chapter 18

xx

xx

Elena

Elena had just shot Billy Kimber.

Silence filled the lane as everyone stared at her and the body unsure if they should continue fighting or not.

"Enough" Tommy interrupted the silence still holding his shoulder.

"Kimber and I fought this battle. It's over. Go home to your families" Tommy yelled, pain evident in his voice. Elena held her breath wondering if Kimber's men would believe it. If they chose to continue fighting, her head would be next on the chopping block and she had no doubt it would be heavy losses on both sides.

A few seconds of tense silence followed before Kimber's men looked at each other and decided that avenging their boss's life wasn't worth it. She guessed Kimber didn't give them a lot to be loyal to.

As the lane emptied and Elena reached Tommy he swayed before falling forward. Elena was able to grab him before he hit the ground but was struggling to lift him all the way. Tommy mumbled as he slipped in and out of consciousness.

"Arthur! John! Help!" Elena called out as she struggled to support Tommy. Arthur was instantly at her side to take the brunt of Tommy's weight. The two of them began slowly walking to the Garrison as they dragged Tommy between them. Elena didn't let herself look back as the other members of the Peaky Blinders grabbed Danny's body. She knew the feelings of guilt about Danny would come later but for now, her attention was completely on Tommy and making sure he was okay.

Arthur and Elena propped him up on an empty table and while Arthur left to find Jeremiah, she put pressure on the wound trying to slow the bleeding, Tommy had already lost a lot of blood.

"El" Tommy muttered as his eyes fluttered open as he regained consciousness. Elena met his vibrant eyes and tears instantly started flowing from her eyes. She didn't think she would ever get to look into his eyes again. And even though it was likely that he was just going to tell her to leave again she was glad she got one more day of being in his presence.

"Don't cry, I'm not dead yet," he said softly as he held her gaze. This only made her laugh and then cry harder,

"Don't you ever do that to me again" Elena whispered in response.

"Cross my heart" he promised before closing his eyes once more. Elena continued to hold pressure until Arthur and Jeremiah arrived. Elena knew that Jeremiah had some medical background from the war and he was going to have to dig the bullet out of Tommy and then sew him up.

"You might want to leave for this," Arthur said to Elena as Jeremiah prepped his supplies.

"I'm not leaving until he asks me to" she answered. Arthur nodded his head in respect before going to stand on the other side of Tommy.

"You two are going to have to hold him down. I think this will wake him up" Jeremiah explained as he leaned over Tommy, tweezers at the ready. Arthur and Elena both nodded in response and Jeremiah went in.