chapter 35

xx

xx

Elena

"Tommy won't like this," John said turning to Elena as they approached the jail. It had been close to a week since everything went down, and Elena and John were currently in London to visit Arthur and perform a task for Tommy.

"Well, I guess you better not tell him then, eh?" Elena replied snarkily as they arrived at the main jail courtyard and a pair of officers approached them. It had been quite the challenge to get Tommy to allow her to come to London at all. While things between them the last few days had been more civil than in the past weeks, there was still a world of distance between them. Tommy had only allowed her to accompany John to London with the promise that she would spend her time waiting with Johnny Dogs instead of going into the jail. What Tommy didn't know wouldn't hurt him as she wasn't going to miss an opportunity to see Arthur.

"Put your arms up." The older officer snapped at the pair. Elena rolled her eyes at the dramatics but complied nevertheless.

The younger one got to work patting her down looking for weapons while she stared off into the distance.

"Mind the front" she snapped as his hands approached her upper torso. The officer's face reddened as he quickly completed the search. Guess he would be none the wiser to the switchblade in her brassiere then.

"Oh, what've we got here then?" The older officer said to John as he confiscated his hat with a razor sewn in. Elena had told him to leave it in the car but he had been too stubborn to listen.

"Get your fuckin' hands off me" Elena heard Arthur's familiar rough voice say as he stepped into the courtyard. Elena did a quick scan of him, he was walking but he looked significantly skinnier and more bruised than the last time she saw him.

"There they are. Look even little El has come to visit me" Arthur said shooting her a big smile.

"What am I, chopped liver? You been enjoying yourself?" John added as a matching grin came to his face as well.

"Oh, yeah, it's fucking great. Surrounded by Sabini's men. Rats everywhere. Fucking cockneys."

"Amen," Elena said under her breath earning herself another grin from Arthur.

"Well, at least you're going to get what you've always wanted" John added.

"And what's that?" Arthur asked as he stepped closer to the pair. The officers had moved to the side of the courtyard, giving them much more space than usual thanks to the hefty bribe they had paid on the way in.

"Well, you tried to hang yourself twice. Now the King is gonna do it for you." John said with a smirk. Elena sent the younger Shelby an elbow to the side for his poor attempt at humor.

"I've been a fuckin' idiot. I haven't appreciated nothing, John." Arthur said solemnly

"Are you fucking repenting or something?" John snapped.