Canary - Thomas Shelby

By emigirl77

In which a girl attempts to outrun her past only to catch the attention of the ruthless leader of the Peaky B... More

foreword
part 1
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
part 2
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38

chapter 10

5K 135 5
By emigirl77

xx

Tommy:

Today was the day that would change the Shelbys' future forever. Kimber was on his way to deliver the first official legal betting license. The Shelby company was finally going legal, at least partially.

Tommy looked around at the busy shop noting Elena sitting next to Polly. He had tried to convince the girl to leave not wanting her to see Kimber again but she insisted on staying. He was a smart enough man to know that when Elena had her mind set on something there was nothing short of divine intervention that was going to change it.

Hearing the familiar hum of the vehicle, Tommy stood up to greet Mr. Kimber and his accountant, Mr. Roberts. Shooting a wink at Elena on the way out, Tommy arrived at the vehicle.

"Mr. Kimber. Mr. Roberts. Come and have a look around" Tommy said walking them to the door. After you" he said allowing the pair to enter and absorb the atmosphere. Everyone was supposed to be on their best behavior today, Tommy had made sure of that. As they walked to the office he noticed Kimber staring at Elena. As if sensing trouble she looked away from her conversation with Polly and barely missed a beat before waving and shooting a wink at Kimber who quickly looked away. Apparently, everyone but Elena had decided to listen to the best behavior announcement.

"Business is good. Especially since now you know which horse is going to win before you set the odds" Mr. Roberts noted.

"Your information is very much appreciated" Tommy answered honestly.

"Right, well, where are they?" Kimber asked clearly wanting to get out of there as fast as possible.

"John, Lovelock, Scudboat, in here" Tommy called out making quick eye contact with Elena who gave him an encouraging smile. She knew how important this was for Tommy.

"This is my team. They will take up their pitch at your convenience, Mr Kimber. John is the book. Scudboat is the bag man. And, of course, we bring our own protection." Tommy said pointing at each of the members of the team.

"Warwick, next Saturday. At least fifty yards from the beer tent. And please don't bring that barmaid" Mr. Kimber said handing over the official license before shaking Tommy's hands. Sensing his desire to leave the building Tommy walked them out.

Walking back inside with a large smile on his face Tommy interrupted the office chatter "Gentlemen... And ladies" he added nodding at Polly and Elena

"I have in my hand a legal betting license. Issued by the board of control. The Shelby family has its first legal racetrack pitch" he announced as everyone cheered around him. He walked over to Elena throwing his arm around her shoulder and pulling her in close.

"We're an official business, Elena," he said softly to her wanting to celebrate with her the most.

"Congratulations Tommy. There was never a doubt in my mind that you could do it" she said smiling back at him. Pulling back he went over to hug Polly and his brothers. Despite the excitement of the day Tommy still felt nervous thinking about what he was going to ask Elena later.

Elena:

"We moor them at junctions... so there's more than one way out. No locks within a mile so we can move that stuff fast." Elena heard Arthur's voice say as she walked into the Garrison for the start of her shift. Grace must be asking questions again.

"Your brother doesn't obey the law, but he has rules. A precise man, your brother" Grace answered as Elena walked to the office noticing Grace looking over paperwork. She had told Arthur multiple times already to stop answering Grace's questions but he had brushed off her worries as paranoia. Since Arthur had become the owner, Grace had thrown all her attention to getting information out of him and he didn't seem to mind as he come to rely on her for checking math and paperwork. Elena had tried to help Arthur whenever she could but as she spent most of her free time with Tommy she wasn't there as often as she would like, leaving an opening for Grace.

"Yes, Tommy is a precise man" Elena interrupted as both Grace and Arthur looked at her standing at the door of the office. Grace shot her a glare while Arthur looked at her guilty knowing she had overheard the information sharing again. "Will you help me with the kegs Grace?" She asked wanting to get the girl away from Arthur before he told her everything.

After replacing the kegs and dealing with a clearly annoyed Grace, the rest of the shift passed fairly peacefully. Before she knew it, it was dark outside and Tommy was waiting at the end of the bar for her. He had kept to his promise of always being there for her at the end of her shift to walk her home. Though lately, she had been spending the night with Tommy. Not that they were doing anything exciting, much to her disappointment, but the pair simply enjoyed each other's company and often would spend hours talking before inevitably falling asleep at each other's places.

