chapter 32

xx

xx

Tommy

Tommy had just finished visiting the residence of Henry Russell, the man he was to kill. He had waited outside to see how long it would take before the police approached him, thirty-three seconds was all it took before he was questioned. It was nowhere near enough time to slip into the house. This assignment was a death sentence for him.

Tommy knocked on the door in front of him. He had a few things for Ada to sign before he was on to his next destination. As he waited for the door to open, his mind went to Elena. He didn't like being away from her for multiple days. Even though they were barely talking he still felt safer having her in close proximity. He trusted Scudboat and his brothers to protect her but he couldn't help but worry.

"Oh." a male voice said as the door opened. Tommy looked up to see a tall gangly young man at Ada's threshold, not at all the type of person he expected to answer.

"I'm looking for Ada," Tommy announced with a glare. He didn't know this man and he certainly didn't like him if he was with his sister unaccompanied.

"Who are you?" the man asked. Tommy only pushed past him, he didn't need to answer to him.

"Ada" Tommy greeted his sister as he entered the main sitting room. She was in her dressing robe even though it was nearly noon.

"I asked you a question." The man demanded with a huff coming to stand next to Tommy.

"It's all right, James. This is my brother." Ada said lazily as she continued to read her paper

"Who's he?" Tommy demanded. She really should know better than to have men over when she was just in her robe.

"He rents a room," Ada said flipping the page, unbothered.

"You need to rent out rooms?" Tommy questioned. He had bought the house outright so she didn't have to worry about things like this.

"Actually, she doesn't charge rent." James piped in. Tommy sent him a glare from over his shoulder.

"He's a writer, which means he's skint," she added.

'You get up late these days, Ada." Tommy remarked drawing attention to her attire.

"Mmm. I go to bed late. What do you want, Tommy?" she asked. Clearly noticing he was still glaring at James she continued, "Oh, God, before you start sizing him up for a wedding suit, he's not interested in me. Or in girls of any kind".

"Ada!" James yelled. Honestly, that was just about the only thing Ada could have said to make him like James more. Truly it was the perfect setup, people would be less likely to break in with a male presence but James was no threat to Ada.

"What? Tommy won't judge you. He sure as hell won't go to the police" she defended herself.

"Look, I'll go and get dressed" James mumbled turning to leave.