chapter 20

xx

xx

Elena

Elena was sitting at the betting tables watching Finn pace back and forth. They were waiting for Tommy to arrive so they could start the family meeting. She had resorted to throwing a pen in the air to pass the time, she really did wish Tommy could be early for once.

Elena looked over at Arthur sitting on her right. She had heard about the fights he had been in recently and how violent he had become. She was worried about him, about all of them really, but Arthur in particular was not adapting to day-to-day life. She made a mental note to talk to Tommy about Arthur tonight.

"Sit down, Finn" Arthur snapped at his brother clearly just as annoyed as she was with the teenager's anxious energy. Finn shot Arthur a glare before taking a seat across from Elena.

"Where the bloody hell is Tommy?" John asked clearly getting annoyed.

"He's on his way" Elena answered. At least she hoped she was on his way.

"All right then, while we're waiting patiently..." Arthur started getting up to grab a box

"Whisky. Left over from the explosion. It's good stuff, as well." he finished putting down the whisky.

Everyone started reaching for a glass as Curly poured the liquor. Finn tried to sneak his hand in to grab a glass but Elena slapped it away shooting the boy a pointed looked.

"When you can grow facial hair you can drink whisky," she told him. He only rolled his eyes in response.

"Right," John said clapping his hands together to get everyone's attention. Elena had a sinking feeling about what this was about, his growing annoyance at Tommy and the future plans had become quite evident to anyone paying attention.

"Before Tommy gets here, I think there's a few things we need to get straight between the rest of us" he finished.

"John maybe this should wait" Elena chimed in hoping to get him to cool off.

"I want to know... When did we all take a vote on this expansion south?" John said clearly ignoring Elena's warning.

"You have anything to say, you wait for Thomas," Polly said coldly. Elena was thankful that in the last few years, Polly and Tommy had become a unified front of the Peaky Blinders.

"Polly's fucking right" Arthur added in agreement and Elena shot him a thankful smile.

"I see all the books. Legal and off track. Sort of stuff you don't see. And in the past year, the Shelby Company Limited has been making £150 a day. Right? A fucking day! Sometimes more. So what I want to know is why are we changing things?" John started. That was the major difference between John and Tommy. John would be happy as long as he could live a comfortable life, while Tommy he would never settle not if there was more that could be done.