"Are you ready to go?" Tommy asked as she approached him. She was officially off the clock as Grace and Harry would be closing tonight.

"Yes sir. Where we going, you're place or mine?"

"Let's go to mine," he said grabbing her hand and pulling her out into the streets. Walking in Birmingham next to Thomas Shelby was an interesting experience, to say the least. People crossed the street to avoid them, Elena swear she even saw one older lady start saying the rosary as they walked by. But by his side, she felt safer than she had in years.

Arriving at Tommy's house he pulled her in and shut the door. Without saying a word he deposited her at the kitchen table before going to make her tea.

"You're quiet tonight," she remarked watching him as he followed her exact recipe. She had trained him well.

"Got lots of my mind" he answer honestly bringing the two cups over to the table.

"Tell me, you know you can always talk to me," she said taking a sip of her tea. Brewed to perfection.

"I want you to stop working at the Garrison," he said catching Elena by surprise.

"Tommy I have to work. I need money to afford my apartment and stuff" Elena responded. While the incident a few weeks ago had shaken her she was not going to hide and be weak. Plus she really did need the money even with all of Tommy's generous gifts.

"I want you to work for me. For the Peaky Blinders really. There is no one I would trust more and with things getting more busy I need an assistant" he answered.

"Are you sure?" Elena asked a smile coming to her face. She didn't mind working at the Garrison but she had never felt like it fulfilled her. While she didn't know a lot about being an assistant she couldn't think of something more fun than working with the Shelby family every day.

"Elena I would be so lucky to have you work for me" he answered honestly grabbing his hand. "But I have to tell you something else before you accept. Something that might change your mind"

She met his eyes nodding that he should continue "Elena I like you. I like spending time with you and I want to be around you every second. Even though I don't know how to do it, I want to do right by you" he said looking nervous for the first time since Elena had met him.

"Are you asking me to be your girlfriend Mr. Shelby?" Elena asked grabbing his hand. Elena could think of nothing to make her happier than being in a relationship with Tommy. Since the races, she had been waiting for him to take the next move. She had never kissed anyone before kissing Tommy but it left her convinced she didn't need to kiss anyone else to know that it wasn't usually like that. She felt alive when she kissed him. But before she said yes she had to come clean about who she was. Maybe then she could tell Tommy about Grace and be free from the guilt.

"I feel like I must tell you something about my past, something that might change your mind" Elena continued pulling her hand away from Tommy's. She was nervous about what he would think. He might not want to associate with her for being a Sabini even though she had tried to outrun that past.

"Elena I don't care about your past. You could have been the King's mistress for all I care. What matters is here and now. So please El" he said leaning in closer and grabbing her hand again.

"Yes," Elena said as tears threatened to spill from her eyes as she leaned in to kiss him. The pair kissed like they needed each other to breathe.

Maybe Elena should have fought harder, should have insisted that she told Thomas about all her past. But she was scared, scared of what he would think of her. So she took the coward's way out and leaned into Tommy's fantasy that the past didn't matter. But Elena Sabini's past was like a curse, and it would always find its way to rip everything apart.

xx

It was much later that night and Elena was laying next to Tommy. He had his arms firmly across her stomach, keeping her close even in unconsciousness.

She thought of all the events of the day and how she would now officially be working for the Peaky Blinders. Tommy ran his gang much differently than her father's. Under her father's rule, it had been his word or death, with no room for discussion. But Tommy had already told her that he wanted her to disagree with him, to challenge him. She wasn't just to be his secretary but also his advisor.

As she snuggled in closer to Tommy she felt in the pit of her stomach that she was waiting for the other shoe to drop. That life couldn't be this good because when had fate been kind to Elena? You know what they say, all good things must come to an end.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

826K 22.2K 53
In which Thomas Shelby draws up an alliance between his family and that of his rival, not knowing that it's to have far more complications than he th...
183K 5.3K 18
NOW ENTERED IN THE WATTYS2020 The beauty from Glasgow and the King of Birmingham. An unlikely pairing find themselves working together to stay alive...
246K 5.1K 45
❝ I would like a soulmate for tomorrow, yet tonight I could use a whiskey-loving companion. ❞ Tommy Shelby x female!oc Peaky Blinders season one, [c...
484K 9.5K 42
"She is kind, heart made of honey. He is reserved, the opposite of sunny. No one would ever think they would be together. But they are the moon and...