chapter 10

xx

xx

Tommy:

Today was the day that would change the Shelbys' future forever. Kimber was on his way to deliver the first official legal betting license. The Shelby company was finally going legal, at least partially.

Tommy looked around at the busy shop noting Elena sitting next to Polly. He had tried to convince the girl to leave not wanting her to see Kimber again but she insisted on staying. He was a smart enough man to know that when Elena had her mind set on something there was nothing short of divine intervention that was going to change it.

Hearing the familiar hum of the vehicle, Tommy stood up to greet Mr. Kimber and his accountant, Mr. Roberts. Shooting a wink at Elena on the way out, Tommy arrived at the vehicle.

"Mr. Kimber. Mr. Roberts. Come and have a look around" Tommy said walking them to the door. After you" he said allowing the pair to enter and absorb the atmosphere. Everyone was supposed to be on their best behavior today, Tommy had made sure of that. As they walked to the office he noticed Kimber staring at Elena. As if sensing trouble she looked away from her conversation with Polly and barely missed a beat before waving and shooting a wink at Kimber who quickly looked away. Apparently, everyone but Elena had decided to listen to the best behavior announcement.

"Business is good. Especially since now you know which horse is going to win before you set the odds" Mr. Roberts noted.

"Your information is very much appreciated" Tommy answered honestly.

"Right, well, where are they?" Kimber asked clearly wanting to get out of there as fast as possible.

"John, Lovelock, Scudboat, in here" Tommy called out making quick eye contact with Elena who gave him an encouraging smile. She knew how important this was for Tommy.

"This is my team. They will take up their pitch at your convenience, Mr Kimber. John is the book. Scudboat is the bag man. And, of course, we bring our own protection." Tommy said pointing at each of the members of the team.

"Warwick, next Saturday. At least fifty yards from the beer tent. And please don't bring that barmaid" Mr. Kimber said handing over the official license before shaking Tommy's hands. Sensing his desire to leave the building Tommy walked them out.

Walking back inside with a large smile on his face Tommy interrupted the office chatter "Gentlemen... And ladies" he added nodding at Polly and Elena

"I have in my hand a legal betting license. Issued by the board of control. The Shelby family has its first legal racetrack pitch" he announced as everyone cheered around him. He walked over to Elena throwing his arm around her shoulder and pulling her in close.

"We're an official business, Elena," he said softly to her wanting to celebrate with her the most.

"Congratulations Tommy. There was never a doubt in my mind that you could do it" she said smiling back at him. Pulling back he went over to hug Polly and his brothers. Despite the excitement of the day Tommy still felt nervous thinking about what he was going to ask Elena later.