chapter 8

xx

xx

Elena:

"Hello sir, I am so terribly sorry but I think I got lost. I'm just looking for my horse's rider. Dandy flower, my horse, you may have heard about her" Elena babbled to the guard currently blocking the door they needed to get through. Tommy was tense at her side.

"Name?" the guard asked clearly not interested in chit-chat.

"Lady Sarah Duggan of Connemara. I'm sure you have heard of me. Now if you could just point me in the right direction" Elena started before being interrupted.

"And who is he?" the guard pointed at Tommy. Give it her luck to have the one guard that actually cared about his job be working the post they needed to get through.

"Oh him.... He's my horse's trainer, Sebastian. He's Prussian and doesn't speak a lick of English but at least he's nice to look at, am I right" Elena said putting her arm through Tommy's. The guard was clearly not amused with her trying to make light of the situation -- time to try a different tactic.

"Sir, not to be rude but it is my time of the month and if I don't get to where I need to go soon I might start bleeding through my dress. Is that what you want? Now point me to where I can find the riders before the race" she said firmly. The man's face turned red as he was uncomfortable talking about Elena's menstrual cycle. He quickly ushered them into the room not wanting to be around Elena any longer than necessary.

Phase one of their mission was complete, they had made it to the ballroom with Billy Kimber.

"Well, that's one way to get in," Tommy said with a sly smile on his face.

"Men really are that simple, Sebastian" she smiled back. The pair surveyed the room locating Billy Kimber and his advisor working in the corner.

"Lady Duggan, may I have this dance?" Tommy asked, offering his hand.

"Of course Sebastian you know I only have eyes for you, just don't tell my husband," she said laughing as Tommy pulled her close.

The pair danced together for a few songs slowly making their way closer to Kimber. The goal was to get his attention then find Arthur and deliver the cash. Elena found she quite enjoyed dancing with Tommy despite the circumstances. He effortlessly led her through various tempos and styles.

"Has he taken the bait?" Tommy whispered into her ear as he twirled her around.

"Negative" she responded. He then dipped her backward, his strong arms holding her waist. "Though keep that up and I'll end up getting sick, That will get his attention don't you think?" she laughed watching a scowl overtake Thomas's face. He notably did not dip her backwards again.

As the pair continued to dance Elena sneaked a glance over at Kimber meeting his eyes. "We got him," she said a flirtatious smile coming to her face.

Tommy quickly led them away, Kimber's eyes trying to follow them through the crowd. Elena found John and Arthur coming out of the cupboard behind the bar. She was glad to see them not too injured after their run-in with the Lees.