chapter 33

xx

xx

Tommy

His car had broken down. His fucking car had run out of gas in the middle of the countryside and now he wouldn't be able to check on his horse's progress. Even without stopping to see the horse, with this delay, he would be much later than expected returning to Small Heath. As he walked the ten kilometers back to his car, petrol in hand, he felt like this was the universe's way of paying him back, at least partially, for his actions towards Elena. Truly he deserved a lot more from the universe for his actions.

Taking a quick glance at his watch he saw it was already five in the afternoon. Given the distance he still had to walk and then the long drive back to Small Heath he reckoned he wouldn't even arrive back until past midnight. He doubted anyone in Small Heath would even notice his late arrival back. The more he withdrew from Elena, the more distant he felt from the rest of his family. Once he returned he would have to give May a call to explain why he didn't stop by, not that he minded avoiding the obnoxious flirtatious looks but he still had to keep it civil so she looked after the horse properly.

"I said six fucking cans of petrol not four" he cursed Curly as he continued walking, rolling up the sleeves of his shirt. He had ditched his jacket several kilometers back, it was simply too hot to wear or carry. As the late afternoon sun beat down on his back, the promise of seeing Elena was what kept him going at a steady pace. She would no doubt be asleep when he was back but perhaps that was for the better so he could check in on her freely.

"Fucking Curly" he cursed again.

xx

Tommy's car pulled up outside his apartment. It was three in the morning and Small Heath was eerily quiet; most of the drunkards had already stumbled home and the first morning shifts had yet to start.

"'Morning Tommy" Scudboat called leaning on the building across the street while smoking a cigarette as Tommy climbed out of the car.

"Is Daisy givin' you trouble again?" Tommy asked with a chuckle as he rummaged for his keys. It wouldn't be the first time Scudboat had slept on Tommy's sofa because of his donkey.

"Nah Daisy's been good recently. I'm here because John ordered an extra pair of eyes on the apartment, at least for tonight " he replied finishing his cigarette. His words made Tommy suddenly stop, why would they need an extra night watch? He had guards on Elena during the day but either Finn or him was always at the apartment at night so it wasn't a worry. Unless something had happened.

"You better start explaining. Are Elena and Finn upstairs?" he asked harshly coming to cross the street to face Scudboat.

"Jesus you are cranky this morning, should have just held my tongue," the man said not wanting to meet Tommy's intense glare.

"Scud" Tommy warned.

"Alright Alright. El, Michael, and Isaiah had a bit of an altercation at the Marquis. They're all alright, they held their own. But Arthur and John took care of the collateral, if you know what I'm saying, so in case there was any retaliation, they wanted an extra pair of eyes on El. I told 'em nobody would be that stupid to act after the state of the Marquis but you weren't here and John can be quite scary when he's mad so here I am" Scudboat explained pulling out another cigarette.