chapter 16

xx

xx

Elena:

Today was the day. Today was the day Elena was to leave Birmingham and never return. It had been two days since Elena had been cast out by Tommy Shelby and each day she felt herself grow all the more miserable. She had kept herself occupied, ensuring Grace left the city and packing up the few things she owned. But really she was just delaying the inevitable.

Elena stared at her empty apartment seeing there was nothing else to do. She was traveling by train so there was little she could take with her, especially as she wasn't sure when she would have a permanent address again.

She looked out her window noting the capped man watching her from across the street. One of Tommy's men to ensure she was leaving soon no doubt. Since she had returned to her apartment yesterday there had been someone stationed across the street acting as a permanent reminder that her time in Birmingham was limited.

Elena's body tensed as she heard a knock at her door. Worried that it was someone here to apply some force to her leaving, Elena grabbed the dagger from her purse before walking to the door. Bracing her body and with the dagger ready to strike she opened the door expecting to see one of the Peaky Blinder men when instead she came face to face with Polly.

"Jesus Elena you could have taken my eye out," the woman remarked as she pushed past Elena into her empty apartment. Elena took a few moments to calm her racing heartbeat before shutting the door and turning to meet Polly.

"If Tommy sent you, you can tell him I'm leaving today. I have a train ticket to prove it" Elena told Polly as she watched her inspect what was left of her things.

"Tommy didn't send me" Polly answered. Elena was surprised to see Polly here if Tommy hadn't sent her. She had no doubts in her mind that the family had learned of her real identity and she was sure they were all getting in line to punish her for the supposed betrayal.

"Came to see the liar for yourself then?" Elena asked hurt evident in her voice. She knew that if Polly wanted to hurt her she would let her. She had come to love the woman in front of her like family and she knew that she couldn't hurt Polly.

"You know I meet your father once years ago. Now that I know who you really are I see the resemblance, you share the same eyes. The question is do you share the same heart?" Polly asked as she looked Elena over.

"I wish I shared nothing with that man" Elena spit.

"Not the loyal spy then?" Polly questioned.

"Not a spy at all, not that you would believe me. My father believes I am dead so I am unsure how I could be both dead and a spy to him" Elena answered honestly. She was unsure why she was telling these things to Polly. Polly would no doubt have already taken Tommy's side but she felt she had to get the truth out there even if it would not be believed.