chapter 19

xx

xx

[2 Years Later]

Elena

It had been two years. Two years since Billy Kimber and his men had attacked and the Peaky Blinders narrowly won. Two years since Tommy had asked her to stay. Two years of planning their next move.

During that time Elena had come to love Small Heath more than she could have ever imagined, it was her home. She still served as Thomas's secretary but she was really the de facto third in command of the Peaky Blinders, behind Tommy and Polly.

Despite all the Peaky Blinders' success in the last couple of years, that success had done nothing to save Freddie Throne who had passed due to influenza currently going around Small Heath.

Elena grabbed Tommy's hand squeezing in encouragement as the priest wrapped up his final words. Freddie had been a member of the family as Ada's husband but he had also been a childhood friend to Tommy, his funeral would not be easy for anyone.

Tommy gave her hand a quick squeeze back before clearing his throat.

"I promised my friend Freddie Thorne that I'd say a few words over his grave if he should pass before me. I made this promise before he became my brother-in-law. When we were in France, fighting for the King" Tommy started.

"Amen," Arthur chimed in.

"And in the end, it wasn't war that took Freddie. Pestilence took him. But Freddie passed on his soul and his spirit to a new generation - before he was cruelly taken" Tommy finished as he looked at Karl, Ada's and Freddie's son.

The funeral quickly wrapped up after a few more people said their peace. Elena stayed by Tommy's side throughout, offering any silent support she could.

"I have to talk to Ada, come with me?" Tommy asked quietly to Elena as people began dispersing. Ada had been distant the past two years choosing not to associate with the Peaky Blinders. Now that Freddie was gone, Elena had no doubt that Ada would only alienate herself more.

"Of course" Elena offered in support as she followed Tommy to meet Ada.

"We thought, now Freddie's gone you might come back to Birmingham," Tommy said in way of greeting as they walked next to Ada. Despite it being her husband's funeral Ada appeared her normal self, just more reserved. Elena knew that under the surface she was breaking, Ada and Freddie had truly loved one another.

"God, do you know how funny it is that you've got chauffeurs in uniform now?" Ada said clearly not wanting to discuss her future plans.

"It's just for the occasion, Ada." Tommy curtly responded. Elena walked alongside the siblings keeping quiet as she hoped they could find a resolution without her acting as a buffer. Tommy and Ada were so similar in their stubbornness that she wasn't feeling optimistic about the conversation.