troubled souls fell asleep in each other's arms, the pillow wall was long forgotten.

xx

Elena was back at the Garrison the next morning. Tommy had tried to convince her to sleep in and take the day off but she knew that the longer she avoided normal life the harder it would be. She made Polly and Tommy swear to secrecy that they wouldn't tell a soul about what had happened. Even though she knew everyone (well maybe not Grace) would be supportive, she didn't want to see their pity or sympathy. At this point, she just wanted to forget the whole thing had happened.