chapter 30

xx

xx

Tommy

Tommy slowed his pace as he entered the cemetery. He had wanted to hand deliver the money to the Digbeth kid's family and to pay his final respects in person.

"Whatever they say or do, let them get it out. They have a right to be angry and grieve" Tommy said quietly to Elena who was at his side. She was still in a sling to immobilize her shoulder after the dislocation a week ago. He hadn't wanted her to come knowing this was going to be a hard day but she had been insistent.

Elena just nodded her head sullenly in response. She always had an air of confidence in her, something he admired, but right now she looked like she might be sick from nerves.

Tommy adjusted his hat approaching the grave when the kid's mother finally noticed them. As she stormed over, Tommy took a deep breath bracing himself for all the words he deserved.

Tommy barely felt the slap as the woman screamed at him "You monster. You killed him. You killed my son". Tommy let the woman continue her tyrant until the woman's friend finally arrived and pulled her off of him.

A quick glance at Elena told him that she was barely holding back the tears as she clenched her jaw and avoided eye contact.

"Missy, stop. That is Mr. Shelby" the friend said physically restraining the mother.

"I don't give a shit who they are, it should be them in that casket not my Harold," the woman said sending a glare to Tommy and then Elena.

Stepping between the mother's glare and Elena, Tommy pulled her attention back to himself.

"For Harold," Tommy said handing over the thick envelope, a far greater sum than was to be expected and something he hoped would at least ensure the boy's mother and sister never had to worry about money again. It would never be enough but it was all he could offer.

The woman grabbed the money wordlessly before turning to go.

"I am so sorry Ms. Hancox," Elena yelled out from beside him causing the mother to turn. The leader of The Peaky Blinders could not apologize, and could not show any sign of weakness. But no matter how powerful they got, Elena would never hide that softness, her emotions ran too deep for her to hide them. For that, Tommy was thankful, for saying the words he couldn't

"Sorry doesn't save my son," the woman said in response before storming away leaving Elena and Tommy to watch as the men started slowly piling dirt into the grave.

"Does it ever get easier?" Elena whispered next to him as she brushed a few stray tears from her eyes.

"No, you just get more numb" Tommy answered honestly as he watched the casket get buried with more and more dirt. The mother was right, it should be him in that casket, he was no doubt far more deserving of such a death than the boy he had sent to an early grave.