chapter 24

xx

xx

Tommy

Elena couldn't be here, she shouldn't be here.

Tommy tried to find some composure as he got over the initial shock of seeing Elena. Her face was still bruised up and her wrist was in a cast. Tommy could tell in the small ways she tensed when placing her feet back on the ground that she clearly was still in pain. When he had left her in Arthur's care she had been unconscious for over twenty-four hours and he had no doubt her concussion was still raging.

"Mr. Solomons if you wouldn't mind giving us a moment," Tommys said as he tore his eyes from Elena and looked at Alfie. He needed to get Elena out of there, she shouldn't be here for this given her condition.

"Oh, you want to use my office?" Alfie questioned and Tommy knew it was a mistake to have asked. Nothing was going to plan now that Elena was here.

"This is my fucking office. I don't give a fuck about your lovers' quarrel. Either sit down and talk business or you can leave" Alfie said roughly as he took his seat on the other end of the desk. Elena straightened up and Tommy noticed a small wince again.

"Apologies for Thomas, he's still working on his manners," Elena said to Alfie refusing to meet Tommy's eyes as he took the seat next to her. Tommy forced his mind to quiet as he resisted the urge to throw Elena over his shoulder and carry her out.

"Look at the both of you, I've seen dead bodies in better shape than you both," Alfie said pointing back and forth to Elena and Tommy.

"I'll take that as a compliment," Elena said a smirk coming to her face.

"Well, I've heard very bad, bad, bad things about you Birmingham people. You're gypsies, right? So what, do you live in a fucking tent or a caravan?" Alfie continued as Tommy lit his cigarette. He offered one to Elena but she just continued to avoid him.

"I came here to discuss business with you, Mr. Solomons," Tommy said not answering Alfie's questions.

"They say you both had your lives saved by a policeman," Alfie said looking between him and Elena.

"I have policemen on my payroll" Tommy answered quickly not wanting to get into the details of Inspector Campbell and the run-in with Sabini.

"Well, I don't like policemen because policemen, they can't be trusted" Alfie continued.

"Mr. Sabini uses policemen all the time. That's why he's winning the war in London and you are losing it," Tommy said. Alfie was wearing on his patience.

"A war ain't over until it's over, mate," Alfie rambled as he stared at Tommy. "You were in the war? I once carried out my own personal form of stigmata on an Italian. I pushed his face up against the trench and shoved a six-inch nail up his fucking nose and I hammered it home with a duckboard. It was fucking biblical, mate."