chapter 34

xx

xx

Tommy

Tommy's car pulled up outside the betting hall. He had raced back as fast as the car would allow after receiving the panicked phone call from Elena. Michael was arrested for arson, Arthur was taken in for the murder of Billy Kitchen, and the entire business was in shambles. Everything they had built had fallen apart in one night.

"Have a nice vacation?" Elena greeted him as she opened the front door having heard his car.

"Are you okay?" he asked, quickly scanning her face. He didn't fully believe her when she had said on the phone that she was unharmed but she appeared to have no new injuries. He did however note the dark circles under her eyes, she probably had been up all night trying to do anything to help. He should have been here, he should have never left.

"I'm the least of the worries. What are we going to do about Michael and Arthur? I tried to talk to the police but they won't say a damn thing" she responded as she nervously fidgeted with her fingers.

"We'll get them out" Tommy promised before continuing, "I'll go try and talk to Campbell now to see what I can learn about the charges". He knew Campbell had been the orchestrator of all this, he just had to figure out what he wanted.

"I'll come with, let me just grab my jacket," Elena said turning to grab her things.

"No. I'm going alone" Tommy said stopping her actions.

"You're still doing this? You're still going to push me away?" El asked with a glare. Tommy knew that she just wanted to help but even with all that had happened, he would not risk bringing her to Campbell. Her safety would always come first.

"El please I can't deal with this right now. Just try and handle things here I'll be back in an hour or so" he said running his hands through his hair. Just another thing to add to the list of things he's screwed up.

"Yes sir," she remarked snarkily not meeting his eyes as she took her seat back at the table.

He gave her one final look before heading to the door.

xx

"Hey!" Tommy yelled as he stormed into the church "We had a fucking deal."

"I would thank you to moderate your language in a place of worship," Campbell said dismissively as he continued to read his paper. Tommy was going to have to do a lot more than watch his language if Campbell kept this up.

"We had a fucking deal" Tommy snarled again ripping the paper out of Campbell's hands.

"Mr Shelby. If you read the papers, you might have seen that the Home Secretary has got himself into a bit of a fizz about certain moral issues. Prostitution. Protection, racketeering, drinking, cocaine, and, of course, gambling. And he's demanded results." Campbell lectured calmly.